What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Rio Olympics thread - a visibly nervous Ryan Lochte asks waiter at local Fogo de Chao if he can "make some calls" (1 Viewer)

Subscribe

As mentioned above:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/sport/rio-olympics-2016-security/index.html

Rio police tell tourists they won't be able to protect them

Rio de Janeiro (CNN)The Olympic Games are 31 days away -- and Rio de Janeiro is in crisis.

Violence is on the rise, and police officers are at loggerheads with the Rio state government after claiming they've not been paid for months.

The message from police to tourists is clear: We won't be able to protect you.

The state's police officers vented their anger Monday with a sign saying, "Welcome to Hell," outside Rio's main airport. "Police and firefighters don't get paid, whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe," the sign said.

And it's not just those coming from abroad who may be in danger -- locals are losing patience, too.

That's the harsh reality in the favelas around Rio, according to one resident, as the city gears up to host the 2016 Olympics amid increasing concerns over police brutality and the officers' ability, and desire, to keep people safe.

"It seems like there is an order (from authorities) to put fear in people so they stay calm, so they don't cause trouble in the city because the foreigners can't see that the city is chaotic," Higor da Silva, a resident of the Mare favela, told CNN.

"They (state police) don't care if there is a child in the middle -- they shoot their target."

State security officials told CNN they have taken measures over the years to expel officers who use excessive force and say they have decreased the use of heavy weapons.

Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes told CNN this weekthe state was doing a "terrible" job in regard to security in the lead-up to the games, set to kick off August 5.

"It's completely failing at its work of policing and taking care of people," Paes said.

But on Tuesday, Brazilian officials put on a united front to assure the world that Rio was up to the task of hosting sport's greatest showpiece.

"We are ready to start the games," Carlos Arthur Nuzman, president of the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, said at a press conference in the city, adding that the event "could start today."

"They will be a maximum success in this beautiful city of ours," he said.

Speaking alongside him, Paes reiterated the announcement but cautioned that visitors should not expect to find a city that operates like Chicago, New York or London.

"Our development stage is different," he said.

Bailout

Rio de Janeiro state, which controls the region's military police force, issued an executive order requesting emergency funds from the federal government to pay officers their bonuses and overtime.

The 2.9 billion-real bailout (roughly $850 million) was made available last week after acting Gov.Francisco Dornelles said the games could be a "big failure" without the funds. It's believed that the back pay will be distributed this week.

"We are numbers, nothing more," one officer, who wished to remain anonymous, told CNN.

Police and firefighters protest over pay Monday at the Rio de Janeiro airport.

"You encounter a drug trafficker armed with lots of ammunition and you only have only 20 bullets. It is absurd."

Two officers, interviewed by CNN on condition of anonymity, said the city's scant resources are used to patrol tourist hotspots such as Copacabana instead of favelas where criminal gangs run the streets.

They have risked speaking out because they say they've watched fellow officers die to preserve Rio's image -- not to protect its people.

"We have a very common saying here in Brazil -- for the English to see," one of the officers said. "I believe that the politicians here are doing everything for the English to see."

Death rate rising

According to figures from Brazil's Public Security Institute published last week and distributed by Amnesty International, on-duty officers killed 40 people in May alone -- police killed 17 people during the same period last year.

Last year, police killed at least 307 people in Rio -- a figure that accounts for one in every five homicides there, according to Amnesty.

According to the figures, police killed 645 people in the state in 2015, and many of the victims were young, black men from favelas and poor communities.

Body parts found on Olympic site

"Brazil has one of the highest levels of homicides in the world, with around 42,000 people killed with guns every year," Atila Roque, Amnesty International's Brazil executive director, said in a statement.

"Those living in the most marginalized areas of the city are disproportionally affected by this crisis."

When Brazil hosted the World Cup in 2014, police in Rio de Janeiro state killed 580 people, a 40% increase from the previous year, the rights group said.

Problems mounting

Brazil has been plagued by problems leading up to the Olympics.

In May, the Brazilian Senate voted to begin impeachment proceedings against President Dilma Rousseff.

Rousseff is accused of breaking budget laws, but she maintains she did the same things previous Brazilian leaders have done.

An Australian athlete was mugged close to her hotellast month, and fears over the Zika virus have ledseveral elite athletes, including the world's top golfer, to pull out.

And on Tuesday, a group of Brazilian scientists announced it had detected a drug-resistant bacteria growing off the shores of some of Rio's most iconic beaches

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you may get murdered or get flesh eating bacteria...but the asses on display at Copacabana beach make it a push.

Don't forget the gunfight at the hotel popular with tourists or the teenage girl that was gang raped and ignored by the police (despite video of the rape being uploaded online) until it became an international news story.

Almost forgot the chopped up bodies washing ashore at the volleyball beach. Good times.

I was too worried about this stuff to go to the World Cup a couple of years ago.  Zika is new since then.  The corruption scandal has completely blown up with Rousseff and Lula.  Oil prices have collapsed and made the situation much worse.  I can't imagine traveling for this. 

Would rather visit Russia :unsure:

Don't forget the gunfight at the hotel popular with tourists or the teenage girl that was gang raped and ignored by the police (despite video of the rape being uploaded online) until it became an international news story.

Almost forgot the chopped up bodies washing ashore at the volleyball beach. Good times.
Drug-resistant bacteria in the sailing course waters from the sewage dumps.

Can we get a link to Russian Olympic nightmare thread? 

Although really,  not enough snow and unfinished hotels seem a little trivial compared to the Brazil nightmare. 

I am hoping that this thread becomes my favorite one on the internet!  SO much potential!!

How pissed are Madrid, Tokyo, and Chicago right now?  (the other 3 finalists for the 2016 olympics)

The Zika concerns are completely overblown unless it's a woman who is pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or a guy planning on knocking up his girl in the next few months. Otherwise, you're risking the flu. BFD. 

Pretty much everything else though, especially security concerns, would have me staying home.

The Zika concerns are completely overblown unless it's a woman who is pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or a guy planning on knocking up his girl in the next few months. Otherwise, you're risking the flu. BFD. 

Pretty much everything else though, especially security concerns, would have me staying home.
Yeah I would cancel my trip if I was planning on going. Sounds like a third world hellhole. I'd be really concerned about terrorism with the police being in total chaos. 

Heard someone (Dan Patrick, I think) say that for these reasons, the Zika is giving 'pro' athletes in sports where the Olympics isn't really the top of the mountain for their sports (like golf, BBall) an easy out for not going, so they don't seem snobby and obnoxious.

man cappy you are the headline mastertron of the universe from the down under take that to the bank bromigo holy smokes that made me laugh out loud well played 

Sure unplanned pregnancies never happened.  I'd be confidently banging away with the thought I might be infected.

F that, I got enough pressure just trying to make sure she gets hers.

Heard someone (Dan Patrick, I think) say that for these reasons, the Zika is giving 'pro' athletes in sports where the Olympics isn't really the top of the mountain for their sports (like golf, BBall) an easy out for not going, so they don't seem snobby and obnoxious.
It was always supposed to be for amateur athletes anyway.

It was always supposed to be for amateur athletes anyway.
Yeah, but so many olympians are 'pro' nowadays it's hard to find an amateur.

I was too worried about this stuff to go to the World Cup a couple of years ago.  Zika is new since then.  The corruption scandal has completely blown up with Rousseff and Lula.  Oil prices have collapsed and made the situation much worse.  I can't imagine traveling for this. 

Would rather visit Russia :unsure:
How 'bout Toledo?

I hate that this is the case, but I'm very concerned about a terrorist attack.
If Brazil is a crappy as it's being made out to be, I'm not sure terrorist would bother attacking it. Hell, the terrorist might get robbed, raped and killed before they can blow anything up.

I'll make this my ***OFFICIAL*** announcement :

Due to security and health concerns,  I will not be participating in the 2016 Olympic Games  

I hate that this is the case, but I'm very concerned about a terrorist attack.
Yep. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/politics/gitmo-brazil-missing-detainee/

Washington (CNN)U.S. and Brazilian authorities are hunting for a former Guantanamo Bay detainee who has disappeared from Uruguay, as a South American airline issued a warning he may try to use a fake passport to enter Brazil ahead of the Olympic Games there next month.
Several senior U.S. officials said 44-year-old Abu Wa'el Dhiab, a Syrian national, went off the radar several weeks ago from Uruguay, where he was resettled in 2014 after being released.

