What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 NBA Thread: Finals are over, please go away (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Boston has a big trade or two lined up, and based on the way they struck out during the last two drafts on that front a trade doesn't seem likely, they don't present anywhere close to the opportunity to win a title that the top 3 teams in the West do. It's interesting to me that BOS even got a meeting. 
Boston has room under the cap to sign two max free agents. 

Is Fournier really getting this kind of money? I just can't believe that. 

I love Gordon starting and he should be the centerpiece IMO but him and Elf starting kills the spacing. Not sure how they can pull it off. 
short answer is yes.  There just aren't enough FAs out there, much less SGs that can shoot.  Duncan et al, have replacement level starters (I believe that was the level) worth 15 million a year with the new CBA and he's better than that.  I guess you can argue he's only worth 18 million or so, but it's not worth losing him over.  

short answer is yes.  There just aren't enough FAs out there, much less SGs that can shoot.  Duncan et al, have replacement level starters (I believe that was the level) worth 15 million a year with the new CBA and he's better than that.  I guess you can argue he's only worth 18 million or so, but it's not worth losing him over.  
Sadly, this is correct.

They also moved their leverage/back up plan in Oladipo.

The amount of money shelled out next week is going to really surprise some people. I hear JR Smith is going to begin by asking for $51/3 from Cleveland. And I don't think Cleveland has any choice but to resign him. They can't sign anyone of significance as an UFA and have zero tradeable assets. 

Boston has room under the cap to sign two max free agents. 
...and those Nets picks...can't stress that enough...those picks are one of the better assets in the NBA right now...the Nets are a disaster...between their young players and those picks they can put together a very good package...right now Ainge seems reluctant to "overpay"  (which is probably what you need to do to get a legit stud) but if it meant getting Durant I think he would do it in a heartbeat...

I wonder if the Wizards would have gotten a meeting if they had just stayed about the same last season.  I liked their roster better than the Celtics last year but I think Boston had a superior coach.  Surprised KD isn't going to even talk to the Wiz.
The Wiz falling apart this year certainly didn't help things. There just isn't much there. Wall is great for sure, but after that, meh. Not a big fan of Beal. He's not bad, but he can't stay healthy and I don't see him as anything special. Morris is alright if he can get his head on straight. And that's about it. Nothing really enticing for Durant to come to. Unless he really wanted to play for Brooks again, which apparently he doesn't. Just the usual disappointment with this team and city, nothing new.

Who else are they going to sign with Durant to even make them the favorites to win the East?
Would probably have to come in a trade...the veteran names you here the most are Butler and Love (as well as the Philly guys)...if rumors are true Chicago was looking for Crowder, Bradley and this year's #3...I wouldn't do that but if Durant said I will come to Boston if you can also get Butler than it would make sense to overpay...

Who else are they going to sign with Durant to even make them the favorites to win the East?
This is going to be a bigger problem for teams like the C's than people are letting on.  It's all well and good to have the cap room, but it's not as valuable as it was 2 years ago or will be in 2-3 years time since there aren't a lot of big name FAs and you can't really structure RFAs contracts to make them onerous on the players old team since they too probably have loads of cap space.  Once the cap room gets eaten in the next two years, that will change, but for the time being "cap space" just means you don't have good 27+ year olds on your roster.  

This is going to be a bigger problem for teams like the C's than people are letting on.  It's all well and good to have the cap room, but it's not as valuable as it was 2 years ago or will be in 2-3 years time since there aren't a lot of big name FAs and you can't really structure RFAs contracts to make them onerous on the players old team since they too probably have loads of cap space.  Once the cap room gets eaten in the next two years, that will change, but for the time being "cap space" just means you don't have good 27+ year olds on your roster.  
I believe you are correct, but I think this lends itself to a hopefully warmer trade market.

I honestly don't know if the Sixers are going to be able to make the salary floor. 

The Magic are probably going to throw some egregious 1 or 2 year contracts to get there.

Lakers should be handing out all sorts of 1 year contract after making a run at Whiteside, Horford, and a couple other top FAs.

There is a good chance that several teams won't make the salary floor.  It doesn't really matter though.  The only "penalty" is the team has to pay extra money to the guys on the roster up to the floor.  In fact, I can see some players happy about their team being below the floor since it would basically be a raise.

The Knicks reportedly have interest in DeRozan. I would love for them to find a way to team up DeRozan, Howard, Rose, and Melo.

Sixers expected to heavily pursue Harrison Barnes.  :mellow:
As much as I hate Barnes, they have a ton of cap room and have a strong need for a small forward. If you are the Sixers, he is the type you want to gamble on because he is only 24 so he can grow with the team, and plenty of people believe that he could blossom with a bigger role. Worst case is they have a serviceable SF that is a bit of a disappointment. 

As much as I hate Barnes, they have a ton of cap room and have a strong need for a small forward. If you are the Sixers, he is the type you want to gamble on because he is only 24 so he can grow with the team, and plenty of people believe that he could blossom with a bigger role. Worst case is they have a serviceable SF that is a bit of a disappointment. 
As long as it's not a terribly long deal, I could live with it. They have to spend but  the idea of a 6 year $100m+ deal for Barnes makes me want to throw up. 

As long as it's not a terribly long deal, I could live with it. They have to spend but  the idea of a 6 year $100m+ deal for Barnes makes me want to throw up. 
Most they can sign him for is 4 years at the max.  He's getting that (or close to that from someone)

No worries then, it'll only be for like 4 years and 96 million.

Question on The Block, did LBJ's left hand touch the rim before he touched the ball with his right?  If so, does that make a difference for goaltending purposes?

Possibly the Sixers' third best combo forward depending on how the rookies pan out (assuming Saric comes over, which he would be dumb to do). 
I don't think Saric ever plays a minute for the 76ers. I think they trade his rights a year from now.

If GS fails in their pursuit of Durant, and assuming Batum stays with CHA, I think Dudley might be the guy. Barnes is just going to get offered too much, and even if it doesn't count against the cap, I think GS can do better. Dudley would give them a lot of flexibility to get some depth, he's a good dude by all accounts, and he should be available if they come aggressive and early.

They will have to do a max contract at 4/94 if they want to get him.  Don't think it's even possible to go to 6 years.

Obviously the Sixers need shooting, and especially need guards.  Barnes would not be my first choice, but they are going to have spend money on someone and I don't know who else they can realistically get.

I guess the top targets for me would be Beal and Fournier.  I assume that the Wiz will match Beal and give him more and he will stay.  Hard to know for sure what the Magic would do in the face of a humongous deal for Founier, though he will surely have other suitors as well.  Kent Bazemore would be the next best option.

The next level would probably be to try to somehow get Tyler Johnson, or Tim Frazier and/or Seth Curry.

After that, maybe give Rondo or Lin a huge 1 or 2 year deal (for Lin mainly).

But the reality is that they are almost certainly going to have to way overpay (whatever that means in today's market) for anyone and I'd rather pay Barnes the max than give someone like Brandon Jennings a really big deal (for him).

Last edited by a moderator:
 they are going to have spend money on someone and I don't know who else they can realistically get.
They really don't though. The penalty is not really a penalty for all they have to do is pay their current players the difference. If my choice is being saddled with a terrible contract for 4 years, or wait out a year and try again, I know which one I would choose.

They really don't though. The penalty is not really a penalty for all they have to do is pay their current players the difference. If my choice is being saddled with a terrible contract for 4 years, or wait out a year and try again, I know which one I would choose.
I know that they just have to pay the difference, but it seems dumb to me to waste the available room by just paying the current players more.  I guess I shouldn't say that they "have to" spend the money, but in my mind it is not an efficient way of using the money.  If they spend 4/94, it will be basically irrelevant for the next 2 years and the only real issue for the life of that contract is whether to pay Noel or not in 2 years. 

I am also assuming that they won't be able to get much in FA next year.  If there are more possibilities, then that would change my thinking.

Things gonna go south real quick in Miami if Wade/Whiteside leave. Doubt Bosh is playing again. Phoenix owns 2 of their upcoming 1sts in that Dragic deal (1-7 protected 2018 or unprotected in 2019) along with an unprotected 2021 1st. Could wind up with quite the haul there.

According to ESPN, contract talks have stalled between Dwyane Wade and the Heat.
The report adds that Wade will consider outside offers, so it doesn't like it's a lock that the three-time champion will return to Miami. The Heat have nine free agents and $40 million to spend, but it's not clear if Wade is willing to take a discount so that Miami can pursue targets such as Kevin Durant and Hassan Whiteside. Things are going to be very interesting on July 1. Jun 28 - 9:23 PM

Source: ESPN

Can the Knicks afford Wade and Howard?

Rose/Wade/Melo/Porzingis/Howard would be absolutely fascinating.
Short answer is yes if they don't take max offers.  I believe the Knicks have 33 million-ish, but don't quote me on that.

While we are smoking the peace pipe, why don't we add LeBron for the league minimum and have Porzingis come off the bench.  

Things gonna go south real quick in Miami if Wade/Whiteside leave. Doubt Bosh is playing again. Phoenix owns 2 of their upcoming 1sts in that Dragic deal (1-7 protected 2018 or unprotected in 2019) along with an unprotected 2021 1st. Could wind up with quite the haul there.

According to ESPN, contract talks have stalled between Dwyane Wade and the Heat.
The report adds that Wade will consider outside offers, so it doesn't like it's a lock that the three-time champion will return to Miami. The Heat have nine free agents and $40 million to spend, but it's not clear if Wade is willing to take a discount so that Miami can pursue targets such as Kevin Durant and Hassan Whiteside. Things are going to be very interesting on July 1. Jun 28 - 9:23 PM

Source: ESPN
Detroit fan 365 can finally come back with his head held high.

(and get his throat slashed for welching on those bets or whatever)

If bosh is done can his contract be traded?  Say bosh and #1 pick to philly in a contract dump.

Bosh retires and philly doesn't have to pay real money just carry the dead contract for 2 years.

If Bosh doesn't play again, Heat gets cap relief Feb 9 2017. Contract will be covered by insurance if medically retires.

Little reason for Heat to "dump him".and don't see any team doc clearing him. If some team doc is crazy enough to clear him only way he'll be dealt. And each and every time he tries to return restarts the 1 year clock for cap relief. Way too risky and a franchise nightmare if something tragic happens on the court. 

Bosh is getting paid either way. Enjoy life and move on to the next chapter.

If bosh is done can his contract be traded?  Say bosh and #1 pick to philly in a contract dump.

Bosh retires and philly doesn't have to pay real money just carry the dead contract for 2 years.
I don't think even the Sixers will take on dead money until after the dust settles from FA. And even then, they may not want to stop up their cap for '17.

#TheProcess, as we know it, may be over. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread