What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Leaked (1 Viewer)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Leaked

I am not sure why the Cowboys seem to leak this information out every year? 

Their draft board is also specifically tailored to which players are the best for them at this point in time. There are many QB ranked on their draft board, so seems clear to me they were looking at the QB position closely and considered many different players as options.

They tier by a draft round grade, that isn't aligned to the actual number of picks in a round of the draft.

Round one (1-16)

Round two (17-40)

Round three (41-66)

Round four (67-92)

Here is how their RB board looked.

Elliot 

Henry 

Perkins 
Howard
Booker

Drake 
Dixon
Prosise

Here is a combined list of RB/WR/TE tiered the same way

Elliot 

Doctson
Coleman
Henry 
Treadwell
Fuller
Hunter Henry

Boyd
Perkins 
Howard
Nick Vannett
Booker
Michael Thomas

Drake 
Pharoh Cooper
Dixon
Prosise
Leonte Carroo
Braxton Miller

Nick Vannett is the biggest surprise to me. He was drafted by the Seahawks in round 3 so they must have had similar grades on him.

The 3rd round grade on Paul Perkins and Jordan Howard is another thing I found interesting. If the Cowboys had not drafted Elliot where they did, then it is possible Perkins or Howard would not have fallen to the 5th round.

Interesting that they had a 2nd round grade on Connor Cook, but took one of their 3rd round grade guys over him when he was available. 

Yeah good observation. If this draft board is for real, they don't seem to be bound by it.

Cook was a higher graded prospect Maliek Collins on their draft board who to be fair was their top ranked guy for the 3rd round prospects. 

I am guessing they felt that Collins was a greater need for them than Cook was? That is the only way it makes sense.

I did spend some time watching the many very good defensive tackle prospects of the 2016 draft. What I was looking for was quickness off the ball and the ability to get penetration as a 3 technique DT because that is a depth need for the Vikings.

I watched a lot of players and Collins stood out to me as a tackle who is quick off the ball and could do well as an under tackle. I would have been pretty happy about it if the Vikings had drafted him. I think they got a good player there.

I am not sure if the Cowboys traded down or were missing a pick somewhere? They didn't have another pick until 135 after they drafted Collins.

If you look at the pick numbers, Cook is listed as pick 4-100 while Collins is listed as pick 3-67 

Based on the pick range, that could mean some different things. This might be where they are predicting other teams will draft the player, or it could be where they want to draft the player. Either way I kind of don't understand what makes Collins tier 3 and Cook tier 2 which the pick floor is higher for Collins. Not having another pick until 135 could have been a factor in their decision, if they thought Cook would fall further in the draft (to pick 100) than Collins (pick 67) then maybe the choice was made based on the chance that Cook had a better chance to fall to them with a later pick, or fall far enough for them to want to trade up. While they didn't see Collins falling as much.

It could just be that they liked enough QB prospects, that they felt comfortable with one them being there for them at pick 135 while they only had a couple other DT that were given a draft grade after Collins.

According to the board they had QB Driskel ranked ahead of Dak Prescott who they selected ahead of him. Driskel was drafted in the 6th round.

Maybe as the flow of the draft begins and trade talks are ongoing, they gathered information about what other teams were doing, and that affected their decision making process as well.

Maybe they don't mind 'leaking' these draft boards because they are not accurate and contain misinformation. Hard to say why they would feel comfortable letting this information be known so openly.

Nevermind all that about the pick range I read it wrong. The first number means the order of draft pick used on the guy in the actual draft and the second number means the pick they were drafted at.

Interesting that they had a 2nd round grade on Connor Cook, but took one of their 3rd round grade guys over him when he was available. 
Not really, you can draft BPA or team needs or a little bit of both.  You might also gamble on how far someone might fall in the draft, especially at the QB position which could be off many team's radar.  Cook was eventually taken just one pick before the Cowboys turn in the 4th round.

More curious is the Raider's acquisition of Cook, especially with a young QB in Carr.   Did Oakland move up, specifically to leap frog Dallas, to acquire him?

I was guessing the 3rd round guy was Nkemdiche, but I guess it could be Shephard. If it is not Shephard that means they had him late 4th at best, behind Cooper and Miller. According to this board, anyway. 

Not really, you can draft BPA or team needs or a little bit of both.  You might also gamble on how far someone might fall in the draft, especially at the QB position which could be off many team's radar.  Cook was eventually taken just one pick before the Cowboys turn in the 4th round.

More curious is the Raider's acquisition of Cook, especially with a young QB in Carr.   Did Oakland move up, specifically to leap frog Dallas, to acquire him?

Yeah, that was just the first case where they took a guy in the tier below when a guy in the tier above was available. If the order within the tier represents their rank, they were only like 5 spots apart anyway, so maybe not so strange. 

I kinda figured Dallas was the team Oakland jumped when it happened since Dallas had brought Cook down for a workout and seemed really interested in adding a QB. Not really sure what Oakland's motives were. Didn't GB develop a couple QBs behind Favre in order to trade them? Maybe that is Mckenzie's idea?

I'm not saying this picture is untrue, but my first thought was:  Why the heck are they Whiteboarding their entire draft?

it's 2016, and this seems way out of touch with technology whereby they could be presenting on 2 walls.  1st wall could show Draft Grades of their wanted guys and the 2nd wall could show the current picks, meaning that they could easily move picked players from their WANT wall to the PICKED wall in seconds.

I'm not saying this picture is untrue, but my first thought was:  Why the heck are they Whiteboarding their entire draft?

it's 2016, and this seems way out of touch with technology whereby they could be presenting on 2 walls.  1st wall could show Draft Grades of their wanted guys and the 2nd wall could show the current picks, meaning that they could easily move picked players from their WANT wall to the PICKED wall in seconds.
The guy(s) writing down the names will remember the spots and probably instantly recall them if
one of the decision makers asks-"that guy drafted by who and when?" Typing isn't the same as
writing-at least for me. They could answer those question(s) before even looking at the board and
a glance would confirm it.

The written in name also stands out on the board-better then a different color. This is probably
how they done this for years and works well for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread