What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones fans - what's the better episode? (1 Viewer)

?

• Ozymandias

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • Winds of Winter

Votes: 22 27.8%

• Total voters
Ozymandias is the pinnacle of dramatic television.  The drama, tension, gut punches left and right, the father-son moment, Skylar breaking good, the kidnapping and subsequent release, all bookended by our anti-hero holding tightest to what he's always held dearest, a barrell full of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to refresh my memory on the BB episode.  I liked the finale of BB better, but I binged watched it, so didn't quite have the same anticipation & time to dissect each episode.

I also thought episode 9 was better than the finale.  I loved them both, but I was just like "wow" after episode 9.

It's tough to compare anything to GoT as it's like a movie production.

GOT is one of my favorite shows of all time, but I don't if I have ever invested in TV show characters more than Breaking Bad.  With that said, I went with Ozymandias

Removing recency bias I can't imagine Winds of Winter holding a candle to Ozymandias if a poll is taken in a few years.  Great episode of a great show but not up to BB level.

Before I vote for both of them (since I can), I'll have to think about this.  Right now I'm thinking Ozymandias but it's really hard to compare these two shows.

I feel like Ozymandias is the pinnacle of television. Can't imagine it being beaten. But this last thrones episode at least made me think about it. 

I watched Jane die. I was there, and I watched her die. I watched her overdose and choke to death. I could have saved her, but I didn't.

I watched Jane die. I was there, and I watched her die. I watched her overdose and choke to death. I could have saved her, but I didn't.
Put it in a spoiler since its still new

That little mormont saying she will follow the blood of Stark even if he is a ******* is pretty bad ###

The power of that episode is so great that Hank's death is like the 4th best  amazing moment in the episode. His confession to Jessie, the fight in the hallway, Walt Jr. calling the police, Holly saying MaMa. There is not a finer hour of television out there

3. Winds of Winter

2. Ozy

1. Shut the Door, Have a Seat

GoT is amazing and crazy entertaining, but the sprawling narrative, magical/fantasy elements of the show and sheer # of characters in it (coupled with the fact that this show has a boner for killing everyone all the time) make development, attachment and relatability to the GoT characters much harder in my book.   With BB you had a smallish group of 8 or a dozen people and the writing was just so far beyond anything else that it's still hard to compare anything to it. 

GoT is every bit as "enjoyable" as BB was, but not as "good", if that makes any sense.      GoT cinematography and production and delivery are all top notch.   But the human element that was such a drawing force for BB is not there with GoT.    I say "wow" but I don't ultimately care that Cersei blew up 800 people.    OTOH, watching Tio Salamanca roll his dingybell ### into Fring and blow half his #### into the next frame was completely.  ######.  amazing.    Because I cared so much more about each of those characters.  

Anyway, long way for me to say that GoT is the best thing going on TV, it's fantastic, and it's still totally B-tier compared to Breaking Bad.   

Burying Hanks body in the hole that Walt dug for his drug money had to be the coldest moment in the show.    I hope to see better TV someday, but I don't expect to.

Ozymandias  might be the first time that I actually had to pause a television show just to take in all that had happened, which I still remember being somewhere around the 23 minute mark.  I quite literally just sat there slack jawed for a moment, in awe of how powerful the entire Walt/Hank/Jesse stuff was.  The crazy thing is, the episode did not let up at all for the remainder.  Easily the most memorable episode of television I've ever watched.

Serious question :   You guys actually remember the names of episodes?   I don't think I even know where to look for the name :unsure:

I really need to go back and watch the BB episode.  I recall that being the point where Walt's family started figuring everything out, and it unraveled for him.  I generally prefer episodes where the main character comes out on top.  I really liked the final episode the way he rigged up that gun.

BB never pandered to the lower tier of the audience the way GoT does from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, Winds of Winter was a good episode with a VERY good 20mins or so. But it's simply not on the same level as the best BB episodes.

Perhaps what is holding GoT back is the fact that the show goes out of it's way to throw in as much action, backstabbing, drama, twists, etc. at every turn. When these things happen in BB, it's much more real and unexpected. You can also only see so many heads being chopped off and main characters being killed (and sometimes re-animated) before it starts to lose its effect.

GoT has great characters, but they're nowhere close to as developed as those in BB. The characters in BB slowly morph over many seasons and you can see both good and bad in just about all of them (except Walt Jr). GoT is much more cut and dried, to allow the audience to digest it more easily. Very few characters really develop or show both good and evil.

BB is an incredible, nearly perfect show. It's a work of art.

GoT is a very good show, with a ton of gore/violence/boobs/action thrown in to try (a little too hard) to keep its audience entertained.

How about a spinoff of all-time TV moment? Because nothing in TV ever got me like the Red Wedding did. 

I really need to go back and watch the BB episode.  I recall that being the point where Walt's family started figuring everything out, and it unraveled for him.  I generally prefer episodes where the main character comes out on top.  I really liked the final episode the way he rigged up that gun.
Hated the gun.  Bad writing.   Irl Walt would have rigged up a bomb.   Way too many ways for the gun plan to fail.

eta:. Plus, as a chemist, the bomb would be obvious.

BB never pandered to the lower tier of the audience the way GoT does from time to time.
It absolutely did.  I love BB and its currently my #2 show all time (The Wire), but it had lazy/cheesy moments as well, you just don't remember them.

Walter's "say my name" stuff was corny.

Jesse throwing thousands of dollars out the window of his car and nobody ever mentioning it again was lame.

Walt bringing up Jane in the Ozymandias episode was pure fan service.  She'd been gone forever, there was no reason to say that to him at that point except the audience would eat it up.

There's tons of examples, but they're just little nicks out of what was an incredible series just like GOT.  GOT depending on the ending will be somewhere in my top 5.  As high as 3 most likely ahead of Sopranos and Mad Men.

Breaking Bad is definitely in my top 5, but  its after True Detective Season 2, & Vinyl. 

It absolutely did.  I love BB and its currently my #2 show all time (The Wire), but it had lazy/cheesy moments as well, you just don't remember them.

Walter's "say my name" stuff was corny.

Jesse throwing thousands of dollars out the window of his car and nobody ever mentioning it again was lame.

Walt bringing up Jane in the Ozymandias episode was pure fan service.  She'd been gone forever, there was no reason to say that to him at that point except the audience would eat it up.

There's tons of examples, but they're just little nicks out of what was an incredible series just like GOT.  GOT depending on the ending will be somewhere in my top 5.  As high as 3 most likely ahead of Sopranos and Mad Men.
Breaking Bad is my all time favorite show.  GOT is probably number 2.  I am through 3 seasons of the Wire, it is not in my top 10.  Does season 4 and 5 really get that much better? 

Breaking Bad is my all time favorite show.  GOT is probably number 2.  I am through 3 seasons of the Wire, it is not in my top 10.  Does season 4 and 5 really get that much better? 
Season 4 is the single best season of tv ever.  It really shines a harsh light on intentions vs actions and the outcomes of inner city youths in the school system.  It's really brilliant. 

Season 5 is my least favorite. Still good, but one of the main story threads is pretty lame. 

Ozymandia is the coup de grace in maybe the greatest show of all time. Some say its the best episode of a series filled with "best episodes". Winds of Winter was an excellent season finale. They nailed it......but I don't even know if its the best GoT Season Finale of all time. 

Overall, i think Game of Thrones is a better show, although its close. Ozymandias is the best episode of either show and its not that close.

I watched a few peaky blinders,  not sure what people see in it they like.   It's not bad,  but nothing about it is great either

Users who are viewing this thread