What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alcohol linked to cancer (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer???

A study to be published in Addiction, a journal for the Society for the Study of Addiction, identifies alcohol as a contributing cause to at least 7 types of cancers.  If that is not enough, The study also claims that previously thought benefits of alcohol for cardiovascular disease can be attributed to confounding factors and should be viewed with skepticism.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.13477/full

Results

The usual epidemiological understanding of a cause is a factor that increases the incidence of a condition in the population. In the context of a body of epidemiological evidence of an association of alcohol consumption with a disease, the inference that it is a causal association requires alternative explanations of the observed finding to be judged unlikely. Even without complete knowledge of biological mechanisms, the epidemiological evidence can support the judgement that alcohol causes cancer of the oropharynx, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon, rectum and breast. The measured associations exhibit gradients of effect that are biologically plausible, and there is some evidence of reversibility of risk in laryngeal, pharyngeal and liver cancers when consumption ceases. The limitations of cohort studies mean that the true effects may be somewhat weaker or stronger than estimated currently, but are unlikely to be qualitatively different. The same, or similar, epidemiological studies also commonly report protection from cardiovascular disease associated with drinking but a high level of scepticism regarding these findings is now warranted.

Conclusions

There is strong evidence that alcohol causes cancer at seven sites in the body and probably others. Current estimates suggest that alcohol-attributable cancers at these sites make up 5.8% of all cancer deaths world-wide. Confirmation of specific biological mechanisms by which alcohol increases the incidence of each type of cancer is not required to infer that alcohol is a cause.

Translation: we have a correlation: we don't need to prove no damn causation. WTF is happening to science?

Wait. Drinking poison that causes your liver to lose function in detoxifying your blood stream can cause cancer?

Wait. Drinking poison that causes your liver to lose function in detoxifying your blood stream can cause cancer?
Obfuscation is greatly underrated... especially when you're an alcoholic.  Thank you, Captain Obvious....liver shudders... :ptts:

Many factors goes into who gets cancer and who doesn't. No one or three things does it. Some peeps do all the wrong things and live forever while some do everything healthy and right and are stage IV. I've seen it over and over in my journey. If you've had cancer or at a high risk of it or of it recurring then good idea to cut down on it if not eliminate it. It's a crap shoot bottom line with this cancer #### but if you want to decrease your chances then the healthy route is the way to go as it is a well known fact that diet is big with regards to all diseases..

Translation: we have a correlation: we don't need to prove no damn causation. WTF is happening to science?
The author builds an argument for evidence around a monotonic dose-response relationship, a rather significant strength of association between 4-7 (depending on cancer type) for consumption of 50 g or more alcohol per day, and a reversibility factor when alcohol consumption ceases.

The author does acknowledge that the exact mechanisms are still somewhat uncertain.  She points out that ethanol, itself, has not been shown to be carcinogenic in animal studies, but discusses how the metabolic processing of ethanol produces carcinogenic products and also suggests alcohol may play a role in facilitating access for other carcinogens. 

Some of us will die from cancer, a lot of us will die with cancer and a few of us unfortunate souls are left unscathed while everyone they hold dear succumbs to one illness or the other. 

There's no cheating the reaper. Roll with it.

At what age did some of you guys cut back on your drinking?  I generally go pretty hard once a week(6+), and drink lightly(2-4) twice a week.  

I'll take the odds of getting cancer of an alcoholic with no family history any day over someone who's got a significant family history of cancer. 

At what age did some of you guys cut back on your drinking?  I generally go pretty hard once a week(6+), and drink lightly(2-4) twice a week.  

28 or so.  I have no moral or health objections to it, it just stopped being so fun around then.    That's not to say it can't still be fun on occasion.  but not as fun as it used to be.  

Some of us will die from cancer, a lot of us will die with cancer and a few of us unfortunate souls are left unscathed while everyone they hold dear succumbs to one illness or the other. 

There's no cheating the reaper. Roll with it.
All true but the benefits of drinking heavily are outweighed by the negatives.  Vaping weed is a much more healthy way to get high than alcohol.

I'll take the odds of getting cancer of an alcoholic with no family history any day over someone who's got a significant family history of cancer. 
One thing that shocked me with breast cancer is it's much more common with no fam history. That's one reason why mine got caught later on is I was thinking it can't be me. No one in the fam and extended fam has/had any cancer. Surprising stat to me.

I believe that between alcohol, smoking, obesity and environmental factors you have the cause of about 50% of all cancers.  That number will go up because i don't think they attributed that much to alcohol as this new study.  

All true but the benefits of drinking heavily are outweighed by the negatives.  Vaping weed is a much more healthy way to get high than alcohol.
Yeah, we know all the long term side effects of vaping weed since people have been doing that for hundreds of years. We previously also thought margarine was healthier than butter, and blood letting was an effective treatment for unknown diseases.

This is overblown. The theory that your liver stops everything to filter booze is a flawed one. 

The one thing it does do is supress release of glucose in response to lower insulin levels, this, may be the real benefit.  

But everything in moderation etc etc. 

This is overblown. The theory that your liver stops everything to filter booze is a flawed one. 

The one thing it does do is supress release of glucose in response to lower insulin levels, this, may be the real benefit.  

But everything in moderation etc etc. 
I'm not referring to drinking causing your liver to preferentially filter alcohol.  I'm referring to cirrhosis. 

“In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
Benjamin Franklin

“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
Ernest Hemingway

“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”
Frank Sinatra

Alcohol is an anesthesia, allowing to overcome the surgery called life"
George Bernard Shaw

"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."
Winston Churchill

"I'll take my chances."
Buzzbait

Users who are viewing this thread