What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Trek Beyond: Opens Friday: Good reviews so far (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
The new Star Trek movie opens this Friday and is doing very well with the reviewers running at a very solid 94% on Rotten Tomatoes after 47 reviews counted.

Best Buy has a deal with several Trek Boy Rays that are $8 and come with an $8 voucher to Beyond.

Even if you already have them, might as well get them and give away.

Looking forward to Beyond :popcorn:

I have a bad feeling this may be the last new Trek movie.

Going Thursday night. Can't wait.

Best Buy has a deal with several Trek Boy Rays that are $8 and come with an $8 voucher to Beyond.

Even if you already have them, might as well get them and give away.

Looking forward to Beyond :popcorn:

Why do you think that?

I enjoy the Star Trek universe more so than the Star Wars one.  No JarJar nor Ewoks.  You do have Tribbles to deal with, but they were kind of cool.  I think the first two new Trek movies have both been great.

They are already in pre development for number 4.  JJ was just interviewed and he said they are discussing different ideas for how to handle Anton's death in real life and said they won't recast the roll as one of the choices for number 4.

Pine and Quinto signed new deals late last year to continue with the franchise.

As long as this does not bomb, I think number 4 in 2019ish is an almost certainty.

They are already in pre development for number 4.  JJ was just interviewed and he said they are discussing different ideas for how to handle Anton's death in real life and said they won't recast the roll as one of the choices for number 4.

Pine and Quinto signed new deals late last year to continue with the franchise.

As long as this does not bomb, I think number 4 in 2019ish is an almost certainty.
Oh, I didn't know that. Fears assuaged!

The few reviews I read said it was an entertaining film but "soulless." Basically Fast and the Furious set in Space, which is not surprising considering the new guy directing it is from the Fast & The Furious movies. Simon Pegg wrote this one so there is a lot more comedy in the script as well.

Thought the reboot was so-so and Into Darkness was great, not sure what to think about this one from the trailers. Hard to get past Captain Kirk riding a vintage motorcycle on an alien planet and not start to worry about the Fast & the Furious connection...

I liked the reboot and Into Darkness.  The trailers for this one have looked horrible though.  They had a totally different tone than the trailers for the first two so I'm wondering if that tone carries over the movie with the new F&F director.

I'll see it anyway, but not going in with as high of hopes as I had for the last two.

Very excited.  I might not catch it this weekend, but definitely at least by the week after.

I was also unaware that a 4th was planned - I was assuming this to be the last too, considering the new series starts next spring.

I've always enjoyed Star Trek, but I find the reboot movies all pretty much suck.  They've got characters with the same names, but it doesn't feel like Star Trek to me.  And the last one was so bad - the only good thing in it was the blatant Alice Eve objectification shot.  

I liked what they did with the first movie because it was about resetting the universe. Into Darkness was a bit too heavy on the fan service for my tastes. And I'm not excited about this one at all. Star Trek wasn't meant to be something like Star Wars or some sort of space action thing. It was supposed to be somerhing more cerebral. Exploration into the unknown and how humanity dealt with discovering new cultures and strange phenomena. The reboots are making it more like that joke Army slogan: "travel to new places, meet new and interesting people and kill them!" with a bit of "blow #### up" thrown in for good measure.

We'll go see it as I have certainly enjoyed all of the in-jokes and action elements, but it isn't really Star Trek, which is why I'm glad it's in a different timeline/universe than the TV shows (including the new one, they've indicated).  I love them both, but one key difference between Star Trek and Star Wars is this: on TOS at least, every control and display on the bridge was important and had a specific function (this was also the case in Star Trek II).  However, no one has ever indicated what any button in the cockpit of the Falcon (except the hyperdrive activator) does.  The Abramsverse Trek movies are like the former, with the bridge of the E appearing more like an Apple store than anything previously shown on TV or in the movies. 

:shrug:    Still fun, though.  Glad it's getting good reviews. 

We'll go see it as I have certainly enjoyed all of the in-jokes and action elements, but it isn't really Star Trek, which is why I'm glad it's in a different timeline/universe than the TV shows (including the new one, they've indicated).  I love them both, but one key difference between Star Trek and Star Wars is this: on TOS at least, every control and display on the bridge was important and had a specific function (this was also the case in Star Trek II).  However, no one has ever indicated what any button in the cockpit of the Falcon (except the hyperdrive activator) does.  The Abramsverse Trek movies are like the former, with the bridge of the E appearing more like an Apple store than anything previously shown on TV or in the movies. 

I understand your complaint but you have to acknowledge the difference between a 120 minute movie and a TV series like TOS that had 3555 minutes.   You can take your time and make things clear in a TV series slowly episode after episode.  It is much more difficult to take that level of time in a movie without destroying any sort of flow in the movie.

No they weren't. 90% of that stuff was just made up BS. Just look at the way Chekov or Sulu bang their hands on the controls anytime they go somewhere.  Or half the bull#### Spock did at his console.

