What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getty Images getting the pants sued off them (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
http://pdnpulse.pdnonline.com/2016/07/photographer-seeking-1-billion-getty-images-copyright-infringement.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

So Getty stole over 18,000 images from this woman, has been charging for them as if they owned them, and have been suing other people that have used them. Including the woman who they stole the images from.

I hope she gets the full $1B. Pretty ballsy to steal someone's stuff, charge for it and then make copyright claims against people who were legally using the free images.

http://pdnpulse.pdnonline.com/2016/07/photographer-seeking-1-billion-getty-images-copyright-infringement.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

So Getty stole over 18,000 images from this woman, has been charging for them as if they owned them, and have been suing other people that have used them. Including the woman who they stole the images from.

I hope she gets the full $1B. Pretty ballsy to steal someone's stuff, charge for it and then make copyright claims against people who were legally using the free images.
Looks like they meseed with the wrong marine.

ELI5, who/what is Getty and how did they become the sole owner of so many images? Do people sell their images for a pittance or what?

Mario Kart said:
ELI5, who/what is Getty and how did they become the sole owner of so many images? Do people sell their images for a pittance or what?
We work with them. For us or other entities that need photos for creative use on consumer products, they are a hub that allows us to pay a fee and grab what we need from their well-organized library when we need it...which could be across a huge range. Most of it basic stuff like a pic of an MLB player in the batters box.

Some photos they show though require additional approval for use, I assume from the artist/owner.

Well, yeah. I mean, this situation is exactly why you use a company like Getty. No one has the time to definitively research the global copyright history behind an image or footage they want to license. Instead, you're paying for Getty to get sued instead of you. If I want an image for something, and it turns out there's some backstory behind it that could get me in legal trouble, I want to point to a contract I have from the place I got the image from and say "Sue me all you want, these guys will end up paying."

I would only work with companies that "represent and warrant" they have the legal rights to license the images in their collection, and would provide all liability. Otherwise, I wouldn't use an image or footage. It's just not worth it to me.

The most dangerous part of my job was when some producer would tell me to use something in the "public domain". There's no such thing. What I ended up doing was finding a company that had a vast "public domain" collection, then paying them to license the material, as long as they took on the legal liability. It was much better than taking on the risk myself.
Thanks for explaining this. It's fascinating. 

So essentially Getty's value prop is 1. We have lots of images and 2. We stand as the assurance that you won't suffer a claim of you use them. 

If that's the case (tons of images and a strong liability burden) you'd think they have a #### ton of insurance. Hopefully for them anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread