What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Tyler Higbee, LAR (1 Viewer)

pghrob

Hail to the Chief
Just drafted him at 3.10 in 12 team ppr rookie draft. The converted WR from Western Kentucky is a bit of a project on the newly made over Rams offense.  

He seems like a good boom prospect who could blossom into a to a top 10 fantasy starter in ppr leagues.  

He does first need to clear a legal hurdle for 2nd degree felony assault  (or something similar) that occurred just a couple of weeks prior to the draft.

At the cost of 3.10, I am more than glad to roll the dice and give him a shot. Only Lance Kendricks is in front of him.

Higbee's natural receiving skills and size/speed combo makes him a good weapon against shorter and slower linebackers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest concerns are that he is a one dimensional player similar to Graham the other being he's a colossal idiot.

the field is littered with the bodies of converted-WR-to-TE prospects over the years. They can always catch but rarely can they block or grasp the subtleties of being in-line, H-back or whatever. They're athletic as heck but they're playing behind for the position. In this instance, I'm more likely to buy Kendricks than Higbee because of this. 

FUBAR said:
:stalker:  

reminds me somewhat of Jared Cook.
Cook can run fast and jump high, but he has athletic limitations and is kind of stiff, not that fluid. Hands aren't that great, not very competitive in the air, doesn't always do instinctive things like work back to ball, and is straightlinish with the ball in his hands.

Higbee is a former WR who is much more fluid, plays the ball in the air better and has better hands.

He needs to put his legal issues behind him and missed time with injury. There are questions about the Rams offense, how targets will be divided out of an offense that emphasizes the run. Rookie TEs rarely did anything, so he is a dynasty play. Hopefully Goff plays well and transitions to an NFL style offense, if so, that will pay off more in 2017 and beyond.

I do think Higbee is talented, and could become a key target for Goff long term. IMO he is the best pure, natural receiving talent at the TE position in the class, and based purely on that criteria, he could have eventual top 10 overall-type upside.

Cook can run fast and jump high, but he has athletic limitations and is kind of stiff, not that fluid. Hands aren't that great, not very competitive in the air, doesn't always do instinctive things like work back to ball, and is straightlinish with the ball in his hands.

Higbee is a former WR who is much more fluid, plays the ball in the air better and has better hands.

He needs to put his legal issues behind him and missed time with injury. There are questions about the Rams offense, how targets will be divided out of an offense that emphasizes the run. Rookie TEs rarely did anything, so he is a dynasty play. Hopefully Goff plays well and transitions to an NFL style offense, if so, that will pay off more in 2017 and beyond.

I do think Higbee is talented, and could become a key target for Goff long term. IMO he is the best pure, natural receiving talent at the TE position in the class, and based purely on that criteria, he could have eventual top 10 overall-type upside.
Overview

Most thought coach Gamecocks Steve Spurrier was simply hyping a recruit when he compared a freshman wide receiver to some of the best he has ever coach, calling him "another Calvin Johnson." However, three years later and coming off a dazzling performance at the NFL Combine, Cook as backed up the lofty praise.

It is very rare to see a big, physical athlete with the explosive quickness and outstanding athleticism that Cook displays. In Indianapolis, he finished first among the tight ends in the 40-yard dash (4.49), vertical jump (41 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches) before injuring his quadriceps during his second 40-yard run.

Cook's 41-inch vertical leap earned 100 pairs of cleats for his old high school, North Gwinnett. Under Armour Inc. set up a deal at the combine where it will buy 100 new cleats for the high school alma mater of anyone who runs a 4.35 or better in the 40, posts a 41-inch vertical or higher or does the 20-yard shuttle in 3.85 seconds or faster. Cook's performance left draft analysts and scouts buzzing.

While Cook was highly recruited in football coming out of North Gwinnett High School, he was also a much-sought after basketball prospect. The first-team All-Conference, All-State and Super 11 Team selection by The Atlanta Journal Constitution was rated the 24th-best player in the state of Georgia and the 40th-best wide receiver in the country by Rivals.com as a senior. He also received Gwinnett Daily Super VI team accolades.

That year, Cook caught 32 passes for 800 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior. He also competed as a free safety for head coach Kyle Richardson. He added All-Conference honors while also receiving All-State recognition as one of Georgia's top basketball players.

"Jared Cook is a great football player and an outstanding young person. Coach Spurrier and his staff got a real steal out of the state of Georgia. He is definitely going to be a great player for South Carolina," Gwinnett coach Richardson said when Cook signed with SC.

Performing as receiver on the scout team during his first year at South Carolina, the lanky 220-pounder redshirted in 2005. He appeared in 11 games in 2006, starting vs. Wofford at tight end, but also saw action at flanker and split end, finishing with 113 yards and one touchdown on six receptions (18.8 avg).

The following season, he started three times while sharing tight end duties with Andy Boyd. Having bulked up to 235 pounds, Cook was the sensation of fall camp, clocking a scorching 4.37 in the 40-yard dash. He was prepared for the punishment going over the middle, having also increased his bench press by more than 40 pounds. He finished third on the team with 30 receptions for 421 yards (14.0 avg) and three touchdowns.

The 2008 campaign turned into Cook's coming out party. The Mackey Award semifinalist and All-Southeastern Conference first-team selection started 11 contests at tight end. The junior ranked second on the team with 37 receptions for 573 yards (15.5 avg) and three touchdowns, ranking 12 in the league with an average of 44.08 receiving yards per game.

After the season, Cook decided to forgo his senior season and applied for the 2009 NFL Draft. It will be a busy Cook family household on draft weekend, as his older brother, Mississippi fullback Jason Cook, is also expected to hear his name called.
Jared Cook could be the answer to the Jaguars' receiving problems. A little bit undersized for a tight end, Cook makes up for it with great speed and athleticism. Runs routes very well and has strong hands. Cook has played both receiver and tight end in college, and often played in the slot at South Carolina. Creates match-up problems, as linebackers and safeties really struggle to cover him. Once the ball is in his hands, Cook runs with aggressiveness and power. Known as a guy with great work ethic and character.
Analysis

Positives: Rare athlete. Reportedly ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash and posted a 39.5-inch vertical leap in 2007. Long, lanky build capable of handling additional mass without a significant loss of quickness. Good burst off the line of scrimmage to challenge the seam and can throttle down, sink his hips and create separation against even athletic defenders. Flashes natural hands for the reception. Can snatch passes outside of his frame due to his long arms and big hands. Good elusiveness after the catch and can accelerate past defenders for long gains. Good burst off the snap to get to the second level. Has the lateral agility to mirror and effectively block defenders in space.
obviously Cook has fallen short of the praise in his draft report but the hype was similar as a prospect taken a little later than the elite should be taken.

Cook never had the legal problems, and I actually agree that Higbee could be a top 10, could easily be the best of this class.  But I thought the same thing of Cook.

I'm guessing his blocking is sub-par (since he is the best receiver but not the best/first TE in the draft)? If so, how much do you think this will hurt him on a run based team? 

I'm just basing it on seeing them both play (albeit only Cook in the NFL).
yeah, Cook hasn't lived up to his potential.  As a Titans fan I had huge hopes for Cook, loved the pick at the time and was too optimistic. 

They run a lot of two TE sets, Kendricks (or Harkey) could be the in-line blocker in those cases. Britt is in the last year of his contract, as well as Quick, Austin occupies a different niche in the receptions ecosystem. Cooper will play the slot, but Higbee has a much bigger body and could become a red zone weapon, where Goff had a career 56/1 TD/INT ratio in the red zone ('13-'15).

yeah, Cook hasn't lived up to his potential.  As a Titans fan I had huge hopes for Cook, loved the pick at the time and was too optimistic. 
I was higher on him, too. I followed him more closely once he came to the Rams (he did break the franchise record for TE receiving yards, but that speaks more to an organizational historical trend where they haven't seemed to prioritize the position, or made bad decisions). It was at that time when the flaws became more obvious to me.

That said, he could conceivably do really good despite his limitations. They have TE Rodgers, too, not sure what the split will look like, but just being able to run in a straight line fast and jump high could be a devastating seam weapon down the middle with Rodgers at QB, and the back seven distracted by Nelson and Cobb.  

Sorry, don't have a link, but it was reported LA assigned Goff and Higbee as roommates, and at night they quiz each other on the playbook. That can't hurt with things like chemistry and being on the same page on the field. I do think if he can put his legal and health issues behind him, when things shake out, he will be one of the top 2-3 targets for Goff.  

Sorry, don't have a link, but it was reported LA assigned Goff and Higbee as roommates, and at night they quiz each other on the playbook. That can't hurt with things like chemistry and being on the same page on the field. I do think if he can put his legal and health issues behind him, when things shake out, he will be one of the top 2-3 targets for Goff.  
Here ya go:

https://twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/760693965565915136

I never assume everybody has seen everything, worth a look for those that haven't already. Very fluid for a big man (6'6"-6'7", 250 lbs), some burst, can change directions in the open field, the feet, agility and body control of a much smaller player, great hands and concentration. Lot to like.    

Higbee highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcQeMGsOQM

Sports Illustrated's Greg Bedard reports Rams fourth-round TE Tyler Higbee is having a "great" training camp.
Bedard went as far to attach a Travis Kelce comparison to Higbee, noting the rookie's "swagger, playing style, and the defense wanting to punch him in the face." Kelce plays with a noticeable edge, and Higbee seems to be in the same mold. Higbee (6'6/249) would have come off the board before the fourth round if not for some serious off-field concerns. In a Rams offense devoid of playmaking pass catchers, Higbee has a chance to play a ton of snaps right out of the gate. But it's worth noting, rookie tight ends face one of the steepest learning curves in the sport. Higbee is someone to target in Dynasty with an eye toward 2017.

Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

Good to see Duke being mentioned. Looks likes he's having some good moments just need to get consistent.

What's the price tag on this guy? You owners out there, what would you part ways with him for?

really thought I was going to be able to get him in my rookie draft ... Didn't happen.

What's the price tag on this guy? You owners out there, what would you part ways with him for?

really thought I was going to be able to get him in my rookie draft ... Didn't happen.
I think that might depend on how loaded their team is at TE. I got him awhile back in round 3 of our rookie draft, but I really need a quality TE. I traded for Fleener, but everyone else is a gamble (Austin Hooper, Cam Brate). I'd probably be looking for a decent vet WR or RB personally, but that's probably took much for most to pay. 

At this point his value is still speculative but of course on the rise. I drafted him at 3.10 in 12 team ppr back in early June before training camp and was thrilled then.   If the draft were today after all the Baby Gronk hype and what he has flashed, I would think late first round in this crop of rookies.

As far as a trade I would take a first rounder for next year's class (which would be ridiculously foolish of anyone to offer). Maybe a young but  proven wr2 such as Emmanuel Sanders who is not too young but not too old and just a steady guy. But then I really don't need a guy like that. I need a young top 5 at TE, which Higbee seems to show potential to be.  So I am holding unless I get a rich offer.

At this point his value is still speculative but of course on the rise. I drafted him at 3.10 in 12 team ppr back in early June before training camp and was thrilled then.   If the draft were today after all the Baby Gronk hype and what he has flashed, I would think late first round in this crop of rookies.

As far as a trade I would take a first rounder for next year's class (which would be ridiculously foolish of anyone to offer). Maybe a young but  proven wr2 such as Emmanuel Sanders who is not too young but not too old and just a steady guy. But then I really don't need a guy like that. I need a young top 5 at TE, which Higbee seems to show potential to be.  So I am holding unless I get a rich offer.
Your shooting for the stars thinking those offers will roll in.

If I were looking to acquire him, I would sit back and wait. Historically, rookie Tight Ends don't come out of the gate hot. Higbee's value is inflated right now, but come Week 6, if Higbee follows the historical blueprint on rookie tight ends, you might get him at a discount. 

If I were looking to acquire him, I would sit back and wait. Historically, rookie Tight Ends don't come out of the gate hot. Higbee's value is inflated right now, but come Week 6, if Higbee follows the historical blueprint on rookie tight ends, you might get him at a discount. 
This is a true statement but it seems that Higbee is in a totally different situation than some of the TEs of years past. It's still early but the coaches putting him and the QB together so they can bond is HUGE IMHO. Obviously the talent is there I will be closely watching over the next two weeks before my draft and I won't hesitate to grab him at the end of the 1st in my Dynasty.

two cents,

Tex

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted
 Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson  Aug 9
4. Hype for TE Tyler Higbee is legit. He's going to be a really nice 4th round get. He'll do it all - block/catch/flex out, etc. #Rams

Your shooting for the stars thinking those offers will roll in.
Nope. I don't think those offers will roll in. I am a happy holder. As I wrote, someone would have to be foolish to give me what I would want to part with him as I see him quickly developing into a top 5 TE. So based on my valuation, I must be of the mindset that he is not available - which is fine by me. After all, I am a happy holder.

Nope. I don't think those offers will roll in. I am a happy holder. As I wrote, someone would have to be foolish to give me what I would want to part with him as I see him quickly developing into a top 5 TE. So based on my valuation, I must be of the mindset that he is not available - which is fine by me. After all, I am a happy holder.
There could be at least 5 TEs more talented then Higbee coming out next year. You'll have your pick.

Tex

Even if he has the skills to produce top numbers, I wouldn't bet he has a big rookie year.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160811/can-la-rams-rookie-te-tyler-higbee-make-an-immediate-difference

... let’s tether our expectations to what we know about rookie tight ends. Turns out, given recent history, those expectations are likely too high.

Over the past 20 seasons, 116 tight ends have tallied at least 100 receiving yards in their debut year, (see chart) according to Pro Football Reference. But just one managed to surpass 700 yards — Jeremy Shockey, who reeled in 74 catches and 894 yards for the Giants in 2002. Only two others — Cam Cleeland of the Saints, and John Carlson of the Seahawks — even cracked the 600-yard mark.

In the red zone, rookie tight ends have been slightly more successful, but not by much. Of the 89 who scored as rookies, 11 finished the season with at least five touchdowns — a total that would have tied for the Rams’ team lead last season. But only two, Patriots’ All-Pro Rob Gronkowski and former Lions tight end Joe Fauria (who did it on 13 catches), have scored more than six.

The success rate is even lower for tight ends drafted as late as Higbee. Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez and undrafted free agents Tim Wright (Buccaneers) and Will Tye (Giants) are the only players in NFL history selected in the fourth-round or later who caught 40 or more passes as rookies. Last season, 23 tight ends had that many receptions.

“It’s such a hard position to learn,” explains Lance Kendricks, the tight end ahead of Higbee on the depth chart. “You have to know the run game, the pass game, and you have to know about protections, and then, on top of that, you have to get stronger to block bigger guys, while staying fast enough to run routes. There’s a lot going on.”

A former two-star receiver recruit, Higbee was converted to tight end after his redshirt freshman season at Western Kentucky. In all, he played just 20 games at the position, as he battled injuries during his three seasons

Tight ends are so unpredictable. Who are the elite Gronk, Graham, Gates, Gonz, ??? How many TE have a solid stretch of years being a top 5 in fantasy? Where did those big 4 come from: Gates a UDFA, Gronk a 2nd, Graham a 3rd and Gonz went 13th overall. 

My point is only that to knock a TE because of draft position or worry about next years class is too much. There's a relatively small chance that Higbee (or any TE) hits. If it seems like he is producing on the field then that's all we should worry about. Tight ends are a slow burn and step one is just to see if they can even play. Don't even worry about the other stuff yet. 

Define "discount."

I bought Higbee at 2.11 back in early May (it was him or Keith Marshall), and there's no way I'm selling him for a 2017 2nd rounder (or less) no matter how stats shake out the early part of 2016 - and I suspect you feel the same way.

He's a bonafide mismatch.

Four receptions in the first half.

Pacing for 128 receptions in 2016 (I kid).

He does already look like Goff's most reliable receiving weapon, with mismatch potential. 

Tight ends are so unpredictable. Who are the elite Gronk, Graham, Gates, Gonz, ??? How many TE have a solid stretch of years being a top 5 in fantasy? Where did those big 4 come from: Gates a UDFA, Gronk a 2nd, Graham a 3rd and Gonz went 13th overall. 

My point is only that to knock a TE because of draft position or worry about next years class is too much. There's a relatively small chance that Higbee (or any TE) hits. If it seems like he is producing on the field then that's all we should worry about. Tight ends are a slow burn and step one is just to see if they can even play. Don't even worry about the other stuff yet. 
Higbee starts with an H and not a G. Clearly will not be in that elite category. 

Rams TE Tyler Higbee caught 5-of-6 targets for 49 yards in Saturday's preseason opener.
Higbee generated consistent offseason hype after tumbling to day three of the draft because of character concerns, and set about moving the chains on Saturday. Higbee looks a bit like Travis Kelce on the field, but tight end is an infamously difficult position for rookies, especially in an offense as inside-the-box as the Rams'. Keep Higbee with gusto in Dynasty leagues, but he's probably not worth the hassle in re-draft.

Aug 13 - 11:18 PM

I got Higbee at #37 overall yesterday in our rookie draft. I didn't know much about him, didn't plan to draft a TE, but thought he was best available at that point. Might have to play him week 9 when Gronk and Reed are both on bye ...

I got Higbee at #37 overall yesterday in our rookie draft. I didn't know much about him, didn't plan to draft a TE, but thought he was best available at that point. Might have to play him week 9 when Gronk and Reed are both on bye ...
Keep us posted!!!

What are thoughts on him for week 1?  FBG projections have Kendricks getting more.  Any Rams homers watching this that have some insight?  (Confession - I am a Gronk/Higbee owner looking to see if I should stick with Higbee through the storm or go for someone else that may have a higher floor.)

Users who are viewing this thread