What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Beef ribs vs. Pork ribs (1 Viewer)

MikeIke

Footballguy
My grocer currently  has several packs of beef ribs available. This is highly unusual,  typically I see pork ribs, not beef. 

I'd  like to try them this weekend .   I'm used to smoking pork ribs but have never done beef. Does anyone have experience with beef ribs,  and are they different (cooking wise ) than pork? 

These  ribs are huge.  I'm talking 10 ribs is 5.5 pounds. And they're on sale for 1.99 a pound. 

Thanks  snitwitch.  I think I might give them a try this weekend. 

@tipsy mcstagger,  @[icon], do you have any advice for me? As far as I'm concerned,  you two are the BBQ gods around here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Much love but I know #### about beef ribs. Truly wish I could help. Sadly.... Not much :(

I've always liked pork better, but I cooked a full rack of beef ribs in my pit barrel cooker (there's a thread around here somewhere on this thing) and they turned out fantastic. IIRC I hung them in the barrel for 2.5 hours, put sauce on them, then another 30 minutes. 

From what little I've read, the most common mistake folks make cooking beef ribs is trying to cook them too fast. They need more time to break down the non-meat stuff which, when it liquifies, makes the meat much more tender.

Just had the ribs at Mueller's on Thursday.  I've had them many times and they are always spectacular but these were on a whole other level.  I can tell you that the only spices they use are salt and pepper.  The rest is all prep, time, and smoke.  They are plate short ribs.

Beef ribs are harder to cook. Yo have to have patience, but don't overcook or they turn tough and stringy. For that reason, I rare do beef ribs.

I decided to do what I know and stuck with pork baby backs.  Don't want to screw up 4th of July BBQ. 

Beef ribs are harder to cook. Yo have to have patience, but don't overcook or they turn tough and stringy. For that reason, I rare do beef ribs.
You guys ever do these?  Even Sam's Club is carrying them these days ...not Kroger however  :rant:

I think we like them more than pork ribs ...

ETA:  These thin sliced beef ribs cook very easily and quickly.

I'm sure it's blasphemy to the GrillGuys but we usually do ribs in the crockpot and they are awesome. Having today as a matter of fact.

Thanks  snitwitch.  I think I might give them a try this weekend. 

@tipsy mcstagger,  @[icon], do you have any advice for me? As far as I'm concerned,  you two are the BBQ gods around here. 
beef ribs are tough...literally.   I get why many boil them a little first, but I never would.   I smoke them for at least 5 hours, then wrap them in foil until they are almost falling apart.  Any less than that and they are really chewy.   They were pretty killer, but I don't run them very often. 

Today I smoked a slab of baby backs and the grocer had a small pack of 3 beef ribs so I decided I'd give it a try while I was doing the pork. First time I've ever done beef. 

They were ok,  but the entire family agreed the pork was better.  The wife and I both commented that the beef ribs tasted somewhat like pot roast,  which was surprising to me.  They also still had a good deal of fat,  probably needed to be cooked longer to render it out. 

All in all,  I'm glad I tried it but won't be changing from pork ribs any time soon. 

Today I smoked a slab of baby backs and the grocer had a small pack of 3 beef ribs so I decided I'd give it a try while I was doing the pork. First time I've ever done beef. 

They were ok,  but the entire family agreed the pork was better.  The wife and I both commented that the beef ribs tasted somewhat like pot roast,  which was surprising to me.  They also still had a good deal of fat,  probably needed to be cooked longer to render it out. 

All in all,  I'm glad I tried it but won't be changing from pork ribs any time soon. 
You sure?  My favorite cut of beef right now.

Korean short beef ribs (galbijjim) in a crockpot is very easy and amazingly delicious.
Recipe
Ooh,  that does look good.  Although I'm not sure my kids would eat it.  They prefer not to have their foods all mixed up. 

Thanks for the recipe,  though.  I'm gonna bookmark it! 

Ooh,  that does look good.  Although I'm not sure my kids would eat it.  They prefer not to have their foods all mixed up. 

Thanks for the recipe,  though.  I'm gonna bookmark it! 

That's what the recipe is that I posted here earlier - except you marinate the thinly sliced beef ribs for a couple of days (1 day is fine too) and then grill them for about 3 minutes a side.  No mixing of the food.

The great thing about the galbijjim is that the veggies (I add cubed potatoes and diced carrots in mine) soak up all the flavors of the sauce for a complex tasty bite. Put it over a bowl of fluffy rice and it's heaven.

Just had the ribs at Mueller's on Thursday.  I've had them many times and they are always spectacular but these were on a whole other level.  I can tell you that the only spices they use are salt and pepper.  The rest is all prep, time, and smoke.  They are plate short ribs.
Next time you're in Houston, try the beef ribs at Killen's. Best I've ever had. 

beef ribs are tough...literally.   I get why many boil them a little first, but I never would.   I smoke them for at least 5 hours, then wrap them in foil until they are almost falling apart.  Any less than that and they are really chewy.   They were pretty killer, but I don't run them very often. 
:goodposting:

I've done beef ribs a bunch of times as a changup, and they absolutely need a good amount of time wrapped in foil with liquid to braise. I smoke for 4-5 hours, then foil-braise with beer for 3-ish until super tender / almost falling apart and then sauce and sear off. Still prefer pork of course, but beef ribs are damn good too.

Users who are viewing this thread