What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Netflix Original: Stranger Things (1 Viewer)

I have just finished episode 3...Creepy.

I got goosebumps when the mom was communicating with Will using the christmas lights. When she asked if he was safe and he flashed "No" then when he spelled out R..U..N. 

And I couldn't tell if the body from the lake was Will, Barb or somebody else. I am sure they will show up in the next episode.

Also, will Matthew Modine say more than one word?

VA703 said:
Anybody check this out? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/

Finished it last night. pretty good sci fi thriller/horror

definitely worth a watch if you were into moves like It Follows and Dreamcatcher
Question- it's rated tv14. I have a pretty mature 12 y.o. son who really wants to watch this. He loves the x files and shows like "Bones" (he's a science dork, loves that part of crime type shows). Is this show too adult? I'm not sure how to judge some of these Netflix originals ratings.

tia

Question- it's rated tv14. I have a pretty mature 12 y.o. son who really wants to watch this. He loves the x files and shows like "Bones" (he's a science dork, loves that part of crime type shows). Is this show too adult? I'm not sure how to judge some of these Netflix originals ratings.

tia
id say its on the scale of x files with a few parts being a tad more scary than regular tv for a 12 yo. but honestly I think he'd be fine..you can tell when the scary parts are coming so he can turn away or whatever

id say its on the scale of x files with a few parts being a tad more scary than regular tv for a 12 yo. but honestly I think he'd be fine..you can tell when the scary parts are coming so he can turn away or whatever
Thanks VA, I've been leaning towards letting him watch it. He reads a lot, and has probably read worse. (He wants to start reading Stephen King, and is stoked that there is an upcoming x files book series)

What's funny is that I looked on commomsensemedia.com , which takes ratings from parents and teens and comes up with an average age for shows. It lists "better alternatives " for each show. The first alternative listed was E.T.  :no:  the second alternative that they feel is better? The original Poltergeist. :eek:  Way to narrow that down for me, lol.

tia
I would suggest watching the first episode yourself and make the decision. 

tia
Mild cussing by the kids, girl shows a bra to her boyfriend before making out, probably more scary than anything.  I would compare to Poltergeist (the original).

Episode 5 Come on!  :rolleyes:

Sure Nancy, call out to Jonathan once then crawl through the creepy tree (obviously the gateway Mike and his friends are looking for).

And also, why hasn't the government just killed Hopper? They can make up all kinds of excuses and his deputies would probably by it. You can't get away with punching CIA security.

Other than small problems here and there, I am digging it 

Finally finished, I give it a B+

Things I liked

Acting was all very good. I think Dustin was my favorite character.

Liked that Steve redeemed himself, bought Jonathan a new camera and ended up with Nancy and not her with Jonathan.

It was short, but loved that Holly was affected by the monster. I thought for sure that it would be the mom.

Didn't like: The ineptness of the Government. Papa said 6 people went missing and they didn't quarantine the town (like Super 8 or even Close Encounters). It was too easy for Hopper to break into that place.

And why was Hopper led away in the black car? I thought he was gone for good.

start square parenthesis spoiler, end square parenthesis then the spoiler stuff then start square parenthesis, /spoiler end square parenthesis

start['spoiler]' test /spoiler

wow u cant delete posts anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks VA, I've been leaning towards letting him watch it. He reads a lot, and has probably read worse. (He wants to start reading Stephen King, and is stoked that there is an upcoming x files book series)

What's funny is that I looked on commomsensemedia.com , which takes ratings from parents and teens and comes up with an average age for shows. It lists "better alternatives " for each show. The first alternative listed was E.T.  :no:  the second alternative that they feel is better? The original Poltergeist. :eek:  Way to narrow that down for me, lol.
Man King stuff is more adult than what I read now and I'm in my 30s. "IT" is like super vulgar. 

Watching it with my family and only on Ep. 3 but what just jumps out is wow, there are a lot of unattractive people in this.  You would think there would have cast some/any eye candy in this. 

