What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you now an "Orphan"? (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
was chatting with an iFriend recently who lost a parent and I commented that I am not that old, but no longer have parents or grandparents living.  was just curious how many other FBGs may be in the same boat.  i don't really think about it or dwell on it much, life is what it is, but i don't feel i come across many people in the same boat.  it comes up during holidays, including mothers and father day, but i don't think people grasp the concept when i say, i have no family.  in a way it feels liberating, if that sounds odd. 

- I'm an orphan, okay?

- You're a what?

- I'm an orphan.
- Orphan?

- Yeah, an orphan! You're a little too old to be an orphan.
- No, if you don't have parents you're an orphan.
- You could be 70 and be an orphan? You could be 100 and be an orphan!

- You can't be 100 and be an orphan.
- Yeah, you can! 
- Little orphan Funkhouser.

- Let me ask you something One of the things that bothers me a lot in life, Is when ice cream drips down the side of a cone.
- Doesn't that bother you? That's why you have to be very vigilant when you're eating ice cream cones.
- Look, there's a little drip.

was chatting with an iFriend recently who lost a parent and I commented that I am not that old, but no longer have parents or grandparents living.  was just curious how many other FBGs may be in the same boat.  i don't really think about it or dwell on it much, life is what it is, but i don't feel i come across many people in the same boat.  it comes up during holidays, including mothers and father day, but i don't think people grasp the concept when i say, i have no family.  in a way it feels liberating, if that sounds odd. 
No wife/kids/siblings/cousins? 

Both still alive. I'll be devastated when the inevitable comes, can't imagine thinking of it as liberating. 
No parents or grandparents.   The liberating part I get.   Parents look over your shoulder your whole life.   Many people are afraid to let them down or are concerned with what they do because how it will reflect on their parents.   When they are gone there is none of that.  

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother was adopted. Does that count? Not sure if he has ever been interested in finding birth-parents.

Since the age of 17.  I see friends having to deal with aging parents and it's hard to relate.  I envy them for all the time they have had with them (good and bad).  That is something I will never have.   

I laughed in my oldest sister's face when she bemoaned being an orphan when our father died (our mother died 3 yrs before that). I guess this is how she made our father's death (at age 87) all about her. :facepalm:

Legal Definition of orphan

1. :  a child deprived by death of one or usually both parents; broadly :  a child without a parent or guardian

I barely knew my grandparents on my father's side and they were both dead by the time I was 5. Grandfather on my mother's side was dead by the time I was 7 and grandmother when I was 12. Mother died when I was 11. Dad died 13 years ago and I wasn't really close with him so it wasn't too big of a deal. His wife died a few years ago...good riddance. Wife is totally opposite. Her grandparents lived "forever", she just lost the last one a couple years ago at the age of 95 and her parents, who are both in their late 70s are still alive. It's tough seeing them get old and need more help with daily activities. Wife was majorly depressed when her grandparents died. Losing her parents will be crushing.

I have no concept how not having any family would be liberating.
I should say liberating from the standpoint of your relationship with your family.  not every family is TV-esque.  never knew a grandfather, so grandmothers only.  one of them was bi-polar (mother's side), the other was a nasty cruel mean bitter woman (father's side).  my dad has been gone 35 years and my mom was complicated, putting me consistently in bad spots as an only child.  too lengthy to fully describe.  honestly, not having to deal with petty family drama that many people go thru is fine by me. 

Users who are viewing this thread