What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Chad ‘Swag’ Kelly, Colts (1 Viewer)

Last week, Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly posted an Instagram video of him throwing a ball 76 yards in the air.

The nephew of Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly has a howitzer. In fact, NFL Media recently named Kelly's arm the strongest in all of college football. The NFL is interested in that, and also in this: Last season, Kelly completed 64.9 percent of his throws outside the numbers. He had 35 completions of 20 or more yards on such throws. Both marks led all Power Five quarterbacks. If you're expecting Ole Miss' aerial attack to drop off with Laquan Treadwell now a Minnesota Viking, Kelly will have you singing a different tune come the fall. 
Jun 2 - 3:30 PM

Source: Instagram

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang ranked Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly as the No. 10 overall senior prospect in the 2017 class.

"Dismissed by Clemson, Kelly comes with off-field questions," Rang wrote, "but his strong arm and bloodlines (nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly) earns him our top spot among senior QBs." Anybody who has been crunching 2017 mock drafts would not be surprised by Rang's love -- he mocked Kelly to be the No. 2 overall pick and noted that he could "soar up draft boards with a big 2016 season." 

May 19 - 3:40 PM

Source: CBS Sports

CBS Sports' Rob Rang pegged Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly as the No. 2 overall pick in an early 2017 mock draft.

Rang ran his mock order using Vegas Super Bowl odds for the coming season. That No. 2 pick where he slots Kelly would belong to the 49ers using the Vegas metric. "Kelly -- the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly and not related to 49ers coach Chip Kelly -- possesses the arm and athleticism to be an ideal match in Chip's offense," the analyst wrote. "He comes with questions on and off the field, but he is an undeniable talent that could soar up draft boards with a big 2016 season." The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder is one of just three gunslingers Rang sees coming off the board in round one, at least at this juncture. The other two gentlemen in question are Clemson's Deshaun Watson (whom he slots to the Browns at No. 1) and Miami's Brad Kaaya (whom he slots to the Vikings at No. 23). This is all tentative and will undoubtedly shift over the coming months. 

May 14 - 2:54 PM

Source: CBS Sports

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter wrote that Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly is "a guy you want on your team."

Reuter called Kelly "a fiery competitor with plenty of arm strength." The 6-foot-1, 210-pound gunslinger wasn't quite able to crack Reuter's "Elite" or "Potential for Greatness" quarterbacking tiers, but joined Iowa's C.J. Beathard, Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and Houston's Greg Ward Jr. in the analyst's "Worth the price of admission" tier. Kelly toyed with the idea of entering the 2016 draft, but eventually opted to return to the Rebels for another year in the oven before he tries for the NFL. Last season, he threw for 4,042 yards with a 31/13 TD/INT ratio. We think his decision to return to school should help his draft stock unless he shows major signs of regression. 

May 13 - 9:50 PM

Source: NFL.com

Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly said "I'm the best quarterback in the nation."
"I want to be remembered as the greatest quarterback that ever played," Kelly said. You don't know Swag Kelly if you think he stopped there. There was a shot left to take at his former school, Clemson, whose own QB Deshaun Watson had been relegated to no better than the second-best signal-caller in the nation by noted evaluator Swag Kelly earlier in the conversation. A reported asked about playing at LSU. Swag's response: "I'm excited to get down there to the real Death Valley to see how loud it is. The real Death Valley with 100,000." Last year, Swag, a 6-foot-1, 210-pounder, threw for 4,042 yards with a 31/13 TD/INT ratio and led the Rebels to a 10-3 record and a top-10 passing offense finish.

Source: ESPN 
Jul 14 - 5:44 PM

Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly completed 21-of-39 passes for 312 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions in Monday's 45-34 loss to FSU.
If there has ever been a quintessential Chad Kelly performance, it was this one. He showcased every element of his game, for better or worse. Beautiful, NFL-caliber throws and brilliantly timed runs in the first half -- when Kelly threw three of his four touchdown passes -- gave way to an almost complete offensive breakdown in the second half, one which saw Kelly seem to freeze like a deer in the headlights at times. That will happen when DeMarcus Walker is hurtling toward you every other play. When he is going well, Swag is an awesome fantasy quantity. His inconsistency can be maddening, though.

Sep 6 - 12:26 AM

NFC scout was surprised with Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly's underthrows against Alabama.
"This was my first time seeing Chad Kelly in person. For supposedly having such a strong arm, he sure did have his share of underthrows," the scout said. This was Lance Zierlein's take on that: "Kelly has the ability to put plenty of zip on most of his short to intermediate throws, but was plagued by some deep-ball shots that came up a little short against Alabama. While there are different ways to view and evaluate arm strength, my guess is that this scout will see enough arm when he gets in-depth with tape study of Kelly."

Sep 25 - 11:52 AM

I haven't watched him yet but all I hear people say is he's a gun-slinger that makes bad choices every once in a while.  True or False?

Zyphros said:
I haven't watched him yet but all I hear people say is he's a gun-slinger that makes bad choices every once in a while.  True or False?
True

le Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly appeared to be present in a Snapchat photograph in which he was seated at a table with a bag of marijuana.
Well, that is one way to relax after you tear your ACL and lateral meniscus. In the Snapchat photograph -- helpfully titled "Blunts with chad kelly" by a friend -- the quarterback (allegedly, as his face is not in full view) is depicted with three other humans around a table containing a bag of marijuana, a bag of fast food and what would appear to be a half-gallon of water. This won't have any impact on Swag's collegiate career, as the aforementioned knee injury is going to keep him out for the remainder, but NFL teams and scouts will certainly be asking about this photo come the start of the draft process. The timing is at least a little better than that of former teammate Laremy Tunsil, who had his own marijuana-themed photograph drop the night of the draft itself this past April.

Source: Hudson Wright on Twitter

Bills snag him in the 5th round. His rookie year, pot is legalized in NY and photos of him and his offensive tackle surface doing bongs hits.

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. says Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly (knee) has dropped into Day 3 territory.

Kelly's season-ending knee injury didn't help his draft status. "I think when you look at Chad Kelly right now, in a year like this you could have him anywhere between the seventh-highest rated quarterback or the 12th," Kiper said. "Had he stayed healthy, I think he would have been solidly one of the top-10 quarterbacks. Right now I have a Day-3 grade on him." Kelly was Kiper's No. 1 senior quarterback prospect earlier this season. He threw for 2,758 yards and 19 touchdowns in nine games before the torn AC and lateral meniscus.

Source: Clarion Ledger 
Dec 12 - 1:16 PM

An NFL executive believes that Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly "could be a value pick with some upside."
NFL Media asked multiple NFL executives which quarterback could jump out in the later rounds as 2017's version of Dak Prescott. Kelly is currently rehabbing a knee injury and in December, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. forwarded the belief that the Rebel signal-caller had dropped into Day 3 territory. Positive medical checks would help his stock, but just how much he will be able to participate in the draft process is not yet known. He has accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl, but he won't be playing in that contest.

Dec 29 - 6:43 PM

Right now I have a Day-3 grade on him." Kelly was Kiper's No. 1 senior quarterback prospect earlier this season.
Goes to show you that Kiper doesn't know anything more than anybody else. To go from #1 to Day 3 pick? That's a pretty big fall.

Miss QB Chad Kelly (ACL) is hoping to be able to throw at the NFL combine or at the Rebels' pro day.
Kelly, who tore his ACL and lateral meniscus against Georgia Southern, is currently at the Senior Bowl. His knee injury has made him a non-participant, so he's using this week as a P.R. campaign of sorts to answer questions about his previous off-field incidents. "You've got to make sure you're saying the right stuff to every team because they all speak to each other," Kelly said. "You've got to be honest, of course, but you've got to admit to what you did and you've got to try to convince them that you've learned from those mistakes and that you're not going to make them again."

Source: Associated Press 
Jan 25 - 5:03 PM

SproutDaddy said:
Manziel 2.0 without the resume.
Bingo! Ole Miss had no running game so they put everything on his shoulders.  He's a gunslinger with lots of off-field issues.  You have the Clemson stuff, but also during his bye week last fall, he was at his brother's high school football game. He charged the field after a player tackled his brother late out of bounds.  Coaches had to restrain him from fighting with opposing team's coaches and players.  Also, a picture surfaced at end of season of him at a poker game with blunts on the table.

Agreed, this guy is a bust waiting to happen.
Not exactly a bust if drafted on day 3.

I'm actually going contrarian on Kelly.  I think if he gets to a good situation (NOS, PIT, ARI) where he can sit behind a vet for a couple years and learn he could develop nicely.  This was the guy I thought would be in the conversation for the Browns at #1 once he didn't come out last year.  Obviously the season didn't go his way but the talent is in there.  He needs to learn to harness it.

Not exactly a bust if drafted on day 3.

I'm actually going contrarian on Kelly.  I think if he gets to a good situation (NOS, PIT, ARI) where he can sit behind a vet for a couple years and learn he could develop nicely.  This was the guy I thought would be in the conversation for the Browns at #1 once he didn't come out last year.  Obviously the season didn't go his way but the talent is in there.  He needs to learn to harness it.

Agree to disagree. Guy has a ten cent head. Those guys rarely make it.

Bingo! Ole Miss had no running game so they put everything on his shoulders.  He's a gunslinger with lots of off-field issues.  You have the Clemson stuff, but also during his bye week last fall, he was at his brother's high school football game. He charged the field after a player tackled his brother late out of bounds.  Coaches had to restrain him from fighting with opposing team's coaches and players.  Also, a picture surfaced at end of season of him at a poker game with blunts on the table.
This is just beyond stupid. It's an utter lack of self-control.

It's a shame. I had hopes, but this kid will go nowhere in the NFL.

Well at least he's a loyal brother...

Appearing on ESPN Radio, Bill Polian said Ole Miss' Chad Kelly is likely "the most talented QB in the draft."
"But he has a ton of baggage, so that is another issue," Polian said. The former Colts GM was the person to report Kelly's initial invitation to the NFL Combine being pulled due to a new rule implemented by the event. We aren't sure how Chad Kelly is the most talented passer. Sure, he displays great moments, even against Alabama, but he is the definition of a high variance player. Kelly will be a third day pick, at best.

Source: ESPN 
Feb 17 - 9:50 AM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline views Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly as a "a sandlot quarterback with marginal next-level potential" and agrees with the decision to snub Kelly from the NFL Combine.
"I don’t think [not inviting Kelly to the NFL Combine is] that big of a deal because I don’t believe Kelly is a good pro prospect," Pauline wrote. Even before the news about his combine snub broke, I graded him as a sixth-round choice with little chance of making a final roster next fall." Of quarterbacks expected to go on Day 3, Kelly is perhaps the most divisive prospect. Bill Polian of ESPN last week that Kelly is probably "the most talented QB in the draft." For the record, the Rotoworld draft team leans closer to Pauline's opinion of Kelly than Polian's.

Source: TFY Draft Insider
Feb 20 - 12:48 PM

Van McAllister, one of Ole Miss' Chad Kelly's agents, says his client will travel to the NFL Combine unless the NFL explains why he wasn't invited.
"Until we get a written disinvite or whatever you want to call if from the league, we’ll be in Indy," McAllister said. "We’ll show up and they’ll have to tell Chad ‘no’ then because they’re obviously not willing to put it in writing to tell Chad ‘no’ now." Kelly was invited and then dis-invited to the Combine. While no explanation was given, it's believed that the NFL rescinded Kelly's invite because he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in 2015 following a fight with two nightclub bouncers. With Kelly coming off ACL surgery, none of this is good news for his Draft stock. MMQB's Emily Kaplan says he's "at best ... a late-round flier," an opinion we agree with.

Source: MMQ 
Feb 22 - 6:44 PM

Matt Waldman of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio considers Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly a top three prospect at his position based on talent.
Waldman did not reveal the other two passers that make up the top three, but it certainly breaks groupthink. As of now there are a standard four atop boards: Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer, Mitch Trubisky and Patrick Mahomes. Waldman compares Kelly's on-field style to Brett Favre, even looking "bored" at times on the field with what he was asked to do. Waldman cites a coaching clinic where Hugh Freeze discussed Kelly's A.D.D., and Ole Miss' process in shifting their verbage to fit his style.

Source: Rotoworld 
Mar 1 - 9:36 AM

Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman reports that Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly's off-field baggage is "considerably worse than what has been reported."
If you're wondering why Kelly hasn't been discussed much despite his NFL bloodlines, howitzer arm and solid athleticism, look no further than his character concerns and ACL injury. That confluence of factors may make him a Day 3 steal. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, for one, believes Kelly might have the strong arm in the Draft class.

Source: Fox Sports 
Mar 14 - 1:39 PM

Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly was cleared by doctors to complete a pro day throwing session of 35-45 plays.
Kelly is working back from an ACL injury, which kept him out of the Senior Bowl. Kelly also had his NFL Combine invite rescinded, and Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman recently said Kelly's "baggage" is "considerably worse than what has been reported," but elected to not expand on that statement. Many respected evaluators have plenty of positive things to say about Kelly's game, including Matt Waldman.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Following Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly's injury-shortened pro day throwing session, NFL Media's Bucky Brooks says it's becoming more difficult to view him as a draftable commodity.

Kelly threw only 12 passes on Monday before aggravating a wrist injury he suffered in training. He's also coming off a torn ACL. "It continues to really make it difficult to make a strong case for him to be a draftable guy late in the draft," said Brooks. "He has talent, but (with) the character and the talent, and you factor in the injuries, I don't know if the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to a draft situation." In addition to his health, Kelly has a laundry list of off-field concerns. He was booted off Clemson early in his collegiate career and was charged in 2015 with multiple misdemeanors following an altercation with officers. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct. Because of that incident, Kelly was barred from participating in the NFL Combine. Kelly re-scheduled another workout for scouts on April 22. "Only teams that like him (will go)," said Brooks' colleague Lance Zierlein.

Apr 4 - 1:13 PM

Though an AFC East scout believes Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly has the potential to become a low-end NFL starter, he won't go to bat for Kelly on Draft Day.

"He's okay," the scout said. "I think he could be a low-end NFL starter. I just wouldn't want to put my name behind him because I think it will come back and bite you with on-field and off-field mistakes. We value leadership at quarterback and I don't trust his." Kelly is coming off a torn ACL, but his off-field concerns, as noted by the evaluator, concern the NFL more than his knee. He was kicked off Clemson early in his career, then charged in 2015 with multiple misdemeanors following an altercation with officers. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, an incident that prevented him from participating in the NFL Combine. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Kelly to Andy Dalton. "He's hardly a scouting favorite based on reputation and inconsistency, but Kelly has attributes that could make him an eventual starter in the league if his personal and football character are kept in check," Zierlein wrote.

Apr 16 - 1:21 PM

Users who are viewing this thread