Man King stuff is more adult than what I read now and I'm in my 30s. "IT" is like super vulgar. 
Sorry, last post on this as I don't mean to derail the thread. But no, he wouldn't be reading anything he wants from King. Salem's Lot wasn't bad, and I can't recall the name right now, but King wrote a book for his daughter in the middle grade reading range that is supposed to be fine. Agreed that some stuff is way too heavy, even for some adults, haha. 

Sorry, last post on this as I don't mean to derail the thread. But no, he wouldn't be reading anything he wants from King. Salem's Lot wasn't bad, and I can't recall the name right now, but King wrote a book for his daughter in the middle grade reading range that is supposed to be fine. Agreed that some stuff is way too heavy, even for some adults, haha. 
Eyes of the Dragon, probably.

Episode 5 Come on!  :rolleyes:

Sure Nancy, call out to Jonathan once then crawl through the creepy tree (obviously the gateway Mike and his friends are looking for).

And also, why hasn't the government just killed Hopper? They can make up all kinds of excuses and his deputies would probably by it. You can't get away with punching CIA security.

Other than small problems here and there, I am digging it 
Yeah that moment was pretty eye rolling. Still enjoying it though.

Phenomenal show. Caught lightning in a bottle with the cast. Fun, frightening, emotional, nostalgic, fast pace, great story. Can't wait for season 2.

Binge watched it Saturday night. Felt like a cross between ET and Hannah.

Thought the kiddie pool deprivation tank was dumb. 

:confused:   It was set in the 80's.
I think he's saying that it nails the whole vibe- even from production value of the musical score and graphics.

I'm 3 or 4 in and loving it. tough to do shows around kids without one of them screwing things up, but the writing has been great (even when paying homage to the 80s style shows/films) and the overall story and telling of it has been great too. looking forward to watching the rest... and season 2 (which I read today will be in the works).

one thing- it does convey the 80s, but that anorexic girl really distracts me (in spite of some decent acting). not in a good way.

I think he's saying that it nails the whole vibe- even from production value of the musical score and graphics.

I'm 3 or 4 in and loving it. tough to do shows around kids without one of them screwing things up, but the writing has been great (even when paying homage to the 80s style shows/films) and the overall story and telling of it has been great too. looking forward to watching the rest... and season 2 (which I read today will be in the works).

one thing- it does convey the 80s, but that anorexic girl really distracts me (in spite of some decent acting). not in a good way.

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, loved the instrumental sound track - could play this on a loop:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_rC-495Z_A

Oh, and the anorexic sister also distracted me - especially with the crinkle in the forehead puppy dog look.  Wasn't sure if she was confused, sad, or constipated.

Also here is a spotify mix of the "real" songs:  https://open.spotify.com/user/spotifybrazilian/playlist/2AC0NDk9k3a880PsMI0JDh

badmojo1006 said:
Great article and spot on with what I was thinking, especially as the season wraps up and he goes billy badass on the monster with the wannabe Lucille bat.

Apple Juice said:
Phenomenal show. Caught lightning in a bottle with the cast. Fun, frightening, emotional, nostalgic, fast pace, great story. Can't wait for season 2.
Absolutely.

Friend of a friend is responsible for the soundtrack.  One of the first things that struck me as awesome as I started watching. 

Great article and spot on with what I was thinking, especially as the season wraps up and he goes billy badass on the monster with the wannabe Lucille bat.

Absolutely.

Friend of a friend is responsible for the soundtrack.  One of the first things that struck me as awesome as I started watching. 
Exactly, when the opening credits started playing with that music, I swear The Terminator was going to crash through the screen. It was almost spot on to the original Terminator movie

Absolutely.

Friend of a friend is responsible for the soundtrack.  One of the first things that struck me as awesome as I started watching
Big fan of the songs picked for this, as it was right in my wheelhouse as a music/new-wave/post-punk nerd back then. the Hero's cover in the 3rd or 4th episode gave me chills- amazing.

don't want to get too OPM sad-trombone here, and I'm hopefully wrong (and it doesn't really hurt the story-telling anyways)... but I don't think all of the songs picked were from 1983 or before. much to the wife's annoyance, I keep finding myself saying "wasn't that from a couple years later?".

Users who are viewing this thread