What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tater Tot Eating Contest (1 Viewer)

Nugget

Footballguy
So I and 11 other fools are in a Tater Tot eating contest:

[SIZE=12pt]The rules and guidelines for the Tot Off are as follows:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Contestants will have 3 minutes to eat as many tots as possible. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Tots will be provided in standardized increments, pre-weighed by the Leeway Franks staff and served in paper "boats". Scoring will be measured by the number of 1 pound "boats" consumed by the contestant, less the weighed amount of tots remaining. For example, if a contestant finishes their first 1 pound boat and part of the second 1 pound boat, the tots remaining will be weighed and subtracted from 1 pound to determine the total weight of tots consumed. If 1/2 pound of tots remain in the second boat, their score would be 1.5 total pounds of tots consumed.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants will be provided with water.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants must use their hands to deliver tots to their mouths (no “pouring” of tots from the paper boats).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants must keep their tots down for a full 5 minutes for their score to be counted. Those who are unable to keep their tots down (i.e. regurgitate) within the 5 minute window will not have their scores counted.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants must sign the waiver (attached) prior to competition.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Above all, have fun![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The winner of the Tot Off will receive a specialty trophy, Leeway Franks swag, Leeway Franks gift certificate and bragging rights.[/SIZE]

What is the best way to maximize tater tot consumption for a 3 minute period?  

Gotta think drowning them in water and swallowing instead of chewing all of the tots.

Good luck, report back!

So I and 11 other fools are in a Tater Tot eating contest:

[SIZE=12pt]The rules and guidelines for the Tot Off are as follows:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Contestants will have 3 minutes to eat as many tots as possible. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Tots will be provided in standardized increments, pre-weighed by the Leeway Franks staff and served in paper "boats". Scoring will be measured by the number of 1 pound "boats" consumed by the contestant, less the weighed amount of tots remaining. For example, if a contestant finishes their first 1 pound boat and part of the second 1 pound boat, the tots remaining will be weighed and subtracted from 1 pound to determine the total weight of tots consumed. If 1/2 pound of tots remain in the second boat, their score would be 1.5 total pounds of tots consumed.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants will be provided with water.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants must use their hands to deliver tots to their mouths (no “pouring” of tots from the paper boats).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants must keep their tots down for a full 5 minutes for their score to be counted. Those who are unable to keep their tots down (i.e. regurgitate) within the 5 minute window will not have their scores counted.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Contestants must sign the waiver (attached) prior to competition.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Above all, have fun![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The winner of the Tot Off will receive a specialty trophy, Leeway Franks swag, Leeway Franks gift certificate and bragging rights.[/SIZE]

What is the best way to maximize tater tot consumption for a 3 minute period?  
Is this up in Lawrence? And when?

That's a short 40 minutes from me. Might have to go check this out and heckle you.

try putting some spicy siracha sauce on them then you might not win but you will have a zesty meal and be the champion of your stomachs heart take that to the using your head bank bromigo 

Three minutes isn't very long so I don't think you have to worry about being full or being unable to get more down. Just go as fast as you can and try to stay a half "boat" ahead of your competition. Then pray your body makes it to 5:01 before all that oil makes you  :X  all over (didn't we used to have an actual "puke" one?)

Take the entire boat-load of tots in your hands, squeeze into ball, douse in water, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.  Repeat.

Is this up in Lawrence? And when?

That's a short 40 minutes from me. Might have to go check this out and heckle you.
It is Saturday in Lawrence and should start around 5:00.  Near 9th and Iowa - same shopping center as the Merc and Munchers Bakery.

Thinking about getting a t shirt made with a Castor Oil message as a nod to the classic eat off in Stand By Me.

It is Saturday in Lawrence and should start around 5:00.  Near 9th and Iowa - same shopping center as the Merc and Munchers Bakery.

Thinking about getting a t shirt made with a Castor Oil message as a nod to the classic eat off in Stand By Me.
That would be epic. Put it below a pic of a blueberry pie

I would avoid the water, and just chomp until your jaw breaks

you see my avatar? study it take notes goodluck

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of the one food eating competition I was in, a Taco Bell soft shell competition between innings at a minor league baseball game.  Just me and two other people.  I had been eating Taco Bell tacos for a long time, and knew they go down so easy.  Three bites and they are done.  I sit down with the other two contestants.  The woman says "I don't really like Taco Bell, but I wanted the attention."  The guy looks to be more competition.  He's a little bigger, obviously had a few tacos in his day.  He can tell I'm sizing him up and he says "don't worry, I'm not really hungry."  Well, I'm not going to fall for that rope a dope, so I get myself ready to chow down.

They stack a pile of a dozen tacos or so in front of each of us.  On go, I am focused and chomp off the first third of taco number one.  It goes down easy like I was 18 again and skipping the last hour of school go to the Bell with a buddy.  It slides down after a couple of chews, and I take another bite.  Down goes the first one, but I feel my pace is too slow.  I change my strategy and decide to take these down in two bites.  I chomp taco number two in half.  My mouth is a little more full, so it takes a few more chews before I can try to swallow.  I rush and swallow too soon.  This is an eating competition though, so I have to power forward.  I shove the second half of taco #2 into my mouth while the remnants of bite #1 still remain.  Big mistake.  My mouth is now completely full of food, and then it hits.  I start to choke and cough.  They don't count if it comes back up, so I try to suppress the gag reflex.  Chewing is a struggle with a mouth full of food, but now I have to completely chew to get anything down at this point.  As I struggle to keep chewing, I open up taco number three from the wrapper.  

At this point, my progress is stuck.  My jaw doesn't want to chew any more and my throat certainly has quit on me.  Between muffled coughs (I'm pretty sure snot is coming out of my nose at this point, and probably have half chewed tacos down my face), I decide to take a look at my competition.  The woman, holding a taco with one small bite taken out of it is looking up and waving to her friends in the stands.  The guy, looking at me with incredulity, has about a half taco gone, and looks to be eating with the pace of a lazy Sunday picnic.

I press on, finally getting taco number 2 completely down, and again shove half of taco #3 into my mouth.  "Chew the whole thing first" I tell myself, now older and wiser.  But, before I can even finish that half, the buzzer sounds and it is all over.  Champion of the taco eating contest, with a whopping 2 1/2 tacos, was yours truly.  My prize for this epic achievement was a years supply of taco bell tacos, which I could get in either hard or soft shell, whatever my pallet preferred.  Stood and proudly accepted my certificate for.....12 tacos.  Yes, Taco Bell apparently considers 12 tacos a "years supply."

Lesson learned?  Eating competitions are not for me. 

Stood and proudly accepted my certificate for.....12 tacos.  Yes, Taco Bell apparently considers 12 tacos a "years supply."
:D

Semi-related, I was once at a charity event and purchased at auction a prize co-sponsored by Pizza Hut and Blockbuster (yeah, this was a long time ago). It was a DVD player and a bunch of DVDs (and other Blockbuster goodies) plus a "year's supply of pizza from Pizza Hut".

When I went to collect the prize, there were indeed 52 "free pizza" gift cards from Pizza Hut, which is--to me--a very reasonable representation of a year's supply of pizza. No worries.

The problem? The charity event was in late October and the gift cards all expired on 12/31.  :eek:

But it all ended well. I knew a guy who was a teacher for a low income school. I gave him the cards and he distributed them to all his students before Christmas so each family could have a free pizza during the holidays.

It was either be charitable or eat my body weight in cheese. I decided to be a good person. Once.  :unsure:

:D

Semi-related, I was once at a charity event and purchased at auction a prize co-sponsored by Pizza Hut and Blockbuster (yeah, this was a long time ago). It was a DVD player and a bunch of DVDs (and other Blockbuster goodies) plus a "year's supply of pizza from Pizza Hut".

When I went to collect the prize, there were indeed 52 "free pizza" gift cards from Pizza Hut, which is--to me--a very reasonable representation of a year's supply of pizza. No worries.

The problem? The charity event was in late October and the gift cards all expired on 12/31.  :eek:

But it all ended well. I knew a guy who was a teacher for a low income school. I gave him the cards and he distributed them to all his students before Christmas so each family could have a free pizza during the holidays.

It was either be charitable or eat my body weight in cheese. I decided to be a good person. Once.  :unsure:
Noble move.  If I had been under 30 at the time, I would have had zero problem consuming 52 pizzas in 2 months plus.  Granted, I might not have ever wanted to pay for Pizza Hut again, but I would have "gotten my moneys worth."

You're either there for a snack or to win. In between is loser country. And that's where losers are from. 

Take the entire boat-load of tots in your hands, squeeze into ball, douse in water, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.  Repeat.
SERIOUS ANSWER:
Sort of that... you want to compress air out of food like this when eating.. but taking time to take giant bites will slow you down.  If this was 1 or 2 minutes, swallowing would be less of a concern/limitation. Considering this is a 3min contest, you'll want to portion your mouthfuls that you can efficiently chew/swallow them.

A few days before, make some tots at home and mash them together (not too tight!) to find a good size for you to be able to pop it in, chew once or twice in order to break it into 1-2 big swallow-size chunks in your mouth, and get them down the hatch, A swig of water will help get stuff down. If you're jamming your mouth so full that you can't chew, and struggle to swallow portions of that chunk, you'll lose.

At the competition, let your hands do some of the pre-work by sizing/wadding your portions.  I'm anticipating the ideal size to be slightly bigger than a golf ball.. fill your mouth most of the way but leave room to chew/swallow... likely will form 2-3 of these per boat.  

Keep an eye on the clock, and try to swallow & clear your mouth with 10 sec or so to go, then ram as many tots into your mouth as you can hold and worry about chewing/swallowing the monstrosity once the timer has expired. I'm assuming standard "in the mouth at buzzer and it counts" eating contest rules apply here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Noble move.  If I had been under 30 at the time, I would have had zero problem consuming 52 pizzas in 2 months plus.  Granted, I might not have ever wanted to pay for Pizza Hut again, but I would have "gotten my moneys worth."
Wife and I were at a cancer benefit and won a wheelbarrow full of booze($10 raffle)

Seriously 73 bottles of booze, of course my SIL was living with us then, so it was gone in a couple weeks.

SERIOUS ANSWER:
Sort of that... you want to compress air out of food like this when eating.. but taking time to take giant bites will slow you down.  If this was 1 or 2 minutes, swallowing would be less of a concern/limitation. Considering this is a 3min contest, you'll want to portion your mouthfuls that you can efficiently chew/swallow them.

A few days before, make some tots at home and mash them together (not too tight!) to find a good size for you to be able to pop it in, chew once or twice in order to break it into 1-2 big swallow-size chunks in your mouth, and get them down the hatch, A swig of water will help get stuff down. If you're jamming your mouth so full that you can't chew, and struggle to swallow portions of that chunk, you'll lose.

At the competition, let your hands do some of the pre-work by sizing/wadding your portions.  I'm anticipating the ideal size to be slightly bigger than a golf ball.. fill your mouth most of the way but leave room to chew/swallow... likely will form 2-3 of these per boat.  

Keep an eye on the clock, and try to swallow & clear your mouth with 10 sec or so to go, then ram as many tots into your mouth as you can hold and worry about chewing/swallowing the monstrosity once the timer has expired. I'm assuming standard "in the mouth at buzzer and it counts" eating contest rules apply here. 
I am going to go scout the tots.  I'll try to get some pics and report back.

So I am going to head over in about 2 hours and get the lay of the land. Reading about tater tot consumption on the Internet has me concerned about vomiting. I think I am going to pace myself and try for 1.5 to 2 lbs.  I think the people over 2 pounds won't be able to keep the oil down for 5 minutes.   I am also going to try to smash them into the paper boat to try and transfer some of the oil into the container. 

I didn't die, but I am not very comfortable. 3rd place.  Will post more later. Will also report on the turds. 

It didn't look like the guy who won had any secret technique, other than using water to get the somewhat chewed tots down.

It didn't look like you were even trying. 
It was harder than I thought.  I was using my hands to smash them together and trying to sip water. I don't have a super chomping jaw as a special ability. 

I really, really didn't want to get DQ'd by puking.  I don't like the taste of vomit. 

Users who are viewing this thread