What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

speeding ticket in Ohio over the 4th and out of state (1 Viewer)

swirvenirvin

Footballguy
Can I hire a Lima traffic attorney to fight it for me?  It 170 mile drive for me so dont really want to waste a day driving and going to court.

Any idea on the costs possibly associated with this?  It's a 4 pointer so I think I need to get it down a bit.  If 3 or 2 points I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Can I hire a Lima traffic attorney to fight it for me?  It 170 mile drive for me so dont really want to waste a day driving and going to court.

Any idea on the costs possibly associated with this?  It's a 4 pointer so I think I need to get it down a bit.  If 3 or 2 points I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Yes you should be able to get a lawyer to represent you and get a plea deal.  Just call around some in the area.  

Have you read the summons carefully.  You may be able to enter a plea by mail which includes an automatic points reduction.  That option is not uncommon around the country for 4 point tickets or less.

The points situation could depend on any reciprocity agreement b/w your state and Ohio.

If this just happened you should expect to get a flood of mail from attorneys once your case/court date gets posted.

Attorneys that specialize in this should know the reciprocity b/w Ohio and your state and what plea arrangement could be made to minimize the impact in your home state.

One question though - did the ticket say that a court appearance is mandatory?  Not sure if 17-over puts you in that category.  If that's the case you have a trip to Ohio coming regardless of attorney.

-QG

The points situation could depend on any reciprocity agreement b/w your state and Ohio.

If this just happened you should expect to get a flood of mail from attorneys once your case/court date gets posted.

Attorneys that specialize in this should know the reciprocity b/w Ohio and your state and what plea arrangement could be made to minimize the impact in your home state.

One question though - did the ticket say that a court appearance is mandatory?  Not sure if 17-over puts you in that category.  If that's the case you have a trip to Ohio coming regardless of attorney.

-QG
Unless it's changed in the last few years I don't think Michigan and Ohio have a reciprocity agreement (you should be able to google) so I don't believe you'll see any points and have to take an insurance hit

Both times I got a ticket there I had to pay on the spot so kind of surprised you didn't and one time was 91 in a 65 written up for the full amount

tl;dr Ohio sucks

-QG
Court date was printed on the ticket, and no I have the option of paying mail/online

Unless it's changed in the last few years I don't think Michigan and Ohio have a reciprocity agreement (you should be able to google) so I don't believe you'll see any points and have to take an insurance hit

Both times I got a ticket there I had to pay on the spot so kind of surprised you didn't and one time was 91 in a 65 written up for the full amount

tl;dr Ohio sucks
From what I see michigan is still one of those states that don't report, but I'm not sure if that means Ohio doesn't report to mich, or if mich wouldn't report to another site

Do not mess with the Ohio State Patrol.  

The entire state is a speed trap.  
This.  I travel to Ohio frequently (from SW PA), and this is a given.  Every other mile there seems to be a state boy lurking.  Has been like this for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from Michigan and just spent the better part of the last week driving around Ohio. 

I thought everyone in Michigan knew that you don't speed in Ohio, especially with our license plates. Just peg the limit and let it ride. I saw dozens of cop cars on the highways. They were out in full force.

I'm from Michigan and just spent the better part of the last week driving around Ohio. 

I thought everyone in Michigan knew that you don't speed in Ohio, especially with our license plates. Just peg the limit and let it ride. I saw dozens of cop cars on the highways. They were out in full force.

Yeah nothing to say here but dumbness on my part, was with a few other cars and thought that would help and with the waze app too that is usually notifies me of the I would say 80% of the time

Ive gotten two different answers from lawyers.

One is $500 and will take care of it without me coming down.

Another is I have to come down and pre-pay a bond and plead not guilty, then they will take care if it. 

Odd that I'm getting two different stories but the one that said I have to come down was the secretary, and the actual lawyer said otherwise.

one neat thing about ohio is that they have a penant flag not a rectangle flag which just shows what a buncha cheapasses those guys are saving on cloth and all that down there take that to the bank bromigos 

also one other neat thing is i honest to god think you can not get arrested by law on the fouth of july in ohio take that to the knowledge flavor in your ear for the old swcer bank bromigos 

went with $500 lawyer only because I could pay with credit card instead of overnighting two separate cashiers checks.

With Visa capital one that is like 1500 miles!!

Haha...I was pulled over on 95 in North Carolina at the same time, $210.  When I returned, my mailbox was full of solicitations from local attorneys. I phoned, and they only wanted $45 to plead down to some lesser charge that was a $25 fine.  Sounds good.  Got my reduced fine in the mail the other day...$25 and $238 in court costs.  LOL.

NFL-ons said:
Haha...I was pulled over on 95 in North Carolina at the same time, $210.  When I returned, my mailbox was full of solicitations from local attorneys. I phoned, and they only wanted $45 to plead down to some lesser charge that was a $25 fine.  Sounds good.  Got my reduced fine in the mail the other day...$25 and $238 in court costs.  LOL.
It's nothing more than a shakedown.

Users who are viewing this thread