What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization VI - Oct. 2016 (1 Viewer)

GOTM 2 is out.  Immortal game on Island plates.  
My GOTM1 game ran off in the weeds so I've been achievement hunting and nuking people. 

I didn't realize that you had to land on the moon to start the mars stuff so I focused on getting 3 spaceports when I didn't need but 1 for like 60 turns.  

Really embarrasing, should have found far better industrial centers to do the space thing.  But for really being my first full game I'm gonna give it a pass.

Culture huh.  I have zero idea how you even win culture, or what the focus is.  I've heard people have a hard time not winning religion victory when going for culture.  

My GOTM1 game ran off in the weeds so I've been achievement hunting and nuking people. 

I didn't realize that you had to land on the moon to start the mars stuff so I focused on getting 3 spaceports when I didn't need but 1 for like 60 turns.  

Really embarrasing, should have found far better industrial centers to do the space thing.  But for really being my first full game I'm gonna give it a pass.
Yeah it took me awhile to finally figure out the best way to do a science victory, which I've always found as a bit boring. 

To be honest, this is a problem I've always had in Civ games.  I LOVE the first 150 turns.  Total addiction.  Then once I've built my empire, it's a slog to the end.

I think that problem may be fixed in Civ6...but only once the AI gets better.  At this point, once you get a big lead it's over.  They are too dumb to come back.  Building block are there for an amazing game, but it will take a few patches.

Yeah I got way too much science built up and needed more commerce districts.  Had to fight a holy war with holy sites built by France.  That was dangerous and nearly lost the game at turn 190.  

I have zero idea, none, what the focus is for culture.  I like it that they are making me go a little outside the box and see things thru.  I would get caught up in Civ4 GOTM either going for domintion, conquest, or religion/diplomacy  I would never do the long slogs.  

GOTM 2 is  a culture victory.  Those forums have another "GOTM" type scenario, but it's a bit different, it's in the Hall of Fame forum.  It's a gauntlet where they give you the difficulty and civilization to use, and you try and win in as few turns as possible.

I played it with culture, and it provides an intriguing twist. I tried it 3 times, and it's incredibly difficult (requires total luck) to win early, within say 120 turns.  BAsically it requires finding or creating relics, and using those relics to get enough culture to win.  Read up on the ins and outs of a culture victory.  If you haven't tried one, I highly suggest playing one BEFORE you attempt the GOTM.

My goals for this GOTM will be to do everything I can to get around 12 cities. Once I'm at 12 cities, I'll close up shop, build, build, build, and then spam out theater squares.

Basically you want Art museums and archaeological museums.  There's a lot to it, but it's pretty self-explanatory once you've done it.  Just play a practice round before the GOTM.

Going the relic route for an early victory in GOTM is total luck.  You'd have to pop a relic in a hut, then you'd have to spawn an apostle w the martyr ability, then make him die in a war with an opposing missionary or apostle..then he'll spawn a relic.  Unfortunately you might have to create 3-4 apostles until you finally get one w the martyr upgrade.

There is a wonder, Mont St Michael, that makes all apostles martyrs, which can provide a significant amount of tourism.

Culdeus, if you're interested in the ins and outs, go to the hall of fame forum and read all the comments in the Beta Gauntlet 1, then play a practice game.

I'll probably half ### it, just learning the ropes.  It looks like all the mechanics here are late game so I don't really have the time to play forward like that.  They've also loaded the start with river forest which throws my early chops off a bit.  

I'll probably catch a few lets plays on youtube and listen to them like podcasts.  

I'm definitely going to try to rush anyone nearby with the 3xslinger 1xwarrior build.  

Just need to next my way to the end of the original ultra fail GOTM1, first.

GOTM 2 is  a culture victory.  Those forums have another "GOTM" type scenario, but it's a bit different, it's in the Hall of Fame forum.  It's a gauntlet where they give you the difficulty and civilization to use, and you try and win in as few turns as possible.

I played it with culture, and it provides an intriguing twist. I tried it 3 times, and it's incredibly difficult (requires total luck) to win early, within say 120 turns.  BAsically it requires finding or creating relics, and using those relics to get enough culture to win.  Read up on the ins and outs of a culture victory.  If you haven't tried one, I highly suggest playing one BEFORE you attempt the GOTM.

My goals for this GOTM will be to do everything I can to get around 12 cities. Once I'm at 12 cities, I'll close up shop, build, build, build, and then spam out theater squares.

Basically you want Art museums and archaeological museums.  There's a lot to it, but it's pretty self-explanatory once you've done it.  Just play a practice round before the GOTM.

Going the relic route for an early victory in GOTM is total luck.  You'd have to pop a relic in a hut, then you'd have to spawn an apostle w the martyr ability, then make him die in a war with an opposing missionary or apostle..then he'll spawn a relic.  Unfortunately you might have to create 3-4 apostles until you finally get one w the martyr upgrade.

There is a wonder, Mont St Michael, that makes all apostles martyrs, which can provide a significant amount of tourism.

Culdeus, if you're interested in the ins and outs, go to the hall of fame forum and read all the comments in the Beta Gauntlet 1, then play a practice game.
Getting religion early enough to get Reliquaries is huge when going relics route. 3x tourism from every relic. Must get Mont St. Michael as well. Save a marsh for it.

There's a marsh in the start location, so that's a good start.  There's stone so a rush to do stonehenge make sense? 

Is it practical to get enough slingers out to go get another city and still manage to get stonehenge? I guess you could chop the forests for it.  

Stonehenge is close to impossible to get. Your whole game is behind if you try and fail.

Honestly, the whole Reliquaries route is a gamble since it's impossible to predict when the CPU will take it. With the civ being Greece, it's probably much more reliable to leverage the Acropolis for a more standard culture vic.

So I'm mostly goofing off to finish GOTM1 and all of a sudden about 10 modern armor barbs, 4 rocket artillery show up in the center of my empire. What in the actual ####?

So I'm mostly goofing off to finish GOTM1 and all of a sudden about 10 modern armor barbs, 4 rocket artillery show up in the center of my empire. What in the actual ####?
Low amenities. Unhappy city. Revolution!

Or, some AI spy has been recruiting partisans. Probably the first thing though because all I've ever seen AI spies ever do is steal techs and money and sabotage production.

When I've been low on amenities, I've encountered crazy barb spawns around that city.  But its not all the time and I can't figure out what the trigger is.

What if ive been nuking people for fun?

Themo nukes are aaaaaamazing
I haven't played with nukes yet but have an amazing start with Germany at around turn 75.  I'll play towards a Domination or Science victory and nuke someone.  I assume its just as glorious as previous versions.

GOTM2 is....hard
Haven't even thought much about it yet.  Taking forever to launch my mars crap, should just give up.  I'm thinking I come in dead last.  I clearly had zero idea what I was doing.  Culture should be even more difficult for me.  Probably won't even win.

I think I learned from GOTM1 that science victory has really little to do with science, and is nearly all production. Need a city with 100s of units of production early to make sure that the apollo comes on fast.  Selecting the apollo city and probably settling it to ensure max bonuses is required.  I didn't do that and the port-apollo-mars thing was like 100 turns in a city that has like 90 production.  Stupid.  

Haven't looked but I assume people did their apollo city north and west up near that city state location and maybe did triangle adjacney thing up in that area.  

Haven't even thought much about it yet.  Taking forever to launch my mars crap, should just give up.  I'm thinking I come in dead last.  I clearly had zero idea what I was doing.  Culture should be even more difficult for me.  Probably won't even win.
I won't spoil anything for you.  But I will say that if I had it to do over again, I'd do a trial run with the difficulty setting, a culture win AND the land-type.  All 3 are significant changes to how I've approached the games thus far.  

I can't remember what turn I'm at, and I'm not really doing all that bad, but I think I've approached things all wrong, and I'm worried that one of the civs will sneak out a win in some unforeseen way.

I think I learned from GOTM1 that science victory has really little to do with science, and is nearly all production. Need a city with 100s of units of production early to make sure that the apollo comes on fast.  Selecting the apollo city and probably settling it to ensure max bonuses is required.  I didn't do that and the port-apollo-mars thing was like 100 turns in a city that has like 90 production.  Stupid.  

Haven't looked but I assume people did their apollo city north and west up near that city state location and maybe did triangle adjacney thing up in that area.  
Did you set all your trade routes to start from the city you were producing the project at? Did you have Ruhr Valley there?

Did you set all your trade routes to start from the city you were producing the project at? Did you have Ruhr Valley there?
I blew the trade route thing really badly. I did rurh but not even sure that really helped much.  It was a learning experience and I'll be interested to see how the really fast wins did it, mainly where they did the big production runs, and what their science production looked like at around T150.

Yeah I usually do one run up to T150 with the same settings, just to get a feel for where things might stall out, and anticipate where certain decision trees come along.

I won't spoil anything for you.  But I will say that if I had it to do over again, I'd do a trial run with the difficulty setting, a culture win AND the land-type.  All 3 are significant changes to how I've approached the games thus far.  

I can't remember what turn I'm at, and I'm not really doing all that bad, but I think I've approached things all wrong, and I'm worried that one of the civs will sneak out a win in some unforeseen way.

This map type is a pain in the ###.  I keep generating maps with basically no amenities and nowhere to settle.  

This post from CF is interesting:

I often shoot for cultural victory as well because it seems the fastest one for me on deity (large/huge maps) - domination probably is faster, but I dislike it. Usually it is possible on 160-200 turn.

My plan is quite different. There is no much sense in having tourism until you have a few +% modifications, plus you need some defence and ability to switch on plan B if something goes wrong, so I start from building solid infrastructure first, and push culture/tourism in the end.

Step 1 - kill the nearest neighbor with couple warriors, 5-6 archers. Should be done by turn 60, otherwise you need stronger army. I usually take his capital the last, so it often has holy district. If not - well, most probably I don't have religion, no big deal. This step gives you 3 free more or less developed cities (or 2 city and settler) and enough space to settle.

Step 2 - build infrastructure, meaning 8 -12 cities with commercial (first) and industrial (second) districts, harbors where it is possible. Monument and encampment where it is needed. Don't over push culture or science on this step, if your infrastructure is not ready the price of districts can become an issue. Prioritize feudalism and improve all you can. Choose your best city (usually it is either your initial capital or the one you conquered) and build all possible districts there to maximize benefits for trade routes, each town has to have trade route to it, all other trades are internal routes from your best city. Ideally it should be almost done roughly by turn 90-100.
As Victoria pointed out, it is crucial to setup good relationships with all civs. You might need to build encampment/keep some units ready just in case.

Step 3 - Prepare cultural push - add theaters and all buildings everywhere and campus where you can (city grow can be limiting factor on this stage). You want roughly 50/50 art and archeology museums, might depend on map. Beeline Merchant republic, then Urbanism. Radio is your priority in science. Explore (scouts/missioners) as much as possible. Ideally you should be able to setup trade routes with all nations at the end of the stage and have plans where you will place you second wave of towns on step 4. As soon as you build everything you want in the city - start running theater projects. Ideally should be done by turn 120-140.

Step 4 - Final sprint.
Grab Computers. Beeline Eiffel tower and Cristo, build both (that's why you need one very powerful city, aim to have at least 120, better 150+ production).
Run as much theater projects as you can - you are getting both GPP and culture you need to quickly get all policies with +tourism modifications. Buy open borders with all nations, send out trade routes (1 per nation is enough). You might need to send couple routes earlier to build trade posts and be able to reach everyone, or you can drop somewhere size 1 city only to setup trade route.
Send out second wave of settlement. You want a few new cities to build resorts - thanks to Eiffel, most of seaside cells are breathtaking in your cities. Add couple forests if needed. You can settle wherever, you don't need them to grow - just buy builder. If you have enough faith - setup natural parks in new cities as well. 
You should aim to tourism 1500+, I usually have it at turn 150-170, after that survive about 10-15 turns to your victory.

Was from this thread, the rest of the thread isn't quite so easy to digest for me.  A lot of concepts I have zero experience with.  

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-tourism-is-calculated-and-a-culture-victory-made.605199/#post-14568689

This map type is a pain in the ###.  I keep generating maps with basically no amenities and nowhere to settle.  

This post from CF is interesting:

I often shoot for cultural victory as well because it seems the fastest one for me on deity (large/huge maps) - domination probably is faster, but I dislike it. Usually it is possible on 160-200 turn.

My plan is quite different. There is no much sense in having tourism until you have a few +% modifications, plus you need some defence and ability to switch on plan B if something goes wrong, so I start from building solid infrastructure first, and push culture/tourism in the end.

Step 1 - kill the nearest neighbor with couple warriors, 5-6 archers. Should be done by turn 60, otherwise you need stronger army. I usually take his capital the last, so it often has holy district. If not - well, most probably I don't have religion, no big deal. This step gives you 3 free more or less developed cities (or 2 city and settler) and enough space to settle.

Step 2 - build infrastructure, meaning 8 -12 cities with commercial (first) and industrial (second) districts, harbors where it is possible. Monument and encampment where it is needed. Don't over push culture or science on this step, if your infrastructure is not ready the price of districts can become an issue. Prioritize feudalism and improve all you can. Choose your best city (usually it is either your initial capital or the one you conquered) and build all possible districts there to maximize benefits for trade routes, each town has to have trade route to it, all other trades are internal routes from your best city. Ideally it should be almost done roughly by turn 90-100.
As Victoria pointed out, it is crucial to setup good relationships with all civs. You might need to build encampment/keep some units ready just in case.

Step 3 - Prepare cultural push - add theaters and all buildings everywhere and campus where you can (city grow can be limiting factor on this stage). You want roughly 50/50 art and archeology museums, might depend on map. Beeline Merchant republic, then Urbanism. Radio is your priority in science. Explore (scouts/missioners) as much as possible. Ideally you should be able to setup trade routes with all nations at the end of the stage and have plans where you will place you second wave of towns on step 4. As soon as you build everything you want in the city - start running theater projects. Ideally should be done by turn 120-140.

Step 4 - Final sprint.
Grab Computers. Beeline Eiffel tower and Cristo, build both (that's why you need one very powerful city, aim to have at least 120, better 150+ production).
Run as much theater projects as you can - you are getting both GPP and culture you need to quickly get all policies with +tourism modifications. Buy open borders with all nations, send out trade routes (1 per nation is enough). You might need to send couple routes earlier to build trade posts and be able to reach everyone, or you can drop somewhere size 1 city only to setup trade route.
Send out second wave of settlement. You want a few new cities to build resorts - thanks to Eiffel, most of seaside cells are breathtaking in your cities. Add couple forests if needed. You can settle wherever, you don't need them to grow - just buy builder. If you have enough faith - setup natural parks in new cities as well. 
You should aim to tourism 1500+, I usually have it at turn 150-170, after that survive about 10-15 turns to your victory.

Was from this thread, the rest of the thread isn't quite so easy to digest for me.  A lot of concepts I have zero experience with.  

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-tourism-is-calculated-and-a-culture-victory-made.605199/#post-14568689

This is actually true.  I think it was my 2nd practice game, I won a cultural victory AFTER I won the space race.  It was super easy to convert to a cultural victory.  Just have a lot of cities and get ready to mass produce items that help with tourism.

It's the "having a bunch of cities" that's the hard part on an island map.

Yeah. I think the beeline might be something like shipbuilding to be able to embark settlers and the rest of it.  The AI is downright awful at island maps, at least in my limited memory.  From watching a few lets plays they do have a bad habit of sweeping in and pillaging harbors and stuff.

Question is it worth it to build a harbor or just settle a coast?  Ocean tiles are damn near useless so inclination is to stay with harbors and grab all the land tiles. 

Barbs have been insane on this difficulty level.  Probably going to have to go slinger slinger.  Scouts are minimal value as there isn't really much room for them to explore till shipbuilding and even then, no real value.

What if ive been nuking people for fun?

Themo nukes are aaaaaamazing
Just finished a King-level domination win, where I think I Nuked the last 6 cites - just because I could.  I did make the mistake of sending in ground troops to capture the city after the first Nuke - almost killed them with radiation poisoning...

I do like how they give you a chance to re-consider the Nuke option after you select it - I stood down once, expecting the other side to concede something - but I got nothing, so I sent the bomber back up the next turn.

Also the youtube guy I favor FilthyRobot is showing how stupid OP siege carts are.  Siege carts + cavalry can just ruin people.  One siege cart per city you attack and it's rip.  Will come in handy on GOTM2 since lots of the world is water.   I thought you'd need lots of siege carts, but reality is one up against a wall can allow any unit touching that wall to ignore it.

Reddit guys have gone on to point out how this will really go to help helicopters in later ages as well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The image of a siege cart being rolled up to a city only to see an Apache helicopter fly over it is somewhat funny.

[NEW]

• Maps

Added a balanced six player map.
  • Added a balanced four player map.

[*]‘Cavalry and Cannonades’ Scenario Added

• Combat scenario with reduced unit maintenance costs and no strategic resource requirement for units.
  • Larger starting army and additional starting techs.
  • Time limit: 50 turns.
  • Goal: Possess the largest territory.

[*]DX12 Support

[*]Complete Logitech ARX Support

[GAMEPLAY UPDATES]

• Added additional notifications.
  • Added a “time defeat” for running out of time. This is always disabled if a Score Victory is available.
  • Added additional Hotkey support (next unit, next city).
  • Added the ability to rename cities.
  • Added UI to show the next tile a city will grow to.
  • Added a visual cue for Barbarian Scouts that are alerted to your city.
  • Changed Dan Quayle rankings.
[BALANCE CHANGES]

• Added prerequisite project (Manhattan Project) for Operation Ivy.
  • Added Metal Casting as a prerequisite for Economics tech.
  • Adjusted religious pressure when a religion is first founded to give them more resilience and convert the city.
  • Adjusted relationship decay rates.
  • Reduced the effectiveness of cavalry production policies.
  • Reduced Warmonger penalties in most instances, and adjusted how this reacts to returning versus keeping a city. The last city conquered from a player now provides a heavy warmonger penalty, even if you have a Casus Belli against this player, because you are wiping out a civilization.
  • Reduced border incursion warnings if the troops are within their own borders.
  • Increased the number of Great Works of Writing slots in the Amphitheater to 2.
  • Increased Counterspy operation time.
  • Increased the cost of Religious units and applied additional charges.
  • Units may no longer be deleted when they are damaged.
  • Deleting a unit no longer provides gold.
  • Updated Island Plates map to have more hills and mountains.
  • Units may no longer remove features from tiles that are not owned by that player.
  • Fallout now prevents resource harvesting.
  • Barbarian camps must spawn further away from low-difficulty players’ cities.
[AI TUNING]

• Adjusted AI victory condition focus to increase their competitiveness in Science and Tourism.
  • Adjusted AI understanding of declared friendship.
  • Adjusted the AI approach to beginning and ending a war based on potential gain and loss.
  • Increased AI competitiveness in building a more advanced military.
  • Increased AI usage of Inquisitors. Especially Phillip.
  • Increased AI value of upgrading units.
  • Increased AI use of Settler escorts.
  • Tuned AI usage of units that cannot move and shoot, like Catapults.
  • Tuned AI city and unit build planning.
  • Improved the ability of city-states to maintain a strong military.
[BUG FIXES]

• Fixed some production Social Policies, Great People, and Pantheon bonuses that were not applying correctly.
  • Fixed Royal Navy Dockyard not getting the right adjacency bonuses.
  • Fixed some issues with how the Great Wall was built by players and AI, including proper connection to mountains and removing other players’ Great Walls as potential connection points.
  • Fixed a unit cycling error with formations.
  • Fixed a bug where the first military levy that expired would return all levied units (including those levied from other city-states) to that city-state. Now it should only return the levied units that actually originally belonged to the one city-state.
  • Fixed several issues when Airstrips and Aerodromes are occupied, including forced rebasing of enemy units and UI updates.
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed ranged and bombard units to gain experience when attacking a district with 0 hit points.
  • Fixed an issue with wonders when transferring city ownership – conquering a city with a wonder would not track that wonder, and could lead to problems when attempting to use Gustave Eiffel.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settler lens would not always show the right information to the player.
  • Fixed an issue where AI would counter gold changes with the change desired, rather than the total amount of gold desired.
  • Fixed an issue where the Tutorial intro and outro videos would appear off-center in certain resolutions.
  • Fixed some crashes with units.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple leaders of the same civilization would frequently show up in a game.
  • Fixed an issue where Trade Route yields were doubling in some instances.
  • Units in formations now break formation before teleporting between cities.
  • The achievement ‘For Queen and Country’ was unlocking too frequently.
  • AI with neutral relationships should accept delegations barring exceptional circumstances.
  • Can no longer declare a Joint War if it is invalid for either party.
  • Save game files should no longer be case sensitive.
  • Certain wonders were sending extra notifications.
  • Players will no longer receive any warmongering penalties from a joint war partner for actions in that joint war.
  • Liberating a civilization back to life will now bring them back into the game properly.
  • Observation Balloon range bonus was being incorrectly applied when stacked.
  • Text and grammar fixes.
[VISUALS]

• Buildings on snow will now have snow on them.
  • Added an Industrial Barbarian Encampment.
  • Added a ranger tower to National Parks.
  • Fixed some issues with buildings not culling around other world items properly.
  • Fixed an issue with some Districts not showing properly.
  • Miscellaneous polish applied to multiple improvements, districts, and buildings.
[MULTIPLAYER]

• Turn timers are always disabled on the first turn of a new game. This happens regardless of the advanced start or turn timer type selected.
  • Allow multiplayer lobby's private game status to be toggled once the lobby has been created.
  • Cap the max players to 12.
  • Added LAN player name option to options screen.
[UI]

• Added the number of specialists working a tile.
  • Added some additional icons for espionage, promotions, etc.
  • Added additional Civilopedia shortcuts, including right clicking a unit portrait.
  • Added the signature to the diplomacy action view/deal view so that we can differentiate between duplicate players. Also added multiplayer screenname in diplomacy.
  • Added Trade Route yields to the Reports screen.
  • Added City Center to the City Breakdown panel.
  • Added rewards and consequences to mission completed popups.
  • Updated the leader-chooser when beginning a new game.
  • Updated the end game Victory screen.
  • Updated the multiplayer staging room.
  • Updated city banners.
  • Updated Espionage mission chooser flow.
  • Updated to display what cities are getting amenities from each resource.
  • Changed resource icon backings to reflect the type of resource it is.
  • Auto-scroll to the first Great Person that can be claimed.
  • Improved search functionality in the Civilopedia.
  • Removed Barbarian data from player replay graphs.
  • ESC now closes the Tech, Civic, and Eureka popups.
  • When loading a game, the era blurb will be the current era of the saved game, rather than the starting era of the game.
[AUDIO]

• Added some missing mouseover sounds.
  • Fixed the Oracle quote.
  • Fixed an issue where the Advisor voice was not playing in some languages.
  • Fixed compatibility issues with some sound cards, especially those set to high playback rates.
[MISC]

• Added a setup option "No Duplicate Leaders" that is enabled by default. This option prevents multiple players from selecting the same leader.
  • Updated leader screen to support enabling/disabling bloom according to the 'Enable Bloom' graphics option.
  • Plot Tooltip Delay is now available in the Options menu.
  • Auto Cycle Units is now available in the Options menu.
  • Benchmark updates.
  • Credits updated.

Lots of great fixes in there.  I installed the patch last night but didn't jump into it.

I have no plans for tomorrow so it may be one more turn all day long.

Got thru 100 turns on GOTM2 and put my summary up over there.  

I'm still really not sure how this tourism/culture thing works or what order to do stuff once you get a core group of cities.  I know you need 10-12 cities to do it with, but not sure how to tech or build out my home cities.  

I've started messing around with a different game with the same specs to just move thru it all.  There are just so many moving parts to this that I'm bound to #### it up.  And over on reddit they say that the AI fix is more, if the AI sees you going for culture they just DOW on you.

I beat GOTM2 in 305 turns.  It turned into a chore. 

I did it with 9 cities.  I'd have like to have had 12, but I could never figure out how to get more cities without them being worthless ones in the tundra/desert.

I had 6 art museums, 3 archaeological museums.  I think in retrospect, I may have reversed that, because you can theme the archaeological museums easier.

Culdeus, one thing that REALLY helps when you are going for a later game culture victory is seaside resorts.  Basically, the "appeal" of the tile has to be high, it has to be flat, and it has to be on the coast.  

The Eiffel tower is HUGE for that.  It knocks the appeal of every tile up by 2.  I built 20 seaside resorts (spammed builders)  

Pretty fun game, but the period from turn 200-300 got really slow.  Mostly because the AI didnt' do anything to close the gap.

I don't know how the patch affected things.  The patch downloaded right in the middle of my game.  

Last edited by a moderator:
AI is still very easy in this game compared to previous versions.  I've never enjoyed Diety because it usually requires perfection, and the AI just gets ridiculously overpowered.  

I replayed the first 120-130 turns of GOTM2 just to see how the patch affected things, and I still took Washington and am doing just as well as I was in the first one.  

I've beaten immortal before..but I usually don't have such an easy time of things.  I suppose turn 305 isn't easy..but it wasn't hard being WAY out in front of everyone else.

I think the primary problem is that the AI does a terrible job of expanding.  That one switch will make a massive difference.  They get pretty content.  In previous versions of the game, they are aggressively targeting every spot of open land.  In this game with no downside to expansion and an AI that doesn't expand much, you basically land-grab and then build your civ, then you win.  

Yeah, I'm aware of the beach resort thing.  I'm gonna try to get all 10 of them.   I have one city that's going to be a powerhouse and will try to get christo redentor done and eiffel done as well.  I also want to target the wonders that give you more cards.  Cards are a big factor to consider, but I need to get the timing down on all that stuff.

I think the AI gets too freaked out by the prospect of not having amenities in core cities to expand and thus restricting production in the ones they do have.  In Civ4 they would expand like crazy because difficulty levels gave them bonuses to corruption.  I think AI needs bonuses to gold and amenities really.  

You ####ers ever want to do these fast MP simulations?  They have more resemblance to command and conquer than civ, but look fun in a way and don't take 10 hours to complete.

How are you theme-ing the musuems? I tried to figure it out in my last game and completely missed on the idea. Can you move the artifacts around? If so, how?

How are you theme-ing the musuems? I tried to figure it out in my last game and completely missed on the idea. Can you move the artifacts around? If so, how?
From the videos I've watched it seems like it's much easier to theme archaeological stuff.  The art stuff is really hard to theme because there is no promise that you can even get enough stuff to fill a museum even if you had the entire map to your disposal.  My plan is to do one art museum and the rest arch. for the themes knowing that the art will be filled by GP, mostl ikely. 

From the videos I've watched it seems like it's much easier to theme archaeological stuff.  The art stuff is really hard to theme because there is no promise that you can even get enough stuff to fill a museum even if you had the entire map to your disposal.  My plan is to do one art museum and the rest arch. for the themes knowing that the art will be filled by GP, mostl ikely. 
Are there even going to be enough sites you can access to fill that many museums?

Still messing around on a similar map.  Haven't touched the real game since t95.  Haven't had time to really concentrate. 

The Commerce Hub + Gold bank Chariot into upgraded Knight+Siege Tower rush is real.  180g to do a chariot to a knight and time it correctly to switch to whatever tech lets you build a #### ton of chariots and $$$$.  

I'm going to struggle to get AOE factories up and running on GOTM which is a bummer. The map I am working with now is much easier.  Even had Japan DOW on me for no reason so can go flatten them with no penalty.  

culdeus said:
Still messing around on a similar map.  Haven't touched the real game since t95.  Haven't had time to really concentrate. 

The Commerce Hub + Gold bank Chariot into upgraded Knight+Siege Tower rush is real.  180g to do a chariot to a knight and time it correctly to switch to whatever tech lets you build a #### ton of chariots and $$$$.  

I'm going to struggle to get AOE factories up and running on GOTM which is a bummer. The map I am working with now is much easier.  Even had Japan DOW on me for no reason so can go flatten them with no penalty.  
That was a tough map.  Pretty good test for the 2nd GOTM.  My civ had four cities that were able to play off each other with factories, which isn't bad...but it wasn't easy.  The mountains take away tons of usable tiles and get in the way too.

Users who are viewing this thread