What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back to the 80s Movies: 1982 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I wanted to write a thread on the terrible state of current movies but before trashing the new ones perhaps I should reflect on why I feel that way. Were the movies that much better in the time period I grew up in? The 1980s is filled with a lot of cheesy movies but it also has some unbelievable years for film. One year that jumps out is 1985 with perhaps the 80s icon of film in Back to the Future.

Instead I will focus on a different year or summer mostly where there is a classic it seems almost every week at the theaters. The first couple years of the 80s is mostly a continuation of the 70s but in 1982 we see a shift from those films in the 60s and 70s to a different style and also the action and acceptable violence starts to get raised to new levels.

May ‘82

Conan the Barbarian: Depends on what your taste in film but this is easily the best of anything ever done in this genre. Pt.2 was a dud although you can appreciate it’s campiness but in this one they crucify Arnold into an actual living tree, James Earl Jones ups the acting value and the cinematography is really good in this.

The Road Warrior MM2: Are you kidding, back to back weeks and you unleash both of these films? Most folks like this  one the best out of the first trilogy. It only made $24M at the box office. Granted, back then movies cost less than $5 to go see but this got more legs on HBO to be honest. I bet that’s how many of you saw it who were under 12 when this was released.

Rocky III: It had Mr. T and Hulk Hogan in it. It was the first Rocky movie I saw in the theater, T scared the hell out of me. Looking back this film pales in comparison to I and II but it has it’s moments and did $125M, that was a lot back then.

June ‘82

Poltergeist: The 1st one scared the hell out of people especially kids as this somehow snuck out a PG rating. That clown in the closet...run Carol Anne RUN!!!

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan...same weekend no less when it was released. Most folks feel this is the best of all the movies in this franchise.

E.T. is released the very next week and would go on to rack up $440M at the box office, maybe less on it’s 1st go but it stayed in theaters for months, maybe thru Christmas and the following Oscar season. I don’t think anyone born 1990s and beyond understands what it’s like for a movie to be so dominant for months and talked about repeatedly in the news.  

The last weekend in June would see 2 films that did not make a lot of money but would go on to become major cult classics and talked about for decades.

Blade Runner with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer turning in amazing performances.

The Thing with Kurt Russell and I watched this just a couple months ago and was surprised just how good this John Carpenter film was.

July/Aug ‘82

As you can imagine things slow down just a bit here but there still are some quality films here, just depends on how old you are on if you ever saw any of these films before they got a little dated or the genre died like musicals which have jumped to animation in more recent years.

The Secret of Nimh

Tron

Six Pack: Kenny Rogers and a young Diane Lane

Best Lil Whorehouse in Texas

Officer and a Gentleman

Pink Floyd:The Wall

Fast Times at Ridgemont High...Let’s Party!

And finally to round out the summer how about The Beastmaster!

Later that same year…

First Blood: Easily one of Stallone’s very best, some good casting around him as well.

48 Hours: The birth of the buddy cop film and would spawn many other franchises.

Tootsie: One of Dustin Hoffman’s best and that’s saying something when you add up all his great work. Bill Murray gives us the first hint that he has bigger plans beyond slapstick comedy.

I also should mention the two biggest %^&*@! movies for teenage boys in the early 80s, Porky's and The Beach Girls. This was prior to internet when you had to try and find dad's stash of Playboys...some of you just wouldn't understand, the dark ages. 

So now let’s talk about 2016 or any of the recent years. The landscape has changed a lot. We got Spider Man in 2001 or 2002 with Tobey McGuire and since that point we have been fed with regularity a series of comic book characters and movies at least a couple times a year and it gets to the point where I’ve seen one I’ve seen them all it feels like. I enjoy Iron Man and that character can even carry the Avengers for part of the film but at a point I just disconnect and don’t care because I didn’t collect comics as a kid and I am only invested so much.

I miss more of the old school action Lethal Weapon/Die Hard style films. Even Road Warrior the way it is filmed with no green screens and very little cartoonish special efx it has an authentic look to it. Movies do not look real anymore. It’s just green screen and fill in around the actors who you can clearly see don’t have any idea what is happening around them.

Get off My Lawn!!!

Did you miss Mad Max? It came out last year. It's pretty bad ### with very little CGI. 
Easily the best movie I have ever seen in 3-D, we loved it. 

That and Hateful 8 were my 2 favorite movies last year and I trashed the Star Wars film to the hate of many in here. 

I don't expect for there to a be a movie a week targeted towards the middle aged white male market or whatever but I feel like I go 6 months without much tempting me to make it into the movie theater. I saw Sicario last year in theaters, it was OK but because there is so few of those kinds of films made now with authenticity and little to no green screens that critics ate it up. I liked the look of it but the acting and story were just OK. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We come at that this from opposite ends (no surprise), but I do have an honest question:  How often do watch movies from the era that you are pining for? 

I think movies are just as good, and the last couple years had some movies that I thought were amazing.  More times than not, I watch movies that I love from the 80s and don't think they quite hold up as well as they do in my mind.  On your list, I would probably only say that 5-6 are ones that I like or would say hold up, but again - different strokes.

That said, this is like comparing the greatest Qbs over the different eras - the game is completely different now.  No, there is not quite the mix of movies that become summer blockbusters.  Too many of us have good enough setups at home, and the prices are so bad, that if people do go out it's usually more teen targeted and familiar stuff.  We don't want to risk spending that $50+ on something that isn't #### blowing up or at least familiar.   They don't have the R rated action movies because old farts like us stay home and watch it on the big screen, so we have the increase in PG-13 action, comic book, and buddy cop stuff to attract the teens and families.  Loooong gone are the days were we will see a mix of movies we saw topping the best grossers of the summer like we did in the 80s and 90s.  Just too many options for watching movies now.   

We come at that this from opposite ends (no surprise), but I do have an honest question:  How often do watch movies from the era that you are pining for? 

I think movies are just as good, and the last couple years had some movies that I thought were amazing.  More times than not, I watch movies that I love from the 80s and don't think they quite hold up as well as they do in my mind.  On your list, I would probably only say that 5-6 are ones that I like or would say hold up, but again - different strokes.

That said, this is like comparing the greatest Qbs over the different eras - the game is completely different now.  No, there is not quite the mix of movies that become summer blockbusters.  Too many of us have good enough setups at home, and the prices are so bad, that if people do go out it's usually more teen targeted and familiar stuff.  We don't want to risk spending that $50+ on something that isn't #### blowing up or at least familiar.   They don't have the R rated action movies because old farts like us stay home and watch it on the big screen, so we have the increase in PG-13 action, comic book, and buddy cop stuff to attract the teens and families.  Loooong gone are the days were we will see a mix of movies we saw topping the best grossers of the summer like we did in the 80s and 90s.  Just too many options for watching movies now.   
Of anyone I was hoping you might stop by. I agree that some of the movies do not hold up well but I listed a bunch of classics and cult classics that might not have been box office smashes but were in general reviewed well and simply found their audience later. Shawshank in 1994 is like that where it didn't do well at the box office, I couldn't kidnap folks to see that film even when I offered to pay.  Then it found it's way on DVD and cable and now everyone loves that movie or has seen it. 

And I disagree that movies are made better now. Just because they use computers and green screens, many of the action films of the 80s were better than stuff they do now because the action looks more real. I'm sorry but whenever Capt America or an X Men or one of these guys starts fighting it looks like a cartoon/video game much of the time.

Ever watch Thief by Mann? 1981 film, maybe his first and you get to see exactly the methodical way and heaviness he creates just getting absorbed into the action of the actor or what they are doing, even if it is just taking a measurement for a future action, it's done with a purpose. 

I also think the 80s does a far better job of blending music with film like Flash Dance in 1983. Many of the musicians in the 80s had their work either featured in films or were sought out to incorporate songs. Because of MTV, you had musical montage at times in films, some didn't work so well but some did and it was a breakthrough in film. 

I know you are big into the last 15-20 years, you have a thread devoted to it, deeply respect your view of film, maybe this is just a terrible summer for me looking at films. And I simply highlighted 1982, there are some big summers ahead in the 80s. How many movies are released in the last 5-10 years where despite some eye popping numbers due in large part to rising ticket prices and films going into 4,000 screens vs 1,200-1,500 max in the 80s most of the time, how many of the more recent films will be classics they talk about for decades to come?

And I agree with you that there are a lot more things to choose from now, dilutes everything. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Conan the Barbarian

Rocky III:

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan

Six Pack: Kenny Rogers and a young Diane Lane

Best Lil Whorehouse in Texas

The Beastmaster!

First Blood: Easily one of Stallone’s very best, some good casting around him as well.

These are all below average to totally crappy

Ministry of Pain said:
The Road Warrior MM2

Great for an action movie.   Which means it is slightly above average over all.

Poltergeist

Scary movie version of Mad Max

E.T.

Great for a kids movie

Blade Runner 

Outstanding.  

The Thing 

Not really my bag but pretty good for what it is.

Tron

Meh

Officer and a Gentleman

Holds up

Great if you're high.  So-so if you're not.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High...

Classic but I can see how it wouldn't translate well to younger generations

48 Hours

Decent 

These are all below average to totally crappy
Says who?

Wrath of Khan is 88% on RT, you don't know what you're talking about. The reason Mad Max was awesome in 2015(bet you didn't like it) is because of the Road Warrior in 1982 IMHO...you can feel different. I offered some views, you just post crappy movies, got it. 

Poltergeist 88%

E.T. 98%

Conan 70% and it's an epic film, far better than the drivel called a reboot in the last 5-6 years, that movie was total junk compared to Arnold. 

And this is what I hate about posters like you sometimes...you make me go look up what I already know is true. I stated my opinion, you seem to dislike that opinion but offer no merit of basis for your complaint. 

Now if you'll kindly step off stage, Johnny has some Swedish Fish for our parting contestants. 

Says who?

Wrath of Khan is 88% on RT, you don't know what you're talking about. The reason Mad Max was awesome in 2015(bet you didn't like it) is because of the Road Warrior in 1982 IMHO...you can feel different. I offered some views, you just post crappy movies, got it. 

Poltergeist 88%

E.T. 98%

Conan 70% and it's an epic film, far better than the drivel called a reboot in the last 5-6 years, that movie was total junk compared to Arnold. 

And this is what I hate about posters like you sometimes...you make me go look up what I already know is true. I stated my opinion, you seem to dislike that opinion but offer no merit of basis for your complaint. 

Now if you'll kindly step off stage, Johnny has some Swedish Fish for our parting contestants. 
You mixed up my lists.

How well do you think something like Poltergeist or Wrath of Khan would have scored if RT had been around in 1982?

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Ministry of Pain said:
The first couple years of the 80s is mostly a continuation of the 70s but in 1982 we see a shift from those films in the 60s and 70s to a different style and also the action and acceptable violence starts to get raised to new levels.
Nice work MOP.

Of anyone I was hoping you might stop by.  :oldunsure:

I agree that some of the movies do not hold up well but I listed a bunch of classics and cult classics that might not have been box office smashes but were in general reviewed well and simply found their audience later. Shawshank in 1994 is like that where it didn't do well at the box office, I couldn't kidnap folks to see that film even when I offered to pay.  Then it found it's way on DVD and cable and now everyone loves that movie or has seen it. 

Maybe I was misreading your post, but we can't really complain about the main draws in the theater now if you are posting examples of stuff that became loved in hindsight and maybe didn't destroy the box office at the time.  I did find it interesting that you did list 3 sequels in your original list though.   I am not a "blockbuster" movie guy for the most part, so take my opinion with a grain of salt anyway.  Until I read the OP, I haven't bothered to look at what is in the theater this summer.  Of the stuff flying under the radar, the only one that look interesting to me are The Nice Guys (heard it's bad), Neon Demon, and The Infiltrator - so I agree, not much. (I am not interested in any of them enough to pay to see them in the theater)  If you are specifically looking for the R-rated action movies like from the 80s, I agree again - I don't think they bother with them for the most part, as now an R rating is damn near the kiss of death at the box office. 

And I disagree that movies are made better now. Just because they use computers and green screens, many of the action films of the 80s were better than stuff they do now because the action looks more real. I'm sorry but whenever Capt America or an X Men or one of these guys starts fighting it looks like a cartoon/video game much of the time.

Oh, I am not saying that.  I might hate GCI more than anybody on these boards.  That said, the Cpt America movies (at least the last 2) have damn good action in them.  But yes, I could do without the way 1/2 the other stuff out there looks in the genre

Ever watch Thief by Mann? 1981 film, maybe his first and you get to see exactly the methodical way and heaviness he creates just getting absorbed into the action of the actor or what they are doing, even if it is just taking a measurement for a future action, it's done with a purpose. 

Yes, and I agree that it's good.  But that is the style of movie now that if it was released would have a 2 week run and hit DVD in a couple months. 

I also think the 80s does a far better job of blending music with film like Flash Dance in 1983. Many of the musicians in the 80s had their work either featured in films or were sought out to incorporate songs. Because of MTV, you had musical montage at times in films, some didn't work so well but some did and it was a breakthrough in film. 

Yeah, that died out for the most part.  There are no soundtracks to push as nobody is buying music anymore.

I know you are big into the last 15-20 years, you have a thread devoted to it, deeply respect your view of film, maybe this is just a terrible summer for me looking at films. And I simply highlighted 1982, there are some big summers ahead in the 80s. How many movies are released in the last 5-10 years where despite some eye popping numbers due in large part to rising ticket prices and films going into 4,000 screens vs 1,200-1,500 max in the 80s most of the time, how many of the more recent films will be classics they talk about for decades to come?

We won't know that for awhile, and not sure what my answer would be off the top of my head.  That is usually more for people growing up on the stuff to decide anyway.  I guess what I am just saying is that I disagree 100% if somebody says there are no good movies coming out now.  I will agree that they aren't making the same type of movies (or at least they aren't releasing them during the summer months), but that is our fault and a product of how we consume our movies now.  Not sure what thread it was in, but I was looking at a comparison of top grossing movies from 20+ years ago vs now.  Everybody consumed movies in the theaters, so you saw a variety in the box office winners - you had everything from Pretty Woman to Ghost to Beverly Hills cop 2 to Home Alone to Jurrasic Park.  I think i looked at the top 30 grossing movies from this decade, and 26 or so were sequels, remakes, and comic book movies.  IMO that is a direct factor of what I said before- ticket $ and home set ups.  The more the top $ makers look like that, the more of that they are going to pump out in the theaters over the summer. 

And I agree with you that there are a lot more things to choose from now, dilutes everything. 

Ministry of Pain said:
May ‘82

Conan the Barbarian: Depends on what your taste in film but this is easily the best of anything ever done in this genre. Pt.2 was a dud although you can appreciate it’s campiness but in this one they crucify Arnold into an actual living tree, James Earl Jones ups the acting value and the cinematography is really good in this.

The Road Warrior MM2: Are you kidding, back to back weeks and you unleash both of these films? Most folks like this  one the best out of the first trilogy. It only made $24M at the box office. Granted, back then movies cost less than $5 to go see but this got more legs on HBO to be honest. I bet that’s how many of you saw it who were under 12 when this was released.

June ‘82

Poltergeist: The 1st one scared the hell out of people especially kids as this somehow snuck out a PG rating. That clown in the closet...run Carol Anne RUN!!!

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan...same weekend no less when it was released. Most folks feel this is the best of all the movies in this franchise.

E.T. is released the very next week and would go on to rack up $440M at the box office, maybe less on it’s 1st go but it stayed in theaters for months, maybe thru Christmas and the following Oscar season. I don’t think anyone born 1990s and beyond understands what it’s like for a movie to be so dominant for months and talked about repeatedly in the news.  

The last weekend in June would see 2 films that did not make a lot of money but would go on to become major cult classics and talked about for decades.

Blade Runner with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer turning in amazing performances.

The Thing with Kurt Russell and I watched this just a couple months ago and was surprised just how good this John Carpenter film was.

July/Aug ‘82

Tron

Might have over-quoted a bit, but the point is clear: that's an insane Murderer's Row of speculative fiction to hit the screen over one summer. And a great number of original screenplays, as well -- back then, they were more willing to take risks on material that didn't come with built-in fandoms.

Always kinda felt bad for the E.T. film and character. Yeah, it was a big deal and made a ton of 1982 money. But something limited its cultural impact, and I never could put my finger on what it was. The ill-conceived Atari game couldn't have been enough. So strange that by 1985, for sure, E.T. was pretty much forgotten about -- he should have been a lasting character in pop culture.

MOP, allow me to respectfully add two films to your OP's fine list: Night Shift and Last American Virgin both came out in summer '82.

I know we could do this all day with adding '82 movies and all ... but those two are cultural touchstones for a lot of people.

MOP, allow me to respectfully add two films to your OP's fine list: Night Shift and Last American Virgin both came out in summer '82.

I know we could do this all day with adding '82 movies and all ... but those two are cultural touchstones for a lot of people.

I haven't seen it in years so I don't know how it holds up, but Night Shift holds a lot of fond memories for me.  

"edible paper"

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

I've nailed him so many times on Youtube 80s clips I sometimes end them with Mike Breen's 3 pt BANG!

It's taken me a long time to realize how young some of these posters are in here though and I'm sad it doesn't seem funny to them. 
You guys need to update your notebooks. 

Fast Times at Ridgemont High...

Classic but I can see how it wouldn't translate well to younger generations
Since it happens to contain the best movie scene ever in the history of man I fail to see how anyone can say this.

Is this where I can go off the rails and talk about how much I hate Kevin Cline?  Luckiest MFer in the universe.

Since it happens to contain the best movie scene ever in the history of man I fail to see how anyone can say this.

Is this where I can go off the rails and talk about how much I hate Kevin Cline?  Luckiest MFer in the universe.

Fast Times at Ridgemont Hight - Showed it to my 19 yr. old son who doesn't take to much of anything made prior to the last few years and he liked it.  

He was wondering why the mall was so popular though ... :(

Fast Times at Ridgemont Hight - Showed it to my 19 yr. old son who doesn't take to much of anything made prior to the last few years and he liked it.  
I have a typical 17 year old and I know he'd like most of these.  All hold up pretty well (except perhaps Tron).  Wife would kill me for showing him Best Little Whorehouse, Porky's, and Fast Times, but those three are extra special awesome.  Just watched Fletch - he thought it was great (and it is).

I have a typical 17 year old and I know he'd like most of these.  All hold up pretty well (except perhaps Tron).  Wife would kill me for showing him Best Little Whorehouse, Porky's, and Fast Times, but those three are extra special awesome.  Just watched Fletch - he thought it was great (and it is).
I love this movie....I could watch it over and over and it never get's old. 

It was an awesome year. 

Road Warrior and ET are 2 of my all time favorites, and plenty of other good films, too!

I was on a date (yes, I'm that old) when I saw the Road Warrior. My date kept saying "this is terrible" and I kept saying No Way, this GREAT!".

Ministry of Pain said:
Poltergeist

Blade Runner 

The Thing 

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Here are the good ones on your list.  Poltergeist is solid, albeit unspectacular.  It has some cool moments, like the clown.  Blade Runner is overrated and the book is better, but again, it's solid.  The Thing is spectacular -- the only reason why it's not John Carpenter's best film is because of the incandescent Halloween.  The Wall is okay and makes for interesting viewing if you're a fan of the album.  Fast Times is brilliant and will go down as both a fantastic period piece and also as an example of a novice director absolutely nailing a cast of no-names.

He was wondering why the mall was so popular though ... :(
Raise your hand if you use to meet chicks at the mall? I think I had my first actual make out at a mall, well behind the mall but still. 

Here are the good ones on your list.  Poltergeist is solid, albeit unspectacular.  It has some cool moments, like the clown.  Blade Runner is overrated and the book is better, but again, it's solid.  The Thing is spectacular -- the only reason why it's not John Carpenter's best film is because of the incandescent Halloween.  The Wall is okay and makes for interesting viewing if you're a fan of the album.  Fast Times is brilliant and will go down as both a fantastic period piece and also as an example of a novice director absolutely nailing a cast of no-names.
Blade Runner, The Thing, Fast Times, can watch all 3 right now back to back to back no problem. I think the ones I listed for the most part are considered classics or cult classics and all the same year. I can't just pull this many out of every year, in fact as I remember looking there might be one more year that will compare to this overall group. 

Also Fletch is timeless. Except for newspapers being relevant. And the Lakers being relevant. And country clubs. And Tim Matheson.

But the movie is still awesome.

Also, Fast Times is just meh. It's not a good comedy in any measurable way. It's just a movie. Like Dazed and Confused. It's just happens. That one scene is the saving grace but you could just Google that and save yourself the confusing history lesson of wth was wrong with kids that grew up in the 80s.

Also, Fast Times is just meh. It's not a good comedy in any measurable way. It's just a movie. Like Dazed and Confused. It's just happens. That one scene is the saving grace but you could just Google that and save yourself the confusing history lesson of wth was wrong with kids that grew up in the 80s.
Yeah but...doesn't anybody knock anymore?

Spicoli cussing out Hand is pretty righteous. 

I hope you had a helluva piss btw...

I looked a couple of months ago and I think all of the top 10 grossing films every year are either sci-fi blockbusters, cartoons, or some big budget film.  The last small budget drama to crack the top 10 was American Beauty.  It was made for $15 million and grossed $356 million.  

If I had to pinpoint where things changed it was 1993's Jurassic Park.  The top 10 in 1993 was filled with low budget dramas and comedies and then Jurassic Park just dwarfs them all with its budget and gross.  

Jump two years to 1995 and suddenly big budget films are all over the place with Die Hard With a Vengeance, Waterworld, Batman Forever, & Goldeneye, 

By 2000, the small budget drama was dead.

Here you go, MOP.

• Every year Hollywood churns out dozens of movies.
  • Most are forgettable 
  • Some are absolutely horrible
  • Maybe 2 or 3 are timeless classics
  • Some are "mindless fun"
  • Usually the ones that make the most money simply appeal to the LCD
  • We typically have a more favorable view of movies we enjoyed as children.
  • This applies to 1932 or 1982 or 2012

Might have over-quoted a bit, but the point is clear: that's an insane Murderer's Row of speculative fiction to hit the screen over one summer. And a great number of original screenplays, as well -- back then, they were more willing to take risks on material that didn't come with built-in fandoms.

Always kinda felt bad for the E.T. film and character. Yeah, it was a big deal and made a ton of 1982 money. But something limited its cultural impact, and I never could put my finger on what it was. The ill-conceived Atari game couldn't have been enough. So strange that by 1985, for sure, E.T. was pretty much forgotten about -- he should have been a lasting character in pop culture.
Of the 8 films you listed, 3 were adaptions of literary works and 2 were sequels.  Not exactly original material.

Users who are viewing this thread