Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty: QB Chad ‘Swag’ Kelly, Colts

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

If this guy grows up and gets his shirt together, he'll be the best QB from this class. 

Completely agree.  Put his team on his back and carried them in multiple starts at the college level.  Could be Brett Favre or Jamarcus Russell.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He not that good.  Ole Miss was supposed to be a national contender last year.  They were 3-5 when he got hurt.  He's had a couple of big wins, but nothing to get excited about.  Sure he has the measurables and bloodline, but he's a idiot.  I'm definitely biased as an Ole Miss hater, but I've had much respect for players coming from that school.  Specifically Deuce and Patrick Willis.  He's had a ton of talent around him and his major feat is beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa.  Pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Broncos coach Vance Joseph said seventh-round QB Chad Kelly (wrist) "should be totally cleared by August."

Kelly was forced to undergo surgery for a ruptured ligament in his throwing wrist in April after being uninvited from the Combine because of an off-field incident. The Broncos still took a shot on him with the last pick in the draft, and they apparently expect him to participate at some point in training camp. With no chance to start this year, the Broncos might prefer Kelly sitting on the NFI list all season.
 
 
May 13 - 10:55 AM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad Jensen‏ @ChadNJensen 18h18 hours ago

This Draft for the #Broncos tells me that Chad Kelly has more than a fighting chance to make something of himself in Denver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Faust said:

Love his attitude (from the above link):

For Kelly to suddenly be on the same competitive plane as Lynch, a 2016 first-round pick, is confirmation of how well his offseason has gone. Training camp awaits, preseason games will be played and Lynch's status as a former No. 1 pick could always factor into any equation, but Kelly ate better, worked harder and now has an opportunity to carve out a spot as Keenum's backup.

"This is what you do; this is your job," Kelly said. "To be able to get out here with the guys and get back into the swing of things, like I said, it's your job. This is all you do. You go home, you study and you just keep on working on your craft. This is my craft right now ... being out of the game for a year and a half, there hasn't been any consistency in what I've been doing."

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly, along with Davis Webb, are gambles which could pay off big, especially in superflex leagues.

I believe Kelly will eventually win the backup job in Denver this season & Webb could very well finish 2018 as the Giants' starter.

Both have enough raw ability to be NFL starters, IMO, especially Kelly. It just depends on how much they can develop.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited to see Swag Kelly. like what I've heard. hope it's better than Webb's debut

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Faust said:

Joseph said Lynch's performance was "up and down". I must have missed the up part. Even his completions were poorly thrown. He missed several throwing opportunities  to open or soon to be open players. He shows no energy out there. 

Kelly has come a long way. A year ago it didn't sound like he had a chance. I've heard good reports this off season and he looked fantastic albeit in a pre season game.

Joseph shouldn't immediately annoint him the number two job but he can't possibly have anything good to say about Lynch.

Edited by Mongidig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Excited to see Swag Kelly. like what I've heard. hope it's better than Webb's debut

The guy lead his team to victory over Alabama, has the arm and athleticism, would have been a high pick if not for the off field issues. It may take some time for him to learn the system though. just stay clean and he'll have a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

The guy lead his team to victory over Alabama, has the arm and athleticism, would have been a high pick if not for the off field issues. It may take some time for him to learn the system though. just stay clean and he'll have a chance. 

I'm super impressed by his turn around this offseason. Meeting with Elway and mentoring with Peyton Manning to look at film and so forth. 

Denver needs to wake up. Elway and company clearly dont like to admit wrongs in draft picks, and them sticking with Lynch as QB2 is further indication of their ineptitude at managing this franchise. It's like watching Browns 2.0 sometimes, but with a different spin on it. 

Eventually Kelly is going to be QB2

A lot of people are salivating over Rudolph as Big Ben's eventual replacement when they are missing 2 potential better 2nd year QBs. Kelly being one of them. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm super impressed by his turn around this offseason. Meeting with Elway and mentoring with Peyton Manning to look at film and so forth. 

Denver needs to wake up. Elway and company clearly dont like to admit wrongs in draft picks, and them sticking with Lynch as QB2 is further indication of their ineptitude at managing this franchise. It's like watching Browns 2.0 sometimes, but with a different spin on it. 

Eventually Kelly is going to be QB2

From what I hear, Elway is about the only person in the organization who still has faith in Lynch. The good news is that if Kelly succeeds it will be a great bragging opportunity for Elway. Mr Irrelevant to Mr. very relevant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

He looks like a cross between Favre/Brees.......potentially!

:popcorn:

 

Keenum doesnt even look that good when you get him out from behind that MIN OL. Not to put the cart ahead of the horse, Kelly has a long way to go, but Kelly has huge potential to be the guy in 2019

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

:popcorn:

 

Keenum doesnt even look that good when you get him out from behind that MIN OL. Not to put the cart ahead of the horse, Kelly has a long way to go, but Kelly has huge potential to be the guy in 2019

The way he plays and looks out there those are the QB's he reminds me of. I thought this when he played in college. 

He has a long long way to go. I just see the potential even though a lot of things have to go right for him. I'd still take Favre and Brees over him

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The irony is that if the Broncos kept Kyle Sloter who has looked fantastic two pre seasons in a row we wouldn't be having this conversation. Minnesota smartly snagged him right up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly is NFL QB material. Lynch can't even figure out where the blitz is coming front and direct his RB to move to the other side of him....after 3 years. Getting him in the 1st cancels out the mistake of Lynch in the 1st. Elway should be able to figure that out. Who cares if you blow it in the 1st fi you find a gem in the 7th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 0:18 PM, Mongidig said:

Joseph said Lynch's performance was "up and down". I must have missed the up part. Even his completions were poorly thrown. He missed several throwing opportunities  to open or soon to be open players. He shows no energy out there. 

Kelly has come a long way. A year ago it didn't sound like he had a chance. I've heard good reports this off season and he looked fantastic albeit in a pre season game.

Joseph shouldn't immediately annoint him the number two job but he can't possibly have anything good to say about Lynch.

I think by "up", he meant that the receivers needed to be higher up to catch some of his passes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The emphasis given to draft position in DEN is getting sickening.  Lynch is entering his 3rd NFL season and has shown absolutely zero progression in his level of play.  It’s like watching Booker getting priority with the RBs.  Kelly is outplaying Lynch badly and the margin between them is getting progressively wider, yet it seems like the only chance these lower drafted guys will get in the NFL is to have DEN cut them.  So damned frustrating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

The emphasis given to draft position in DEN is getting sickening.  Lynch is entering his 3rd NFL season and has shown absolutely zero progression in his level of play.  It’s like watching Booker getting priority with the RBs.  Kelly is outplaying Lynch badly and the margin between them is getting progressively wider, yet it seems like the only chance these lower drafted guys will get in the NFL is to have DEN cut them.  So damned frustrating.

Denver management in a nutshell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 0:26 PM, Dr. Dan said:

Denver needs to wake up. Elway and company clearly dont like to admit wrongs in draft picks, and them sticking with Lynch as QB2 is further indication of their ineptitude at managing this franchise. It's like watching Browns 2.0 sometimes, but with a different spin on it. 

The different spin being they won a Super Bowl three years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

The different spin being they won a Super Bowl three years ago?

Not saying he's a bad GM, or that he drafts poorly. He doesn't admit defeat on higher/mid draft picks. I think Lynch is a great example of this. Elway wants him to work out so badly because it was a high draft investment (and a questionable one at the time I remember). And what GM wouldn't want that to work out? But you know what you've got with Lynch- a guy from an over simplified college offense who can't handle the complex read progressions at the NFL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if Lynch is the #2 QB in Denver by next weeks game, expect protests.  riots in the streets, people putting up billboards, local media calling for Elways head, etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Not saying he's a bad GM, or that he drafts poorly. He doesn't admit defeat on higher/mid draft picks. I think Lynch is a great example of this. Elway wants him to work out so badly because it was a high draft investment (and a questionable one at the time I remember). And what GM wouldn't want that to work out? But you know what you've got with Lynch- a guy from an over simplified college offense who can't handle the complex read progressions at the NFL level.

And who would prefer to play video games in his spare time instead of learning how to play QB in the NFL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moleculo said:

if Lynch is the #2 QB in Denver by next weeks game, expect protests.  riots in the streets, people putting up billboards, local media calling for Elways head, etc.

Good lord.  Miss on a first rounder, but nailed it in the 7th.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Not saying he's a bad GM, or that he drafts poorly. He doesn't admit defeat on higher/mid draft picks. I think Lynch is a great example of this. Elway wants him to work out so badly because it was a high draft investment (and a questionable one at the time I remember). And what GM wouldn't want that to work out? But you know what you've got with Lynch- a guy from an over simplified college offense who can't handle the complex read progressions at the NFL level.

The Broncos started a 7th rounder over their 1st rounder 2 consecutive years and just moved a different 7th rounder above their 1st rounder one game after said 7th rounders first preseason game ever. What are you talking about?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

The Broncos started a 7th rounder over their 1st rounder 2 consecutive years and just moved a different 7th rounder above their 1st rounder one game after said 7th rounders first preseason game ever. What are you talking about?

I'm not the only one to say this yet you single me out. not worth taking the bait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm not the only one to say this yet you single me out. not worth taking the bait

I'm not baiting you. I literally have no idea how Paxton getting leaped by 2 separate 7th rounders on 3 separate occasions is an example of the fo giving brownsian preferential treatment to their 1st rounder.

A simple question is not bait. I think your perception is just wrong. Just simple interweb conversation.

Edited by Buffaloes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buffaloes said:

I'm not baiting you. I literally have no idea how Paxton getting leaped by 2 separate 7th rounders on 3 separate occasions is an example of the fo giving brownsian preferential treatment to their 1st rounder.

A simple question is not bait. I think your perception is just wrong. Just simple interweb conversation.

noted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my point about Elway is that he had a knack for sticking with his draft picks through the entirety of their first contract, no matter what it seems. 

I recalled reading this article a while back about Henderson and thought this was interesting:

Quote

The only draft picks taken by this team that were cut and didn’t make it through their first contract were Montee Ball (second round, 2013, cut after two seasons) and Michael Schofield (third round, 2014, cut in fourth season).

I find that hard to believe personally, but that's what I'm talking about. not realizing it's time to cut bait. Elway took Lynch as a development prospect.and knew as such, but he seems to be the only one in existence who thinks he can play. I dont even think Jerry Jones gives him a call in the event he is cut, and he was significantly regretful of not trading up to get him. 

it's awesome to see Kelly moving up the depth chart

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy drafted him in my dynasty league last year and kept him on the bench.  If he turns out, good for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

my point about Elway is that he had a knack for sticking with his draft picks through the entirety of their first contract, no matter what it seems. 

I recalled reading this article a while back about Henderson and thought this was interesting:

I find that hard to believe personally, but that's what I'm talking about. not realizing it's time to cut bait. Elway took Lynch as a development prospect.and knew as such, but he seems to be the only one in existence who thinks he can play. I dont even think Jerry Jones gives him a call in the event he is cut, and he was significantly regretful of not trading up to get him. 

it's awesome to see Kelly moving up the depth chart

If you draft someone knowing it's going to take a few years for them to be NFL ready, you don't cut them after one year.  Two, maybe.  After training camp in year 3?  I think that's appropriate.  I mean, have a little patience, especially if it's a project kind of guy.

One other point here: 1st round rookie contracts have a lot of guaranteed money baked in.  Had Elway cut Lynch last year, he would have been looking at $5M+ in dead money. Hell, it's over $4M in dead money if he cuts him today. 

That's not a huge number, but Elway had done a fantastic job of managing dead money since he took over.  On 3 of the past 4 years, Broncos have had been one of the 5 best teams in the league in terms of lowest amount of dead money on the books.  Link

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, moleculo said:

If you draft someone knowing it's going to take a few years for them to be NFL ready, you don't cut them after one year.  Two, maybe.  After training camp in year 3?  I think that's appropriate.  I mean, have a little patience, especially if it's a project kind of guy.

One other point here: 1st round rookie contracts have a lot of guaranteed money baked in.  Had Elway cut Lynch last year, he would have been looking at $5M+ in dead money. Hell, it's over $4M in dead money if he cuts him today. 

That's not a huge number, but Elway had done a fantastic job of managing dead money since he took over.  On 3 of the past 4 years, Broncos have had been one of the 5 best teams in the league in terms of lowest amount of dead money on the books.  Link

yeah I'm not advocating for Elway to have cut Lynch after year 1. guess I figure he was such a raw prospect when he was drafted, why not make him the qb3, just focus on learning his craft rather than being 1 snap away from being thrown into a game. I guess it doesnt matter at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it is relevant to Kelly being a low draft pick...

The broncos have had zero qualm starting lower draft picks or free agents ahead of high draft picks over the past 7 years.

Denver has started udfa Chris Harris over 1st rounder Bradley Roby for robys entire career

Shane Ray (1st round) has shared time with and sat behind udfa Shaq barrett

Paxton Lynch (1st Rd) has been leapfrogged 3x by 7th round selections Trevor siemian and now Chad kelly

Denver started udfa cj Anderson at rb over 4th rounder devontae Booker every year until this one

Cody Latimer (2nd round) sat behind udfa Bennie Fowler on the depth chart

As for the assertion that elway does not release players still on their rookie deal, that's off too. Tavares king, Philip Blake, Blake schlueter off the top of my head never made it out of their rookie deal. 

 

The point is, Denver has a strong recent history of playing low draft picks who earn time which is why that comment made so little sense to me. Combine this with the fact that Vance joseph called Kelly his favorite qb of the draft, the fact that Kelly has come on so strong in this his first true camp despite suffering knee and wrist injuries that held him out for a year, keenums short deal, the lack of legit competition behind keenum, and it could bode well for swag.

 

 

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

yeah I'm not advocating for Elway to have cut Lynch after year 1. guess I figure he was such a raw prospect when he was drafted, why not make him the qb3, just focus on learning his craft rather than being 1 snap away from being thrown into a game. I guess it doesnt matter at this point. 

That's what happened.  Lynch was never intended to be the #2 guy up until this year.  His rookie year, they brought in Sanchez who flamed out, so Lynch became the #2 by default.  Last year, they signed former hot-shot FA QB, Brock Osweiler to handle things if something happened to Siemian.  That didn't work out either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This unwarranted protection of high draft picks despite enough time to build a NFL resume of failing to live up to being able to perform at even reserve levels has got to stop.  I don’t see how Joseph can think he has any credibility when he can’t plainly explain that Kelly has outplayed Lynch by a wide margin and that Lynch is showing absolutely no ability to justify a roster spot.  Even casual football fans can see what a fool he sounds like, and I can only think that he is protecting Elway’s ego in statements like those he makes in the link above.

 

Hey John (and Vance), sure - you pissed away a 1st rounder, but you’ll look a lot smarter by owning it and then putting a lot more weight on the fact that you may have stolen at least a sound backup QB and potentially a future starter in the Mr. Irrelevant spot.  That goes similarly to owning the wasted pick on Booker while simultaneously dropping his practice and playing time while promoting Henderson and Lindsay instead of letting them languish at the end of the bench.  Trust me, you’re just making yourself look stupid to even average fans.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

This unwarranted protection of high draft picks despite enough time to build a NFL resume of failing to live up to being able to perform at even reserve levels has got to stop.  I don’t see how Joseph can think he has any credibility when he can’t plainly explain that Kelly has outplayed Lynch by a wide margin and that Lynch is showing absolutely no ability to justify a roster spot.  Even casual football fans can see what a fool he sounds like, and I can only think that he is protecting Elway’s ego in statements like those he makes in the link above.

 

Hey John (and Vance), sure - you pissed away a 1st rounder, but you’ll look a lot smarter by owning it and then putting a lot more weight on the fact that you may have stolen at least a sound backup QB and potentially a future starter in the Mr. Irrelevant spot.  That goes similarly to owning the wasted pick on Booker while simultaneously dropping his practice and playing time while promoting Henderson and Lindsay instead of letting them languish at the end of the bench.  Trust me, you’re just making yourself look stupid to even average fans.

agreed.

careful, that kind of talk might make "little to no sense" to some

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have named swag qb of the next decade. Clear draft bias 

 

Lindsay looked good running with the 1s last night. Must be a short bench if that's the end

 

But i would be surprised if Lynch is on the roster in 2 weeks. 

Edited by Buffaloes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.