What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Moderation Thoughts - What Do You Think? (1 Viewer)

How would you like to see the FFA moderated?

• More heavily moderated than it is now with time outs given much more frequently for unexcellent beha

Votes: 42 11.4%
  • A little more moderated than it is now with time outs given a little more frequently for unexcellent

Votes: 73 19.8%
  • Keep it like it is now

Votes: 119 32.3%
  • A little less moderated than it is now with time outs given a little less frequently for unexcellent

Votes: 63 17.1%
  • A lot less moderated than it is now with time outs given much less frequently for unexcellent behavi

Votes: 71 19.3%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Today's talk about the Baton Rouge murders has brought on some talk about how we moderate the boards.

I know some people think we moderate too much. Some not enough.

There does seem to be a general level of unexcellentness to each other that makes posting in some of the threads not fun. Not really outright attacks, just general toolishness. Some have suggested we moderate more heavily and give time outs for people being uncool. This is always a tough line to balance. People always see their posting on a different standard than the other person's posting. (Who usually seems to have have an opinion they disagree with)

So I'd throw it out here.

What would you guys like to see?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Less moderation but harsher timeouts when the line is crossed. But, imo, that line should be moved forward a bit and be a little looser.

And bring back pics, please.

And increase the # of topics on page 1. This is a big reason why some people have left the boards  (along with the other changes that came with the "upgrade").

There are a few people that feel the need to step over the line, repeatedly. But there is a way to ignore those posters. I would caution taking away peoples ability to express concerns, opinions or rants during frustrating times. None of us are perfect.

Most of us can post without getting banned/timeouts. It seems like it's the same "line steppers" that  repeatedly get dinged and whine about it.
Agree with this. Maybe progressive timeouts with perma bans at the end of it. It's the same people and they spew the same crap. Already know what half of them are going to say. 

"A little more moderated than it is now."  Not interested in seeing people get time-outs for off-color jokes.  I just don't like high-tension threads getting tooled up.

Edit: That means anything to do with race, LGBT, immigration, religion, politics.  And of course tragedies like the Louisiana shootings today.  A small but vocal segment of this board needs to chill a little on these topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you bring back embedded pictures I'm fine with whatever type of moderation you choose provided you ignore the yoga pants thread.

Serious answer is that I voted much less, the TOs around here seem rather arbitrary both in terms of who gets them and the length of them.  It just seems like your team has a very tough task trying to moderate consistently and I think that would only get tougher with more of it.

Moderation is great. I'd love to see the end of the language filter but I know why it's here and that it's not going anywhere. I wish posters could earn circumvent privileges though. I could really tell some killer stories if I had a little more leash with the vulgarities/colloquialisms. 

The problem is there's a ton of trollish behavior that doesn't cross the line. Just some posters constantly poke and dig and insinuate and it can get distracting and it's almost impossible to 'moderate' cause no one post is that offensive. 

We need a 'd-bag' council made up of a wide array of perspectives. 2/3 majority of council vote to permaban these trolls. 

Timeouts only for aggressive attacks or name calling IMO. 
This

We're all adults here but personal attacks are unnecessary and should be punished

I voted much less but I guess id be OK if harsher penalties were given to the personal attack type offenses but lightened up on the moderation for other stuff

Disclaimer : I'm off a recent lengthy timeout so I'll respect the rules in place but would like to see clearer guidelines and more consistent punishment 

Just be consistent either way you go.

It would be nice to limit the number of posts one can make in a particular thread.  If someone can't make their point in 100 posts, for example, then they are probably either spamming the thread or saying the same thing over and over and over because they think their opinion matters more than everyone elses.

Today's talk about the Baton Rouge murders has brought on some talk about how we moderate the boards.

I know some people think we moderate too much. Some not enough.

There does seem to be a general level of unexcellentness to each other that makes posting in some of the threads not fun. Not really outright attacks, just general toolishness. Some have suggested we moderate more heavily and give time outs for people being uncool. This is always a tough line to balance. People always see their posting on a different standard than the other person's posting. (Who usually seems to have have an opinion they disagree with)

So I'd throw it out here.

What would you guys like to see?

J
Only flaw in moderation is the absolute lack of parity. I feel like timchochet can write whatever hateful things he wants without the same recourse as others would receive.

Besides that, it's fine, imo. I don't know how many reports you get on a daily basis but it would be nice to know the outcome of when I report somebody. I think that would make things feel less arbitrary.

"We looked into your report and decided that for 'x reason' we are not going to take any action. Please avoid this poster in the future."

Even if no action is taken, communication with your members is nice. Otherwise I don't know if I'm being ignored by staff or if what I'm reporting is actually allowed behavior or not.

I would imagine a place that gets this much traffic is pretty impossible to moderate fairly. There's no way someone can check every post in every thread every day. Which means when there's a huge popular thread like today's police shooting thread, people will get dinged for posting things that aren't as bad as something someone posted in a different thread on a different day just because the mod was in the big one and saw it

It would be nice to limit the number of posts one can make in a particular thread.  If someone can't make their point in 100 posts, for example, then they are probably either spamming the thread or saying the same thing over and over and over because they think their opinion matters more than everyone elses.
Tim is never going to get to 200K posts if this is implemented.

I feel like short term time outs (20-30 minutes) along with a quick email saying it's a drag to have to police the forum for whatever the behavior the banned was guilty of would have a much better effect than a long term banning and silence or a harsh mod post.  Banning people long term does not help the long term "excellentness" of the board.  You're just creating enemies who won't feel like a part of the community.  They'll come back and keep repeating the same behavior.  A quick time out and positive note and they'll be more apt to "fall in line". Basically, privately shame them to cut the crap along with the carrot of a very short time out.

This doesn't work for long-lasting threads like GMTAN, the 10K thread, the threads about the NBA and NHL, etc.

Unless a reply of :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  is made in a disrespectful way, directly to a request from a mod / admin, and it gets someone a TO, I can't help but think that there are times this place is over moderated 

Bring back pictures. 

So stupid that threads like that anonymous confession thread got deleted but inane political  threads with the exact same arguments for the last 15 years are allowed to prosper like a cancer. 

Childish behavior is ubiquitous but treated very differently. 

The problem is there's a ton of trollish behavior that doesn't cross the line. Just some posters constantly poke and dig and insinuate and it can get distracting and it's almost impossible to 'moderate' cause no one post is that offensive. 

We need a 'd-bag' council made up of a wide array of perspectives. 2/3 majority of council vote to permaban these trolls. 
imo, the majority of the people that "dig" and "insinuate" in the political threads are doing it to the lunatic fringe in at attempt to get them to stop posting/post elsewhere.

they aren't getting personal because that leads to timeouts... but they're going to needle the racists, the bigots, the biggest tools on the board because that's the only recourse. irritate them in to leaving.

people blame the Tanners, etc. for poking and prodding in the political threads but those things are off the rails 2 posts in with race-baiting, homophobia, xenophobia.. the most horrible #### from the comments section of the daily newspaper type postings.  some people want to read and/or comment in them civilly but can't with the loons that post in them hurling around wrecking balls covered in feces.

i liken the loony political and religious posters to the kid at school that's constantly, daily, bullying and pushing the line and threatening other kids... that goes ape#### when the class satirist takes a shot at them that they don't understand.  they go running to the principal and get in trouble the kid that's sick & tired of the wacko ruining every discussion with their idiocy.

the ones that should be getting the timeouts, imo, are the guys that post crazy right-wing racist diatribes at every turn.  the joking/"trolling" posters you know are going to make light of..... everything.  not liking a sense of humor is one thing.. being an awful, deplorable, bigoted pile of #### is entirely another.  THOSE are the people who derail threads and make them unreadable. not the class clowns. by & large the only people responding to the joking posts are the crazies. on the other hand when one of the fringe political posters tosses a hand grenade in a thread it seems like a majority of people can't help but respond seriously and then the whole thing goes to pot.

what's more damaging, cat memes or hate spewing?

Moderate  it how you like but at least have the decency to moderate the same on both the left and the right. You and your team are extremely biased to one side.

I believe once the conversation in the thread turns off point or a poster comes along and instead of challenging thru debate, decides rather to tear the other poster apart with derogatory terms or calls the other poster stupid or any array of same meaning words, that's when the threads take a sour turn. 

If that were curtailed better IMO this place would be a little stronger for it. That said, it's up to the folks who frequent this place to uphold the 1 basic rule, be excellent to each other. 

And the reality is when push comes to shove this place shines like no other. Some amazing things happen around here, we have raised money for great causes, the t-shirt exchange shows people care around here. 

Folks just get upset and heated and sometimes you just need to get some fresh air. 

For a while Clayton was banning anyone that wasn't a flag waving fan of Bernie, but Joe has seemed pretty fair. I assume GpaRox was referring to the left.
He clipped a bunch of people who admityed to organizing to flood and troll a topic that Clayton was active in.

Probably smart not to do such things ina a topic a mod is always in.

I think there are a handful of trolls on the board and I have been trolled by a few, but you know what? I'm a big boy. I can handle it.  Bans should only be handed out for people way over the top.  Like a certain little #### that needles me about Larry Craig still - how many years ago was that?

And then Joe, the warnings I got are over five years old. How about a sunset law?

BTW - I took five years off because the FFA was getting too hostile. I think when it gets that way, it is time to make an example of someone.

One complaint I do see is that people get banned and don't know why. We should be made aware of the charges against us.

Moderation seems like an impossible job. Some think an action is "ok" and others think the same thing is incredibly offensive to the point of needing a ban.  Its almost like people have different moral values or something.  People will just use this thread to lobby for things they want.

Seems fine to me. I usually never know if/when/what people are give a timeout for.  

Obvious trolls that cut and paste garbage or serious personal attacks are only ones that should be banned.

Users who are viewing this thread