What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Think its bad here? be glad you don't live in Finland (1 Viewer)

Riversco

Footballguy
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-34515639

Finland: Police ask for tip-offs on cheap pizzas

By News from Elsewhere...
...as found by BBC Monitoring

Police in Finland are asking the public to report establishments offering cheap pizzas, as part of efforts to root out tax-dodgers.

The new campaign, which is being publicised on police social media accounts, asks people to inform officers if they spot a pizza on sale for under six euros (£4.50), national broadcaster Yle reports. "Unless a pizza is on temporary sale there is no way a legitimate establishment can offer pizza for less than six euros," Det Insp Minna Immonen of the Uusimaa police department is quoted as saying. Police are trying to crack down on the "grey economy", which costs the country millions of euros in lost tax revenue each year. They also want people to make sure they get a receipt for their pizzas, regardless of value.

Finns commenting on social media have reacted to the campaign with a mixture of bemusement and disbelief. "This pizza-receipt hunting is ridiculous," writes one user on the Economic Crime Investigators' Facebook page. "Shouldn't they concentrate those limited police investigative resources where real problems are?" Others are sceptical that the campaign will have any effect, with many blaming Finland's relatively high tax rates for the problem. "As long as the state 'steals' legitimately with high taxation, then companies will also steal from the government," says one user. Another complains that people are being used as "spies for the criminal investigators", writing: "Isn't it the police's responsibility to investigate this?"

And

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/17/449417422/bargain-pizza-call-the-finnish-police

Finnish police are on the lookout for a new batch of criminals. Their offense? Low pizza prices. Police are concerned that any pizza vendor who offers a bargain-rate pizza might be evading taxes.

So I was working a day shift in Helsinki when I got a call about a guy trying to sell a pepperoni pie for just a fiver. Police in Finland are asking people to call the cops if they find somebody trying to sell pizza for under six euros, or about $6.81 U.S. currency. What do you tell the police? Officers, come quick. I've just seen a man ring up a mozzarella and garlic for just $5.50. ULA, Finland's national broadcast network, quotes police officials as saying there's no way a legitimate establishment can offer pizza for less than six euros. Police are concerned that any pizza vendor who offers a bargain rate pizza might somehow be evading Finnish taxes, which a Finnish government website says are 14 percent for, quote, "foodstuffs, restaurant and catering services and animal feed," meaning, I suppose, that not even cows in Finland can get a pizza for under six euro.

• I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut; I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut! I got the documentation right here...oh, wait it's at home...in the file...under "D".

My Finance Professor in college, the Instructor at Culinary School who taught me how to write Business Plans, and the madly successful Chef who mentored me in the hands-on real-world experience of the restaurant business all agree that pizza, even to the taken to the most sophisticated, artisanal extremes, is the widest profit margin generator in the industry. Quality pizza is all about the dough. Properly done, even the most costly to produce sauces and toppings are applied in such small amounts that their food cost is minimal. Even using 00 Caputo flour, the best water, and highest quality yeast, the amount of dough you can generate by employing proper technique dwarfs the food cost of those ingredients. The restaurant business is hard. Learning to make, and being able to offer, quality pizza as part of a menu, goes a long way towards addressing a lot of other expenses a restaurant can expectedly and unexpectedly generate, that might otherwise lead to a financially perilous situation.

"Dough", indeed...

About the OP I don't think this is just Finland. In Europe I'm often struck by how in the US our businessmen would likely sweep in and take advantage of a situation. Tbh I'm usually focused on beer and food over there but it could be just about anything. When I'm there however I'm told this would not be possible, you can't just set up anything anywhere and sell whatever at whatever price.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-34515639

Finland: Police ask for tip-offs on cheap pizzas

By News from Elsewhere...
...as found by BBC Monitoring

Police in Finland are asking the public to report establishments offering cheap pizzas, as part of efforts to root out tax-dodgers.

The new campaign, which is being publicised on police social media accounts, asks people to inform officers if they spot a pizza on sale for under six euros (£4.50), national broadcaster Yle reports. "Unless a pizza is on temporary sale there is no way a legitimate establishment can offer pizza for less than six euros," Det Insp Minna Immonen of the Uusimaa police department is quoted as saying. Police are trying to crack down on the "grey economy", which costs the country millions of euros in lost tax revenue each year. They also want people to make sure they get a receipt for their pizzas, regardless of value.

Finns commenting on social media have reacted to the campaign with a mixture of bemusement and disbelief. "This pizza-receipt hunting is ridiculous," writes one user on the Economic Crime Investigators' Facebook page. "Shouldn't they concentrate those limited police investigative resources where real problems are?" Others are sceptical that the campaign will have any effect, with many blaming Finland's relatively high tax rates for the problem. "As long as the state 'steals' legitimately with high taxation, then companies will also steal from the government," says one user. Another complains that people are being used as "spies for the criminal investigators", writing: "Isn't it the police's responsibility to investigate this?"

And

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/17/449417422/bargain-pizza-call-the-finnish-police

Finnish police are on the lookout for a new batch of criminals. Their offense? Low pizza prices. Police are concerned that any pizza vendor who offers a bargain-rate pizza might be evading taxes.

So I was working a day shift in Helsinki when I got a call about a guy trying to sell a pepperoni pie for just a fiver. Police in Finland are asking people to call the cops if they find somebody trying to sell pizza for under six euros, or about $6.81 U.S. currency. What do you tell the police? Officers, come quick. I've just seen a man ring up a mozzarella and garlic for just $5.50. ULA, Finland's national broadcast network, quotes police officials as saying there's no way a legitimate establishment can offer pizza for less than six euros. Police are concerned that any pizza vendor who offers a bargain rate pizza might somehow be evading Finnish taxes, which a Finnish government website says are 14 percent for, quote, "foodstuffs, restaurant and catering services and animal feed," meaning, I suppose, that not even cows in Finland can get a pizza for under six euro.
The absurdity of govt

Last edited by a moderator:
I can relate. My first couple years at MSU there was a place called Good Times Pizza that sold 14-inch pizzas for $4. Then they got closed down for tax evasion.

We should be so lucky to have the modern systems of governance, education and medical care that the Finns have. Our old timey constitution isn't cutting it in the 21st century.

... pizza, is the widest profit margin generator in the industry. food cost is minimal. . other expenses a restaurant can expectedly and unexpectedly generate, that might otherwise lead to a financially perilous situation.
Up-front one-time cost to eliminate employees.

Pizzaria - no employee cost
Terrible looking za
I'll wait to hear from the pizza.draft.robot prior to passing judgement.

... pizza, is the widest profit margin generator in the industry. food cost is minimal. . other expenses a restaurant can expectedly and unexpectedly generate, that might otherwise lead to a financially perilous situation.

The inventor of that pizza making robot is Sebastian Roverso...sounds a lot like the OP "Riversco" who hasn't posted here in awhile, right?

Coincidence?!?!?!!?11?

The inventor of that pizza making robot is Sebastian Roverso...sounds a lot like the OP "Riversco" who hasn't posted here in awhile, right?

Coincidence?!?!?!!?11?

I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw that.

Users who are viewing this thread