What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB DeAndre Washington, Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Fifth-round pick DeAndre Washington mixed in with the Raiders' first-team offense at minicamp.
"We're putting him in different situations to get a feel for his strengths and how we can tailor plays, tailor situations so he can really flash for us," said OC Bill Musgrave. "He's going to be good in first, second, or third down." Immediately after the draft, GM Reggie McKenzie called Washington a "complete back" with the ability to contribute in all phases. The Raiders were not satisfied with Latavius Murray last year, particularly in the second half of the season. A 5-foot-8, 204-pound prospect with 4.49 speed and 124 receptions on his college resume, Washington is a candidate for a significant rookie-year role.

Source: East Bay Times 
Jun 22 - 11:04 PM

The National Football Post's Aaron Wilson compared Texas Tech RB DeAndre Washington to Giovani Bernard.

Washington measures an inch shorter than Bernard at 5-foot-8, but both men tested similarly at their respective NFL Scouting Combines, with close 40-yard dashes (4.53 seconds for Bernard, 4.49 for Washington) and vertical jumps (33 1/2 inches for Bernard, 34 1/2 inches for Washington). An AFC personnel executive said in mid-February that because of size concerns, Washington might have to carve out a role as a kick returner in the NFL. 
Apr 23 - 8:07 PM

Source: Houston Chronicle

An AFC South personnel executive told NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein that Texas Tech RB DeAndre Washington "may have to prove he can [return kicks] to add enough roster value to stick."

Washington does have limited experience returning kicks, but it's been a while. The 5-foot-8, 201-pounder logged seven kickoff returns (plus one punt return) as a freshman in 2011. He hasn't worked as a returner since then, though. Zierlein compared Washington to Brandon Oliver, who went undrafted in 2014 before eventually latching on with the Chargers. Wrote Zierlein, "issues with drops and ball security could hurt his chances to make a roster if he can't prove to be a kick return option at some point during camp." 
Feb 21 - 5:23 PM

Source: NFL.com

Note to self - next year I need to PM Faust a list of guys to hold off on posting about until after my drafts. 

Talent wise, he reminds me of a rich man's Justin Forsett and a poor man's Ray Rice. Gio comp seems about right.

Health permitting, I forsee a 3rd down and COP role behind Murray this year. But Murray is fairly brittle so opportunity for a much bigger role could emerge at some point in the season.

Next offseason, I see the Raiders letting Murray walk and drafting one of the deep 2017 class of RBs in the first three rounds. Samaje Perine would be a nice thunder to Washington's lightning.

5 draftbreakdown game cut ups

College stats  (added target data from Bill C's charting)

2015 SR 13 games    233 rushing attempts 1492 rushing yards 14 TD 57 targets 41 receptions 401 yards (71.9%) 7.0 yards/target 9.8 yards/reception 2TD
2014 JR 12 games    188 rushing attempts 1103 rushing yards 2 TD 45 targets 30 receptions 328 yards (66.7%) 7.3 yards/target 10.9 yards/reception 2TD
2013 SO 12 games    107 rushing attempts 450 rushing yards 4 TD 47 targets 34 receptions 269 yards (72.3%) 5.7 yards/target 7.9 yards/reception 

Last edited by a moderator:
According to ZWK's charting of elusiveness and capped yards after contact, Washington had the 12th best hard to tackle of the 2016 rookie RB. This is slightly below average for 2014-2015 charting data. His lowest rating is in traffic capped YAC which is slightly below average.

He was the 9th most targeted RB in 2015. He was not as efficient as a receiver in terms of yards per target as guys like Dixon and Prosise, but he was slightly better than Booker, Drake or Perkins who are also talked about as good receiving RB options.

I have Washington ranked 23rd overall for standard leagues. I feel a little silly having 3 Rams ranked higher than him in tier 3. I could argue taking Washington as high as 18. In PPR that is likely where he should be and possibly tier 2 player. 

Washington is a player I moved up after having a couple weeks to think about it. I enjoy watching him play. Kind of agree with LawFitz's Justin Forsett comparison.

I got him at 3.05 about a month ago. Murray is still going to be a member of the backfield but I'm happy to have this guy.

Short RBs seem to do well with their low centers of gravity.

Got him with the 3.14 a few months ago (in a devy-weakened draft). Flipped him for Tavon recently (return TD league), kinda wish I held even though I think I won on value there.

Just watching him again.

He has some good head fakes/shoulder lean to throw off would be tacklers. This is not always effective, but he has good footwork for the most part to change gears and make these fakes work in his favor. He also has a good spin move that he transitions well from after execution. 

He does not have perfect balance however as there are times he loses his footing off a sharp cut. He gets knocked off his feet from hard tackles at times as well, showing he doesn't always have a good base.

He is willing and hits the hole quickly on inside runs, he does not have the power to move a pile however and often gets driven back by the defender in the hole.

Goes down from first contact too often. Does not generate the power to break arm tackles or truck defenders.

He is able to get skinny and hit holes with quick burst through the hole if its there. He is able to cut off of top speed and keep navigating to daylight.

I don't see better than average vision from him. He follows plays the way they are designed for the most part. The were a few plays where I saw cut back lanes which were better options for Washington to take, but he does not always see those. Some times he does.

He runs too upright. This is part of his style and he can make defenders miss running like this, he can change direction without losing speed, however he doesn't have good pad level. I think he would be a more effective runner if he could sink his hips a bit more and get lower. I saw his team mate running with better pad level and he is a bigger guy than Washington is.

As a runner I think many of the 2016 RB are better than Washington is between the tackles.

He is a natural hands catcher showing good body control and awareness. He is able to adjust to throws behind him at times by reaching back for the ball without having to break stride. He can track the ball over his shoulder and make catches that way as well.

He does not adjust well to passes that are high and above his shoulders. These are bad throws. However sometimes you have to just catch the ball, then worry about turning downfield. He is a short player, he will have to get better at catching high throws like this. His below average catch percentage for a RB is a combination of bad QB play and off target throws, and Washinton looking to turn downfield causing him to not always come back to the ball when he needs to. Mostly bad throws, but some of this is on him as well.

He runs lazy routes at times, on one particular play the QB wants to throw the ball to him, but he didn't get the depth the QB wanted on the route, so the QB decides to just keep it. This could have been a big play and poor decision on the QBs part to not throw it to Washington, but you can see in the body language the QB wanted Washington to run this route a bit faster than he was.

As a receiver I think he is good, but not quite as good as Booker. Maybe not as good as Perkins either.

He is a willing blocker but he gets overpowered and pushed back a lot. He has an alright initial punch when blocking then releasing. He doesn't have good hands technique as defenders can just rip through his arms at times causing his block attempt to fail.

He is a good actor on fakes, making the defense think he has the ball because of the energy he runs with.

He kind of sucks as a lead blocker for his QB.

He kind of makes me want to go back and watch Perkins again, as I wasn't as impressed with Washington watching him a bit more closely with a critical eye for a second time as I was with Perkins watching him again.

nabbed this guy in both of my dynasties.  

he's got a good chance to be a starter for a few years.  

Short but compact with a low center of gravity.

Not a pile pusher but he has solid foot placement coupled with shake & bake upper body that allows him to make strong cuts while going forward that freezes the defender and puts them on ice.

Knows how to slip into routes with ease and doesn't rush or panic as a receiver.  Smooth.  

Reports from camp are that he needs to learn blitz pickups so he may not get used much early in the season but look for him to 'possibly' break out later in the year if/when Murray gets dinged.

He 'could' have fresh legs late in the year.

Love how he has locked up the 2nd RB role already.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting late round flyer IMHO. 

I like this kid.

DeAndre Washington rushed eight times for 55 yards and caught a six-yard touchdown in the Raiders' third preseason game.
With Washington and Jalen Richard competing for a backup job, the Raiders gave both plenty of work with the first-team Saturday night. Washington seemed to be the front-runner for the job, seeing snaps early in the first possession and capping off the drive with a six-yard touchdown. He also saw extensive work in the red zone at the end of the first half. Washington looked explosive with the ball in his hands Saturday, sprinting through a big hole for a 31-yard gain in the second quarter. He did lose a fumble in the second half, but he was hung out to dry by backup QB Matt McGloin. If Washington wins the backup job, he should push Latavius Murray for work early in the season.

Jerry McDonald ‏@Jerrymcd  14h14 hours ago
Third-and-goal from 6 . . . Carr to DeAndre Washington, touchdown. Raiders tie it with conversion.
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva  14h14 hours ago
Evan Silva Retweeted Jerry McDonald
D-Wash gonna be a factor.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/breaking-news/ci_30299687/raiders-rookies-deandre-washington-jalen-richard-step-up

Raiders rookies DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard step up

..."I thought they both ran hard, ran with vision," Del Rio said. "They make people miss. I think looking into the offseason we were hoping we could develop a running back that could be a really good backup, and it looks like we have a shot at having one of those guys help us -- potentially both. We'll see."

... Washington had his biggest play on a 31-yard burst in a crease created by left guard Kalechi Osemele and center Rodney Hudson.

...Through three games, Murray has 12 carries for 40 yards with a long gain of 11. Aside from his two carries for no gain against Tennessee was two receptions for 19 yards and a dropped pass.

In 2015, Murray went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate selection and finished with 1,066 yards rushing, although he struggled toward the end of the season under a workload that found Carr as the Raiders second leading rusher with 138 yards.

Jerry McDonald ‏@Jerrymcd  13h13 hours ago
Latavius drops dumpoff with Carr under pressure. Been a rough preseason for Murray.

I'm all in on Washington; he looks great.  Reminds me of MJD, and we all know how well he did under Del Rio. Plus, Murray isn't that good.  

He is straight up better than Murray and will be the lead back before long...I've targeted him in every league.

Surprised there hasn't been more buzz...everybody in the world knows about devontae booker, but nobody talks about Washington because he's on the Raiders and not the SuperBowl winner.  Fine with me, it keeps his ADP right where I like it.

He is straight up better than Murray and will be the lead back before long...I've targeted him in every league.

Surprised there hasn't been more buzz...everybody in the world knows about devontae booker, but nobody talks about Washington because he's on the Raiders and not the SuperBowl winner.  Fine with me, it keeps his ADP right where I like it.
Probably because it looks like a RBBC, it's a murky situation with he and Jalen looking good. I'm a fan of Washington especially in college but I have a few others ahead of him. If he falls to the 4th round I will gladly take him.

Tex

Just from last night's game, Richard looked at least as good as Washington. They both looked good, but not great. I already bought in to Washington, so I'm somewhat anxious to see what goes on with him and Richard. Murray didn't get many reps. To me that indicates it's Murray's job to lose. I think the question now is do they carry both Washington and Richard on the active roster or try to sneak one onto the practice squad. I think they both had some kick return chances last night too. But these guys seem like backups to Murray, not challengers, at least for the near term. If Murray sucks it, then maybe they get more regular season reps.

Just from last night's game, Richard looked at least as good as Washington. They both looked good, but not great. I already bought in to Washington, so I'm somewhat anxious to see what goes on with him and Richard. Murray didn't get many reps. To me that indicates it's Murray's job to lose. I think the question now is do they carry both Washington and Richard on the active roster or try to sneak one onto the practice squad. I think they both had some kick return chances last night too. But these guys seem like backups to Murray, not challengers, at least for the near term. If Murray sucks it, then maybe they get more regular season reps.
Agree with this totally.  Not even sure Washington is the best cuff.  I think they would use both these guys if murray goes down or gets demoted somehow 

Oooof. Typical over reaction to pre season. Rookie mistske

I think he compares to Gio Bernard and eventually could be used in the same type of role.  

I think he compares to Gio Bernard and eventually could be used in the same type of role.  
I originally heard of him from ZWK when he compared their combine numbers, which were almost identical. Look similar size and players as well and that's how I drafted him. I highly doubt he is ever a 3-down back for long but he has a place in a RBBC.

Raiders RB DeAndre Washington is listed ahead of UDFA Jalen Richard on the team's Week 1 depth chart.

It's confirmation of what was expected. Richard had a strong preseason, but it's fifth-rounder Washington who will get the first chance to push starter Latavius Murray. Amusingly, both players are listed behind Taiwan Jones, but Jones is a gadget player who rarely contributes on offense.

Source: Jimmy Durkin on Twitter

the thing that "concerns" me as a Washington owner is that it doesn't appear to be a two dog race.  Murray's role is being watered down by Washington and Jalen Richard.  Even if Murray were to go down I don't know that it would be Washington's job as he'd likely have to share with Richard.

the thing that "concerns" me as a Washington owner is that it doesn't appear to be a two dog race.  Murray's role is being watered down by Washington and Jalen Richard.  Even if Murray were to go down I don't know that it would be Washington's job as he'd likely have to share with Richard.
Opportunity is why I dropped one Washington for the other. But this is definitely a situation to monitor. If one of them gets dinged up, things could change fast.

As well, FootballOutsiders has them as the top ranked run blocking OL.  It's only 2 weeks, but if that is accurate then there could be real opportunity for someone here.  Reminds me a little of the 3-way timeshare with the Cards in 2015.

As well, FootballOutsiders has them as the top ranked run blocking OL.  It's only 2 weeks, but if that is accurate then there could be real opportunity for someone here.  Reminds me a little of the 3-way timeshare with the Cards in 2015.
That is my feeling as well.  If you're going to be carrying a backup RB or two at the end of your bench that doesn't really offer a ton of value unless a starter gets hurt, DeAndre looks like one of the guys I'd like to have.  I think he would be the lead in the "tandem attack" if something were to happen to Latavius, and I think there are a lot of points to be scored by Oakland RB(s) if the pool gets knocked from 3 backs to 2.

Perfect combo of talent + opportunity.  I wouldn't be shocked if his role continues to grow even without a LM injury.

I'm totally on board the DeAndre band wagon. The only problem is I had to cut him for the other Washington. I am really hoping after the bye weeks clear for me he is still available and hasn't "arrived." The guy has great potential... 

This is my perspective.  All three are must-holds in deep/dynasty leagues, as even a one game sprain by someone can result in a huge opportunity for the other(s).

Users who are viewing this thread