What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me not buy my son a Gibson SG guitar. (1 Viewer)

PIK95

Footballguy
My eleven years old son has been playing the Viola for almost a year, and he is pretty dedicated.  He also plays his uke and has taught himself songs and notes.

He now wants to move on to a real guitar and we are leaning towards a Gibson SG.  I have read the last couple of years that Gibson has fallen off with their quality.  We are going to a guitar shop in Swansea MA today to take a look around.  They were highly recommended by a guitar player in my family.

So what's my move?  Listen and buy from Guitar shop?  Online?  Older SG?  What about an amp and cables?  My son has great dexterity and shreds on Hero.  I'm really excited to see him take up guitar finally. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My eleven years old son has been playing the Viola for almost a year, and he is pretty dedicated.  He also plays his uke and has taught himself songs and notes.

He now wants to move on to a real guitar and we are leaning towards a Gibson SG.  I have read the last couple of years that Gibson has fallen off with their quality.  We are going to a guitar shop in Swansea MA today to take a look around.  They were highly recommended by a guitar player in my family.

So what's my move?  Listen and buy from Guitar shop?  Online?  Older SG?  What about an amp and cables?  My son has great dexterity and shreds on Hero.  I'm really excited to see him take up guitar finally. 
Check out www.reverb.com.  You will find great instruments there.  Once you find something that fits, post the link here and get some feedback.  However, your 11yo might be better off with a 3/4 sized guitar--Martin or Taylor travel for example.  A full sized guitar might be too big for him right now.

MY BAD--I THOUGHT YOU WERE LOOKING AT AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR.  REVERB WILL STILL HAVE THEM BUT DISREGARD THE COMMENTS ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE GUITAR.

I read SG was a great choice for a beginner.  Easy ti play and not heavy like a LeS Paul. Not to mention the excitement factor helps keep them practicing.

Vandy has a point. Of all the guitars I've picked up over the years, the SG is one of the more awkward one's I've played. Seems like a real wide fretboard on it. Might not be the best route to take.

Ask Barry Goudreau of BOSTON if he'll sell you one of his used SGs. He lives right down the road from you and he could probably use the money.

What model and what is your price point. SG's new can run from under a grand to 4-5K.

if you're buying new, you will definitely overpay at a music store, especially for a floor model.

For an 11 year old, I'd look at a PRS SE series new of a Fender Blacktop new. Both are about $600-$700 new online. Unless you're sure your kid is going to committ being the next Eddie Van Halen, no need to shell out over 1K on the guitar itself. Boards, pedals and amps are gonna cost $ in the end too.

Take your son to a guitar shop/store and have him try a few guitars over a few visits.  He needs to find a good guitar that feels best to him.   

Dynasty

Team A gives LeSean McCoy,  Phillip Dorsett, and a 2017 1st (prob late)

Team B gives Devonta Freeman, 2017 3rd, and 2018 3rd

Take your son to a guitar shop/store and have him try a few guitars over a few visits.  He needs to find a good guitar that feels best to him.   
Yes, he should try a few and see what he is able to comfortably hold and play.  I prefer Les Paul's and ES for Gibson's, and Strats over Teles although I can play both.  Gibson SG?  I've NEVER been able to play one.  The neck is too square for me.  Chords and stuff, sure.  But the last time I tried to play a solo on an SG it sounded like Nick Jonas at the AMAs.

Going back several years, the knock I always heard about SGs was you had to find a good one.  They varied quite a bit but if you found a good one, it was very good.  Same with Ibanez (I've-been-hads) iirc.

Regarding buying an 11 y.o. his first electric guitar - I'd find something cheap.  Let him practice for a bit and take lessons before shelling out a grand or more for the guitar, amp, lessons, etc.  Maybe look for a used music store and see if they have any Epiphones.

brohan if there is one thing that swc is the man about around here it is about rockin out so hey if your little guy wants to be a rock god he wants a double neck guitar and it needs to be one where the necks are pairalel to each other not one of those lame mike batio things where the necks go in different directions i am talking full on jimmy page crank it up to 11 kiss the first rows ear drums goodbye asskickatude basically that dude could play twinkle twinkle little star on a double neck with a harmony pedal engaged and it would be so fn epic dude just do it and while you are out pick up some strobe lights and have a talk with him about the birds and the bees cause hes gonna need it when hes kneed deep in the ladyfolk take that to the bank 

brohan if there is one thing that swc is the man about around here it is about rockin out so hey if your little guy wants to be a rock god he wants a double neck guitar and it needs to be one where the necks are pairalel to each other not one of those lame mike batio things where the necks go in different directions i am talking full on jimmy page crank it up to 11 kiss the first rows ear drums goodbye asskickatude basically that dude could play twinkle twinkle little star on a double neck with a harmony pedal engaged and it would be so fn epic dude just do it and while you are out pick up some strobe lights and have a talk with him about the birds and the bees cause hes gonna need it when hes kneed deep in the ladyfolk take that to the bank 
Killing me!  

Dynasty

Team A gives LeSean McCoy,  Phillip Dorsett, and a 2017 1st (prob late)

Team B gives Devonta Freeman, 2017 3rd, and 2018 3rd
McCoy side and it isn't close. Freeman only has one-year of elite production and has Coleman biting at his heels.

McCoy side and it isn't close. Freeman only has one-year of elite production and has Coleman biting at his heels.
Who cares if Freeman helps lead you to a title?  McCoy sure isn't and the rest was fluff IMO.

Who cares if Freeman helps lead you to a title?
The 338 touches he had last year just seems like a lot for a guy I've never known to be physically imposing. He won't sniff 14 touchdowns this year, imo.

I'm cautious about him repeating last year with concerns he might catch an injury. I just don't think he's anything special but he does get two soft defense in the Bucs and Saints that make up 1/4 of his schedule.

Last year will be his career year. Sell high, imo.

The 338 touches he had last year just seems like a lot for a guy I've never known to be physically imposing.

I'm cautious about him repeating last year with concerns he might catch an injury. I just don't think he's anything special but he does get two soft defense in the Bucs and Saints that make up 1/4 of his schedule.

Sell high, imo.
I don't think I bought high.

its funny because the thread is not about your trade bam you guys are like jerry sinefeld plus mitch hedberg rolled in to one holy smokes you guys are funny take that to the bank

I don't think I bought high.
True, it's the 1st Rounder that concerns me. I love sniping talent in the 1st Round.

I'm overall bearish on Freeman, hope he does well for you though. If this is PPR I like the deal a little better for you.

you guys are like jerry sinefeld plus mitch hedberg rolled in to one holy smokes you guys are funny take that to the bank
"I want to rob a bank with a BB gun. 'Give me all your money or I will give you a dimple! I will be rich, you will be cute. We both win.'"

True, it's the 1st Rounder that concerns me. I love sniping talent in the 1st Round.

I'm overall bearish on Freeman, hope he does well for you though. If this is PPR I like the deal a little better for you.
Reason I think the 1st will be low is because I also have Gurley, ADP, Evans, Antonio Brown, Doctson, Shepard, Eifert, Gates, Winston, and Dalton.

Reason I think the 1st will be low is because I also have Gurley, ADP, Evans, Antonio Brown, Doctson, Shepard, Eifert, Gates, Winston, and Dalton.
Well that makes more sense.  I'm a little nervous about Devontas value myself.

What model and what is your price point. SG's new can run from under a grand to 4-5K.

if you're buying new, you will definitely overpay at a music store, especially for a floor model.

For an 11 year old, I'd look at a PRS SE series new of a Fender Blacktop new. Both are about $600-$700 new online. Unless you're sure your kid is going to committ being the next Eddie Van Halen, no need to shell out over 1K on the guitar itself. Boards, pedals and amps are gonna cost $ in the end too.
The SG faded is one he likes that isn't crazy money.  Those PRS that Johnny Slayer is playing with the Dead are pretty cool.  Are PRS typically heavy?  

proninja said:
I'd try to talk him into sticking with the viola. It's the red headed stepchild of symphony instruments, and there's a lot less competition for college scholarships. 
He's pretty good too.  The problem is he's WAY too cool for it.  He's a great athlete and the most popular kid in his class.  He's the king of the beach and had a steady stream of older girls calling here when he was nine.  He needs to play guitar now.  This is known.

proninja said:
I'd try to talk him into sticking with the viola. It's the red headed stepchild of symphony instruments, and there's a lot less competition for college scholarships. 
He's pretty good too.  The problem is he's WAY too cool for it.  He's a great athlete and the most popular kid in his class.  He's the king of the beach and had a steady stream of older girls calling here when he was nine.  He needs to play guitar now.  This is known.
Agree.  The chances of getting a viola scholarship aren't high, even if better than violin, etc.  While guitar is much more flexible - rock band, camp fire, just goofing around with friends, etc. - and more likely to be a long-lasting part of his life, imo.

and hey aint no groupie saying man i gots to have me a piece of that third chair viola i am just sayin take that to the bank bromigos 

What kind of music does he want to play? What bands does he like?  SGs are cool, but not terribly versatile in my opinion. 

one accesorry to a guitar you should get him is chest hair take that to the bank bromigos 

bigbottom said:
What kind of music does he want to play? What bands does he like?  SGs are cool, but not terribly versatile in my opinion. 
He wants to play Eyes of the World like Jerry did.

The SG body is very light, which makes the neck relatively heavy and therefore a poorly balanced guitar. As such, the neck constantly wants to fall toward the ground, forcing the guitarist to support the weight of the neck with his/her fretting hand. This results in lack of unfettered fret hand movement and playing frustration.

Everyone should have an SG in their collection, but it's a quirky uncomfortable guitar. 

Great upper fret access though!

The SG body is very light, which makes the neck relatively heavy and therefore a poorly balanced guitar. As such, the neck constantly wants to fall toward the ground, forcing the guitarist to support the weight of the neck with his/her fretting hand. This results in lack of unfettered fret hand movement and playing frustration.

Everyone should have an SG in their collection, but it's a quirky uncomfortable guitar. 

Won't a cool strap help with that?

Does the PRS have the same type of issue?

Pretty sure Jerry didn't play a single Eyes of the World with a Gibson.
Nice catch.  ;-)  That just happened to be what we were playing whend I posted that.  How about a Let it Grow?  He did use that SG off and on so anything is possible.  

Users who are viewing this thread