What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Your First Sports Memory? (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
Deadspin has a post up asking this question and it got me thinking...

For me, it's Pete Rose diving head first into first base in the 1972 World Series vs the As.

I don't actually remember seeing live reports covering the Munich Olympics killings, but I remember what I was doing that day.

Not first... but the day Pele retired in '77 was the first with a big impact. That was the day I quit playing competitive soccer.

Mets winning it in '86.  I was 3.  I liked their colors.  Been a fan ever since. 

My earliest memory (and earliest sports memory) was watching the Gophers play hockey.  Don't remember who they played.  Just was mesmerized by the M on the jerseys and how they were absolutely sticking it to whomever they were playing.

The next day I was out on the ice pretending to do the same against invisible opponents.

Veterans Stadium early 70's..   "Downtown" Ollie Brown hits walkoff HR for Phils..    pandemonium!

1987 World Series: Cardinals and Twins

Back then TV for our family was 3 channels.  Remember sitting on the floor watching this guy do a flip as he took the field.  Don't remember much about the games, but Ozzie's back flip is my first sports memory. 

I think my first sports memory was playing rather than watching - I was ~5 and was about to play organized soccer for the first time.  Coach told us we had to wear "shin guards," and I didn't know what a "shin" was, so I thought he said, "chin guard," and was really upset to have to wear something on my face to protect my chin. 

My first viewing sports memory was probably the 1986 World Cup in Mexico City - I taped every game and watched them for years.  If I see clips now, I still recall what the announcers are going to say.

I remember my first game at Sportsman's Park - Cards whipped the Cubs. Nice box seat with my Mom Dad and Grandmother - I remember my Dad pointing out to watch Stan Musial. Still have the pennant I got at that game.

1972 World Series. A's vs. Reds. Game 3. 1-0. My dad was a big Reds fan and I despised the A's so I was rooting pretty loudly for the Reds. 

My first sports memory is from when I was 6. Had a 75 yard TD run. We didn't kick extra points in mighty mite pop warner, so nobody even ran down the field. The ref met me at around the 20 where I tossed him the ball back.

I remember watching parts of the 81 World Series. My dad HATES Tommy Lasorda.

Then that winter I saw The Catch and have been a 49ers fan ever since.

It would have to be a Mike Tyson fight probably around Spinks.. I remember pestering my parents to let me stay up and watch the 30 second fights.  I also remember being devastated when he lost Buster Douglas.  

I think asking my dad why it was such a big deal when Bo Kimble shot his first free throw of the game against Michigan.

Watching the Steelers on a little TV at my Dad's office on Sunday afternoons.  Not a Steeler fan, just remember Bradshaw/Lipps/Stallworth/etc. and the uniforms/helmets.

I was only like 5 so I don't remember a lot of details but do remember the excitement around the Jets and Mets in 69. My first vivid memories were of the early 70's Dolphins. Everyone loved Csonka, and how could you not, but I was a big Jim Kiick fan. First jersey I ever owned.

It's funny how timelines get disjointed but I think it was running across the field in Michigan stadium.  We went up on a weekend in the spring and the stadium was open, we walked around the bleachers for a bit and then ran end zone to end zone.  That was around 1982 I think.  

Earliest I can pinpoint is the tigers winning like 50 games in a row in 1984.

1975 World Series,  Carlton Fisk HR sneaking just inside the foul pole in left as he waved and motioned and directed that baseball fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Bird stealing the ball in that playoff game against the Pistons...I had broken both forearm bones the night before and the family and I (age 7) were holed up in my hospital room.  Parents were huge Celtics fans, so they went nuts and I fell in love with basketball.  

facook said:
I remember watching parts of the 81 World Series. My dad HATES Tommy Lasorda.

Then that winter I saw The Catch and have been a 49ers fan ever since.
Fletch Jr?

Mine is either Gibson's walkoff or Norwood wide right. I'm not sure if I actually watched Gibson's dinger.

I remember the early years of the big red machine and pretended to be a lot of their players.  The first actual game I recall was ND ending the 88-game winning streak.  

USSR getting 3 chances to beat the US in basketball at the '72 Olympics.

IIRC, that was also the same year I started duckpin bowling and my team finished 2nd.  I originally wasn't going to mention it, but since Leroy's post above mine referred to bowling as a sport, I guess it counts after all. 

Non-specific: Some awful Colts games on TV visiting my dad in baltimore, with me using whatever random toys we had around as footballs, passing to myself in the den.

Specific: Eddie Murray helping a comeback at Memorial Stadium with a late inning 3 run homer.  ED-DIE! ED-DIE!  Probably around '79 or so (I'd be six)

IIRC, that was also the same year I started duckpin bowling and my team finished 2nd.  I originally wasn't going to mention it, but since Leroy's post above mine referred to bowling as a sport, I guess it counts after all. 
Mister CIA mentioned bowling even before me.

I define as a sport anything Comcast lists with a green background in their program guide.

Earliest snap-shot is Os-Dodgers in the '66 World Series. I can still hear, clear as day, my dad telling a friend "he beat Koufax". This isn't one of those retro-memories where "I must have been there so let me fill in the blanks"; I distinctly remember that. I had no context though, as I was busy being four years old.

I think the earliest where I had a clue was the '69 WS, but I don't recall an individual moment. Seems like I remember, in 1970, our Phys Ed teacher listening to the WS on transistor radio during class and announcing that Dave McNally hit a grand slam - maybe that's my first "moment" I can still recall.

Watching my dad hit a huge home run at our neighborhood picnic when I was little. 

I never thought of him as that much of an athlete later as I grew up, but at that age he seemed like Babe Ruth.  I remember everyone in the field saying to back up when he got up and he still hit it over their heads. 

1968 or 1969. Some guy names Sonny Jurgesen throwing the ball for some team with arrows on their helmets. First game I remember watching.

Fielding grounders before a T-ball game.  My coach yelling "You've got to get LOWWWW!"  Took one off the forehead and had to get 6 stitches.  Thanks coach.

Chargers Dolphins game early 80s. Chargers were up 35 to 0 and Miami came back but lost it in the end. There was an awesome hook and ladder play I can still see in my head. 

Rockets vs Celtics, 1983/84 finals, dad loved Bird and some rockets fan in the audience had a bird in a hoop type of sign.  

Users who are viewing this thread