I understand your complaint but you have to acknowledge the difference between a 120 minute movie and a TV series like TOS that had 3555 minutes.   You can take your time and make things clear in a TV series slowly episode after episode.  It is much more difficult to take that level of time in a movie without destroying any sort of flow in the movie.
Not at all.  Wrath of Khan (the real one) had extensive scenes of total Enterprise-pr0n.  The Kobayashi Maru sequence, the entire sequence on the bridge from the detection of the Reliant to Scotty arriving on the bridge holding his nephew, and then the Mutara Nebula scene all had *incredible* detail on the bridge (and as a bonus, there were Reliant bridge scenes as well).  By contrast, the Abramsverse movies have thus far treated the bridge like a white-colored, blindingly-lit afterthought, with lens flares and guys selling iPads in the background, and no detail whatsoever to what anyone is doing.  Spock and Uhura barely ever even sit down.    

No they weren't. 90% of that stuff was just made up BS. Just look at the way Chekov or Sulu bang their hands on the controls anytime they go somewhere.  Or half the bull#### Spock did at his console.
The actors didn't necessarily use the buttons correctly (and so what if they did?), but many of them (including at the communications console and at the library computer station) were actually labeled, and the screens at the consoles surrounding the captain's chair had written detail on them that can now be seen on the remastered DVDs and BluRay.  But it's not just a question of what the buttons did or what the displays indicated; it's dialogue explaining that, for example, the vampire cloud in "Obsession" would not be stopped by the deflectors.  The cat-and-mouse game between the E and the Klingon ship in "Friday's Child."  The amazing technical details discussed on BOTH ships in "The Doomsday Machine."  Just three examples right off the top of my head.  None of this goes on in the Abramsverse.  And that's fine.  I'm just sorry to see it become more like Star Wars in that respect.  Star Wars does Star Wars just fine.     

The actors didn't necessarily use the buttons correctly (and so what if they did?), but many of them (including at the communications console and at the library computer station) were actually labeled, and the screens at the consoles surrounding the captain's chair had written detail on them that can now be seen on the remastered DVDs and BluRay.  But it's not just a question of what the buttons did or what the displays indicated; it's dialogue explaining that, for example, the vampire cloud in "Obsession" would not be stopped by the deflectors.  The cat-and-mouse game between the E and the Klingon ship in "Friday's Child."  The amazing technical details discussed on BOTH ships in "The Doomsday Machine."  Just three examples right off the top of my head.  None of this goes on in the Abramsverse.  And that's fine.  I'm just sorry to see it become more like Star Wars in that respect.  Star Wars does Star Wars just fine.     
Again though, movie vs TV show. Compare apples to apples. The TOS movies had no more detail than what's offered in the new ones.

The first reboot of this was pretty much about as good as it could have been. Funny, well written, perfectly cast, great stuff. 

Second one was really good, not as good as first.

Hoping this one is closer to first one, will be happy if it's just good.

I still need someone to explain to me why the schematic of the Reliant that we see a display of on the bridge doesn't look like Reliant.

Did they change the design?

bcdjr1 said:
I liked what they did with the first movie because it was about resetting the universe. Into Darkness was a bit too heavy on the fan service for my tastes. And I'm not excited about this one at all. Star Trek wasn't meant to be something like Star Wars or some sort of space action thing. It was supposed to be somerhing more cerebral. Exploration into the unknown and how humanity dealt with discovering new cultures and strange phenomena. The reboots are making it more like that joke Army slogan: "travel to new places, meet new and interesting people and kill them!" with a bit of "blow #### up" thrown in for good measure.
I enjoy all version of Star Trek, but the bold is how I feel about these recent movies.  They aren't Star Trek movies, they are Action Movies in the Star Trek universe.

Not at all.  Wrath of Khan (the real one) had extensive scenes of total Enterprise-pr0n.  The Kobayashi Maru sequence, the entire sequence on the bridge from the detection of the Reliant to Scotty arriving on the bridge holding his nephew, and then the Mutara Nebula scene all had *incredible* detail on the bridge (and as a bonus, there were Reliant bridge scenes as well).  By contrast, the Abramsverse movies have thus far treated the bridge like a white-colored, blindingly-lit afterthought, with lens flares and guys selling iPads in the background, and no detail whatsoever to what anyone is doing.  Spock and Uhura barely ever even sit down.    
none of those scenes explained how they used every button on the bridge which is what you originally claimed.

I still need someone to explain to me why the schematic of the Reliant that we see a display of on the bridge doesn't look like Reliant.

Did they change the design?
:lol:   I love that too.  Would have been so cool if they had changed that display.  I know they were very worried about audience confusion, which is why they had Khan dispense with the "battle stations" lighting. 

I think this link will work - the score is being played live (or was just played live; not sure which night it was to happen) at the film's premiere at Comic-Con. 

The scores by Michael Giacchino for the first two Abrams ST movies have been fabulous. 

I thought the first reboot had some "cerebralness" to it.  The second one less so but still some.  This one looks like just straight action, though that may just be the trailers.

