What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization VI - Oct. 2016 (1 Viewer)

Carpet ripped out. Walls painted. Flooring laid. Desk build starts tomorrow. 

I hate you all.
Don't rush. AI is weak, missionary spam gets in your way all the time, the UI needs work, there seem to be some balance issues, etc.

I mean I had trouble ripping myself away to watch my Gators play Georgia and my Indians play in the World Series, but it isn't that great.

Don't rush. AI is weak, missionary spam gets in your way all the time, the UI needs work, there seem to be some balance issues, etc.

I mean I had trouble ripping myself away to watch my Gators play Georgia and my Indians play in the World Series, but it isn't that great.
This really annoys me. It's almost to the point that if you don't get one of the Great Prophets early on, you can't win because you can't found a religion to spawn apostles to defend against a religious victory.

Last edited by a moderator:
culdeus said:
Yeah I'm almost considering turning religion win off. 

That part of the game is broken.
That's what I did.  Now I don't care whose missionaries and apostles are roaming around.  It is glorious.

Have any of you developed an early game strategy yet?

In Civ 5 I would always bee-line for the Great Library and slingshot to Philosophy to build the National College. I'd also aim for the Pyramids for the free workers and improvement bonus.

I haven't developed anything in Civ 6 yet, except to aim for Writing quick to build campuses ASAP.

Just won on Prince as Pericles in a standard speed Domination Victory on a "pangaea" map.

Montezuma started on an island all his own with an easy 5-6 city empire.  He took over a city-state and then BOTH cities went down to barbarians. :lmao:

I took out the other six fairly easily.  Starting to understand the early game strategy as I took my first capital at around turn 75.

Rated at Andrew Jackson.  Jerks.

Have any of you developed an early game strategy yet?

In Civ 5 I would always bee-line for the Great Library and slingshot to Philosophy to build the National College. I'd also aim for the Pyramids for the free workers and improvement bonus.

I haven't developed anything in Civ 6 yet, except to aim for Writing quick to build campuses ASAP.
For the early game, I've been going Scout - Slinger - Monument/Builder - Monument/Builder.  I don't prioritize Writing early and instead focus on Archery+? for an early war.  I want to be warring for a capital or fantastic CS land quickly.  And I want early land bonuses for the boosts on tiles I want to be working.

Beeline the Civics tree to Political Philosophy to get the government change.  Address cards as my Civ needs but always prioritize the +1 production in every city early.

Campus and Library seems the consensus early game rush. Monument if amenities are one tile out of reach.

:shrug:

When did they make domination capital focused? That is a huge change over 4.

For the early game, I've been going Scout - Slinger - Monument/Builder - Monument/Builder.  I don't prioritize Writing early and instead focus on Archery+? for an early war.  I want to be warring for a capital or fantastic CS land quickly.  And I want early land bonuses for the boosts on tiles I want to be working.

Beeline the Civics tree to Political Philosophy to get the government change.  Address cards as my Civ needs but always prioritize the +1 production in every city early.
Interesting. I always go monument as my first build.

Interesting. I always go monument as my first build.
That was how I started every game in Civ V .. This one has me changing to Slinger first, and then Monument/Builder.The Barbarians are ruthless and so found having a Slinger to start helps. I also find myself building a Settler a lot earlier then I did in Civ V as I feel getting that 2nd city going as early as possible is much more important now.

Loving the fact that I have to "re-learn" my play style for each leader :thumbup:

Based on this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-vi-is-all-about-the-grid.603057/

It seems like early on you need to develop this by building scout to figure out what type of grid pattern is even possible to be developed to maximize the grid loading.  Grid loading max out is also really only possible with some extra culture.  

I'm also seeing that I've been way too big a miser on chopping.  Looks like chop rushing stuff is changed since 4. I sort of remember them nerfing that with one of the expansions, BTS? maybe.  Memory quite hazy here. 

I remember chop rushing settlers was THE THING for a bit, then it changed.  Maybe that's back now.  Also chop rushing into a district seems powerful as there is extra penalty in production for building a district on a site that needs improvement.  

Looks like we will begin with Rome and that follows Game of the Month tradition, as Rome was the first civilization in both Civ4 and Civ5.Working on maps with settings:Difficulty level: KingStandard Size Continents Map (allow for some naval game play as well)Standard Pace7 opponentsWhat VC would you like to go for.A three day poll as I hope to get a game posted for 1 November start.

A difference from Civ4 is that they started naming a specific VC for "prizes" and ranking among the players. You can go for any VC you want but are awarded prizes based on the specific VC of the month.  This keeps people from just doing domination every single month.  Prizes and points are still heavily tilted towards finish time.  

Looks like we will begin with Rome and that follows Game of the Month tradition, as Rome was the first civilization in both Civ4 and Civ5.Working on maps with settings:Difficulty level: KingStandard Size Continents Map (allow for some naval game play as well)Standard Pace7 opponentsWhat VC would you like to go for.A three day poll as I hope to get a game posted for 1 November start.

A difference from Civ4 is that they started naming a specific VC for "prizes" and ranking among the players. You can go for any VC you want but are awarded prizes based on the specific VC of the month.  This keeps people from just doing domination every single month.  Prizes and points are still heavily tilted towards finish time.  
Motion for Religious Victory to be turned off. 

Official? I thought we were doing an FFA version? 
I was going to do one for the FFA if CF didn't look set to launch one for a few more months. This doesn't appear to be the case.  They do a much better job, and get much bigger participation than we would.  

I'm not super pumped about a science victory looking like the choice, this seems hard to do in light of how easy a religious victory is to pull off for the AI.  Should learn something.  

I usually play a warmup on a generic map with the same settings up to about 1AD to get a feel for a early game.  May do that tonight.  

uh, so are we playing a November GOTM?
I mean if you want to, yeah.  CF looks like they are hosting a game with the above spec (Rome on King) with the starting position perhaps posted as soon as today.  I plan on playing whatever it is and trying not to finish dead last.  

Do keep in mind the rules about in-game discussion.  Don't want us to catch the ban from the leaderboard.  Basically, chat about the game only in their threads or after the GOTM is over.  It's ok to talk about the starting position to the point of micro planning out moves, however.

Starting position is up at CF:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/6otm_01_start-jpg.457217/

To me it seems like move warrior NW and see what is there.  If there is a hill tile in the fog to the NW settle between the gypsum/dye.  

If there's nothing up there then need to pull down and right with settler and likely settle on the SE recommended spot.

In any situation that tile between the two luxuries is City 1 or 2 with all the adjacencies for city 3 positioned NE back towards city 3 which will be somewhere on water up and right.  As it's laid out won't have to demo any resources.  

poke holes

Scout->Scout->Settler imo

Forum thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/news-announcement-civ6-6otm-game-01.603441/

I don't think I would settle between the dye and gypsum no matter what is over the hill to the NW.  I would go to the SE recommended site regardless and plan to put another city on top of the hill to the NW by the river.

Scout>Slinger>Settler imo.

I'd rather trade the archery eureka for Writing+Astrology as well as the free envoys. You hit a production C-S early and that is YUGE.  AI is not prioritizing scouting at all (with exception of barbs).  

It's also not a pre-req for anything of consequence so can put off getting the free 25 beakers till later.   

Been playing a rome game with same settings.  The Bath is strong AF.  

I dicked around on eurekas and wasted some early beakers thinking I'd contact some more stuff.  

I did miss somehow that the bath has to be in a city that is actually on the water, not that you can find a tile with water on it.  That's a bummer and I ####ed myself a bit on a good city not reading the damn rules.  So keep that in mind if you didn't know that already. 

Gold in this difficulty/setting just flows in like water.  Will probably be chopping for baths and buying inexpensive units to protect rapid expansion.  

Legions make a great early rush troop, and will certainly rush the nearest CIV with legions, then turtle a bit and spam cities like crazy.  

Starting position is up at CF:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/6otm_01_start-jpg.457217/

To me it seems like move warrior NW and see what is there.  If there is a hill tile in the fog to the NW settle between the gypsum/dye.  

If there's nothing up there then need to pull down and right with settler and likely settle on the SE recommended spot.

In any situation that tile between the two luxuries is City 1 or 2 with all the adjacencies for city 3 positioned NE back towards city 3 which will be somewhere on water up and right.  As it's laid out won't have to demo any resources.  

poke holes

Scout->Scout->Settler imo

Forum thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/news-announcement-civ6-6otm-game-01.603441/
so you download the save and move it over to a folder? 

Got about 40 turns into the GOTM last night:

Founded Rome two tiles NW of the starting spot.

The top complaint I've heard so far is how difficult it is to defend against a religious victory when you don't have a religion of your own, so I'm making that a priority early on. Went straight for Astronomy (and found the Cliffs of Dover while I was still researching it) and took the God-King policy. Got my pantheon on turn 18 and picked Oral Tradition, to benefit from all the bananas/dyes/sugar nearby. Built a Holy Site W-NW of the city, between the mountain and the river. NW-NW would have been better, but it borders two mountains and two banana-jungles that I don't intend to chop anytime soon, so I'm saving that spot for a campus.

As soon as I finished the site, France showed up with two warriors and a slinger and declared war. Could have potentially been a game over, since my only warrior was several turns away and I had spent too much buying the tile for the holy site to afford any units, but luckily two of Catherine's units decided to chase my scout halfway to Egypt instead. Oh, AI. Gave me time to build a slinger and second warrior of my own, and do enough damage to the French units that they ran away.

There's still enough open land around at this point for three or four worthwhile cities, so I didn't want to spend too much effort actually taking Paris. Made peace with France as soon as possible so that my military could focus on taking out barbarians.

Founded my second city E-SE of the starting spot on turn 41. There's a banana in range, and another banana and two wheat just out of range. I'm assuming that with the auto-monument plus the extra culture from my pantheon, I'll grow over them soon enough.

Initial build: Scout, Holy Site, Slinger, Warrior, Settler, Settler

Tech: Astrology, Pottery, Irrigation, Writing, Mining, Masonry

Civics: Code of Laws, Craftsmanship, State Workforce, Foreign Trade, Early Empire

Album: http://imgur.com/a/HDxNr

:hifive:

I am going to fire this up this weekend.

We aren't supposed to discuss things along the way? Can we do our own GOTM where we actually do (maybe just spoiler them)?
Yeah, let's stick to their rules and if you post spoilers put it in their thread or wait here until the submission criteria is past.  

I was seeing somewhere there is a way for us all to play the same map by simply using the same "seed". I need to look into that as well for a more casual game setup here.

Not a fan.

There's little logic to why other civilizations attack you. Playing as Norway in Prince, Brazil becomes my first neighbors. After picking on me for "not being productive" (???), they launch a surprise attack that is a cakewalk to repel and I even take their second non-capital city with relative ease.

A loooong time later, I finally meet Russia, who wasn't far south of me, but I just never bothered to send a scout there. We have a fond first meeting, then he too mocks me for "not being productive" (seriously, WTF is this ####?) and then he launches a surprise attack with a bunch of horsemen. Whoopie, mounted units have always been #### taking cit...oh, they take the city I ganked from Brazil with nothing but horsemen. :mellow:  

Just no logic at all. None. So I'm not cranking out builders every turn, now you're going to attack me because I'm not building up to your liking? #### this ####.

Not a fan.

There's little logic to why other civilizations attack you. Playing as Norway in Prince, Brazil becomes my first neighbors. After picking on me for "not being productive" (???), they launch a surprise attack that is a cakewalk to repeal and I take their second non-capital city.

A loooong time later, I finally meet Russia, who wasn't far south of me, but I just never bothered to send a scout there. We have a fond first meeting, then he too mocks me for "not being productive" (seriously, WTF is this ####?) and then he launches a surprise attack with a bunch of horsemen. Whoopie, mounted units have always been #### taking cit...oh, they take the city I ganked from Brazil with nothing but horsemen. :mellow:  

Just no logic at all. None. So I'm not cranking out builders every turn, now you're going to attack me because I'm not building up to your liking? #### this ####.
Never understood this complaint. Do you really need a better reason to go to war than "gimme your land"?

Ok, Russia I can understand. But ####### Brazil?
You know how every now and then you hear about one of those tribes living deep in the amazon that no one from the modern world has successfully contacted because whenever they see a stranger their first instinct is to start lobbing spears at him? That's ancient era Brazil. That's who you're dealing with.

So someone on CF put a gameplan on something I had noticed a bit back.  

If you run Ikilum (30% builder discount) and get builders right up to 1 turn pop into Feudalism (5 uses per builder).  

You've now effectively given yourself 50% more production for each unit of builder use.  

That builder mechanic itself of 5/use is fairly weak to carry, so make sure you have a cheap civic behind it.  

There are also mechanics if you really want to rush it like leaving just 5 farms complete, and get the 6th to pop the civic when you are ready, things like that.  But those micro management stuff are just a little beyond my attention span.

I don't understand the waiting part. You get the boost no matter when you build the 6th farm, don't you?
Well, it's more a matter of optimization given not all cities have the same production capacity.  Getting the builders to pop at exactly the same time might be a trick and one turn either way can screw you to an extent.  But yeah, I have minimal patience for such micro management.

Starting a game as Rome tonight to prepare for the GOTM.  I don't know the Civ well (obviously since I didn't know the bonuses earlier when we were discussing probable build strategy for the GOTM) so I wanted to get an idea of its strengths and weaknesses and assess the bonus/unit/building that it has for the Civ.  With any luck, I will go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight.

See you at 4 AM.

I'm past the honeymoon period with the game and thinking about taking a break. At least until some things get fixed through either patches or mods.

I'm past the honeymoon period with the game and thinking about taking a break. At least until some things get fixed through either patches or mods.
I'm getting close.  Probably will just lazily finish the GOTM and not really put a bunch of effort into it.

I've played through a few games just sort of clicking next alot to see what the end game mechanics look like and the end game AI is so bad it's stupid.  

I'll have a crossbow sitting in a city with ancient walls and they will just cruise by and wave with their infantry and tanks.

I do think the overall bones of the game are strong, but the AI needs to be tweaked alot or else if you can just make it out of turn 40 and survive barbs it's gonna be a layup.  And I think that goes all the way up to maybe even the upper difficulties.  

I do think the overall bones of the game are strong, but the AI needs to be tweaked alot or else if you can just make it out of turn 40 and survive barbs it's gonna be a layup.  And I think that goes all the way up to maybe even the upper difficulties.  
Basically this. I do feel like this is going to be a great edition when all is said and done

Dang.. was trying to go for a space race win with America on Prince level... . But ended up with a Culture win in 1925... :kicksrock: Wasn't in the mood to "keep playing" so will try again.. 

Users who are viewing this thread