What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Series "The Night Of" (1 Viewer)

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
One episode in and I'm hooked.  Episode 1 is available but I guess the series won't resume for another couple of weeks which is a bit frustrating.

Based on the UK Series "Criminal Justice".

Eight episodes starring John Turturro.

After a night of partying with a female stranger, a man wakes up to find her stabbed to death and is charged with her murder.
This is the kind of Crime Drama that as you watch you find yourself predicting what will happen next, and two episodes later realize you haven't got a clue as flash back scenes provide additional clues and background information. 

One episode in and I'm hooked.  Episode 1 is available but I guess the series won't resume for another couple of weeks which is a bit frustrating.

Based on the UK Series "Criminal Justice".

Eight episodes starring John Turturro.

This is the kind of Crime Drama that as you watch you find yourself predicting what will happen next, and two episodes later realize you haven't got a clue as flash back scenes provide additional clues and background information. 
I watched this with no idea what it was.   It was just featured on HBO NOW.   I am hooked, hate we have to wait weeks for episode two.

This thread should be an all timer then.

Thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. The intro had a bit of a True Detective vibe, but that was as far as that went. I'm thinking Mr. Robot and this will strike the balance for some good unproductive summer TV time.

I'm watching the 5 part UK version first so I can give spoilers disguised as speculation once this thread gets rolling.   The girl in that one is the same chick that's playing Tulip in AMC's Preacher adaptation. 

I'm watching the 5 part UK version first so I can give spoilers disguised as speculation once this thread gets rolling.   The girl in that one is the same chick that's playing Tulip in AMC's Preacher adaptation. 
is that on Netflix?

Gonna watch but don't get the adoration for the pilot.  Was basically a 48 hours murder mystery to me.  A little too slow, predictable and plodding.

that said, if John Turtorro plays a major role, I'll watch, just for that.

Gonna watch but don't get the adoration for the pilot.  Was basically a 48 hours murder mystery to me.  A little too slow, predictable and plodding.

I agree with this.  Slow pilot that I'm not sure I would have had an interest in a second episode until Turtorro hit the screen late in Ep1.

Agreed it was slow, but still kept me interested. I saw a funny review that described the longest, bleakest episode of Law and Order ever. 

How do you know if there has only been 1 episode?

Fantastic first episode. As excited as I've been watching a pilot since season one of True Detective, though obviously a very different show.

Turturro seems to fit like a glove but would have loved to see Gandolfini in this show, as was originally planned.

I finished the UK version and watched ep 1 on HBO.  Looks like there's a lot that will be different, but mostly the same.  I think it will be good, but expectations are seeming a little high.

Yes. Bodie.
In for the series. Mountain of evidence for the state, looks open shut. Only thin that's a shadow of doubt, "Bodie" says he was walking by himself, clearly was not. Turturo is going to have to prove the other guy some how broke in and killed the girl while Naz was passed out without needing to break the door or this is case closed.

Timeline wise, Bodies saw them at 10pm iish, he had 2 shots of tequila and a rail of coke, banged the chick, passed out in the kitchen and came to around 1am ish. Pretty small window for the other guy with Bodie to break in and kill her, and the motive would be a hard sell for Bodies buddy.

In for turturo, but hard to see how this plays another way from Naz doing it. Never did coke before, can you black out doing it? Struggling with that too, he only had 2 shots so it couldn't have been the booze.

Enough Q's to keep me tuned in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple Juice said:
Turturro seems to fit like a glove but would have loved to see Gandolfini in this show, as was originally planned.
Were they up for the same role?   Gandolf seems like he would be better for another character.  

Thought too much of the writing (story arc mostly, and a bit the dialogue) was eyerolling. But theres something there in the pacing, acting, directing that makes it compelling eniugh to watch an ep or two more.

like it alot.  In.

Knife that Nas took from the house was in the exact same spot where they did the hand thing....and it didn't have too much blood on it.  I'm guessing it's not the murder weapon

Thought too much of the writing (story arc mostly, and a bit the dialogue) was eyerolling. But theres something there in the pacing, acting, directing that makes it compelling eniugh to watch an ep or two more.
Totally agree about the eyerolling but I thought it was good enough to keep it going too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched episode 1 last night - very nerve-racking even though I knew he was getting arrested, I kept waiting for him to get away....

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I assume some of the early shots we saw, such as the various surveillance footage will come into play somehow.

Even though there is a lot of evidence pointing at him right now - you would have thought there would be a lot more blood on him and/or his clothes.

And, whats up with the deer head?  Is that the Yellow King?

Users who are viewing this thread