What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

More Terrorism in France, or Something else? (1 Viewer)

Driver of the truck was shot and killed

30 dead, 100 injured as per the banner tag on the live feed above

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the truck driver Muslim?
If the driver is Muslim, I'm reminded of a very recent news story out of France:

July 11, 2016:  France is 'on the verge of a civil war' which could be sparked by a mass sexual assault on women by migrants, intelligence chief warns

Growing tensions between the ‘extreme Right and the Muslim world’ have pushed France to the ‘verge of a civil war’, the country’s most senior security chief has warned.

Patrick Calvar, head of the General Directorate for Internal Security (DGSI) – France’s equivalent of MI5 – made his claim in the wake of last year’s terrorist attacks on Paris. 

A total of 147 people were murdered by terrorists in the capital during atrocities in January and November.

Many of those responsible were French passport holders with North African backgrounds, leading to far-Right politicians calling for a massive clampdown on immigration.

But Mr Calvar, 60, warned there is evidence that radical Right-wing French groups have been massing arms in preparation for their own attacks on mosques and synagogues.

‘I think we will win against terrorism,’ Mr Calvar said, but predicted the ‘confrontation between the extreme Right and the Muslim world’, adding: ‘We’re on the verge of a civil war. I think this confrontation is going to happen. One or two more attacks and it will take place. It is up to us to anticipate and stop all those groups who would trigger clashes.’

The closed inquiry was held on May 24, but Mr Calvar’s dramatic comments were leaked to French media yesterday. He said: ‘Where is the spark going to come from that will light the powder, transforming France into an uncontrollable country where groups take up arms and hand out their own justice? Who sees a crumbling country where violence and vengeance alternates between two camps, where the spiral of attacks does not stop?

‘Nothing is excluded in a country which is already as eruptive as France today.’

If the driver is Muslim, I'm reminded of a very recent news story out of France:

July 11, 2016:  France is 'on the verge of a civil war' which could be sparked by a mass sexual assault on women by migrants, intelligence chief warns

Growing tensions between the ‘extreme Right and the Muslim world’ have pushed France to the ‘verge of a civil war’, the country’s most senior security chief has warned.

Patrick Calvar, head of the General Directorate for Internal Security (DGSI) – France’s equivalent of MI5 – made his claim in the wake of last year’s terrorist attacks on Paris. 

A total of 147 people were murdered by terrorists in the capital during atrocities in January and November.

Many of those responsible were French passport holders with North African backgrounds, leading to far-Right politicians calling for a massive clampdown on immigration.

But Mr Calvar, 60, warned there is evidence that radical Right-wing French groups have been massing arms in preparation for their own attacks on mosques and synagogues.

‘I think we will win against terrorism,’ Mr Calvar said, but predicted the ‘confrontation between the extreme Right and the Muslim world’, adding: ‘We’re on the verge of a civil war. I think this confrontation is going to happen. One or two more attacks and it will take place. It is up to us to anticipate and stop all those groups who would trigger clashes.’

The closed inquiry was held on May 24, but Mr Calvar’s dramatic comments were leaked to French media yesterday. He said: ‘Where is the spark going to come from that will light the powder, transforming France into an uncontrollable country where groups take up arms and hand out their own justice? Who sees a crumbling country where violence and vengeance alternates between two camps, where the spiral of attacks does not stop?

‘Nothing is excluded in a country which is already as eruptive as France today.’

Man, this is terrible.  La Haine...

Terrible news again.  It seems like we are nearing a time when these things happen every single day.

Police shoot and kill driver to stop him.  Another reason why I will never hate on our cops when there are so many damn crazy people out there.

Live Reddit also says hostage situation in "Buffalo Grill"

Driver fired gun / accomplices of truck may have also fired and are on the run

Police warn people not to run in opposite direction in case there is a second vehicle

Sad.

Man this is tough to watch as my daughter is in Barcelona this summer for school and is on her way to Nice on a bus to visit Nice and Monaco for the weekend. Thankfully she just called Mom - and Mom is not happy now - they are trying to determine what to do now. And I'm sure my fox watching MIL will be freaking out in a bit.

Videos look horrible.

Seems like there is an act of multiple deaths once a week or so. I keep arguing (and telling myself) that we live in better and safer times than ever before. But it's hard to remember...

tim is here yet again to derail a thread where people want updates.  Reddit Live is a good resource for those interested in the actual news, not tim's opinions.

Adios. #PrayersforNice

Yep.. makes me pine for the good ole days of the Vietnam War or the World War's or the Crusades... or the Dark Ages.. 
Can you get outta here with this?  No one is buying it.  Show some respect for the families.  

tim is here yet again to derail a thread where people want updates.  Reddit Live is a good resource for those interested in the actual news, not tim's opinions.
I'm not the one who tried to turn this into an immigrant discussion, or bashed Muslims. 

I'm not sure wtf I was thinking clicking on that video. 
I made the same mistake and I'm effing regretting it.   Such a sad story that seems to becoming all the more common.   I think Rage Against the Machine was right when they said "There be no shelter here--the frontline is everywhere".   My condolences to everybody effected by this tragedy.   I think they are saying 60 dead now.  Wow. 

This situation is getting out of control.  It's getting out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. 

Users who are viewing this thread