I am OK with action as longs as they mix the two.  These are movies after all, even TOS and TNG movies alternated between cerebral and action.  I think the potential disappointment in this one being all action partially stems from them teasing that they may be heading in a different direction at the end of the last one with the mention of the 5 year mission.  Seemed like a bit of fan service to tell trekkies that everything was going to be OK.  Then they potentially do F&F in space afterwards...

I enjoy all version of Star Trek, but the bold is how I feel about these recent movies.  They aren't Star Trek movies, they are Action Movies in the Star Trek universe.
Well what was Star trek II, III, IV, V, VI...when was it not like this?
Oh they all have action in them, I just feel those were more story driven (not saying all great stories) with action, as opposed to action with a background story.

Oh they all have action in them, I just feel those were more story driven (not saying all great stories) with action, as opposed to action with a background story.
You're letting nostalgia cloud your memory.  2 was your basic revenge outsmart the bad guy plot. 3 was a pretty big mess. 4 was essentially a long episode. 5 was awful.  6 was good but again a paint by numbers murder mystery.

The 1st reboot felt plenty trekkie to me.  It was story with action not the other way around.  The 2nd was moving more towards the action direction, but was still as much a story as Wrath of Kahn was.

The trailers in both of those reflected that.  They were story driven, serious slow orchestral music, etc.  The 3rd trailer is rap music and car chases while they advertise "from the director of Fast and Furious".  Not sure if that means the movie will be the same but there was essentially nothing about story in any of the trailers.

The 1st reboot felt plenty trekkie to me.  It was story with action not the other way around.  The 2nd was moving more towards the action direction, but was still as much a story as Wrath of Kahn was.

The trailers in both of those reflected that.  They were story driven, serious slow orchestral music, etc.  The 3rd trailer is rap music and car chases while they advertise "from the director of Fast and Furious".  Not sure if that means the movie will be the same but there was essentially nothing about story in any of the trailers.
Enterprise crashes on an alien planet. Crew is captured. Hot alien babe. Some nameless bad guy who's ### Kirk has to kick. It's not Shakespeare but again, there's as much story as the first 2. In fact, it might be the first if the new ones to branch out in a non safe direction.

You're letting nostalgia cloud your memory.  2 was your basic revenge outsmart the bad guy plot. 3 was a pretty big mess. 4 was essentially a long episode. 5 was awful.  6 was good but again a paint by numbers murder mystery.
5 is kinda bad. I remember seeing it at the $1 theater. 

1 was pretty much a straight copy of the NOMAD episode.

Still, 5 was BRUTAL (would have enjoyed the Uhura strip scene more before she was like 70). I liked 4, when Spock did a little too much LDS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolutely.  While I'm not old enough to say I saw TOS in its first run (I was 2), I've been watching Star Trek from an early age.  When you look back at the older movies, nostalgia does hold sway.  Wrath of Khan came out when I was in high school and I saw it on this past week.  I told my wife, "it's 34 years old and  I know (spoiler alert!) Spock comes right back in the next movie, but watching him die and Kirk Eulogize him is still hard to watch."

The TOS movies are all campy, but you have to take them for what they were in their time.  The same can be said for all the series.

I've never watch the Fast & Furious movies, but I understand the reference as I have seen clips.  They are very busy action movies.  I've seen one of the Transformer movies and it was too busy for me.  I couldn't keep up with all the action at one time.  Not a fan.

Don't misunderstand any of my comments, I will be seeing this and all subsequent Star Trek movies in the theater.  It's Star Trek, I'm in.

Also, anyone else get the station H&I?  I was browsing the guide and saw that starting on Sunday July 24 they are showing the first episodes of each iteration of the series.
8pm - TOS: The Man Trap
9pm - TNG: Encounter at Farpoint part 1
10pm - DS9: Emissary part 1
11pm - Voyager: Caretaker part 1
mn - Enterprise: Broken Bow part 1

2 was MUCH more than that.

3 has probably the ultimate Trek sequence - Stealing The Enterprise

4 was just plain fun.

5&6 are pretty much unwatchable.

I was hoping that with the reboot they would be revisiting TOS stories with a few twists and surprises in them or perhaps combine elements of a couple episodes in an original story.  That doesn't appear to be happening though.

I'll wait until it comes out on DVD or goes to HBO

Any word/leaks about Idris Elba's character?  Just noticed him in recent previews and his character seems bitter toward Starfleet.  Maybe we're getting a Heart of Darkness-style story, like Coppola did with Apocalypse Now? 

Any word/leaks about Idris Elba's character?  Just noticed him in recent previews and his character seems bitter toward Starfleet.  Maybe we're getting a Heart of Darkness-style story, like Coppola did with Apocalypse Now? 
Have not seen any spoilers, but one review I read said his motivations are revealed fairly late in the film (this particular reviewer said it was too late to really matter beyond "I am the bad guy"), not sure if there is a wink-wink tie-in with the original series in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread