What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Auction Thread (1 Viewer)

Hawkeye21

Footballguy
I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this yet and since it's my favorite thing to discuss I thought I would start one.  I know the majority of us all know the main strategies and they just get rehashed each year but it's still worth discussing, especially for new people interested.

Right now I've been doing a lot of mocks on the Football Guys Dominator app and trying some different strategies.  I was hoping to discuss them and get some feedback.  First I'll give some background of my league since it's very different than most.

It's a 24 team league but there are two separate drafts.  So I am basically doing a 12 team auction draft for 16 roster spots.  The scoring is pretty standard other than being .5 PPR.  QBs get 4 points for TDs and everyone else 6 points.  The main difference is that we only get $100 to draft 10 players.  The last 6 picks are done by snake draft in order to speed up the overall draft.  There are no positional limits for the draft but once the season starts a team must start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1K and 1DST.  I could technically spend my $100 on just RBs and WRs if I wanted to and I've actually been toying with an idea similar to it.

Last year I was hoping to wait until the snake draft to get my QB but others noticed and started picking up a 2nd QB in order to limit my options.  I ended up getting Tannehill for $2.  I ended up spending the most money on Gronk but only because he was going for less than what I had him valued at and didn't want to let someone else get a deal on him.  This really messed up the rest of my draft strategy as I prefer to go WR heavy.

Right now I've been trying to buy two top 5 WRs and then buy a bunch of middle tier guys like Ajayi, Matthews, Abdullah, Woodhead, Bernard and Duke Johnson.  Basically cheaper guys that can get me some good PPR numbers.  I might get a QB for $1 or $2 if I have to but am going to try and wait till the snake.  I'm also waiting on TE, a guy for under $5 hopefully.  I don't think I'm going to draft a K at all in the entire draft but may grab a defense at the end of the snake draft.

It's a bit long winded but would love to hear other people's thoughts.

I like to start with a list of studs where IMO you MUST buy one of these in your auction.

QB - none.  The top 5 QBs IMO (Newton, Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, and Brees) are all overvalued....QB position is way too deep to spend 15-20% of your cap on your QB.  (I am assuming 12 team PPR, start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, and 1 flex at RB/WR/TE, and QBs get 4 pts per TD pass).  You can draft someone like Rivers later for less than 1/2 the cost.

RB - Bell, Gurley, D Johnson

WR super elite tier - Brown, ODB, Julio

WR elite tier - Hopkins, A Green

TE - Gronk

This list is pretty short....only 9 players are on it.  The reason why it's short is that IMO the tiers at the top are pretty shallow.  For example, the 2nd tier of RBs is pretty deep (Peterson,  Freeman, Elliott, Charles, L Miller, Ingram, Martin)  and the 3rd tier is just as deep.  For WRs, the 3rd tier is VERY deep (Dez, A Robinson, Nelson, Hilton, Marshall, Jeffery, DT, Evans, K Allen, Cooper, Watkins, Landry).  And Gronk is of course in his own tier.  There are a lot of solid options, but IMO very few true difference makers at the top.  You need to get at least one of these guys, and in a 12 teamer, there will be teams that won't have one.  Most of these guys will cost 20-30% of your budget (assuming the specs above).  Spend it.  There are lot of options at RB and WR to round out your roster.  IMO it's a mistake to try and buy a balanced team of 2nd-4th tiered players without a true stud.....that's usually a 5th place strategy.

Don't worry about what the actual cost of these 9 studs are (to a point).  What matters is what they cost in relation to the other studs.  If the studs cost more than you think, it will reduce the price of others.  Your goal is get one of the studs at the best price.  Best to do that by bidding right away when they come up.  The last thing you want to do is wait until the last 2 are up......then you end up in a bidding war and will likely have to overpay.

Best fo luck to all with upcoming auctions.

I was thinking of trying to get Brown and Julio which sounds pretty steep.  Looking at other years I have never seen a WR go over $30 so I'm thinking I could get the two of them for $60.  I would not have $40 left to draft 8 more players.  I think I could get Rivers for $1 or even get him for free in the snake.  If not him I could get Stafford or Tyrod or similar.

The point you make about waiting til the end of a positional tier is an excellent one.  Typically you will see these guys go for just as much as the top guys because people are desperate to grab one of the last studs.  I read an article that went over this.  There is a curve when it comes to these stud players.  The best players go for the max then the guys right after are about the best deal and after them the next guys go for too much for the reason I mentioned before.

Last edited by a moderator:
A WR that costs $30 when there are lots of other WRs available  may cost $50 when he's the last WR left and four owners need one.

Spending more than $10 on a QB is beyond foolish.

Dont end up with more than a couple of dollars at drafts end.

Try to avoid bidding wars early. Everyone has money and prices will be inflated.

A WR that costs $30 when there are lots of other WRs available  may cost $50 when he's the last WR left and four owners need one.

Dont end up with more than a couple of dollars at drafts end.

Try to avoid bidding wars early. Everyone has money and prices will be inflated.
To add to this,  most players at the end of a tier value gets inflated.   I.e. the last RB     left on the board from the first tier will go for more then the 1or 2 previous as everyone scrambles to not get left out.   

No other additions to this thread?  Maybe it's too early to be discussing auction drafts.
Never too early! Auction drafts need to catch on some more. I'd be really interested in seeing some data on them. Like % of leagues that are auction by year. Hopefully they are gaining steam. They are drastically better than snake drafts, IMO.

To add to this,  most players at the end of a tier value gets inflated.   I.e. the last RB     left on the board from the first tier will go for more then the 1or 2 previous as everyone scrambles to not get left out.   
This is why it's key to have several game plans. I always have multiple "target" drafts, including the "zero RB1" and "zero WR1" plans (in addition to my "one RB1 + one WR1" plan, for example). These basically entail possible player combos I put together before the draft using average auction values. I try to add them all up to maybe 5% less than the total allotment because I'm willing to pay more for my target players, but I also have backup options in case the player I want gets really bid up and would bust my budget.

It's easiest to look at in a spreadsheet. You should have a column for each target team and each row should have 2-3 players in it. The first row is your perfect team and each row has a backup player you could live with in lieu of your top target.

It's good to have upper limits for each player, but be ready to adjust that if a certain position is inflated. If everyone is overpaying for WRs then you can raise your limits on WRs, because you know you'll get some of that back in other positions.

Re the OP, I don't find the FBG DD auction mock module particularly helpful and I wish the site had more auction content. Any advice on the mock draft function would be appreciated.

Having said that - thanks for starting the thread. One thing I don't do anymore is try to spend my whole budget, I can obviously but I don't feel I need to. And also despite the changing landscape IMO the RB1 decision is still the most important. Life sucks with a crappy stable of RBs. And if there's a mistake I've made its getting obsessed with sleepers, that's the fun part of the game for me but if you see a value take it even if that changes your plan and takes you off your chart. And Value > Sleeper. Going sleeper is getting greedy. So 2015 Allen Robinson was value. Brandon Coleman or Charles Johnson were sleeper.  I think the difference is in fundamentals: opportunity + talent. So I have a value list and a sleeper list. The value list can change during the draft, the sleeper list does not.

At any rate the way I do this is percentage spent by position, or budgets within budgets. I scrimp on QBs and TEs. Palmer and Eifert were sick values last year. 

So say...

- QB - 10%

- RB - 35%

- WR - 40%

- TE - 10%

- K/DST - 5%

I invest heavily in the starting 5 RB/WR and proceed from there. My list is my list, and then it's value and sleepers after that. I don't pick players not on my list... though inevitably someone drops in every league because of group think, no matter the league. This avoids the problem with end of tier inflation, the key is to not let yourself be outbid on the front end of the tier either but the premium is lower and the payback far greater.

Re the OP, I don't find the FBG DD auction mock module particularly helpful and I wish the site had more auction content. Any advice on the mock draft function would be appreciated.

Having said that - thanks for starting the thread. One thing I don't do anymore is try to spend my whole budget, I can obviously but I don't feel I need to. And also despite the changing landscape IMO the RB1 decision is still the most important. Life sucks with a crappy stable of RBs. And if there's a mistake I've made its getting obsessed with sleepers, that's the fun part of the game for me but if you see a value take it even if that changes your plan and takes you off your chart. And Value > Sleeper. Going sleeper is getting greedy. So 2015 Allen Robinson was value. Brandon Coleman or Charles Johnson were sleeper.  I think the difference is in fundamentals: opportunity + talent. So I have a value list and a sleeper list. The value list can change during the draft, the sleeper list does not.

At any rate the way I do this is percentage spent by position, or budgets within budgets. I scrimp on QBs and TEs. Palmer and Eifert were sick values last year. 

So say...

- QB - 10%

- RB - 35%

- WR - 40%

- TE - 10%

- K/DST - 5%

I invest heavily in the starting 5 RB/WR and proceed from there. My list is my list, and then it's value and sleepers after that. I don't pick players not on my list... though inevitably someone drops in every league because of group think, no matter the league. This avoids the problem with end of tier inflation, the key is to not let yourself be outbid on the front end of the tier either but the premium is lower and the payback far greater.

The FFG draft app isn't too bad.  It's the best way to do a quick auction mock that I know of.  If you put in all of your league's settings it can be pretty accurate.  There are a few things that bother me like some teams drafting 3 TEs or 3 QBs.  That does not make for an accurate mock draft.  It still gives me a decent idea of what kind of team I can put together.  When I look at the prices on the app compared to the prices I have figured in my spreadsheet they are pretty comparable.  The cpu seems to be pretty random that some players go well over the projected price and some will go a buck cheaper.

I prefer to do a live auction mock on Yahoo or ESPN but it can take too long sometimes and I have never seen every person stay the entire time.  Those sites have the worst bots for drafting.  They post the max bid instantly and go over the projected price by a lot, very early.  This makes for great prices on players later but it doesn't prepare me very well for my real draft.

The best prep I have is looking back at past drafts in my league to look for trends.  I look back at what types of teams won.  I like to see what positions get drafted the most and for how much.  There's a lot that can be learned from this and I really enjoy doing it.

Would be nice if FBG compiled some average auction values like they compile ADPs.
The problem with that is there are multiple different formats for auction drafts.  Some are $200, some $100 and some are even $300.  Some have different roster sizes which can change it also.  My league is unlike any other league so I will never see any auction values that fit my league, this is why I have my own spreadsheet that is pretty accurate as long as the stat projections are good.

My league is only buying 10 players with $100 so it's different than buying 15 or 16 players with $100 or $200.  The most a player will go for in my league is about $33.

The problem with that is there are multiple different formats for auction drafts.  Some are $200, some $100 and some are even $300.  Some have different roster sizes which can change it also.  My league is unlike any other league so I will never see any auction values that fit my league, this is why I have my own spreadsheet that is pretty accurate as long as the stat projections are good.

My league is only buying 10 players with $100 so it's different than buying 15 or 16 players with $100 or $200.  The most a player will go for in my league is about $33.
The money doesn't matter at all. They could present it purely as a % or they could scale it to the most common amount ($200) and if my league happens to be different then I simply scale it up or down. It's not tricky.

Roster sizes don't matter, either, unless it is something extreme like your league. But if we're talking about ranges from 15-22, it will make very, very little difference because, the AAV for player past round 12 (that's a rough guess) is about $1. So if you have a 15 roster league, $197 is spread over the first 12 rounds. If you have a 20 roster league, $192 is spread over the first 12 rounds. The AAV for the top players will not change very much.

The only things that really matter are number of teams and 0ppr vs 1ppr. Number of starting positions and flexes will cause a small shift, but not significant enough to really screw up AAV. League tendencies will always cause some shifts in values, so AAV just needs to be roughly accurate.

If it is a longstanding league, I've found you can chart the past couple years of values (separated by position) and use a linear regression to get AAV by ADP.

Never too early! Auction drafts need to catch on some more. I'd be really interested in seeing some data on them. Like % of leagues that are auction by year. Hopefully they are gaining steam. They are drastically better than snake drafts, IMO.

This is why it's key to have several game plans. I always have multiple "target" drafts, including the "zero RB1" and "zero WR1" plans (in addition to my "one RB1 + one WR1" plan, for example). These basically entail possible player combos I put together before the draft using average auction values. I try to add them all up to maybe 5% less than the total allotment because I'm willing to pay more for my target players, but I also have backup options in case the player I want gets really bid up and would bust my budget.

It's easiest to look at in a spreadsheet. You should have a column for each target team and each row should have 2-3 players in it. The first row is your perfect team and each row has a backup player you could live with in lieu of your top target.

It's good to have upper limits for each player, but be ready to adjust that if a certain position is inflated. If everyone is overpaying for WRs then you can raise your limits on WRs, because you know you'll get some of that back in other positions.
:goodposting:

I budget for each starting skill position and 1 backup RB.  I pick the combination of tiers for each starting position that will optimize my team.  Each position has at least 2-3 players in it. 

If your strategy hinges on getting a certain player, say Gronkowski, you should nominate him right away before other good players get snatched up.  Personally, I don't like my strategy to hinge on getting one certain player.

Ninja's last statement is key.  If studs (or a particular position) is going for more than you thought, then other positions or players will go for less.  Auctions are always a zero sum game.

I assume you mean with a $100 cap.  If so I agree 100%, you should never spend more than 10% of your cap on your starting QB.  Position is way too deep.  This will eliminate the top 5 QB.....as I said before, they will be overpriced.

:goodposting:

I budget for each starting skill position and 1 backup RB.  I pick the combination of tiers for each starting position that will optimize my team.  Each position has at least 2-3 players in it. 

If your strategy hinges on getting a certain player, say Gronkowski, you should nominate him right away before other good players get snatched up.  Personally, I don't like my strategy to hinge on getting one certain player.

Ninja's last statement is key.  If studs (or a particular position) is going for more than you thought, then other positions or players will go for less.  Auctions are always a zero sum game.
I don't think anyone should go into an auction with only one strategy, but I fully support having several strategies that involve a specific player. Every year, one of my many options is "Gronkowski team". But you are spot on that it is key to nominate the player early so you can either begin following that strategy or abandon it.

I say that I make a bunch of possible target teams, but really in my brain it is an intricate series of "if then" commands. Did I land Gronkowski? If yes, proceed to this draft plan. If no, proceed to these various draft plans. Did I land AJ Green? If yes, proceed to all target teams with one or more WR1. If no, did I land Keenan Allen? If no for both, proceed to all target teams with zero WR1.

i say know your league, i have a league that consistently is hesitant to spend $$ early in the draft but once the elite tiers start to empty at a position the last players in that tier go for crazy inflated prices just because owners freak out and want the last elite player in that tier.

This is something I find myself falling into with auction drafts, I get too scared of the early high bids.  I know it's so stupid but every time I #### out and let my favorite guys go then I'm stuck with a team full of average guys and lots of money at the end.

It's dumb because I know that all the money is going to get used up early so guys nominated later will be bargains.  I need to just find my favorite guys and make sure I get at least one of them regardless of the price.  It may make me feel stupid at first but I know there will be plenty of bargains later.

Part of me really wants to get Brown and Julio this year.  It would cost me about 60% of my money but I think It's doable.

This is something I find myself falling into with auction drafts, I get too scared of the early high bids.  I know it's so stupid but every time I #### out and let my favorite guys go then I'm stuck with a team full of average guys and lots of money at the end.

It's dumb because I know that all the money is going to get used up early so guys nominated later will be bargains.  I need to just find my favorite guys and make sure I get at least one of them regardless of the price.  It may make me feel stupid at first but I know there will be plenty of bargains later.

Part of me really wants to get Brown and Julio this year.  It would cost me about 60% of my money but I think It's doable.
I addressed this point in my first response.  Don't get scared of high early bids.  Studs are going to be pricey, it just depends on how pricey.  You get Brown for $60 and Beckham gets nominated last and goes for $70, that's good for you.  There will be a lot of bargains later in the draft....there always is.

To try and get Brown and Julio, I suggest to take the Ninja approach......have 3 strategies.....1) the "I got both at 60% of my cap" team, 2) the "I could only get 1 of Brown/Julio" strategy, and 3) "They were way to F'n expensive so I passed on both" strategy.  Figure out what is the max that you want to get both guys.  If Brown is nominated first and goes for more than 30% of the cap, then you can throw out strategy #1, unless you want to spend more than 60% of your cap.  Personally, I think ODB is right there with Brown/Julio (actually have ODB #2 ahead of Julio in a 1/2 PPR league), so I would consider trying to land 2 of the super elite 3 WRs instead of just going for Brown and Julio.  Gives you more options land your top option.

BTW, I think it's doable as well.  I have seen guys take the stud RB approach to a title many times....get 2 top 5 RBs and go cheap everywhere else.  If you're good at predicting which sleepers will emerge, you can easily win with Brown/Julio leading your team.

I know I said I'd like to get Brown and Julio but my realistic goal is 2 of the top 5.  I completely agree about the multiple strategies and I do imply that.  If I can't get those WRs for the prices I need then I might as well try to implement it with RBs.

iamkoza said:
i say know your league, i have a league that consistently is hesitant to spend $$ early in the draft but once the elite tiers start to empty at a position the last players in that tier go for crazy inflated prices just because owners freak out and want the last elite player in that tier.
I have learned over the years to never put myself in the position of bidding on the last player in the tier. I will always aggressively bid on the first or second guy that comes up in the tier and get him. Once I roster one, then I can focus on other things and not worry about what the last guy in the tier will go for. 

I have learned over the years to never put myself in the position of bidding on the last player in the tier. I will always aggressively bid on the first or second guy that comes up in the tier and get him. Once I roster one, then I can focus on other things and not worry about what the last guy in the tier will go for. 
I've been that guy and it really sucks.  Two years ago I waited way too long on getting RBs.  It got to the point where I was just going to take Gerhart really cheap but another person had the same plan.  We ended up getting in a small bidding war because he was the last "decent" RB available at the time.  I ended up going a few bucks over what I had him valued at and he was completely worthless.  I just need to get over that mental block and just pay for the players I really want.  The rest of my team will work itself out.

To add to it.....if you do bid aggressively and get a player early in a tier, when your nomination is up, nominate the last guy in that tier.  You want that bidding war to occur as quickly as possible when teams have cash to spend.

So, do any of you have any strategies planned as of now?  Any guys you are targeting?  As I said before I'm focused on spending most of my money on some top 5 WRs if I can.

I don't think anyone should go into an auction with only one strategy, but I fully support having several strategies that involve a specific player. Every year, one of my many options is "Gronkowski team". But you are spot on that it is key to nominate the player early so you can either begin following that strategy or abandon it.

I say that I make a bunch of possible target teams, but really in my brain it is an intricate series of "if then" commands. Did I land Gronkowski? If yes, proceed to this draft plan. If no, proceed to these various draft plans. Did I land AJ Green? If yes, proceed to all target teams with one or more WR1. If no, did I land Keenan Allen? If no for both, proceed to all target teams with zero WR1.
Completely agree.  I call it the choose your own adventure strategy.   Just like those books of old that gave you different route options at junction points which would then shape how the story unfolded.  This is an absolute must in an auction.  You have to have multiple options you are comfortable with so you can adjust along the way and "shape your own story". If not the others in the league are shaping your story for you.  

So, do any of you have any strategies planned as of now?  Any guys you are targeting?  As I said before I'm focused on spending most of my money on some top 5 WRs if I can.
I have been pondering some strategies, but haven't put any into action yet. I'm not a studs and duds guy, so my strategy will be quite different than yours. I pretty much avoid all players going in the first round of redrafts and prefer to try to find similar production out of cheaper players, so I end up having a lot of difficult decisions in week 1, but with the idea that some of these guys emerge. It is reasonably safe in that if you pick your situations well, you not only get one very nice value player, but you also have an injury handcuff for that player as well as a bye week filler for other players of the same position. An example that screwed me last year was Wallace and Charles Johnson. I bought into Bridgewater's run through weeks 11-17 or whatever as a rookie. I didn't draft TB, but I figured one of his two starting WRs would be better than their WR3 price tag. Womp womp. Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns worked out pretty well, though, as did Marshall and Decker but the top option did carry a WR2 price tag in those scenarios. A better example of a cheaper option than A-Rob or Marshall...I was a big fan of Fitzgerald and Floyd last year while everyone jumped on the John Brown bandwagon.

This year I am considering pairing Floyd and Brown in Arizona. Tate and Jones in Detroit. Baldwin and Lockett in Seattle. Looking at some AAVs, these guys typically cost 12.5%-15% while a top 5 WR would cost 20-25%. Going outside of that model of "two WR3s" (although technically in some cases one guy is a very low-end WR2 and the other guy is a high-end WR4) I'm looking at Allen and Benjamin in SD. Hard to trust Allen's injury history, but his production last year was really good in 0ppr and insane in 1ppr. Benjamin could be a WR2-3 in his own right, but even if not, I'd want to have him just in case Allen goes down again.

But of the three pairs I mentioned, I think the total price comes out to a high end WR2 and I think the odds are pretty good that one of the two players lives up to that while the other provides depth.

Similarly, I'm interested in locking up a few backfield. Martin/Sims, Duke/Crowell, and CJA/Booker are three that come to mind.

Completely agree.  I call it the choose your own adventure strategy.   Just like those books of old that gave you different route options at junction points which would then shape how the story unfolded.  This is an absolute must in an auction.  You have to have multiple options you are comfortable with so you and adjust along the way and "shape your own story". If not the others in the league are shaping your story for you.  
Haha, yeah, exactly... that's a much better way of explaining it than the if/then statement explanation.

I have been pondering some strategies, but haven't put any into action yet. I'm not a studs and duds guy, so my strategy will be quite different than yours. I pretty much avoid all players going in the first round of redrafts and prefer to try to find similar production out of cheaper players, so I end up having a lot of difficult decisions in week 1, but with the idea that some of these guys emerge. It is reasonably safe in that if you pick your situations well, you not only get one very nice value player, but you also have an injury handcuff for that player as well as a bye week filler for other players of the same position. An example that screwed me last year was Wallace and Charles Johnson. I bought into Bridgewater's run through weeks 11-17 or whatever as a rookie. I didn't draft TB, but I figured one of his two starting WRs would be better than their WR3 price tag. Womp womp. Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns worked out pretty well, though, as did Marshall and Decker but the top option did carry a WR2 price tag in those scenarios. A better example of a cheaper option than A-Rob or Marshall...I was a big fan of Fitzgerald and Floyd last year while everyone jumped on the John Brown bandwagon.

This year I am considering pairing Floyd and Brown in Arizona. Tate and Jones in Detroit. Baldwin and Lockett in Seattle. Looking at some AAVs, these guys typically cost 12.5%-15% while a top 5 WR would cost 20-25%. Going outside of that model of "two WR3s" (although technically in some cases one guy is a very low-end WR2 and the other guy is a high-end WR4) I'm looking at Allen and Benjamin in SD. Hard to trust Allen's injury history, but his production last year was really good in 0ppr and insane in 1ppr. Benjamin could be a WR2-3 in his own right, but even if not, I'd want to have him just in case Allen goes down again.

But of the three pairs I mentioned, I think the total price comes out to a high end WR2 and I think the odds are pretty good that one of the two players lives up to that while the other provides depth.

Similarly, I'm interested in locking up a few backfield. Martin/Sims, Duke/Crowell, and CJA/Booker are three that come to mind.
I've used this strategy in the past and I feel like it didn't work that well for me or maybe I just didn't enjoy it as much.  I found myself having a lot of similar players and being forced to decide which guys to start each week.  More often than not I chose the wrong guy.  This year I'd rather have guys that need to be started while having some high upside players that I can use on bye weeks/injury or if they become really good I can trade them.

The reason I went with all mid tier guys is because I got burnt on spending a lot on Charles in a year he missed the season.  I didn't want to invest in one player like that again until I kept seeing the champions of the league winning with stud players.  Of course they also had a sleeper hit for them like Freeman and Cousins last year but they still had those core guys.

I've used this strategy in the past and I feel like it didn't work that well for me or maybe I just didn't enjoy it as much.  I found myself having a lot of similar players and being forced to decide which guys to start each week.  More often than not I chose the wrong guy.  This year I'd rather have guys that need to be started while having some high upside players that I can use on bye weeks/injury or if they become really good I can trade them.

The reason I went with all mid tier guys is because I got burnt on spending a lot on Charles in a year he missed the season.  I didn't want to invest in one player like that again until I kept seeing the champions of the league winning with stud players.  Of course they also had a sleeper hit for them like Freeman and Cousins last year but they still had those core guys.
Yeah, it can definitely be problematic if the two players remain neck-and-neck, but that's pretty rare. Most of the time either (1) the passing attack as a whole fails and they're both busts - like Charles/Wallace or (2) one of them emerges.

I'm trying to think of guys from last year that would've been hard to pick from. Maybe Crabtree and Cooper? In most cases, the distinction between the WR1 and WR2 on the team was pretty clear. Thomas and Sanders might qualify but that would've been a very expensive duo and both were pretty good weekly selections.

To me the advantage of auctions is the ability to draft more WR1's and RB1's than you could in a snake at the expense of WR/RB3's.  In a 12 man league everyone will be starting a Qb1 and a TE1.  The advantage you gain over you opponents is the ability to start more RB and WR 1's than they do.  

I approach drafts that I want at least 1 premium guy.  I don't care if its a WR or RB, I'll go where the best value is during the draft.  For instance, last year RB's went supper expensive in my main league ($65 of $200 for the top 4) so I went A. Brown for $54.  This year my guess is the top 3 WR's will go for around $65 and I will get a stud RB for $55ish.  

Next goal is to get 2 guys that are low end Rb/Wr1's that have some up side.  These guys are often in the $30-40ish range in a $200 auction.  Last year I took Hopkins and Gore types, but Lamar Miller, Mark Ingram, Cooks or Evans all would have fit the bill.  This year I like Forte, Martin, Anderson, Allen, Cooper, Evans, Marshall.

I then want 2 guys that should be solid 2's but aren't sexy and are under valued that I can get for 8-18 ish.  Last year this was foster, Gurley, Martin, Stewart, Allen, Cooper, Marshall, Fitz.  This year mine are R. Mathews, Gore, Ajayi, Fitz, J. Brown, M Jones, Hurns, J. Mathews.

So the above costs about 155ish (55+35+35+15+15) and in theory gives you 3 RB/Wr1's and 2 RB/WR2's.  With the remaining 45, 2 will go for K and D.  Maybe $8-10 on QB and TE and still leaves you a solid $30 to overpay on your stud and second tier guys.  I like to to have a list of 5 rbs' and 5 WR's that I want late for $5 and less.  This year I like Bernard, Forsett, Crowell, Blount, Abdullah, D. Johnson, T.J. Yeldon, T. Smith, Treadwell, Shepard, Austin, Aiken

Then you should have a good list of guys for $1 (4-5).  These are guys you will only spend 1$ and no more.  C. Johnson, Sims, Henry, Deandre Washington, Prosise, V. Jackson, S. Coats etc.

I only play non-ppr so the names may not line up well with your league but its the theory that counts.  Everyone's tiers will be a little different.  

One last item, just like in redraft there are pockets of the draft that have better value in certain positions.  I think that the players in the 40-50 range tend to be overvalued generally.  This year it seems like Freeman, Charles, Hopkins, Nelson, Dez, Robinson, Jeffery are in that list.  Much of that is that I think WR is overvalued in general this year as every one and their brother wants to go WR heavy.  Unless it changes substantially over the next couple months, I am betting I end up with 3 stud Rbs and a bunch of fliers at WR.

I did a live ESPN auction Tuesday night and really wanted to try my strategy of getting two of the best WRs right away.  I wanted AB and Julio but some Steelers homer wanted him really bad.  I thought I could get him for $66 but he went up to $71.  No thank you.  I ended up grabbing OBJ right after AB for only $55 though.  Then I got Julio for $66.

This seemed crazy but once everyone's money started to dwindle I was able to fill in my team with some solid players.  I really liked my team.

I did a live ESPN auction Tuesday night and really wanted to try my strategy of getting two of the best WRs right away.  I wanted AB and Julio but some Steelers homer wanted him really bad.  I thought I could get him for $66 but he went up to $71.  No thank you.  I ended up grabbing OBJ right after AB for only $55 though.  Then I got Julio for $66.

This seemed crazy but once everyone's money started to dwindle I was able to fill in my team with some solid players.  I really liked my team.
@Hawkeye21 Can you post your auction summary?  My main league does its auction through espn and I'm curious how the pricing ended up in comparison to their estimated values.  

I like the strategy of locking down a position with the top talent, and I feel ESPN is way low on the RB's at the end of the draft (Forsett, Gore, Foster etc.)  Just wondering how it worked in practice cause in mock drafts I get some pretty solid looking teams.

Here's the recap.  Sorry it takes up so much.  How you you tag it as hidden or spoiler?

Team Scherrman

QB

Andrew Luck

$14

RB

Ezekiel Elliott

$64

RB

Le'Veon Bell

$54

WR

Amari Cooper

$33

WR

Corey Coleman

$1

TE

Travis Kelce

$2

FLEX

Dion Lewis

$23

D/ST

Patriots D/ST

$1

K

Roberto Aguayo

$1

BE

Willie Snead

$1

BE

DeAngelo Williams

$1

BE

Tavon Austin

$1

BE

Jordan Howard

$1

BE

Austin Seferian-Jenkins

$1

BE

Matthew Stafford

$1

BE

Paul Perkins

$1

Total: 200, Remaining: 0

Team 2

QB

Tom Brady

$10

RB

Devonta Freeman

$58

RB

Lamar Miller

$50

WR

Mike Evans

$42

WR

DeSean Jackson

$4

TE

Gary Barnidge

$1

FLEX

Matt Forte

$25

D/ST

Vikings D/ST

$1

K

Blair Walsh

$1

BE

Tyrod Taylor

$2

BE

Dorial Green-Beckham

$1

BE

Karlos Williams

$1

BE

Travis Benjamin

$1

BE

Breshad Perriman

$1

BE

Marcus Mariota

$1

BE

Pierre Garcon

$1

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/c...50:20150824:FFLDraftRecap:FreeShippingJerseys

Team 3

QB

Cam Newton

$36

RB

Doug Martin

$52

RB

Carlos Hyde

$27

WR

Julio Jones

$68

WR

Larry Fitzgerald

$6

TE

Julius Thomas

$1

FLEX

Derrick Henry

$1

D/ST

Raiders D/ST

$1

K

Josh Brown

$1

BE

Charles Sims

$1

BE

Michael Thomas

$1

BE

Jimmy Graham

$1

BE

Jerick McKinnon

$1

BE

Tyler Ervin

$1

BE

Shane Vereen

$1

BE

Spencer Ware

$1

Team 4

QB

Kirk Cousins

$1

RB

Jonathan Stewart

$32

RB

Ameer Abdullah

$1

WR

DeAndre Hopkins

$63

WR

Brandon Marshall

$48

TE

Martellus Bennett

$1

FLEX

Keenan Allen

$30

D/ST

Jets D/ST

$1

K

Graham Gano

$1

BE

Jeremy Maclin

$16

BE

Markus Wheaton

$1

BE

Isaiah Crowell

$1

BE

Mohamed Sanu

$1

BE

Anquan Boldin

$1

BE

Keith Marshall

$1

BE

Leonte Carroo

$1

Team 5

QB

Russell Wilson

$17

RB

Eddie Lacy

$43

RB

Jamaal Charles

$35

WR

Julian Edelman

$23

WR

Golden Tate

$8

TE

Delanie Walker

$6

FLEX

Jeremy Hill

$20

D/ST

Chiefs D/ST

$1

K

Justin Tucker

$1

BE

Blake Bortles

$8

BE

Philip Rivers

$7

BE

Jeremy Langford

$8

BE

Eli Manning

$12

BE

Michael Floyd

$8

BE

Stefon Diggs

$2

BE

Torrey Smith

$1

Team 6

QB

Tony Romo

$1

RB

Mark Ingram

$49

RB

DeMarco Murray

$8

WR

Doug Baldwin

$16

WR

Jarvis Landry

$16

TE

Tyler Eifert

$5

FLEX

Randall Cobb

$15

D/ST

Bengals D/ST

$2

K

Dan Bailey

$1

BE

Jordan Matthews

$5

BE

T.J. Yeldon

$4

BE

Kenneth Dixon

$3

BE

Allen Hurns

$6

BE

Zach Ertz

$2

BE

Duke Johnson Jr.

$4

BE

Melvin Gordon

$3

Total: 140, Remaining: 60

Team 7

QB

Derek Carr

$1

RB

Todd Gurley

$68

RB

Matt Jones

$6

WR

Alshon Jeffery

$43

WR

Sammy Watkins

$41

TE

Antonio Gates

$1

FLEX

Demaryius Thomas

$31

D/ST

Broncos D/ST

$1

K

Chandler Catanzaro

$1

BE

Sterling Shepard

$1

BE

Will Fuller

$1

BE

C.J. Prosise

$1

BE

Josh Gordon

$1

BE

DeAndre Washington

$1

BE

Devin Funchess

$1

BE

Ted Ginn Jr.

$1

Team 8

QB

Aaron Rodgers

$22

RB

C.J. Anderson

$24

RB

Latavius Murray

$16

WR

A.J. Green

$54

WR

Kelvin Benjamin

$21

TE

Greg Olsen

$19

FLEX

Emmanuel Sanders

$8

D/ST

Seahawks D/ST

$1

K

Stephen Gostkowski

$2

BE

Justin Forsett

$4

BE

Danny Woodhead

$3

BE

Frank Gore

$3

BE

Tyler Lockett

$4

BE

Coby Fleener

$2

BE

Kevin White

$2

BE

Giovani Bernard

$2

Total: 187, Remaining: 13

Team 9

QB

Andy Dalton

$1

RB

Ryan Mathews

$13

RB

LeGarrette Blount

$1

WR

Antonio Brown

$67

WR

Allen Robinson

$55

TE

Rob Gronkowski

$53

FLEX

Arian Foster

$1

D/ST

Texans D/ST

$1

K

Matt Prater

$1

BE

Steve Smith Sr.

$1

BE

Charcandrick West

$1

BE

Mike Wallace

$1

BE

Terrance Williams

$1

BE

Sammie Coates

$1

BE

Rishard Matthews

$1

BE

Chris Hogan

$1

Team 10

QB

Carson Palmer

$14

RB

LeSean McCoy

$34

RB

Chris Ivory

$1

WR

Odell Beckham Jr.

$69

WR

Eric Decker

$12

TE

Jordan Reed

$37

FLEX

Donte Moncrief

$8

D/ST

Packers D/ST

$1

K

Mason Crosby

$1

BE

Drew Brees

$15

BE

Michael Crabtree

$3

BE

Laquon Treadwell

$1

BE

Tevin Coleman

$1

BE

Phillip Dorsett

$1

BE

Nelson Agholor

$1

BE

Tyler Boyd

$1

Team 11

QB

Ben Roethlisberger

$14

RB

Rashad Jennings

$2

RB

Jay Ajayi

$1

WR

Dez Bryant

$60

WR

Jordy Nelson

$51

TE

Zach Miller

$1

FLEX

Brandin Cooks

$39

D/ST

Cardinals D/ST

$1

K

Adam Vinatieri

$1

BE

T.Y. Hilton

$24

BE

Theo Riddick

$1

BE

Josh Doctson

$1

BE

Kenyan Drake

$1

BE

Darren Sproles

$1

BE

Kendall Wright

$1

BE

Wendell Smallwood

$1

Team 12

QB

Ryan Tannehill

$1

RB

Adrian Peterson

$69

RB

David Johnson

$59

WR

DeVante Parker

$8

WR

John Brown

$5

TE

Ladarius Green

$1

FLEX

Thomas Rawls

$46

D/ST

Panthers D/ST

$1

K

Steven Hauschka

$1

BE

Marvin Jones

$3

BE

Vincent Jackson

$1

BE

Bilal Powell

$1

BE

Devontae Booker

$1

BE

James Starks

$1

BE

Eric Ebron

$1

BE

Victor Cruz

$1

No Idea how to tag as a spoiler.  Was this an actual draft of a mock on Espn?  Looks like the values followed their estimates pretty close.

Thanks,

No Idea how to tag as a spoiler.  Was this an actual draft of a mock on Espn?  Looks like the values followed their estimates pretty close.

Thanks,
It was a real public draft.  I did this so I would get a more accurate draft compared to a mock.  What sucked is that there were two that were on auto the whole time and two others that left early and went to auto.

You can tell which teams were on auto, the one with 3 QBs and the one with 4 QBs.  So stupid.

Wait a second.  I just looked it over and this wasn't my live draft.  This must have been a mock that I did that I tried to get out of.  It was all auto draft.  Give me a bit to find the right one.

This is the real draft I was originally talking about.  As you can see I got Julio and OBJ.

TEAM N

Dez Bryant, Dal WR

$41

Cam Newton, Car QB

$23

Russell Wilson, Sea QB

$7

Drew Brees, NO QB

$8

Randall Cobb, GB WR

$12

Ben Roethlisberger, Pit QB

$8

Eric Decker, NYJ WR

$7

Ryan Mathews*, Phi RB

$11

T.J. Yeldon, Jax RB

$3

Golden Tate, Det WR

$7

Tyler Eifert*, Cin TE

$4

Jeremy Langford, Chi RB

$8

Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR

$5

Donte Moncrief, Ind WR

$5

Bengals D/ST D/ST

$1

Steven Hauschka, Sea K

$1

TEAM 2

Antonio Brown, Pit WR

$72

Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB

$51

Josh Gordon*, Cle WR

$12

Aaron Rodgers, GB QB

$19

Jarvis Landry, Mia WR

$17

Justin Forsett, Bal RB

$6

Delanie Walker, Ten TE

$6

DeMarco Murray, Ten RB

$4

Giovani Bernard, Cin RB

$3

Torrey Smith, SF WR

$2

Tevin Coleman, Atl RB

$2

Theo Riddick, Det RB

$2

Markus Wheaton, Pit WR

$1

Derek Carr, Oak QB

$1

Packers D/ST D/ST

$1

Chris Boswell, Pit K

$1

DETROIT LIONS SB CHAMPS '17

Ezekiel Elliott, Dal RB

$53

Marvin Jones, Det WR

$4

Jordan Reed, Wsh TE

$28

Carlos Hyde, SF RB

$23

C.J. Anderson, Den RB

$19

Chris Ivory, Jax RB

$2

Doug Baldwin, Sea WR

$16

T.Y. Hilton, Ind WR

$22

Andrew Luck, Ind QB

$10

Chris Johnson, Ari RB

$4

Melvin Gordon, SD RB

$3

Carson Palmer, Ari QB

$7

Coby Fleener, NO TE

$6

LeGarrette Blount, NE RB

$1

Texans D/ST D/ST

$1

Dan Bailey, Dal K

$1

TEAM NOLE

Todd Gurley, LA RB

$49

Jonathan Stewart, Car RB

$26

Sammy Watkins*, Buf WR

$31

A.J. Green, Cin WR

$41

Doug Martin, TB RB

$37

DeSean Jackson, Wsh WR

$5

Stefon Diggs, Min WR

$2

Michael Crabtree, Oak WR

$1

Zach Ertz, Phi TE

$1

Vincent Jackson, TB WR

$1

Tony Romo, Dal QB

$1

Tavon Austin, LA WR

$1

Breshad Perriman*, Bal WR

$1

Kenneth Dixon, Bal RB

$1

Jets D/ST D/ST

$1

Josh Brown, NYG K

$1

WILLY WIPER TAILS

Latavius Murray, Oak RB

$26

Devonta Freeman, Atl RB

$49

Rob Gronkowski, NE TE

$48

Matt Forte, NYJ RB

$19

Demaryius Thomas, Den WR

$25

Julian Edelman*, NE WR

$17

Tom Brady, NE QB

$5

Eli Manning, NYG QB

$2

Jay Ajayi, Mia RB

$2

Tyler Lockett, Sea WR

$1

Dorial Green-Beckham, Ten WR

$1

Jordan Howard, Chi RB

$1

Bilal Powell, NYJ RB

$1

Will Fuller, Hou WR

$1

Chiefs D/ST D/ST

$1

Mason Crosby, GB K

$1

TEAM SCHERRMAN

Odell Beckham Jr., NYG WR  

$55

Julio Jones, Atl WR  

$66

LeSean McCoy, Buf RB  

$27

DeVante Parker, Mia WR  

$10

Jeremy Maclin, KC WR  

$10

Seahawks D/ST D/ST  

$1

Philip Rivers, SD QB  

$4

Michael Floyd, Ari WR  

$5

Travis Kelce, KC TE  

$2

Duke Johnson Jr., Cle RB  

$4

Danny Woodhead, SD RB  

$7

Frank Gore, Ind RB  

$2

Kevin White, Chi WR  

$3

Adam Vinatieri, Ind K  

$1

Ameer Abdullah, Det RB  

$2

Charles Sims, TB RB  

$1

TEAM LARSEN

Lamar Miller, Hou RB

$46

Jamaal Charles*, KC RB

$33

Brandon Marshall, NYJ WR

$37

Brandin Cooks, NO WR

$25

Keenan Allen, SD WR

$20

Greg Olsen, Car TE

$18

Stephen Gostkowski, NE K

$2

Matt Jones, Wsh RB

$4

Rashad Jennings, NYG RB

$3

Jordan Matthews, Phi WR

$4

Gary Barnidge, Cle TE

$1

Kirk Cousins, Wsh QB

$2

Cardinals D/ST D/ST

$2

Broncos D/ST D/ST

$1

Matthew Stafford, Det QB

$1

Spencer Ware, KC RB

$1

DEEP THROWIT

Sterling Shepard, NYG WR

$5

Alshon Jeffery, Chi WR

$35

Mark Ingram, NO RB

$38

Arian Foster, Mia RB

$20

Eddie Lacy, GB RB

$35

Mike Evans, TB WR

$33

Kelvin Benjamin, Car WR

$19

Blake Bortles, Jax QB

$4

Jaguars D/ST D/ST

$1

Allen Hurns, Jax WR

$3

Julius Thomas, Jax TE

$1

Corey Coleman, Cle WR

$2

Willie Snead, NO WR

$1

Devontae Booker, Den RB

$1

Jason Witten, Dal TE

$1

Justin Tucker, Bal K

$1

CHICAGO BEARS

Jeremy Hill, Cin RB

$17

Allen Robinson, Jax WR

$48

DeAngelo Williams, Pit RB

$17

Thomas Rawls*, Sea RB

$36

Jordy Nelson*, GB WR

$39

Michael Thomas, NO WR

$10

Amari Cooper, Oak WR

$22

Antonio Gates, SD TE

$2

Raiders D/ST D/ST

$1

Panthers D/ST D/ST

$2

Jameis Winston, TB QB

$1

Derrick Henry, Ten RB

$1

Charcandrick West, KC RB

$1

DeAndre Washington, Oak RB

$1

Ryan Fitzpatrick, NYJ QB

$1

Graham Gano, Car K

$1

TEAM SPICYWEINER

Adrian Peterson, Min RB

$56

David Johnson, Ari RB

$54

DeAndre Hopkins, Hou WR

$56

Emmanuel Sanders, Den WR

$7

Dion Lewis*, NE RB

$13

John Brown, Ari WR

$4

Ladarius Green*, Pit TE

$1

Laquon Treadwell, Min WR

$1

Tyrod Taylor, Buf QB

$1

Travis Benjamin, SD WR

$1

Steve Smith Sr.*, Bal WR

$1

Isaiah Crowell, Cle RB

$1

Zach Miller, Chi TE

$1

Martellus Bennett, NE TE

$1

Blair Walsh, Min K

$1

Patriots D/ST D/ST

$1

Thanks Hawkeye.  Its interesting to see how close people bid to what the estimated values are.  There seems to be some amazing value late at RB if you want to spend big on two of the top three WR's.  Forte and Anderson for less than $20 is value and Gore, Forsett, Jennings, Bernard and woodhead all going for less than $7.

People spent so much money early in the draft there were just tons of deals half way through.  I really feel like my team is loaded.  I got great WRs and enough RBs that they should get the job done.  One of them will be a RB1.

I have a very bold strategy for my league I've been thinking about and was curious what your thoughts were.  If you look at my first post here you'll see how my league is different so I was trying to find a way at gaining an advantage over the others by doing something very different.

I was think of spending all of my $100 on RBs and WRs.  This would allow me to get two top WRs and a top RB.  I could spend something like $30, $30 and $25 and still have $15 to buy 7 other guys.  I would then use my first pick in the snake draft to get the best QB available and then my TE.  There are plenty of variations of how I could spend that money and it will depend on how the draft goes.

I look at the history of our league and see that an average of about 16 QBs get bought each draft.  If the top 16 QBs are gone that would leave me with guys like Stafford or Dalton depending on what rankings they others are using.

Is this crazy?

Hawkeye21 said:
I have a very bold strategy for my league I've been thinking about and was curious what your thoughts were.  If you look at my first post here you'll see how my league is different so I was trying to find a way at gaining an advantage over the others by doing something very different.

I was think of spending all of my $100 on RBs and WRs.  This would allow me to get two top WRs and a top RB.  I could spend something like $30, $30 and $25 and still have $15 to buy 7 other guys.  I would then use my first pick in the snake draft to get the best QB available and then my TE.  There are plenty of variations of how I could spend that money and it will depend on how the draft goes.

I look at the history of our league and see that an average of about 16 QBs get bought each draft.  If the top 16 QBs are gone that would leave me with guys like Stafford or Dalton depending on what rankings they others are using.

Is this crazy?
I don't mind at all punting one of QB or TE until the equivalent of the 11th round of a snake draft, but I wouldn't punt them both. I'd rather punt QB than TE, only because with 4-point pass TDs the PPG gap between the "near-elite" and the "solid starter" QB tiers is so minimal.

In the mock you put up last page, there were some very solid TEs that went for $1-$2 - Ertz, Barnidge, Kelce - guys I would definitely spend an extra couple of bucks on in the auction to lock up as my TE1. The difference between a $25 Cooper and a $22 Hilton is far less than the difference between a $3 Kelce and a 12th-round scrub.

Other than that, I think your plan sounds fine. As a meta-strategy, however, I'd think about putting several QBs up for bid myself when it came around to my nominations. This makes it look like you're trying to get a QB but just aren't willing to match other people's bids, rather than actively punting the position, which may make your opponents less inclined to try to keep decent ones away from you. And worst case scenario is you back into a top-15 QB for $1.

I don't mind at all punting one of QB or TE until the equivalent of the 11th round of a snake draft, but I wouldn't punt them both. I'd rather punt QB than TE, only because with 4-point pass TDs the PPG gap between the "near-elite" and the "solid starter" QB tiers is so minimal.

In the mock you put up last page, there were some very solid TEs that went for $1-$2 - Ertz, Barnidge, Kelce - guys I would definitely spend an extra couple of bucks on in the auction to lock up as my TE1. The difference between a $25 Cooper and a $22 Hilton is far less than the difference between a $3 Kelce and a 12th-round scrub.

Other than that, I think your plan sounds fine. As a meta-strategy, however, I'd think about putting several QBs up for bid myself when it came around to my nominations. This makes it look like you're trying to get a QB but just aren't willing to match other people's bids, rather than actively punting the position, which may make your opponents less inclined to try to keep decent ones away from you. And worst case scenario is you back into a top-15 QB for $1.
Good idea.  Last year I wasn't trying to get a QB at all and everyone noticed.  They could tell I was trying to wait so there was at least one guy that grabbed an extra QB just so I couldn't then tried to trade him to me.  It didn't really work for either of us since I didn't have much to choose from and he had a QB he didn't need.  Maybe this year I'll make it look like I'm trying to get one.

I'm doing a live CBS auction for the first time. My whole league will be at remote locations. Has anyone had any problems with CBS Live auction? Is their anything I need to be worried about? 

I'm doing a live CBS auction for the first time. My whole league will be at remote locations. Has anyone had any problems with CBS Live auction? Is their anything I need to be worried about? 
CBS works fine for auction.  If you have any data to import (salary, etc.) you have to make sure and do it before the draft.  CBS only updates the draft room once every 24 hours.  I learned this because we run the league at MFL, but draft at CBS.  I had to import keeper salaries.  I hope this helps.

1st couple of years drafting in local league(auction) I waited because everyone went crazy throwing around dollars.   Did very well.  Last year most did the wait approach & it caught me by surprise.  Had to adjust quickly to buy early.

Just be able to adjust.  Pre draft strategy may go right out the window.  IMO

How long have your Online Auction drafts generally lasted (start to finish)? 
Usually 1.5 to 2 hours.  I just did another one on ESPN last night and it was just over an hour, very quick.  It depends on how much money people spend early.

I tried getting AB and Julio for the second time and once again AB went for way too much for me.  I think he went for $68 this time.  I ended up getting Julio and OBJ again.

Users who are viewing this thread