What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Nintendo comeback - mini version (1 Viewer)

I will definitely be getting this to play with my son.  We already play bubble bobble on Xbox arcade, but the controllers are a little big for his hands (4yo).  Not to mention, most other games have way too many buttons for kids, and the joysticks are a little more complex than the D pad.

We have a date on this thing?

i kept reading the list and waiting for Mike Tysons punch out..... Punch out featuring Mr Dream will be just fine.

I will definitely be getting this to play with my son.  We already play bubble bobble on Xbox arcade, but the controllers are a little big for his hands (4yo).  Not to mention, most other games have way too many buttons for kids, and the joysticks are a little more complex than the D pad.
No doubt, joystick technology passed me by a long time ago.  I loved the simplicity of the old Nintendo controls

You can already play most of these games on existing Nintendo HW home console or on their portable stuff but the form factor of that thing is pretty awesome.

We have a date on this thing?

i kept reading the list and waiting for Mike Tysons punch out..... Punch out featuring Mr Dream will be just fine.
The NES Classic Edition will launch on November 11 with 30 bundled games. 

Tyson was rumoured to have been paid $50,000 for a three-year period for his likeness. ...  After Nintendo's license to use Mike Tyson as a special Punch-Out!! character expired (Nintendo decided against renewing it due to his recent defeat by James "Buster" Douglas),[citation needed] Nintendo replaced Tyson with a fictional character called Mr. Dream and re-released the game as simply Punch-Out!!
I am sure they couldn't use the Tyson version

Tecmo Bowl is on there.  Wasn't Tecmo Super Bowl part of the Super NES platform?
There was a Tecmo Super Bowl for NES too.  

I've played several 8-bit games on HDTV and they look just fine, but I do wonder if there will be input lag from using HDTVs.  

A lot of people will finding out how the graphics translate to the new tvs. It's not so much the picture so much as how it can make some people woozy from translation issues. I wonder how this will change with the hdmi.

If this has the ability to add games later, could be a great deal.  As it is, there are only a small number of games I would play here for nostalgia reasons.  A lot of these games I didn't play the first time around, and would have a hard time putting much time into old games when there are so many great new ones.

Still have an original NES hooked up. I have a few of those games: Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3, Tecmo Bowl, and Dr. Mario. Have some others like Blades of Steel, John Elway Football, Top Gun, Goal, and a few others I can't remember. One of the game stores by me sells old NES games, so I just go hunting there every so often to see if anything good has come in. It doesn't look too bad on my plasma TV, the only thing is Duck Hunt is impossible to play now.

Nostalgia in here is clouding some of you. You can play these on emulators anytime you want, but they don't hold up. If you play the new madden, you cant go back to Tecmo bowl. It'll be a fun trip back to childhood for 20 mins and you'll never touch it again. 

I have an emulator with all of these games.  Occasionally I'll run through Mario. Other than that, never even bother.  It does make you appreciate how far games have come though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nostalgia in here is clouding some of you. You can play these on emulators anytime you want, but they don't hold up. If you play the new madden, you cant go back to Tecmo bowl. It'll be a fun trip back to childhood for 20 mins and you'll never touch it again. 

I have an emulator with all of these games.  Occasionally I'll run through Mario. Other than that, never even bother.  It does make you appreciate how far games have come though. 
For the most part this is true. I have a modern wii with thousands of games. Genesis, Turbo Grafix 16, Sega Master System, and even a few Commedore 64 games. Pretty much every system prior to the PS1/Xbox era. 

I haven't even turned it on in about 2 years. Might break it out tonight though!

I think the controller would be a big difference.  I downloaded an emulator for Baseball Stars to an old phone, I had a lot of fun with it, except the touch screen controls made diagonal control impossible.  I would easily pay $60...heck, $100 for one of these if it came with Baseball stars and would get my money out of it no problem.

A lot of truth here.  My kids have an xbox, but I don't mess with it too much as I am not very good with all of the controls.  My son kicks my ### in Madden. When I use an emulator to play some of these classics on my laptop, I hate the keyboard controls and it doesn't hold my attention too long because of that.   I am sure some sort of handheld control could be used to interface with the laptop, but I don't have one.  For $60, I'd probably take a chance at it.

I have little interest playing these games on a PC with a keyboard, some tiny handheld device, phone, etc.  Or really with anything other than a old school Nintendo controller in hand.  This also seems very portable for work travel which interests me...and can even take on vacations with the kids.  There's a few titles missing that I'd want, but maybe they are saving some good one's for an expansion module of some sort for next year.

I have little interest playing these games on a PC with a keyboard, some tiny handheld device, phone, etc.  Or really with anything other than a old school Nintendo controller in hand.  This also seems very portable for work travel which interests me...and can even take on vacations with the kids.  There's a few titles missing that I'd want, but maybe they are saving some good one's for an expansion module of some sort for next year.
Um - I use my Xbox controller on my PC

and my bluetooth controller on my tablet/phone

:shrug:

I think the controller would be a big difference.  I downloaded an emulator for Baseball Stars to an old phone, I had a lot of fun with it, except the touch screen controls made diagonal control impossible.  I would easily pay $60...heck, $100 for one of these if it came with Baseball stars and would get my money out of it no problem.
Get something like this - this one was $19

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AOFNU4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can even pair a PS4 controllers to your phone

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine there is much appeal to modern gamers, but for an old fart like me, it makes for a nice nostalgic decoration with access to a few of the classic games.
my 13yo son tries to collect classic games, but doesn't have much of a collection yet.  he'll love this.

pretty cool

I modded my wii to hold 2k roms from nes snes 64 genesis Saturn & neo geo

or else id be in for one of these!

Disagree partially.  I play both current Maddens and Tecmo Super Bowl regularly.  Some games won't match your rose-colored memories, though.  

One for the house and one is going into my classroom in the corner. 

TECMO

DK/DKJr

PunchOut!

Mario 1,2,3

This is the best thing to come out all year

FTR - I like this and will probably get one but like mentioned, I currently play thes from time to time.

Feels like this is 5 years too late

FTR - I like this and will probably get one but like mentioned, I currently play thes from time to time.

Feels like this is 5 years too late
May get one for my kids.  I'm fine continuing to use an emulator.  

I can't imagine there is much appeal to modern gamers, but for an old fart like me, it makes for a nice nostalgic decoration with access to a few of the classic games.
pokemon and candy crush are the popular games of the day.  I think they will love this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread