What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1970s music draft discussion- songs of 1970 (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride

Mountain - Mississippi Queen

Jethro Tull - Teacher

John Lennon - Instant Karma (We All Shine On)

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

Partridge Family - I Think I Love You

Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine

The Beatles - Let it Be

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky

The Beatles - Across the Universe

Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time

Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi

Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed, Delivered

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer

Beatles - The long and Winding Road

Grand Funk Railroad - I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)

The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature

Marmalade - Reflections of My Life

Freda Payne - Band of Gold

Obviously some great tunes here. Love "Teacher", "Big Yellow Taxi" (my pick),  "The Boxer:", "My Sweet Lord", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered". 

But if I had to choose one song which rises above the rest and reaches pop music immortality, it's "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Paul Simon  played with gospel and produced sheer perfection. 

very partial to my pick, of course (Spirit in the Sky) ...

but I would go with 'The Boxer' outta the remaining choices.  such a poignant lyric study, and a brilliant arrangement.  I consider it Simon's finest moment. 

keeping with my 'trifecta' shtick, 'Mississippi Queen' and 'Instant Karma' underneath

:thumbup:

I just got that Guess Who album on vinyl yesterday (for my pic, No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature) - sounds great. But it's not the best song on this list.

My top 5 would be Bridge Over Troubled Water, I'm Your Captain, Spirit in the Sky, The Boxer, and Signed Sealed Delivered. My Guess Who tune falls somewhere after those in my mind.

In the context of "the 70's" I have a hard time putting the Beatles anywhere, although the songs here are quite good (so really, that's probably not fair, but we're not officially judging, so it's all good). Across the Universe is just a great, underrated song - it's my favorite song on that album.

On the other side of the coin, even among all of these classic hits, I Think I Love You by the Partridge Family sounds the freshest. Going by sound, all the rest could easily be sixties songs, but not that one (maybe Instant Karma has a bit of this too).

removing the Boxer, Bridge (took the album) and Spill the Wine from my voting options; leaves Instant Karma, No Sugar Tonight, and Signed, Sealed Delivered as my top 3.  I'll go with No Sugar Tonight as I've had that song on my running mix for a long time and haven't tired of it.

IMO this is the top tier:

• Bridge Over Troubled Water
  • Let It Be
  • The Long and Winding Road
  • The Boxer
  • Signed, Sealed, and Delivered
I would take Bridge as the top song if pressed. Also, IMO Lola (Kinks) is better than most of the rest of these songs.

IMO this is the top tier:

• Bridge Over Troubled Water
  • Let It Be
  • The Long and Winding Road
  • The Boxer
  • Signed, Sealed, and Delivered
I would take Bridge as the top song if pressed. Also, IMO Lola (Kinks) is better than most of the rest of these songs.
Take out The Boxer & Signed, Sealed & Delivered (which I like) and put in My Sweet Lord and No Sugar Tonight and that would probably be my top 5. Great songs here and difficult to narrow to only 5.

Also, can't believe Lola wasn't taken. I never tire of hearing that song on the radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take out The Boxer & Signed, Sealed & Delivered (which I like) and put in My Sweet Lord and No Sugar Tonight and that would probably be my top 5. Great songs here and difficult to narrow to only 5.

Also, can't believe Lola wasn't taken. I never tire of hearing that song on the radio.
I'm not a huge fan of Lola (probably because I've heard it too many times), but yea, not being taken is surprising, as it's so iconic. Just shows how much good stuff was in this draft.

So I'm sure many of us have tagged along and watched this.  I'd like to see polls we can all vote on.   Like 5-3-1 MVP voting for 1st , 2nd and 3rd for each cat.  Then add up the totals after two days.

Getzlaf15 said:
So I'm sure many of us have tagged along and watched this.  I'd like to see polls we can all vote on.   Like 5-3-1 MVP voting for 1st , 2nd and 3rd for each cat.  Then add up the totals after two days.
Just don't see how this would end up any different than most 'best of' lists you read.  We probably could predict how each vote will go.  

Just don't see how this would end up any different than most 'best of' lists you read.  We probably could predict how each vote will go.  
Prettymuch - especially in the later years, when we have one-hit wonder pop songs going up against Bohemian Rhapsody (et al). I like this discussion a little better. A lot of us are giving our top 3 or 5, so that's pretty cool.  

The record I chose - the Delfonics song - is probably the "smallest" hit on this list. Most of the others either charted higher or got the hell played out of them on classic rock radio (though they did win a Grammy for it). 

I don't care. I think it's as beautiful a piece of music as anything released in that year (or any other, IMO). And that's saying something going up against "Bridge", "Let It Be", and some of the others chosen. 

Story's old as Time: dude keeps giving, girl keeps dissing him, he swears he's walking out THIS time, still dreams he's gonna win her back.

Plus the dude in orange looks like Leon Spinks

The record I chose - the Delfonics song - is probably the "smallest" hit on this list. Most of the others either charted higher or got the hell played out of them on classic rock radio (though they did win a Grammy for it). 

I don't care. I think it's as beautiful a piece of music as anything released in that year (or any other, IMO). And that's saying something going up against "Bridge", "Let It Be", and some of the others chosen. 

Story's old as Time: dude keeps giving, girl keeps dissing him, he swears he's walking out THIS time, still dreams he's gonna win her back.

Plus the dude in orange looks like Leon Spinks
there was an extremely short-lived thread a few months ago, asking opinion on greatest ever love song -

I concurred with 'Something' (which had been mentioned by a few posters), but listed this ('Didn't I Blow Your Mind') as my personal favorite .

:shrug:

Forgot to post this earlier. Here is the FFA poll from 2012: Best Single of 1970

There are some other great songs listed in that poll that haven't been mentioned here, like Immigrant Song and American Woman. This reminded me that there are some other great songs from Led Zeppelin III that aren't mentioned, such as Friends and Since I've Been Loving You.

Forgot to post this earlier. Here is the FFA poll from 2012: Best Single of 1970

There are some other great songs listed in that poll that haven't been mentioned here, like Immigrant Song and American Woman. This reminded me that there are some other great songs from Led Zeppelin III that aren't mentioned, such as Friends and Since I've Been Loving You.
Can't recall right now, but both of those songs you mention from the other draft may have been drafted in genre categories.

Godsbrother said:
I prefer Let it Be to Bridge but they are both great songs.
We'll have to disagree on this one. I think Bridge is an all time great and Let It Be is one of my least favorite Beatles songs.

There was somewhat of an unofficial effort to not pick songs from albums already picked (and most people filled out albums first).

as the draft wore on, the great majority of songs selected were taken in the second half - and I sensed that many were drafting songs that were more emblematic of the decade/year rather than the low hanging fruit of the tried and true classics - and there were also personal favorites that really hit home (as most drafters 'grew up' with these tunes) 

that's not to say that there was a total disregard for the monster tracks we all know like the back of our hand, but an air of individuality permeated the latter part of the draft, and I found it refreshing to see some 'new blood', as it were.

I was in 3rd grade when "Let It Be" came out and I can still remember the teacher in music class playing the single version, telling us that "this is the best guitar solo ever". Looking back, she must have been really young - like "just graduated college" young. But I had an aunt who was ten years older than I was and had already - through osmosis or directly  -turned me on to a lot of underground FM music (that's where my irrational love of Grand Funk comes from). 

Anyway, I distinctly recall thinking an 8-year-old's version of "WTF?" when my teacher said that. George's solo is fine (especially on the single), but I didn't think it was the best. But it DID fit the song really well, which earns it points from me.

as the draft wore on, the great majority of songs selected were taken in the second half - and I sensed that many were drafting songs that were more emblematic of the decade/year rather than the low hanging fruit of the tried and true classics - and there were also personal favorites that really hit home (as most drafters 'grew up' with these tunes) 

that's not to say that there was a total disregard for the monster tracks we all know like the back of our hand, but an air of individuality permeated the latter part of the draft, and I found it refreshing to see some 'new blood', as it were.
Sure, I followed the draft and understood many were doing this. IMO Friends and Since I've Been Loving You shouldn't be lumped in with "tried and true classics."

Tangerine is my favorite song off LZlll.

Sure, I followed the draft and understood many were doing this. IMO Friends and Since I've Been Loving You shouldn't be lumped in with "tried and true classics."
I agree they aren't quite the low hanging fruit, but we had plenty of Zep represented already. I think the list is way more interesting with Spirit in the Sky, Band of Gold, Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time, and I think I love You on It, despite my liking most songs on Zep III better than those.

I agree they aren't quite the low hanging fruit, but we had plenty of Zep represented already. I think the list is way more interesting with Spirit in the Sky, Band of Gold, Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time, and I think I love You on It, despite my liking most songs on Zep III better than those.
Me, too. I run contrarian most of the time when it comes to music, but I can defend every choice I made if pressed to do so. Wait til you guys who weren't in the draft thread see my hard rock album and song. Plus, I took Barry ####### Manilow you cowards.

We did an age-check at some point in the draft and most of us were white dudes and dudettes who grew up on 70s rock, so I expected most of the choices to be AOR-leaning. I took some of those kinds of albums/songs myself, but many of mine were purposely chosen to at least talk about breaking the mold we've been force-fed for almost 50 years.

I think it is interesting with a garden variety. I drafted the Chicago song, but I wouldn't put it in the top five from the list. Chicago hadn't been represented yet, and the draft was more than half way over so I drafted it, plus I like the  band. I would put Terry Kath's guitar solo in  25 or 6 to 4 up against any of the songs on that list.

I think it is interesting with a garden variety. I drafted the Chicago song, but I wouldn't put it in the top five from the list. Chicago hadn't been represented yet, and the draft was more than half way over so I drafted it, plus I like the  band. I would put Terry Kath's guitar solo in  25 or 6 to 4 up against any of the songs on that list.

Was never a big horn section guy, but love 25 or 6 to 4.  

I was talking in a more general sense, but you're being very specific about these two tracks. 

I never called those two 'tried and true' nor 'low hanging' ... again, i spoke in a general sense - I think that was clear enough in my post -

and I concur with the upthread sentiment that seeing the variance here was cooler this time around rather than seeing 1/3 of the selections for '70 being cuts from LZIII 

and, for the record, I love Zep 

Let It Be and Bridge are both heavily influenced by gospel music, but Bridge is a more complex song, both in melody and lyrics. It think it's the best thing Paul Simon ever wrote which is saying a lot. The Boxer is a wonderful song but it's more traditional folk which relates to his 60s work (as is The Only Living Boy In New York and Cecilia). 

I was talking in a more general sense, but you're being very specific about these two tracks. 

I never called those two 'tried and true' nor 'low hanging' ... again, i spoke in a general sense - I think that was clear enough in my post -

and I concur with the upthread sentiment that seeing the variance here was cooler this time around rather than seeing 1/3 of the selections for '70 being cuts from LZIII 

and, for the record, I love Zep 
This is a bizarre tangent that originated because I stated that there were a couple very popular songs and some other less popular but still great songs that had not been mentioned in the discussion. I did not offer any specific or general criticism of anyone's choices.

Good thing we bypassed actual judging of the drafts...

This is a bizarre tangent that originated because I stated that there were a couple very popular songs and some other less popular but still great songs that had not been mentioned in the discussion. I did not offer any specific or general criticism of anyone's choices.

you chose to say that those two songs were not 'tried and true classics', twisting my words, and quoting me, when I never said they were 

If it's a 'bizarre tangent' to point that out, then so be it   :deadhorse:

Nah, it's a legit direction. I get what you are saying, though. We actually talked about this - that when this went into the general forum, we'd have a ton of "lots was missed" posts - it's to be expected. I guess we'd just rather talk about the stuff drafted, not what wasn't (me, anyway.) Especially from Classic Rock giants.

Nah, it's a legit direction. I get what you are saying, though. We actually talked about this - that when this went into the general forum, we'd have a ton of "lots was missed" posts - it's to be expected. I guess we'd just rather talk about the stuff drafted, not what wasn't (me, anyway.) Especially from Classic Rock giants.
Noted. I'll refrain from posting about stuff not drafted going forward. Carry on.

25 or 6 to 4 was on my short list for my 1970 song selection - I did want to be the one to break the glass on Chicago and this is one of my favorite songs of their catalog.  But, was somewhat glad that it went when it did, as that forced my hand into Signed, Sealed, Delivered as I am not 100% sure I would have picked SSD over 25-6-4.

Spirit In The Sky and Ride Captain Ride would be 1A and 1B for me. Both of these do a great job of straddling the line between 70s rock (Mississippi Queen) and 70s pop (Partridges) . 25 or 6 to 4 is easily the song I associate with Chicago's "sound" and best song, which is great, but as their best song it just doesn't jump out and say "70s" like the other two. Maybe in a different year it might or in a category for songs that could be popular if released 10 or 20 years later it migh

Bridge does nothing for me. Lyrically or musically.

Spirit In The Sky and Ride Captain Ride would be 1A and 1B for me. Both of these do a great job of straddling the line between 70s rock (Mississippi Queen) and 70s pop (Partridges) . 25 or 6 to 4 is easily the song I associate with Chicago's "sound" and best song, which is great, but as their best song it just doesn't jump out and say "70s" like the other two.
pretty cool spin on this, and kinda what I think the complexion of the draft morphed into (those freewheelin' 70s)

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread