What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Childhood Trauma and the Origins of Religious Myth (1 Viewer)

CowboysFromHell

Footballguy
Childhood Trauma and the Origins of Religious Myth

tl;dr - religions were developed as coping mechanisms against the trauma we all experience to one degree or another as small children.  The author draws some fascinating parallels.

It's a very long article, so pasting some of the summary here for those looking for a quick read:

The existence of thematic overlaps between childhood experience and the religious myths we considered suggests that several distinct yet related forms of causal influence may be at play. To start with, it appears that during the formative periods of these religions, cultural patterns of childhood trauma were, so to speak, translated into religious myth and then projected, or schematically mapped, onto the cosmos. Examples given in the discussion of Christianity indicate that, during the translation process, patterns of trauma can function as an organizing principle, providing a flexible, thematic template for the modification, combination, and recontextualization of pre-existing religious and cultural elements. Thinking in terms of a flexible organizing principle helps us to make sense of profound underlying similarities in these religious systems while also recognizing that, in more superficial respects, the systems are very different—as between Abrahamic conceptions of an overtly anthropomorphic Judge and Eastern conceptions of a seemingly natural law of automatic retribution.

Along with the mythic translation and mapping of the trauma, we observed in some of the myths a tendency for the narrative to deviate in a predictable manner from the pattern of the actual trauma. This deviation acts to ameliorate the underlying trauma by adding a happy ending. Such endings are evident especially in the early Greco-Roman myths about abandoned children, in the Homeric Hymn to Demeter, and in the Abrahamic myths about the sacrificial sons (Isaac—or Ishmael—and Jesus).  This happy ending can readily be understood as a palliation, distraction, or psychological defense against the pain of the original trauma—an attempt to undo in myth and symbol what cannot be undone in reality.

Finally, there is reason to suspect that childhood themes in religious myths can produce powerful psychological resonances in the minds of believers and potential converts. These resonances may be primarily emotional—such as fears and longings, as well as tremendous joy in response to narrative amelioration; cognitive—for example, when myths that otherwise seem almost literally unbelievable are imbued with verisimilitude and may even be perceived as True in an absolute, transcendent, metaphysical sense; and behavioral—for example, when rituals or sacraments seem to function as post-traumatic behavioral repetitions. These emotional, cognitive, and behavioral resonances overlap, interact, and mutually support each other, forming an integrated pattern that recapitulates the painful realities of childhood. To the extent that traumatizing childrearing practices have persisted beyond the formative stage of a religion—and in all cases considered here they have—such overlapping resonances can go far in explaining why the religion has spread and retained popularity in the culture.

The infant’s knowledge of his situation is inchoate but intense. He does not need speech or reason to grasp that he is dependent and vulnerable; his first helpless cries of hunger or fear make that clear. As the infant grows into toddlerhood and beyond, his dependency and vulnerability persist to a great extent, while his developing powers of mind let the child understand with increasing precision just how tenuous his position in the universe is. No matter which religious beliefs they are later taught, all young children know, implicitly and at the deepest level, that their existence depends, moment by moment, on the grace and mercy of a wholly superior power—that of adults, especially parents. This knowledge, gained directly and experientially, is the child’s first and most profound religious education.

Does this guy present any data to back up his conclusions or is he pulling things out of his personal dark and smelly place?

No, he's pretty much just pulling it out of his ###, but since we're talking about religion here, I think that's fair.
No, we are talking about origins of religious myth. It is not the same.

I would argue that the origin of religious myth was a way for primitive man to explain forces of nature that he could not explain, explain where he came from, what happens after death. It can only be linked to trauma if after we die, our myths tell us we go to a better place.

The late Joseph Campbell has a far better theory - you should read his stuff.

- Made up stories that can't be corroborated.

- Some guy's attempt to explain what inspired the authors.

- Another guy on an internet board attempting to explain what inspired the authors.

Sorry, not seeing how they're that different in terms of supporting data?

Okay. Then somebody here early on explain the difference between religion vs religious myth. You know, for the uninitiated.

Okay. Then somebody here early on explain the difference between religion vs religious myth. You know, for the uninitiated.
Mythology does not require an organized religion. There was no ancient organized Greek religion, yet there are plenty of Greek Myths. Same can be said for the Celts, the Norse, the Germans, etc. Each cultural group had myths without having an organized religion.

Mythology does not require an organized religion. There was no ancient organized Greek religion, yet there are plenty of Greek Myths. Same can be said for the Celts, the Norse, the Germans, etc. Each cultural group had myths without having an organized religion.
Served the same purpose though right?  Use whichever god/myth fit the intended purpose versus using one god to fit all?

Served the same purpose though right?  Use whichever god/myth fit the intended purpose versus using one god to fit all?
World Historian William H. McNeill wrote in The Care and Repair of Public Myth (Foreign Affairs, 1982) that “A society that does not have a myth to support and give it cohesion goes into disillusion.” We need our myths, even if they are statements more of faith than of fact.  Myth guides societal behavior. Want to know why there is so much disillusion in the West? We have begun to reject the myths of a people that lived a long time ago and far away, and have nothing to replace those myths.

Comparative theologian Joseph Campbell considered McNeill’s definition incomplete. According to Campbell, myth serves four functions. The first is mystical. The mystical function opens up to us a realization of what Campbell called “the mystical transcendent mystery source”. It exposes us to concepts of Deity and to elementary ideas (see Bastian). The second is the cosmological function: our image of the world. This view changes radically as time passes, usually as a result of a scientific progress. It is a perception of what is visible, what appears obvious to us, and what is influenced by scientific knowledge. The third is sociological: the validation and maintenance of a specific social order of a specific society. The final function is what Campbell calls the pedagogical problem: guiding the individual through various phases of his life.

So myth comes from our unconscious and from our culture. It is perpetuated by our culture and it evolves because of our culture.

World Historian William H. McNeill wrote in The Care and Repair of Public Myth (Foreign Affairs, 1982) that “A society that does not have a myth to support and give it cohesion goes into disillusion.” We need our myths, even if they are statements more of faith than of fact.  Myth guides societal behavior. Want to know why there is so much disillusion in the West? We have begun to reject the myths of a people that lived a long time ago and far away, and have nothing to replace those myths.

Comparative theologian Joseph Campbell considered McNeill’s definition incomplete. According to Campbell, myth serves four functions. The first is mystical. The mystical function opens up to us a realization of what Campbell called “the mystical transcendent mystery source”. It exposes us to concepts of Deity and to elementary ideas (see Bastian). The second is the cosmological function: our image of the world. This view changes radically as time passes, usually as a result of a scientific progress. It is a perception of what is visible, what appears obvious to us, and what is influenced by scientific knowledge. The third is sociological: the validation and maintenance of a specific social order of a specific society. The final function is what Campbell calls the pedagogical problem: guiding the individual through various phases of his life.

So myth comes from our unconscious and from our culture. It is perpetuated by our culture and it evolves because of our culture.
I will take that as a "yes".

I don't reject the usefulness and lessons that myths hold... I reject the denial that they are myth.

I will take that as a "yes".

I don't reject the usefulness and lessons that myths hold... I reject the denial that they are myth.
Take it as a yes, in part. I see now that your problem is with Fundamentalists in any religion who view myth as fact. I view myth more like Campbell does - multiple functions from a legal code to stories that have been embellished.

Take it as a yes, in part. I see now that your problem is with Fundamentalists in any religion who view myth as fact. I view myth more like Campbell does - multiple functions from a legal code to stories that have been embellished.
I wouldn't use the word "problem".. :D

Also - it isn't just fundamentalists.  The largest and overarching myth spanning these myths is the existence of gods.

Last edited by a moderator:
These two statements seem like they're out of left field.  Can you explain why you drew these conclusions?  
I'll try, though you make not like the answer very much. I'll try to pull the religious/mystical context out of the two people I am paraphrasing here. For the out of unconscious part, in the religions of the world, there are certain concepts that appear everywhere.  Every human mind regardless of one's race or culture, operates in the same way. This view greatly influenced Swiss psychoanalyst Carl Jung. Jung postulated a “collective unconscious”: a repository of human experience. Contained within this collective unconscious are basic images and ideas that are independent of culture.  He called these “archetypes” and postulated that religious experience is the intrusion of these archetypes from the unconscious into the conscious mind. Jung did not feel that his mundane description in any way detracted from the mystical nature of such experience. Whether you accept Jung's ideas or not, our brains are all wired the same way, and it is not that far a reach to think that our individual unconscious would react the same way.

Adolf Bastián also recognized that history, culture and environment create variations to our unconscious ideas.  These he called folk ideas.   Bastián believed that societies develop over the course of their history from exhibiting simple ideas and institutions to becoming increasingly complex. Thus in theology, we might evolve from animism, to shamanism, to ancestor worship, to anthropomorphizing Deity (or deifying people).  The belief that each society developed different folk ideas due to their history, geography and environment requires these ideas to be preserved in the “collective mind” of a particular people, rather than in the collective minds of all people. (That's his concept - I look at it as slightly different ways brains are wired that are more tribal in nature.) Thus, when we see common threads to mythological themes, we are seeing the expression of elementary ideas, while the specifics (differences between the Greek and Egyptian Pantheons, for example) are folk ideas.

Why do the universal themes contained in the elementary ideas occur everywhere, independent of culture?  Jung believed that these elementary ideas are in some way part of the unconscious. Our experiences are assimilated and interpreted according to these elementary ideas (Jung’s archetypes, our unconscious). The elementary ideas are then expanded upon by the folk ideas. The source of folk ideas is the human imagination, history and culture, whereas elementary ideas likely come from the unconscious.

I think there is so much disillusionment in the West because our myths, which are based in a Middle Eastern culture that we can't even relate to anymore, are failing us, and we have nothing with which to replace them. Thus we are no longer a cohesive society. Religious apathy more than atheism is replacing religion, and the glue that could hold us together is dissolving. We don't have another glue to replace it. This leads to cynicism and then disillusionment with society. It leads to a certain amount of self-loathing in some as well. If our culture does not bind us together, how are we to prevent falling apart? Do you believe we are not falling apart?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use the word "problem".. :D

Also - it isn't just fundamentalists.  The largest and overarching myth spanning these myths is the existence of gods.
I don't want to argue about the existence or non-existence of ethereal beings that may or may not be more powerful and longer-lived than us. Either you have experienced them and recognized the experience for what it is, or you have denied the experience, or you haven't had the experience. It is not something provable scientifically, because it may be that you can only experience it if you are open to belief. I'm happy to hold onto my delusions and you are welcome to hold onto yours. I won't force mine on you; you won't force yours on me and we will leave it at that.

I don't want to argue about the existence or non-existence of ethereal beings that may or may not be more powerful and longer-lived than us. Either you have experienced them and recognized the experience for what it is, or you have denied the experience, or you haven't had the experience. It is not something provable scientifically, because it may be that you can only experience it if you are open to belief. I'm happy to hold onto my delusions and you are welcome to hold onto yours. I won't force mine on you; you won't force yours on me and we will leave it at that.
Agreed.

Even the Neanderthal buried his dead. Spiritual beliefs go back a long time and seem to be part of humans makeup

Never left the party, my friend. Just haven't heard a satisfactory response to the question posed.
I'm afraid if you didn't get it, you won't get it. Maybe you're looking at it from only the anti-Christian perspective? Religion serves the  sociological and pedagogical functions. Myths are stories which religion uses, but myth focuses mainly on the mystical and cosmological functions.

I'm afraid if you didn't get it, you won't get it. Maybe you're looking at it from only the anti-Christian perspective? Religion serves the  sociological and pedagogical functions. Myths are stories which religion uses, but myth focuses mainly on the mystical and cosmological functions.
Yeah, I don't get it.  My perspective is not uniquely anti-Christian.  I'm anti- anything that makes no sense, especially when it can be used to motivate otherwise intelligent people to act the opposite.

The "anti-Christian" schtick is awful.

The Christian myth wins and fails on the same grounds all other myths do.

Users who are viewing this thread