What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the appropriate move here - not charged for trash service (1 Viewer)

What is an appropriate payment/action here given the situation?

• Pay nothing for the past service, it was their fault, just pay going forward

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Pay for the current year only, then pay going forward

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Pay for the past two years worth of service, then pay going forward

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Pay for the past 4 years worth of service, then pay going forward

• Other - make witty reply below

• Total voters

acarey50

Footballguy
Background is that quite a few years ago, I'm guessing at least 6 years or so ago, our city changed who they contracted trash service with. The previous contractor was all billed through the city, just came in on our bi-monthly water,sewage, etc. type bill from the city. Apparently the new company bills directly. Either way, one of those things that I never noticed, just assuming that all was the same.

Fast forward all these years and my wife calls the company to arrange some large item pick ups. Low and behold, company realizes they were never billing us directly and we have essentially been receiving trash service for free.

What's the right thing here as far as what, if anything, I should have to pay for the missed services?

Part of me says this issue is on them and they should just go ahead and start billing me going forward. However, part of me does say, yes, we have been receiving this service, so I should pay something reasonable for what was received.

What say you FFA - what is reasonable and right here?

It is their screw-up but right thing is still to pay for the services received IMO.

And sleep with someone's trashy wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, just pay the bill going forward.  It will be interesting if they send an invoice for services rendered. 

Are they going to bill you for past services? If so negotiate a lower settlement.

Don't be surprised when you refuse to pay and they return all your trash.  In fact, do this please, I'd love to see the pics.

Onus is on them, if you knew you were getting a free ride that'd be one thing.... but it was their f-up.

Are you asking ethically, what should i pay?  Or are you asking how much we think they can get away with making you pay?

It is their screw-up but right thing is still to pay for the services received IMO.

And sleep with someone's trashy wife.
Duly noted, however it'll probably be my trashy wife that I sleep with.    :angry:

Punch your wife in the boob. 
Can I do that while doing the above?

ya, just pay the bill going forward.  It will be interesting if they send an invoice for services rendered. 

Are they going to bill you for past services? If so negotiate a lower settlement.

Are you asking ethically, what should i pay?  Or are you asking how much we think they can get away with making you pay?
For the above 3, what they told us is that their normal policy is to bill back for up to 4 years of service, which I thought was a bit absurd. They said though that they would cut us a deal and only bill for the last 2 years of service. 2 years of service works out to just under $400 that they want to bill us for. Thus why I put the 4 year and 2 year option in the poll.

Ethically, I do believe we should pay something, but on the same note, it's not like we were stealing. We just put our trash out like everyone else - if we weren't a paying customer, then they should have skipped our house and we'd have resolved it then. But, in a sense, they chose to provide the service even though we were not a customer. I'd like to try look at it as them providing a free trial, albeit an extended one, before we decided to buy the service. So far the majority of voters seem to indicate it was their mistake, we should not be on the hook for it.

My wife is going to be talking with one of their sales managers about it. I personally feel like settling for paying for the YTD and obviously paying going forward is a fair compromise. 2 years still seems a little excessive, and I fear what may end up in our trash cans if we pay nothing for past service.

I think that if you really didn't notice you weren't being billed, it's not your fault and you shouldn't be held to pay for a year or years of past service.  It's a monthly (or quarterly) charge and their administrative error shouldn't require you to now cough up a big lump sum.  

Duly noted, however it'll probably be my trashy wife that I sleep with.    :angry:

Can I do that while doing the above?

For the above 3, what they told us is that their normal policy is to bill back for up to 4 years of service, which I thought was a bit absurd. They said though that they would cut us a deal and only bill for the last 2 years of service. 2 years of service works out to just under $400 that they want to bill us for. Thus why I put the 4 year and 2 year option in the poll.

Ethically, I do believe we should pay something, but on the same note, it's not like we were stealing. We just put our trash out like everyone else - if we weren't a paying customer, then they should have skipped our house and we'd have resolved it then. But, in a sense, they chose to provide the service even though we were not a customer. I'd like to try look at it as them providing a free trial, albeit an extended one, before we decided to buy the service. So far the majority of voters seem to indicate it was their mistake, we should not be on the hook for it.

My wife is going to be talking with one of their sales managers about it. I personally feel like settling for paying for the YTD and obviously paying going forward is a fair compromise. 2 years still seems a little excessive, and I fear what may end up in our trash cans if we pay nothing for past service.
I think a two year settlement is fair.

Don't pay them, and then slide your trashcan over to your neighbors on pickup days, alternating or something, and they'll never know. Pay your neighbor in 6-packs.

HTH.

Post a thread here where you solicit advice.  Deride most of the advice as farcical, especially any of it that presents the least inconvenience.  Repeat.   

Users who are viewing this thread