What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 NBA Thread: Finals are over, please go away (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not, but I'm guessing he'd still play about half his minutes at center, with Sabonis and Ilyasova (assuming they can afford to pick up that option in this scenario) coming in at the 4.
I wouldn't worry too much about the regular season, they'll stagger their lineups enough to make sure that Adams and Horford aren't on the court together too often. In the playoffs when guys like Sabonis and Ilyasova (who I assume they can't keep in this situation) will see their roles diminish, I don't know if Horford can play 25 mpg at PF effectively.

Thunder shopping Kanter and Singler to clear space for Horford, per ESPN. 
Those might be tough contracts to move.

Kanter is a really efficient scorer and rebounder but not good defensively and he's still got about 3/54 left on his deal.

Singler has 3/15 left and while that's not much it's 3 years of dead money for a useless player.

Do a lot of these deals usually get announced right at midnight, or no?
There might be some tweets/rumors about a few guys agreeing with their current teams but Durant and others will likely hold things up for a while since they are taking meetings with multiple teams.

The last season that Horford played a significant portion of his time at PF (12-13, he played a little over a quarter of his time at PF), 82games shows him having a 4 point worse PER offensively and a 2.4 point worse opponent counterpart PER (which is a shaky stat, at best). A better stat might be his team's net +/- while he was on the court. At PF they were 0.1 points better with him at PF per 48 and at center they were 3.9 pints better per 48.

Kanter is a really efficient scorer and rebounder but not good defensively and he's still got about 3/54 left on his deal.

Singler has 3/15 left and while that's not much it's 3 years of dead money for a useless player.
Boston was reportedly interested in Okafor, why not a better version of that player in Kanter?  He's obviously making a ton more, but they probably wouldn't need to give up nearly as much as Philly was asking for. 

I doubt there is much to these rumors but here in a few weeks 3 years 54 million is going to sound cheap. 

Boston was reportedly interested in Okafor, why not a better version of that player in Kanter?  He's obviously making a ton more, but they probably wouldn't need to give up nearly as much as Philly was asking for. 
Isn't defense an issue with him?  Also, I don't think they want to tie up money and lose flexibility on a player that is good but not great...they already have a bunch of players at that level...they need to add a stud or two...

Anybody in OKC not named Russ or Durant isn't getting offensive touches. It's just how it's going to be. 

You can't tell me Horford is a better defender than Ibaka. While Ibaka struggled from 3 last season, Horford just discovered the 3 pt line.

Seems like they are trying to sign Horford because he is the big name big.

Anybody in OKC not named Russ or Durant isn't getting offensive touches. It's just how it's going to be. 

You can't tell me Horford is a better defender than Ibaka. While Ibaka struggled from 3 last season, Horford just discovered the 3 pt line.

Seems like they are trying to sign Horford because he is the big name big.
Don't underestimate the value of a big name...that maybe a key factor in retaining Durant and Westbrook...that's how things are working in today's NBA...these guys are not patient when it comes to winning a title...

Kanter won't be hard to move whatsoever. One of the best offensive centers in the game and showed A LOT better on defense this past year. #1 available Center (Drummond Restricted) if he's available.

I don't move him unless Westbrook and Durant saying Horford required to resign.

Yeah, I'm not sure who takes Kanter without wanting something else.

I guess the Lakers would if they whiff on everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian mahimi is going to get 3/45.  Noah probable 2/30.  Bismack maybe 2/35.  Kanter's contract is fine. 

:lol:   You guys really don't have a clue about what's about to spent in FA do you. Edit: This is in response to those that think they'll lack suitors for Kanter (or no one will take him on :lol:  Come the #### on) and not Abe above. Teams will eat Singler if it gets them Kanter.

3/54 being a big deal for a 24 year center with 21 and 13 per 36 the past 2 years  :lmao: . They won't lack suitors for him. He's better than the clowns above that'll be looking at $15+mil/yr. The only available Center that's even debatable is Whiteside (who will be getting a starting annual salary of $22+ mil/yr) and Drummond is back with Detroit.

Ian mahimi is going to get 3/45.  Noah probable 2/30.  Bismack maybe 2/35.  Kanter's contract is fine. 
Pretty sure your guesses are even on the low side. We're about to live in a world where Fournier and Bazemore sign 4 year $80 million deals. 

Pretty sure your guesses are even on the low side. We're about to live in a world where Fournier and Bazemore sign 4 year $80 million deals. 
Put some respeck on Fournier's name.

And Bazemore too if his meeting goes well.

:lol:   You guys really don't have a clue about what's about to spent in FA do you.

3/54 being a big deal :lmao:
I think the concern is more Kanter and his fit than the burden of the deal.  He's the worst defensive player in the league and it's fair to wonder if he'll be nearly as productive offensively when he's not on a roster with two first ballot hall of fame caliber offensive talents. He was great on the offensive end this year but it's hard to forget what happened to the two teams involved in the trade last year.  The one that traded him away turned the corner immediately and the players all but threw a party to celebrate his departure, while the one that traded for him turned into a sieve on defense and missed the playoffs as a result.

That said, he was amazing on offense this season. If they want to dump him I'm sure someone will like the fit and take him on.

Don't underestimate the value of a big name...that maybe a key factor in retaining Durant and Westbrook...that's how things are working in today's NBA...these guys are not patient when it comes to winning a title...
Ok, that's not my point though.

The exact opposite.

Durant shouldn't leave OKC. I would say financially and basketball wise his best move is to sign a 1+1. 

If signing Horford is the reason he stays, then good for him I guess. But it isn't the right use of cap space.

Ok, that's not my point though.

The exact opposite.

Durant shouldn't leave OKC. I would say financially and basketball wise his best move is to sign a 1+1. 

If signing Horford is the reason he stays, then good for him I guess. But it isn't the right use of cap space.
It is a great use of cap space if it keeps Westbrook and Durant...the players call the shots in the NBA...if signing Horford is what it takes to keep Westbrook and Durant you do it even if it's overpaying for him...because if you lose those two nothing else will really matter...

I've been spending the better part of the last month trying to convince myself those deals would be worth pursuing for my team. :unsure:
Like I mentioned earlier, you might as well bite your pillow around midnight tonight and hope it's over quickly.

Some contracts are going to be insane.

Kanter's deal isn't bad.

I would disagree with this a lot. I don't think a center or low post player can be the worst defensive player in today's NBA. :2cents:  
Guess it just depends how you define the terms.  It's kind of like being a terrible left fielder vs being a terrible shortstop- the SS might bring more to the table if you put them side by side, but he's also hurting you a lot more by how much he sucks relative to his peers.

If John Wall was mad that Reggie Jackson received $16m per year from the Pistons, I can't wait for his reaction when Ryan Anderson sits down in the locker next to his with a $22m/year deal. 

:lol:   You guys really don't have a clue about what's about to spent in FA do you. 

3/54 being a big deal for a 24 year center with 21 and 13 per 36 the past 2 years  :lmao: . They won't lack suitors for him. He's better than the clowns above that'll be looking at $15+mil/yr. The only available Center that's even debatable is Whiteside (who will be getting a starting annual salary of $22+ mil/yr) and Drummond is back with Detroit.
Yes, but the team has to have readily available cap space and/or the desire to renounce their FAs without bigger fish to try to fry is small.  The Lakers, Denver, Philly (why though), Brooklyn (Lopez already) and Minny could do it without renouncing.  A bunch of other teams could do it, but would have to renounce.  

Yes, but the team has to have readily available cap space and/or the desire to renounce their FAs without bigger fish to try to fry is small.  The Lakers, Denver, Philly (why though), Brooklyn (Lopez already) and Minny could do it without renouncing.  A bunch of other teams could do it, but would have to renounce.  
A lot of teams would have to renounce players to make any big move in free agency and many of them will be doing it. I'm not sure its any different for Kanter. I wouldn't want him for my team, but I wouldn't want Ezeli, Biyombo, Mahinmi, Whiteside, or Anderson at what they are getting either. Teams will be desperate to spend their money and a proven center at 3/55 isn't a bad deal at all.

just want to take this time to say that Enes Kanter's little brother plays basketball at UW-Green Bay and he is the goofiest, most awkward looking 10 year old in a 19 year old's body that i have ever seen.  looks like he's just overly happy to be doing...... anything.... all the time but does not appear to have a lick of basketball talent

Chris Bosh (blood clots) is hoping to be ready for the start of training camp.
The Heat are planning to use Bosh as part of their free agent pitches starting on Friday as the big man is reportedly working towards being ready for the start training camp for the 2016-17 season. Bosh will be a risky fantasy pick after having his last two seasons cut short by blood clots, but he also has enough upside that he could be worth a flier if he falls enough in drafts.

Source: ESPN

I've always been a fan of Jones. I'll be very interested to see where he lands.

The Rockets have declined to extend a qualifying offer to Terrence Jones.
This will make Jones an unrestricted free agent and give him the chance to establish himself with another team. Jones is still just 24 years old and could be an interesting late-round flier depending on where he lands.

Source: Jonathan Feigen on Twitter

My first response on Kanter was that it is a terrible contract, but thinking about it a little bit more, and seeing how much cap space teams still had left in Nate Duncan's mock offseason podcast (FWIW), makes me think that someone would probably be willing to fit it in.  Though the tricky part will be getting the timing done.  If certain teams are willing to resign themselves to not getting any FA, then he could slot in on several teams and not be much above the average starter's contract.  

Craig_MiamiFL said:
I've always been a fan of Jones. I'll be very interested to see where he lands.

The Rockets have declined to extend a qualifying offer to Terrence Jones.
This will make Jones an unrestricted free agent and give him the chance to establish himself with another team. Jones is still just 24 years old and could be an interesting late-round flier depending on where he lands.

Source: Jonathan Feigen on Twitter
:bye:

He'd look awfully good alongside fellow UK man John Wall. Especially after we shock the world with a Boogie trade to round it out.

Tyler Johnson could fetch up to $10 million per season, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical.
Jun 30 - 1:29 PM

Source: Dan LeBatard on Twitter
Him, Clarkson, and probably Galloway will all be getting similar 4 year 45 million or so contracts (basically 5.5 million the first two and then it jumps to 16-18 in the 3rd and 4th years).  Philly needs guards and the guess is they'll go right down the list until someone doesn't match (Clarkson will definitely get matched, but not sure about the other two).  Houston may be looking at these guys as well.    

If I were one of the younger teams with ####loads of cap space (LA, Denver, Utah, Boston) I would throw a little money at Jones to see if he can rebound from a couple rough years with the Rockets. He was a starting PF for a playoff team at 22 years old. Something like a 3/30 deal with the last year un-guaranteed. Much rather make a run at him than somebody like Solomon Hill or Dwight Powell.

Ben Simmons came to Oregon to visit the Nike Employee store, where all merchandise is half off.  Many of the world's finest athletes and celebrities will come here to load up on gear and generally, the larger the star, the bigger the credit.  For perspective, Neymar was there with this entourage and he had a $17,000 credit to blow.  They blew through it and added another $5,000 to the Swoosh registers, totally $22K worth of gear, shoes and apparel. 

Well, Simmons came in and like all VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE, he was assigned a personal shopper to help him.  When the assistant that worked at Nike told Simmons he had a $700 credit to use, he blew a gasket.  Pitched a major fit in the store, pulled the DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM card, demanded more.  Turns out his agent negotiated this deal on his behalf, so really.... :ptts:

I'm glad he is in Phily.  Crappy people deserve crappy teams.

Ben Simmons came to Oregon to visit the Nike Employee store, where all merchandise is half off.  Many of the world's finest athletes and celebrities will come here to load up on gear and generally, the larger the star, the bigger the credit.  For perspective, Neymar was there with this entourage and he had a $17,000 credit to blow.  They blew through it and added another $5,000 to the Swoosh registers, totally $22K worth of gear, shoes and apparel. 

Well, Simmons came in and like all VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE, he was assigned a personal shopper to help him.  When the assistant that worked at Nike told Simmons he had a $700 credit to use, he blew a gasket.  Pitched a major fit in the store, pulled the DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM card, demanded more.  Turns out his agent negotiated this deal on his behalf, so really.... :ptts:

I'm glad he is in Phily.  Crappy people deserve crappy teams.
That is pretty insulting though. 

Annual "Dwayne Wade open to looking at other teams talk" down here.

Also no way we are maxing Whiteside IMO. But you never know. But I don't max deal "hustle players". And all he is to me is a premier hustle player with no offensive game to speak of. Let another sucker max him out and watch him drop off the face of the NBA earth within 3 seasons....maybe sooner. This guy was begging teams for try outs. The Heat made this work with their system, culture and fantastic mentors in Alonzo Mourning and Juwan Howard. Don't fool yourselves. I don't think he has a champions heart or work ethic once he get's paid. Very immature kid.

Whiteside will be fools gold and a huge bust of a free agent because he will never play at a max contract level no freaking way. I don't trust him one iota. He has a 2 cent head, is highly emotional (and not in a good way). So he is is as good as a goner because I truly believe Riley won't give this guy a max deal. He knows exactly what he has. And yes...no doubt he put up crazy good numbers in rebounds and blocks. But he can't hit the side of a barn on the line and has a very limited offensive game. You don't go through a Whiteside in today's NBA. Also one more thing on Hassan....he is fragile and soft with injuries. Not a guy I would count on long term.

The Heat will make a full court press for KD....do I expect to land him? Oh heck no. But I never thought we were getting Lebron James either. Hopefully we can at least get a quality big man in here in Horford (maybe?). It really sucks about Chris Bosh. I love the guy. The city loves him. But he may be done. You don't want a guy dying on the court. Blood clots are extremely serious and I don't think he should be risking his life. He has accomplished so much. But that is a huge money question mark as well. I think he never plays another minute for the team. 

Wade is in the twilight indeed but he had a heck of a season in 15/16 a heck of a year. He deserves to be paid again. He is a Heat Lifer indeed. We will be in the middle of the pack yet again and hopefully Justice Winslow really works on his jumper and all around offensive game (as I expect he will) because he has 20/10 written all over him as well as being a potential elite wing defender.

#InRileywetrust
Was this all voice-to-text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread