What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization VI - Oct. 2016 (2 Viewers)

Just purchased digital deluxe version, and I'm very disappointed.   I really don't see any upgrade over Civ V.   It's just more of the same old #### on a less intuitive interface.

I'm liking some of the new elements of Rise & Fall, particularly taking out rival governors and fomenting unrest.  Turn opponent city into free city, conquer, move spies, repeat.  

Just purchased digital deluxe version, and I'm very disappointed.   I really don't see any upgrade over Civ V.   It's just more of the same old #### on a less intuitive interface.
Yeah, I played a bit of VI, but the AI is trash, diplomacy sucks, and I'm not a fan of the layout. Just didn't care for it.

Luckily, I recently discovered the Vox Populi mod for Civ V, so that's been my jam lately.

The new release for VI improved VI much like the add-on's for V did.. Still needs some work on the AI and the scoring, which is still to dependent on fighting/war then diplomacy.

But the AI is better, at least on King level and the new things they added will take some learning to use them the right way .. see you again in a week or two ;)

The new release for VI improved VI much like the add-on's for V did.. Still needs some work on the AI and the scoring, which is still to dependent on fighting/war then diplomacy.

But the AI is better, at least on King level and the new things they added will take some learning to use them the right way .. see you again in a week or two ;)
Cultural victory as Tamar.  Between spies neutralizing governors (basically takes them off the board for 10 turns) and fomenting unrest with a few highly decorated spies, I didn't even have to go to war with Spain to kick them off the continent.  Spanish cities would revolt and become Free cities.  Then I'd roll in and take them over (and no, I'm not liberating them back to Spain :lol: ).  

I like the changes.  You can't just coast for really any length of time or you end up in a Dark Age.  That sucks

Cultural victory as Tamar.  Between spies neutralizing governors (basically takes them off the board for 10 turns) and fomenting unrest with a few highly decorated spies, I didn't even have to go to war with Spain to kick them off the continent.  Spanish cities would revolt and become Free cities.  Then I'd roll in and take them over (and no, I'm not liberating them back to Spain :lol: ).  

I like the changes.  You can't just coast for really any length of time or you end up in a Dark Age.  That sucks
yea.. Had that happen.. was rolling along and got to a point where I was just "coasting" and noticed it was red and I had 5 turns to do something about it..

Not surprising, I didn't change things and to the Dark ages we go!! :oldunsure:

snogger said:
yea.. Had that happen.. was rolling along and got to a point where I was just "coasting" and noticed it was red and I had 5 turns to do something about it..

Not surprising, I didn't change things and to the Dark ages we go!! :oldunsure:
I went immediately into the Dark Ages starting a religion with Tamar, but once that was launched, Golden Ages almost the entire rest of the way.  One 'normal' age.

Did the algorithm for the scoring ever get published?

Just started playing last week.   Trying to win domination on emperor setting while playing Indonesia; at turn 380, tapped out all the civic and science trees about 40 or 50 turns ago.  I'm currently fighting Australia, while Rome sits at the #1 spot.   The war with Australia is undeclared, as we just reaffirmed our friendship.   Is this some sort of weird glitch, or an hidden game feature?    It started with Australia pillaging my improvements around one city, and I could only counterattack with navy units.   After about 15 turns of that Australia suddenly brought the air attacks, and my air force and army can now attack land units and cities.   My air force still can't hit their navy.

Signed,

Confused

PS Aussies are a very strong civ, and I love the outback station improvement, but I was lucky enough the start the game near Auckland, and the Auckland bonus added to my Kampungs (or whatever they're called) makes small island cities just outstanding, and Indonesia a really powerful civ.

Oof.  I didn't know Indonesia was an option.  Did she come in a DLC?

No idea why the game is behaving like that.  I play all the time and see a lot of weird crap.  Usually just closing and re-opening the game helps.  Other than that, it might be a mod affecting it, but if you just started you probably haven't loaded any yet.

Oof.  I didn't know Indonesia was an option.  Did she come in a DLC?

No idea why the game is behaving like that.  I play all the time and see a lot of weird crap.  Usually just closing and re-opening the game helps.  Other than that, it might be a mod affecting it, but if you just started you probably haven't loaded any yet.
Probably DLC.   

Just started playing last week.   Trying to win domination on emperor setting while playing Indonesia; at turn 380, tapped out all the civic and science trees about 40 or 50 turns ago.  I'm currently fighting Australia, while Rome sits at the #1 spot.   The war with Australia is undeclared, as we just reaffirmed our friendship.   Is this some sort of weird glitch, or an hidden game feature?    It started with Australia pillaging my improvements around one city, and I could only counterattack with navy units.   After about 15 turns of that Australia suddenly brought the air attacks, and my air force and army can now attack land units and cities.   My air force still can't hit their navy.

Signed,

Confused

PS Aussies are a very strong civ, and I love the outback station improvement, but I was lucky enough the start the game near Auckland, and the Auckland bonus added to my Kampungs (or whatever they're called) makes small island cities just outstanding, and Indonesia a really powerful civ.
I know this post is old but if you start up a game you have saved (lets say at 150 turns) before a DLC dropped then continue to play it - expect really weird stuff..  Always best to just start fresh after a DLC.

Tip of the day: don't forget to move your governors around.  Especially the one that allows cities to make fisheries.  Great setting up your coastal cities with food bonanzas.

Looking forward to this.  Recently got the main game (about a few months ago) and have been playing it non-stop.

I still find myself going back to it all the time; trying out some of the new mods, etc.  Rarely finish a game; just get to the point where I know I can't lose and try something else.  Despite its flaws (AI can't mount an effective large-scale attack - how could you program that?) it still remains a monumentally engaging game.

Been awhile since I took the plunge into Civ. I see the price as dropped as low as $15 on steam lately. Might jump back on.

Did they ever fix AI diplomatic stuff?  Was frustrating to get warmonger status and be stuck with it for 250 turns.  

Rolling people over is fun but I played mostly GOTM and they don't just do domination or bust. 

Did they ever fix AI diplomatic stuff?  Was frustrating to get warmonger status and be stuck with it for 250 turns.  

Rolling people over is fun but I played mostly GOTM and they don't just do domination or bust. 
Yeah it sounds like in the new upcoming expansion they completely reworked the entire diplomatic system.  Instead of warmonger stuff you now get grievances which should help prevent the dumb warmonger penalty when you defend yourself or retake your own city.   http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Grievances_(Civ6)

Still has some weird Warmonger.. In the middle of a game now where Everyone but the Civ I was at war with denounced me.. after I took over/destroyed all his cities but his capital, he offered peace +200 Gold per turn.. I accepted to rest my troops..

5 turns later, that Civ had changed from Angry to "upset" and allowed me to establish an embassy.. Yet I still am denounced as a "War Monger" by all others.. :lol:

The warmongering penalty decreases over time and the other Civs eventually come around, but if it was a long war you need a long peace.  Doesn't seem all that 'real-world' but it's a simulation.  The denouncements expire eventually (unless they decide to use it to attack).

It is funny how fast they want to make nice after you kick their ###.

Bought a Switch so I could play this with the wife.  Turns out there is no multiplayer (unless I buy another Switch and another game).  Bull####. Super pissed.

Just came across the Game of Thrones mod out on the workshop.  All I can say is WOW.  All the factions, locations, wildfire and dragons!

I just fired up a game of Civ the other day and have been playing on again/off again... But it was Civ III.

:lmao:

I own a copy of IV but never really played it. Never bought 5 or 6. 

Watching a video titled "Surrounded by VOLCANOES!!" .. It is 30 minutes so has a lot of info if you are bored. ;)

Something I noticed watching it is there is a new "Warmonger" settings that may help fix what many of us have complained about.

Bought GS and like it, particularly the new "rock band" unit.  I've got Weezer & Radiohead each touring India and Georgia right now.  FYI, Radiohead outperforming Weezer as of right now :)

:bs:

4:57 - video is attempting to show a player choosing "Carbon Recapture"  while at the same time "Giant Death Robot" was available.

Nobody would ever make that decision.
Finally got around to getting this - I picked up a Giant Death Robot from a Great Person (scientist I think).  I was going for a science victory - but it was nice to take the robot out for a spin - demolishing cities along the way...

I don't notice a whole lot difference in game play - the natural disasters are there, but I still try to settle on rivers - I do avoid being right next to a volcano.  Building dams - which can be converted to hydro-electric energy is just another step now.  Same thing with the coast - seas will rise, but you have plenty of time to build coastal flood walls.