Uruguayan officials said he traveled to Brazil, but Brazilian officials told CNN they have no record of Dhiab having legally entered their country.
Avianca Brazil Airlines issued an alert warning employees that Dhiab may try to fly using a fake passport, a representative from the airline told CNN. An image of the alert, first published by the Argentine web news portal Infobae, says the information came from Brazil's anti-terrorism police.  Dhiab's disappearance raises concerns about regional security in the weeks leading up to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro that are due to begin in August.

A U.S. State Department report on terrorism last year noted that Brazilian police had uncovered a fraudulent document ring in December that had enabled at least 20 Syrian nationals to obtain Brazilian passports.  U.S. officials said Dhiab passed through Brazil in route to Venezuela, where he was last spotted. He is believed to be trying to get to the Middle East, possibly to Syria or Yemen.  "It is not clear whether he wants to go back to the fight or simply go back to the region of the world where he is from and just wants to live there," one senior administration official said, adding that Brazil has the lead on the investigation.

Interpol would not comment on whether Uruguay or Brazil have asked for assistance in tracking Dhiab.

Dhiab was part of a group of six prisoners who were released and transferred to Uruguay in 2014. He was captured by the U.S. military in Afghanistan in 2002 and was accused of being part of an al Qaeda cell, but was never charged and cleared for release in 2009. It took five years for the U.S. to find a country willing to take him.
Uruguay's Interior Ministry told CNN that Dhiab was considered a refugee by the government and, as such, he would not need permission from Uruguayan authorities to leave the country. They said he would need only permission from the foreign country he wished to enter, per an agreement with the U.S. that enabled the release of the Gitmo detainees to Uruguay.

At the time of their transfer, then-President of Uruguay Jose Mujica said on his website: "We have offered our hospitality for humans suffering a heinous kidnapping in Guantanamo. The unavoidable reason is humanitarian."

Mujica also said that his government would place no restriction on their movements, adding that "the first day they want to leave, they can go," according to a report in The New York Times.  But several senior administration officials have told CNN that under the agreement, Uruguayan authorities agreed to keep track of former detainees resettled in their country.

"They should be careful calling this guy a refugee because he is not one," one senior State Department official told CNN, adding, "Under the agreement they agreed to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't return to the fight."

U.S. officials have noted a perceived lack of political will on the part of the Uruguayan government to keep tabs of the detainees or do anything on their behalf. The U.S. government is in the process of re-engaging with the Uruguayans to ensure they meet their responsibilities to monitor and provide for the detainees, the officials said.
Dhiab and the other detainees have been very vocal about their unhappiness in their new homes in Uruguay, saying they felt alienated in a country where they did not speak the language and there is no Muslim community. They have complained that the government had not been doing enough to help them get jobs and that they continued to be separated from their families.

Dhiab's disappearance could provide fuel for opponents of efforts to close the detention facility at Guantanamo, especially if Dhiab is found to be attempting to join a terrorist group. Of the 676 detainees released from the detention facility as of January, 118 have returned to the fight and an additional 86 are suspected of returning, a recidivism rate of nearly 1 out every 3 released, according to the most recent report from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

How pissed are Madrid, Tokyo, and Chicago right now?  (the other 3 finalists for the 2016 olympics)
I'm guessing pretty happy they don't have an Olympic size headache right now. 

The olympics are one of those things that seems better to the host city when they are bidding, than it really turns out. 

How awesome would an action/SciFi movie be where an Olympic city fell under control of terrorists/anarchists/gangs/whatever, and the Olympic athletes had to use their skills and equipment to fight their way to an extraction point? 

Yea I can't imagine an American city ever realistically bidding for an Olympics again. They are such a disaster to put on in every phase that they really are better left for state-run hellholes like China or Russia who can do whatever they want. F paying billions of dollars for a bunch of useless stadiums for a 14-day event. 

The World Cup makes so much more sense because it is spread out and we can use our football stadiums. Shame they can't just do an American Olympics with events across the country. 

Users who are viewing this thread