What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pokemon Go (1 Viewer)

Pokemon Go and Racism

I'm 99% confident that this is indeed, not sarcasm/parody.
It isn't, from the article:

Pokémon Go Could Be A Death Sentence For A Black Man

[...]

I spent less than 20 minutes outside. Five of those minutes were spent enjoying the game. One of those minutes I spent trying to look as pleasant and nonthreatening as possible as I walked past a somewhat visibly disturbed white woman on her way to the bus stop. I spent the other 14 minutes being distracted from the game by thoughts of the countless Black Men who have had the police called on them because they looked “suspicious” or wondering what a second amendment exercising individual might do if I walked past their window a 3rd or 4th time in search of a Jigglypuff.

When my brain started combining the complexity of being Black in America with the real world proposal of wandering and exploration that is designed into the gamplay of Pokémon Go, there was only one conclusion. I might die if I keep playing.

The breakdown is simple:

• There is a statistically disproportionate chance that someone could call the police to investigate me for walking around in circles in the complex.
  • There is a statistically disproportionate chance that I would be approached by law enforcement with fear or aggression, even when no laws have been broken.
  • There is a statistically disproportionate chance that I will be shot while reaching for my identification that I always keep in my back right pocket.
  • There is a statistically disproportionate chance that more shots will be fired and I will be dead before any medical assistance is available.
The premise of Pokémon Gp asks me to put my life in danger if I choose to play it as it is intended and with enthusiasm. Let’s just go ahead and add Pokémon Go to the extremely long list of things white people can do without fear of being killed, while Black people have to realistically be wary.

Was in line at a Mexican restaurant yesterday and a totally normal looking adult said "dude there is a Charizard here" to his also normal looking friends behind me in line :lol:

Was in line at a Mexican restaurant yesterday and a totally normal looking adult said "dude there is a Charizard here" to his also normal looking friends behind me in line :lol:
Is that a cross between a chair and a lizard like you could sit on it but it also might bite you?

Teen playing new Pokémon game on phone discovers body in Wind River

http://county10.com/201021174044426240

19-year-old Riverton, WY resident Shayla Wiggins found the dead body floating in the Wind River this morning around 8:40 a.m. Shayla tells County 10 that she woke up this morning and began playing a game on her cell phone called Pokémon Go, an augmented reality game that encourages the user to capture as many Pokémon as possible. "The Pokémon are all over Riverton," she said. Shayla showed County 10 the game on her cellphone which displayed a map of Riverton where these Pokémon are located.

"I was trying to get a Pokémon from a natural water resource," she explained. She said that she jumped over the fence to go towards the river in search of a Pokémon.

"I was walking towards the bridge along the shore when I saw something in the water," Shayla said. "I had to take a second look and I realized it was a body."

I just caught a Bulbasaur in my kitchen but now all the servers are experiencing problems and won't load.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not always just fun and games:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pokemon-go-uk-release-date-teenager-finds-dead-body-playing-game-a7128441.html

Pokemon GO virtual reality game leads teenage girl to dead body

A teenage girl who was attempting to find virtual reality Pokémon characters in a smartphone game instead found a dead body floating in a river near her home.

Shayla Wiggins, of Riverton, Wyoming, was using the augmented reality app Pokémon GO, in which players hunt down animated mutant characters in real-world locations while looking through their smartphone's camera.

The game was recently released in the US but is not yet officially available in the UK.

Speaking to KTVQ, the 19-year-old said: “The Pokémons are all over Riverton. I was trying to get a Pokémon from a natural water resource."

She said she climbed over a fence to get down to the river.

“I was walking towards the bridge along the shore when I saw something in the water,” Ms Wiggins said. “I had to take a second look and I realized it was a body.”

She said the body appeared to be that of a man dressed in black and was floating three feet from the shore.

After calling the emergency services, detectives told her they thought the body had been in the water for less than 24 hours.

She described the incident as “pretty shocking”. “I was pretty scared and cried for a while," she said.

Police in Wyoming had not released any further information about the death. 

Pokémon GO was released in the US on 7 July causing servers to crash due to the immense demand. 

The augmented-reality game allows players to track down Pokémon characters by using their phones to scan their surroundings. Pokémon appear on screen as if in the real world, through the smartphone’s camera.

It's the same company that made ingress. They've been going for a few years now. Great concept, though at least one person has died from playing and not paying attention and a couple military bases have banned it. 

Someone explain this to me like I'm a Pokemon fan.
From my above post:

The augmented-reality game allows players to track down Pokémon characters by using their phones to scan their surroundings. Pokémon appear on screen as if in the real world, through the smartphone’s camera.

Yeah, a bunch of non-gamer types are getting into it around here as well. Hype has been pretty crazy. 

Okay I am sold and this is a pretty cool idea in that you have to walk to get things. My 16 and 11 year old daughters just downloaded it and we went walking around and caught like 12 of them.

What was funny is we are walking and this car full of teenage boys pulls in behind us and you can hear them say, "I bet those guys are playing Pokémon Go". We found another couple playing it at one of the designated Pokestop that we walked to.

Great idea in that it forces people to get exercise, but I can see the real danger in it. My 11 year old started walking out in the street to catch this Eevee.

My daughter's friend has 61 caught already in just two days.

You can buy a lair module for .99 and they come to you.  

I guess different stuff available at different times of day.  My kid said his friends got into trouble searching for pokemon at 10:30 last night.  The cops were not buying the story that these 14 year olds were searching the park for pokemon.  They called their parents, but then let them go home.  They were looking for clefables, zubats and other night stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded. Will open tomorrow with kids so they see what its it's about. 

How many did Riley catch shady

My son - " Dad, this is so cool"

Me- "No way kid, you're the one who got me addicted to Clas of Clans!"

Son - " But dad, this is Really cool!"

Me- " No way, I am not doing.... Whoa- I just caught a Sqirtle on the back porch!!!"

:bag:
Glad it wasn't a Squistion :hophead:  

Is there a social aspect to this? Can we start a FBGs Gym? :bag:
as far as I know, it's all about locale as opposed to friends.  I could be wrong but I don't think it's like CoC where you can start a team from around the world.  It's a local thing.  That's kinda the whole point of the game with the GPS/maps overlay and what not.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

This will no doubt be the next fad that lasts for the month, but it will be huge while it's here. Don't be the weirdo not on the "in". Just download it.

I guess different stuff available at different times of day.  My kid said his friends got into trouble searching for pokemon at 10:30 last night.  The cops were not buying the story that these 14 year olds were searching the park for pokemon.  They called their parents, but then let them go home.  They were looking for clefables, zubats and other night stuff. 
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/2ab6d8366054bef603d125902f66b4b6146be51a79586e61a77c6c60f5884278_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread