What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pet Insurance for Dogs? (1 Viewer)

whoknew

Footballguy
So I've a 2.5 year old 95 lb. lab/something mix. Steve the Dog.

So for y'all that have dogs, do you buy insurance? Seems like it is about $300 per year. With Steve's size, he'll be lucky to make it to 12 probably. $3000 for the rest of his life? What are the odds I'll spend that much money on a medical procedure? I mean, obviously one torn ligament or cancer diagnosis and it pays for itself. But otherwise, probably not worth it.

Thoughts from other dog owners?

We have it :bag:

we were faced with a hefty financial decision with the last pup, so we just pay this now so we don't even have to consider. 25 bucks a month, really who cares for the peace of mind. 

lI'l try to find the article, but it went through various medical issues and it found very few instances where it was worthwhile. 

I don't have it. Most things I've read is that it's not worth it.
Yea that's kind of what I've read also. But @capella makes a good point. Basically it would be catastrophic insurance which is probably not a good investment. But if the rainy day comes, you don't have to make a monetary decision on whether to save your dog.

I guess that's the analysis.

I would get it - the cost is minimal and all it takes is one incident and it pays for itself. Don't have it with our current dog but if I ever get another I will be getting insurance as well.

I would get it - the cost is minimal and all it takes is one incident and it pays for itself. Don't have it with our current dog but if I ever get another I will be getting insurance as well.
I agree.  That $300 a year number you need to deduct the checkups, teeth cleaning, etc. (likely $100 to $150) a year.  So really it isn't as bad as you think when you start adding up the regular costs to owning a pet that are covered by the plan.  Of course each plan is unique, you'll want to look at what is covered, but there is far worse things to spend $150 a year on.  

Yea that's kind of what I've read also. But @capella makes a good point. Basically it would be catastrophic insurance which is probably not a good investment. But if the rainy day comes, you don't have to make a monetary decision on whether to save your dog.

I guess that's the analysis.
A week before our wedding (literally) we discovered my wife's dog, whom she loved dearly had cancer in both lungs. Before we got the final prognosis I had to make a decision on whether we would pay for surgery or put her down. With all the money spent on the wedding, it wasn't easy. I didn't like being in that position, although it ultimately didn't matter. She wouldn't have lived. 

I had to call my wife at her bachelorette party to tell her. :cry:  

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the deductible?  If your state allows the 3-year rabies vaccine you can save a lot of money by doing your own vaccines at home for everything else, just pick them up at the feed lot.  Was a nice relief at the vet last time knowing I won't have to come back for 3 years.  

ETA: Steve looks like a champ!

So for y'all that have dogs, do you buy insurance? Seems like it is about $300 per year. With Steve's size, he'll be lucky to make it to 12 probably. $3000 for the rest of his life? What are the odds I'll spend that much money on a medical procedure? I mean, obviously one torn ligament or cancer diagnosis and it pays for itself. But otherwise, probably not worth it.

300 seems really low.  I got Trupanion for my puppy.  69 a month with little deductible.  I can easily see spending 10 to 20k over the lifetime of a dog.

Also, with your dogs age there are big flags like they might not cover anything that happens a year from now or preexisting. 

I didn't have insurance for my last dog, one in avatar.  And easily spent the equivalent of a BMW on her.

I agree.  That $300 a year number you need to deduct the checkups, teeth cleaning, etc. (likely $100 to $150) a year.  So really it isn't as bad as you think when you start adding up the regular costs to owning a pet that are covered by the plan.  Of course each plan is unique, you'll want to look at what is covered, but there is far worse things to spend $150 a year on.  
:goodposting:   I don't know all the details because my wife handles all the dog stuff - but I know when I have to pick up one of our shelties from a check up there's no charge (or she's already paid the $15 deductible). I don't know what one we have, but it covers all of the basic stuff.

This actually works if you can find a vet to work with. They just submit a code for human stuff that costs roughly the same as whatever vet treatment you're getting. Plus our guy prescribes stuff like Percocet and Xanax for an extra little tribute on the side. Thanks Obama!
Instead of being a tool.  Take my bet.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
I didn't have insurance for my last dog, one in avatar.  And easily spent the equivalent of a BMW on her.
Yes, same here.

2K for the dog from a top breeder known to have healthy dogs... we got a lemon.

5K to save an eye

1.2K to fix some teeth

1.5K/year for the past 5 years on allergy meds

1K for being attacked by other dogs

1K to fix ear hematoma

1.7K to fix eyelid from Horner's disease.

?? cost for thyroid meds for the past 7 years

That's just the larger medical expenses that I can think of off the top of my head. That doesn't include regular care/maintenance/minor issues etc. etc. and the *many* vet visits in the 200-300 dollar range which I don't even consider noteworthy. I estimated the cost of the dog over the past 9 years is so is in the 30-40K range.

Yep sn

In short, two acl's.   Blew out an ear, and spleen, removed.  All 2k plus stuff.  It took over a 1k before,they knew,it was her spleen.  That is just the big stuff.

I've put about $5k into my dog the last two months. Her spleen stopped working, she had a heart problem, and she was days away from death. 

She's better now, albeit with more prescriptions than a Seinfeld elderly family member (Uncle Leo?). 

I need to look into pet insurance for the next dog. When the vet was talking blood transfusion that was my limit. Wasn't going down that road. 

I've put about $5k into my dog the last two months. Her spleen stopped working, she had a heart problem, and she was days away from death. 

She's better now, albeit with more prescriptions than a Seinfeld elderly family member (Uncle Leo?). 

I need to look into pet insurance for the next dog. When the vet was talking blood transfusion that was my limit. Wasn't going down that road. 
Dog blood panel is like 200, and they want to do it every year.

Get a SSN for your dog. 
I once signed my dog up for the Columbia Record House deal. He got really freaked out about his credit rating when he couldn't cover the cost of an additional CD each month, and it traumatized him for life.

whoknew said:

Kinda like people insurance? If it's discretionary spending and easily affordable for your budget I'd do it.  But being this is FBG and 3 grand is pocket change for everyone here there is no need to have it. 

I like having pet insurance, but in the end, it is likely to be a wash if you self insure.  I have www.24petwatch.com  and pay about 350- annually.  If you put that away for 10 years, obviously you have 3500-.  But, will you put that money aside?  Do you have enough disposable money to cover a major event without hesitation?

It may pay for itself in the last 3-4 years of a pet's life.  My last guy had medical issue pile up towards the end.  6 days at the Vet hospital, with tests, got me for close to 6000-.  I didn't care, but knowing I would get back up to a max of 3000- was helpful.  my guy got bit 2x by dogs and needed some emergency work, which was covered.  I think 350- is worth the peace of mind. 

300 seems really low.  I got Trupanion for my puppy.  69 a month with little deductible.  I can easily see spending 10 to 20k over the lifetime of a dog.
Trupanion as well. Put in many claims and never an issue. Did my research and clearly was the best option and lived up to that. Question comes down to this: do you want to be in a position where you decide financial hit/hardship vs life or quality of life of your dog? I didn't want that decision ever.

I've never done it, but it would have probably been beneficial with our girl before she passed last year. We adopted her at age 5 or 6, and she only lived for two years with us. In those two years she bloated which required surgery ($2200), she had a lump that grew ($800), and then she had heart failure which ended up being her cause of death which probably racked up another $2000 before all was said and done. 

She was worth every penny, but yeah the insurance mighty have helped some with her. 

Chadstroma said:
Question comes down to this: do you want to be in a position where you decide financial hit/hardship vs life or quality of life of your dog? I didn't want that decision ever.
This. We have it because I just never want to have to be in that position. I'm OK with what I'm spending even if nothing big ever comes up.

I've had to spend less than a grand total on each of my dogs over the last 10 years.  Once the one was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 10, it was time to say goodbye.  The other one is almost 11 and no issues despite never going to the vet on a routine basis.  Needless to say, I don't recommend pet insurance.  

Users who are viewing this thread