What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Chad ‘Swag’ Kelly, Colts (1 Viewer)

Could make for some fun costume party shtick with Halloween coming up.  Bronco jersey/helmet, and you just sit on the couch babbling incoherently at whoever's next to you.

*Next-level: Walk into random strangers' parties and do this
And get bonked on the back of the head with a vacuum cleaner tube. Or worse.

I'll hold until I see what happens with him. Bummer as I liked his outlook in Denver specifically. I'll likely be dumping him and looking to plan B for a long term replacement plan. 

Kelly, 24, was arrested early Tuesday on first-degree criminal trespass after a couple reported he came into their house uninvited, according to a "determination of probable cause'' affidavit filed in Arapahoe County Court.

According to the affidavit, the man and woman told police that a stranger came into their Englewood, Colorado, home after 1 a.m. The intruder sat down on the couch next to the woman, who was holding the couple's young child, and was "mumbling incoherently," according to the records.

The man yelled at the intruder to get out and hit him in the back with a vacuum cleaner tube. Police surveillance video showed a man wearing dark pants, a white long-sleeved shirt with a brown vest and a red scarf around his neck entering the front door.

Kelly had been at a team Halloween party hosted by linebacker Von Miller. Several players contacted in the past two days told ESPN and NFL Network that they were angry that Kelly was "acting up'' at that party and at one point was asked to leave the gathering just before he was arrested.

Police said they found Kelly sitting inside a black SUV parked about a block from the couple's home after the man chased Kelly out of the home. Kelly matched the couple's description, and the man later identified him as the person who came into the house, according to court documents.

After his arrest, Kelly posted a $2,500 bond and was released later Tuesday.

Several people with the team have said in the last two days that Elway was greatly angered by Kelly's arrest because the Broncos had selected Kelly in the 2017 draft despite Kelly's off-the-field troubles during and just after he completed his collegiate career.
Yo...

YOOOOOO...

How would you feel if at 1 am, you're in the kitchen and your significant other is sitting on the couch and suddenly some 6'5 dude sits on your couch babbling like a moron?

Perhaps, I may have termed incorrectly on Kelly but I remember hearing about his profile from numerous NFL experts, saying that his talent was graded as 1st round. But he was held by his numerous negative off-field actions as well as his hot-head personality.  Before Elway taking a chance on him at the final pick of 2017 draft, he took Jim Kelly's words on his nephew. I guess Broncos couldn't tolerance another negative publicity this time.
He was certainly graded higher than he was eventually picked - part of the problem is that he tore his ACL at the end of his senior season.  There were rumblings that he could've been a late first round pick but who knows how accurate that is.  He participated in the Senior Bowl week but didn't play, obviously, due to the injury.  He was mysteriously uninvited from the Combine, and injured his wrist during the Ole Miss pro day.  He probably would've been at least a mid-round pick, despite the off-field concerns, if not for the injuries.  Mayock called him a 1st or 2nd round talent on draft day:

"So I've been trying to say that if you take out the medical and the character, he's a first- or second-round quarterback all day long," NFL Draft analyst Mike Mayock said after Denver's selection of Kelly. "If you take his two tapes against Alabama, and put them up against Deshaun Watson's, they're every bit as good."

Last edited by a moderator:
Million dollar arm, ten cent head.
On the local talk radio... (allegedly)

Dude was on something, not booze, and actin his typical swag, to the point that the hired broncos security tried to shut him down and get him home.  He (again allegedly) pushed his way out and somehow made his way to this poor family's apartment.  Dressed as the toy story cowboy the story goes.

Sad.  And the donkeys are on the edge.

I blame Von Miller. Denver needs a REAL leader again.

Right now they are a ship spinning between Scylla and Charybdis

This is just a sad and crazy story. No doubt Chad only has himself to blame for really poor decisions, but what kind of teammate sees one of their QBs f'ed up at a party and just kicks him out onto the street? How about call the dude an Uber or help get the guy home or to the ER? I'm sure there is a lot more to the story, but it struck me as odd that it seemed like no one would help him out.

31 teams passed on drafting him.  Who exactly is going to pick him up?
The rumor mill is sayint that Buffalo may give him a shot for the Jim Kelly connection, plus with Josh Allen on the shelf for awhile and Nathan Peterman not even being an adequate long term backup.

I cut him in all my dynasty leagues and no one has yet to pick him off waivers, that would probably change if Buffalo takes a flyer, but if so I won't burn a roster space again unless it is a really deep league or I am completely rebuilding.

You guys can't be...oh wait, you can. 

When I said that, it was a joke. After Hernandez? No way. 
It's the obligatory suggestion for anyone. However, NE needs someone to develop, and they have a very good history of mentoring guys who have troubled pasts

I think Buffalo isn't a terribly unreasonable suggestion. 

Would be fun if the Raiders or Chargers picked him up and he went on to dominate the division for years, adding to the numerous QB gaffes in Elways history 

Steve Tasker said:
"So I've been trying to say that if you take out the medical and the character, he's a first- or second-round quarterback all day long," NFL Draft analyst Mike Mayock said after Denver's selection of Kelly. "If you take his two tapes against Alabama, and put them up against Deshaun Watson's, they're every bit as good."
Both games vs. Alabama is what opened my eyes on Kelly's talent... He does remind me Jeff George except George had lousy personality and work ethic. I knew Kelly would find a taker in NFL if he was just given a chance but ultimately, his off-field transgressions are too difficult to ignore. 

That all turned around quick. From being on the verge of starting to being a FA in the blink of an eye

ericttspikes said:
This is just a sad and crazy story. No doubt Chad only has himself to blame for really poor decisions, but what kind of teammate sees one of their QBs f'ed up at a party and just kicks him out onto the street? How about call the dude an Uber or help get the guy home or to the ER? I'm sure there is a lot more to the story, but it struck me as odd that it seemed like no one would help him out.
"Hey Bo.....how many of your teammates came to your birthday party...?

rockaction said:
Did this guy really threaten to shoot people with guns in Buffalo? 
Somewhat, yes, back in 2014.

He got kicked out of a bar with his friend after 3 AM - 4 AM is last call here so nothing unusual there - and resisted leaving, punching a bouncer.  His friend had been kicked out previously and kicked out again while trying to re-enter the bar.  After Kelly got tossed, he claimed, quote, "I'm going to go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place."  The bar staff called the police, and the cops pulled over a truck nearby where he was a passenger.  He resisted arrest and apparently took a swing at an officer before they got him cuffed.  The bar in question is right at the edge of a very nightclubby district so the area is always crawling with cops and drunks that time of night.

He ended up getting community service for it.  The real weird part about it is that he had just signed with Ole Miss after resurrecting his college career in JuCo.  He had literally signed with Ole Miss a week prior to this incident.

SBNation article

squistion said:
The rumor mill is sayint that Buffalo may give him a shot for the Jim Kelly connection, plus with Josh Allen on the shelf for awhile and Nathan Peterman not even being an adequate long term backup.

I cut him in all my dynasty leagues and no one has yet to pick him off waivers, that would probably change if Buffalo takes a flyer, but if so I won't burn a roster space again unless it is a really deep league or I am completely rebuilding.
The Bills rumor mill is always abuzz whenever something happens to him.  There is always a weird infatuation among fans about local products, and Jim Kelly is basically a saint / folk hero to Bills fans.  Combine those two with the raw talent that Chad Kelly has and it makes sense.  Hell, there were multiple threads on the Bills subreddit within minutes of Kelly getting released.

ericttspikes said:
A) The guy sounds like a total ##### so I am not sure how many of his team mates really give a $$$$ about him

B) He also has a history of being really aggressive and confrontational (hitting police officers, battling with security hired to protect him) so I don't blame any team mate for wanting him gone

A) The guy sounds like a total ##### so I am not sure how many of his team mates really give a $$$$ about him

B) He also has a history of being really aggressive and confrontational (hitting policie officers, battling with security hired to protect him) so I don't blame any team mate for wanting him gone
Not only that but he's 24yo and wants to be given a shot at the most important position on the team. If he needs teammates to babysit him at this point it's probably time to cut bait. He's not at Last Chance U anymore, he's supposed to be a professional. Or just an adult.

He also doesn't have a track record of listening to authority as he got kicked out of Clemson after he through a fit at the coaching staff during a spring game in April. Most backup QB's around the league might settle down if their host was an all-pro that told him to pull himself together.... but I'm not so sure Kelly would(especially when he's loaded on something).

Normally I enjoy reveling in the draft day gaffes of elway but meh, it was a late 7th rounder on a guy with a true NFL arm. To me that's exactly what you use a 7th rounder on.... a complete lottery ticket. It just looks worse because elway gave Keenum all that money elway wanted to give Osweiler. Any chance elway just goes ahead and starts wearing jump suits and granny glasses? As a GM, he's pretty much gone full Al Davis at this point. The donkeys are 17-22 over the past three years yet people somehow seem convinced they are one player away from a SB contender. 

B) He also has a history of being really aggressive and confrontational (hitting police officers, battling with security hired to protect him) so I don't blame any team mate for wanting him gone
That is the part of the story I don't know about. If his teammates didn't even like him he was never going to start for the Broncos anyway. Usually teammates have each others backs. 

That is the part of the story I don't know about. If his teammates didn't even like him he was never going to start for the Broncos anyway. Usually teammates have each others backs. 
well by all accounts he was next man up....he came in for the kneel down....not Hogan....not even sure how much Hogan has been active...and living in CO, I get a sense that Kelly really may have been one bad half at KC away from being given a shot....(although I did hear one comment that it may have been Hogan, but that doesn't seem right)....

Also apparently he was kicked off his HS team, college team and now NFL team. 10 cent head might be an overvaluation. 
Yeah, I'd take a few of those pennies back. Dude's NFL talent but a complete moron. Won't be the last to squander his talents by being stupid.

Bronco Billy said:
Droppin the Greek mythology on the Shark Pool.  Nice
Well I tried pointing out that one of my favorite wide receivers had made an egregious drop of an excellent pass, but noone blinked, so I realized I had to up my game.

On the local talk radio... (allegedly)

Dude was on something, not booze, and actin his typical swag, to the point that the hired broncos security tried to shut him down and get him home.  He (again allegedly) pushed his way out and somehow made his way to this poor family's apartment.  Dressed as the toy story cowboy the story goes.

Sad.  And the donkeys are on the edge.
Always sounded like more than alcohol to me. Hope he gets the help he needs.

According to the discussion on Denver Sports talk the past few days, it's unknown what he was on.  They didn't take his BAC when taken into custody for some reason.  Was it alcohol or drugs?  I guess we might not find out.

Users who are viewing this thread