I did find it challenging to win a science victory - 400+ turns.  I tried to do it as peacefully as I could - but at some point, you need to conquer enough cities to have the science cranking out.

I did not get Rise and Fall, so the whole governors thing was new to me - I still don't think I know how to use them effectively/efficiently.  I mostly was using them to keep city loyalty up in newly conquered cities.

Of the new leaders - I had fun trying to play with the Maori - start in a boat and find a landing spot - but I have not been able to figure out a great game plan for them - I think it has to be a cultural victory, and I am less fond of that.  Ottoman's are overpowered for a Domination victory - boost to siege weapons, and significantly, you don't lose population when you conquer a city - so the city can pick right back up and be productive.

As far as governors go, Magnus is always my first choice.  The promotions are very strong.

The rising oceans are nothing but an annoyance.  Fortunately, there's a mod to nerf them down.

Anyone still playing?

I have been playing on deity a lot lately, which is to say I have been hitting "restart" a lot lately.  I can win on deity, but it takes almost a perfect start.

I did just have an "easy" deity win with Kupe (Maori) - used a Terra map - which places all civs on a single continent, and most/all city states on a different continent.  Since Kupe starts in the water, you find the continent with city states - and get all the bonuses for finding them first, and then you go about building for a culture victory. 

Anyone still playing?

I have been playing on deity a lot lately, which is to say I have been hitting "restart" a lot lately.  I can win on deity, but it takes almost a perfect start.

I did just have an "easy" deity win with Kupe (Maori) - used a Terra map - which places all civs on a single continent, and most/all city states on a different continent.  Since Kupe starts in the water, you find the continent with city states - and get all the bonuses for finding them first, and then you go about building for a culture victory. 
I play all the time. I’m a bit obsessed about having a perfect start and rarely finish. I love the first 100 turns of civ, the next 100-200 can be a slog.

Deity can be a gamble early on but it’s fun.

My copy is still sitting there wrapped (PS4). I am too busy with Witcher 3, but man, I can't wait to play this game. 

I've been playing the base game a lot lately since working from home. Base game is broken (I turn off Science & Religion victories) but still fun and I refuse to shell out more money when I pre-ordered this and they had taken out tons of features that should have been in.

Like some previous posters, I get to about turn 200 and generally find myself starting over with a new map. The early to mid game is a lot of fun, the late game is always a slog. The AI is so land grabby and warlike (a constant Civ game issue, but much more so in this iteration.) I constantly get surprise declarations of war and then the AI is suing for peace 10 turns later after I have plundered most of their countryside or taken a few cities. Or in the mid-late game, one of my friendly neighbors sneaks a settler in between two of my perfectly spaced out cities stealing a few resources. :rant:

I am playing the base game again. I do like the expansions although I do not like managing the governors.

Some friends and I are doing a 2v2 with 2 sets of computer teams also set to king. We will see how that goes verse a straight 2v2.

i haven't played this game in forever.  loved it back in the day.  is there an iMac version?  and how does one get the game these days?  download it?  

Brownsfan said:
I believe steam is the best way to play 
For me, just having Steam take care of all the updates/patches/etc is worth getting all my games on steam and never worrying about any of it. 

That, and the fact that "Humble Bundle" games are almost exclusively activated through Steam. I'm a cheapskate and don't need the bleeding edge games and like the fact I can choose that a portion of the money goes to a charity of my choice. The options of which charities are available to donate to are also very impressive. 

I hadn't played in a few years, but when we went on lockdown I found myself bored.  After getting tired of Football Manager and NBA 2k I decided to fire up some Civ.  I purchased the expansions, since I hadn't played them before and got to it.   

I like the Gathering Storm expansion.  I think the random weather disasters add more realism to the game.  I'm split about Rise and Fall.  I like the global eras, but really hate the governor aspect.  

I agree with everyone who talked about the late game slog.  I usually go to about turn 150 and then start over.  You can tell by turn 150 if you're gonna win(at least 90% of the time IMO).  I really hope that the next Civ game figures out the late game dynamics because it takes forever to finish the game once you get past 1500 AD or so.

Users who are viewing this thread