What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Netflix Original: Stranger Things (1 Viewer)

I still like it. The biggest problem the series has, IMO, is that when the kids were younger they actually seemed more natural on-screen than they do now. Now many of them seem like they’re trying to act. Maybe that’s because I’m just more likely to look passed kid awkwardness than teen awkwardness. 

And I’ll disagree that S1 was horror. S1 was a coming of age mystery more than horror or even sci-fi. In fact, the whole show is more coming of age/relationship than it is anything else. At least, that’s what it is when it’s at its best IMO. The other stuff is window dressing that makes it fun and helps move the plot along, but what made season 1 the best (again IMO), is that it was the season where all of the relationships seemed real. You could easily believe that they were really just a group of friends that stumbled into a crazy adventure and were muddling their way through while trying to figure out the regular world too. Seasons 2 and 3 have suffered when they have tried to force relationship plot devices too much or been too heavy handed.

This is a guilty pleasure for me. Is it high quality writing? No but it is entertaining. My son loves it and that's good enough for me. When I showed him the teaser he said "I knew it, I knew he was in Russia." He's pumped again. Long wait but we'll be watching. 

I still like it. The biggest problem the series has, IMO, is that when the kids were younger they actually seemed more natural on-screen than they do now. Now many of them seem like they’re trying to act. Maybe that’s because I’m just more likely to look passed kid awkwardness than teen awkwardness. 

And I’ll disagree that S1 was horror. S1 was a coming of age mystery more than horror or even sci-fi. In fact, the whole show is more coming of age/relationship than it is anything else. At least, that’s what it is when it’s at its best IMO. The other stuff is window dressing that makes it fun and helps move the plot along, but what made season 1 the best (again IMO), is that it was the season where all of the relationships seemed real. You could easily believe that they were really just a group of friends that stumbled into a crazy adventure and were muddling their way through while trying to figure out the regular world too. Seasons 2 and 3 have suffered when they have tried to force relationship plot devices too much or been too heavy handed.
i said s1 played more to a horror angle ... i never flat out called it "horror", but, of the 3 seasons, yeah ... it was definitely the much more malevolent vibe.  

agreed on the rest of your take on s1, though ... they were interesting characters to build the story around, and i felt the right balance was struck between character flesh and main storyline ... s2&3 went too far off in building schtick rather than suspense. 

i enjoyed them, but felt no urgency to keep going, like i did when i binged s1 in one evening, and was pissed that it was over. 

i think it cliffed, which is no great slag, seeing as how s1 was one of the best experiences i've ever had from a series initial season ... it was some lofty digs to live up to, and i firmly believe 2&3 fell way short of their predecessor.

i said s1 played more to a horror angle ... i never flat out called it "horror", but, of the 3 seasons, yeah ... it was definitely the much more malevolent vibe.  

agreed on the rest of your take on s1, though ... they were interesting characters to build the story around, and i felt the right balance was struck between character flesh and main storyline ... s2&3 went too far off in building schtick rather than suspense. 

i enjoyed them, but felt no urgency to keep going, like i did when i binged s1 in one evening, and was pissed that it was over. 

i think it cliffed, which is no great slag, seeing as how s1 was one of the best experiences i've ever had from a series initial season ... it was some lofty digs to live up to, and i firmly believe 2&3 fell way short of their predecessor.
This is basically where I am coming from too, and IMO Stranger Things ties into my argument with Jdogg about the quality of TV shows currently.   Sure, there are individual seasons of shows that are great, but to me it mostly feels like they have about a season and a half of good ideas and they fall off and become mostly OK.  Stranger Things did just that for me.  Yeah, like insein said - the son still digs it and watches, so I will watch along with him and it's fun in that sense, but I stopped being pumped for new episodes about mid way through S2.  

s1 was phenomenal viewing ... it had a much darker and malevolent vibe to it ... was claustrophobic and foreboding, all while still giving whimsical nostalgic winks to the era - it was genius.  

whereas s1 played more to a horror angle, s2&3 played to straight up fantasy gobbledy#### ... it definitely lost steam, and the character schtick was foisted over coherence of catastrophe.

if that's a minority view, so be it .... but does anyone here really think they came even remotely close to s1 brilliance in s2&3?
Dude, a lot of the audience watching is teen age girls. Nobody is forcing you to watch.

Dude, a lot of the audience watching is teen age girls. Nobody is forcing you to watch.
What does your view of the demographic of the show have to do with his post?  He loved the 1st season, just thought it fell off.  

Judging by a lot of the posts in the movie and TV threads, most things are targeted to teens, so anybody who is not that should just be quiet and dong think about it.  

i forced myself to watch it, hoping it would resonate again as brilliantly as s1 did ... no dice.   i might even toss a modicum of belief to your demographic opine, especially for s2&3, ergo, my assertion that it cliffed miserably as a result. 

s1 had a plausible danger to it ... felt like any of the characters could be offed any minute - not to mention the claustrophobic urgency and desperation in scenes like Winona going bat#### with the lights, and reading the "morse code" ... it was palpable, an "edge of your seat" thrill ride, and, man ... did it zoom waaayyyy the eff up when 11 hit the scene (MBB is an incredibly gifted young lady).

i never thought any of the cast was safe, the plot armour had yet to be fitted, so it was as if you were actually down n' dirty with all of them fighting the terror.    oh, and Modine was one fantastic heel ... the whole season zipped and zoomed perfectly.    top 5 i've ever sat through. 

s2&3?  meh, the plot armour arrived, all they key players were suited to a tee ... sure, they may be put in precarious situations, but ya know they're gonna come out the other side ... the plausibility factor was blown to bits in favor of schtick and ridiculously tired tropes.  SAD!

i sat through, mostly by attrition ... s2 took me a couple weeks to finish, s3 took roughly a month - whereas i blew thru s1 in one evening - it hooked me, that opening episode grabbed me the same way GoT s1e1 did - that's pretty high praise.  

so, ya see ... i loved it - and part of my derision regarding the subsequent seasons is based on the fact that i wanted to love them, as well - but they failed. 

prolly won't catch s4 ... they have milked this ##### to death ... that teat is bleeding from over wrought suckling.

What does your view of the demographic of the show have to do with his post?  He loved the 1st season, just thought it fell off.  

Judging by a lot of the posts in the movie and TV threads, most things are targeted to teens, so anybody who is not that should just be quiet and dong think about it
this ^

This is basically where I am coming from too, and IMO Stranger Things ties into my argument with Jdogg about the quality of TV shows currently.   Sure, there are individual seasons of shows that are great, but to me it mostly feels like they have about a season and a half of good ideas and they fall off and become mostly OK.  Stranger Things did just that for me.  Yeah, like insein said - the son still digs it and watches, so I will watch along with him and it's fun in that sense, but I stopped being pumped for new episodes about mid way through S2.  
Networks and content producers have neither the courage nor the artistic integrity to end a successful show that’s run its course, especially when they reach that point after one season.  I’m in no position to blame them, as I would surely do the same in their shoes. Some stories can be told in full in 8 or so one-hour sessions.  But if it’s popular and profitable, they will always keep making it.  

I loved season 1, tapped out midway through season 2.  It should go without saying, but like all forms of entertainment it’s a personal preference thing. I totally understand the appeal.  If my son or wife were interested in the show, I would definitely be watching with them. He can’t handle the scary bits and she’s just not interested in the show. 

Last edited by a moderator:
in my mind and hey who really wants to be in there but anyhow in there if you cant just sit back and have a good time watching this show then brohans its time to figure out where the hard left turn in your life that led off of the path of awesome happened and retrace your steps back to that point and get back on the path of the brohan take that to the bank bromigos 
Brohan, if I am feeling nostalgic for the 80s, I will just watch some 80s ####, not a subpar show that has to remind me how cool the 80s were.  Take that to the bank.  
anyone who would capitalize brohan aint worth listening to on the subject take that to the bank bromigos 

I think there's three "flavors" of 80's horror each season of Stranger Things mirrors.

Season 1 is a straightforward Poltergeist/The Fog type.

Season 2 is more horror-comedy in the Gremlins/Creepshow vein.

Season 3 is closer to camp like Night of the Creeps or Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Another analog would be Evil Dead 1 & 2/Army of Darkness.

One can't be blamed if the tone just didn't sit quite right for one or more seasons of Stranger Things.

I think there's three "flavors" of 80's horror each season of Stranger Things mirrors.

Season 1 is a straightforward Poltergeist/The Fog type.

Season 2 is more horror-comedy in the Gremlins/Creepshow vein.

Season 3 is closer to camp like Night of the Creeps or Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Another analog would be Evil Dead 1 & 2/Army of Darkness.

One can't be blamed if the tone just didn't sit quite right for one or more seasons of Stranger Things.
S4 weekend at Bernies!

Does anyone know if this was/is already in the can or did their shooting get halted like everyone else?

The only show I've watched in years due to being recommended to me by many friends do my personal history of paranormal events.

Finally got around to binging in January.

Started out fine with real world events that someone did research on but then they hit hyperspace along the way.

Now I've vested too much time not to finish and I heard they were going to release next season soon but now????

Does anyone know if this was/is already in the can or did their shooting get halted like everyone else?

The only show I've watched in years due to being recommended to me by many friends do my personal history of paranormal events.

Started out fine with real world events that someone did research on but then they hit hyperspace along the way.

Now I've vested too much time not to finish and I heard they were going to release next season soon but now????
according to my ST obsessed 14 year old daughter, yes, filming was going on but obv was halted. I'll try and get more info when she gets up.

Willing to share?  I got nothing but time. :popcorn:

Requires different thread or forum.  Not sure this is the place.
Understood.  Man, I bet if you started a thread it would be extremely popular.  I would understand if you don't want to deal with the nay-sayers, but I for one believe in the paranormal/supernatural.  Would love to read about your experiences, even if in a pm.

Bracie Smathers said:
Requires different thread or forum.  Not sure this is the place.
There was a UFO thread somewhat recently (last year or so) and iirc, an FFA appeared to be living in a haunted house thread- can't remember the guy...but that one may have been a decade plus ago.

facook said:
Understood.  Man, I bet if you started a thread it would be extremely popular.  I would understand if you don't want to deal with the nay-sayers, but I for one believe in the paranormal/supernatural.  Would love to read about your experiences, even if in a pm.
It, however you want to describe IT is not about me. 

I would contribute if something that got started was well received but beyond the physical (meta = beyond) and beyond  the normal (para = beyond) is a real thing that we are all involved whether we realize or not. 

Some are aware and others are not.  Some react negatively to what they fear or do not believe/understand.  

We see pop culture venturing in but as we see/saw with ST they only go so far and then can't or won't go any further and start to make it about the characters or go for a heavy layer of Hollywood cheesy flavor of the week or go hillbilly shotgun squatch'n or some other theater of the absurd,

There was a UFO thread somewhat recently (last year or so) and iirc, an FFA appeared to be living in a haunted house thread- can't remember the guy...but that one may have been a decade plus ago.
Saw that thread and how it got no traction.  One of my first 'encounters' was second-hand from a famous case that made local printed news which happened 12 doors down from where I grew up with a teacher who had a 3rd kind interaction that goes way beyond a sighting.  Me and my little sister passed her house a few times every day to-and-from school.  I saw physical evidence in that case.  A decade later I had first of what would be numerous sightings.  It goes a lot further than that and people freak at something so simple as a sighting.  They do and it can be too much for them so...

It, however you want to describe IT is not about me. 

I would contribute if something that got started was well received but beyond the physical (meta = beyond) and beyond  the normal (para = beyond) is a real thing that we are all involved whether we realize or not. 

Some are aware and others are not.  Some react negatively to what they fear or do not believe/understand.  

We see pop culture venturing in but as we see/saw with ST they only go so far and then can't or won't go any further and start to make it about the characters or go for a heavy layer of Hollywood cheesy flavor of the week or go hillbilly shotgun squatch'n or some other theater of the absurd,

Saw that thread and how it got no traction.  One of my first 'encounters' was second-hand from a famous case that made local printed news which happened 12 doors down from where I grew up with a teacher who had a 3rd kind interaction that goes way beyond a sighting.  Me and my little sister passed her house a few times every day to-and-from school.  I saw physical evidence in that case.  A decade later I had first of what would be numerous sightings.  It goes a lot further than that and people freak at something so simple as a sighting.  They do and it can be too much for them so...
Fwiw... I mentioned in the UFO thread my HS classmate (not close, but I always liked and had deep respect for the guy- decent and straight shooting as well as very funny), James Fox. James has been doing really interesting UFO research for a long time, with several projects/docs out there. He talks to everybody, and made a point to include as many officials and pilots- airforce and commercial- who might "appear" to the lay person more credible for seeing these things than the random person down the street (not a dig at you at all- and not trying to discount your or anybody's story...paraphrasing how he described it last time I saw him many years ago). He said he didn't go into this work with an agenda- was just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Google shows he has a new doc out- phenomenon. I'd recommend checking him out...get in contact to share your stories if you like.

Fwiw... I mentioned in the UFO thread my HS classmate (not close, but I always liked and had deep respect for the guy- decent and straight shooting as well as very funny), James Fox. James has been doing really interesting UFO research for a long time, with several projects/docs out there. He talks to everybody, and made a point to include as many officials and pilots- airforce and commercial- who might "appear" to the lay person more credible for seeing these things than the random person down the street (not a dig at you at all- and not trying to discount your or anybody's story...paraphrasing how he described it last time I saw him many years ago). He said he didn't go into this work with an agenda- was just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Google shows he has a new doc out- phenomenon. I'd recommend checking him out...get in contact to share your stories if you like.
I saw that and know you have good intention but I would never go to MUFON or researchers who take reports that value pilots or military personnel as 'reputable'.  They have an agenda.  My intuition has never sought out people who put themselves in a position to determine what I've experienced and label it less reputable than some pilot or someone wearing bars on their shoulders.

We all know military so we know they don't have any more credibility than the rest of us and I know a great commercial pilot who I've never shared a single story with nor will I ever.  If he brings it up then yeah but I'm not going to bring it up.  He's a fantastic pilot but he's no more reputable than a non-pilot.  Researchers value the wrong things like nuts and bolts and 'reputable' sources.  Experiencers tend to be more focused on validation or shared experiences. 

I saw that and know you have good intention but I would never go to MUFON or researchers who take reports that value pilots or military personnel as 'reputable'.  They have an agenda.  My intuition has never sought out people who put themselves in a position to determine what I've experienced and label it less reputable than some pilot or someone wearing bars on their shoulders.

We all know military so we know they don't have any more credibility than the rest of us and I know a great commercial pilot who I've never shared a single story with nor will I ever.  If he brings it up then yeah but I'm not going to bring it up.  He's a fantastic pilot but he's no more reputable than a non-pilot.  Researchers value the wrong things like nuts and bolts and 'reputable' sources.  Experiencers tend to be more focused on validation or shared experiences. 
I've done James a disservice here in the words I've used that may or may not be misremembered.

I genuinely believe he is approaching this without an agenda, and is getting as many POVs as possible. The pilots' pov may have resonated with me, and not from him, as being more "reputable" to the general public non-believer. And these are commercial as well as military- James's background is from a time and place that is more likely to question, not trust, the status quo and gov/military. And pilots' truthfulness are no different than anybody else- of course. But they're the ones up in the sky more than anybody else...military pilots at higher altitudes...so yeah- they're all with more opportunity to see things up there than the rest of us ...seems pretty obvious.

I know that he's literally gone all over the world to talk to and see all kinds of people and evidence (he was on his way to Australia when I last saw him). Please don't discount this guy because of my poorly worded and likely wrong account of his approach.

I've done James a disservice here in the words I've used that may or may not be misremembered.

I genuinely believe he is approaching this without an agenda, and is getting as many POVs as possible. The pilots' pov may have resonated with me, and not from him, as being more "reputable" to the general public non-believer. And these are commercial as well as military- James's background is from a time and place that is more likely to question, not trust, the status quo and gov/military. And pilots' truthfulness are no different than anybody else- of course. But they're the ones up in the sky more than anybody else...military pilots at higher altitudes...so yeah- they're all with more opportunity to see things up there than the rest of us ...seems pretty obvious.

I know that he's literally gone all over the world to talk to and see all kinds of people and evidence (he was on his way to Australia when I last saw him). Please don't discount this guy because of my poorly worded and likely wrong account of his approach.
The thing people fail to understand is that 'you' don't accidentally see something.  'IT' (however you wish to define IT) allows you a peak.  

That is the baseline.

If you are placed on a map  and don't know your starting point then you are lost and that is every 'researcher' who approaches this subject from a false starting point.

Is Season 3 as bad as it appears it will be based off of the first two episodes?

I thought Season 1 was great, and while 2 was a bit too hokey at times, it was still highly enjoyable.  I finally got around to starting 3 this weekend and the first two episodes were not good. Seems like the show jumped the shark badly in a hurry.

Is Season 3 as bad as it appears it will be based off of the first two episodes?

I thought Season 1 was great, and while 2 was a bit too hokey at times, it was still highly enjoyable.  I finally got around to starting 3 this weekend and the first two episodes were not good. Seems like the show jumped the shark badly in a hurry.
see my posts from a few months ago ... this thing cliffed big time, i slept thru most of s3 - i was slammed for that opinion (save for Floppo), of course, but just know you're not alone - and also know it doesn't get better as we progress thru this useless season - oh, and Caleb's lil' sister is ranked slightly above eating cat #### with a knittin' needle/self performed root canal ...

... slightly

:coffee:

ETA: i still think s1 ranks right up with the best of 'em. 

s2 was good, but not on par

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven’t had Netflix in about a year. Staying at a place this week with Netflix and wife and I have binged S3.

Very disappointed with S3. We couldn’t stand the constant attempts at humor, especially at times of “great crisis”. 

Will watch S4 only because we are in to deep to not see it through. Don’t know how they can bring this back up but hoping S4 is closer to S1 then S3. 

Haven’t had Netflix in about a year. Staying at a place this week with Netflix and wife and I have binged S3.

Very disappointed with S3. We couldn’t stand the constant attempts at humor, especially at times of “great crisis”. 

Will watch S4 only because we are in to deep to not see it through. Don’t know how they can bring this back up but hoping S4 is closer to S1 then S3. 
Wow......S1 is of course the best. But I thought S3 was far better than the letdown that was S2. 

Starting to feel like this either isn’t going to end up coming back or it’s going to be really weird because the kids are yet another year older after filming some of the season pre-Covid and some not yet filmed.

Were there any monsters in that teaser?  It was pretty stroberific there and I might have missed it.

Have the kids qualified for their AARP membership yet?
Lolz.  Next season (Season 5) is the confirmed last season.  Can't imagine it'll take 3 years in between like 3 to 4 with no 18 month COVID break.  Gotta think the age thing hopefully doesn't get too far away from them. 

Users who are viewing this thread