What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Federal Appeals Court Rules New NC Voting Laws Intended To Discriminate (1 Viewer)

"...require IDs that African Americans disproportionately lacked"

Why is this?  Why don't they have ID's?

"...require IDs that African Americans disproportionately lacked"

Why is this?  Why don't they have ID's?
Because poor people have a harder time getting IDs due to lack of resources and people in urban settings are less likely to already have a driver's license since they may not need one, and African-Americans are disproportionately poor/living in urban settings.

Because poor people have a harder time getting IDs due to lack of resources and people in urban settings are less likely to already have a driver's license since they may not need one, and African-Americans are disproportionately poor/living in urban settings.
And those facilities are either under funded or do not exist in their neighborhoods. 

ETA: Long lines lead to people having to take a day off of work which for many could result in being fired or not be able to put food on the table. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it... $20-$30 for an ID?

Why not come to a compromise and fund that nonsense.

If people can get free Obama phones, but can't get an ID?  Then the focus is wrong...and gotta make you wonder why?

Fund the ID's for the poor and be done with this tired @zz excuse.

Everyone voting should have a valid ID.

Anything otherwise is just a manipulated con job.

Sorry, we need voter ID to prevent fraud. I hope thid gets overturned at the next level.

One of the things I had the Precinct members do in Idaho was to go out after voter registration campaigns by that other party and check addresses. You would be surprised how many people registered their address as a vacant lot. Voter fraud is a serious problem. We need to do something about it.

If people can get free Obama phones, but can't get an ID?  Then the focus is wrong...and gotta make you wonder why?

It's insane 

If you want to advocate funding for IDs (transportation as well as processing fees) and guaranteed leave for voting or even a holiday so that people can wait in lines generated by ID checks without worrying about losing money, I'm with you  Unfortunately we don't have those things right now, so until we do we should make sure our voting laws don't discriminate on any basis- race, socioeconomic status, whatever.  The John Oliver bit on these laws is pretty good if you want to check it out.

ETA: Long lines lead to people having to take a day off of work which for many could result in being fired or not be able to put food on the table. 
I work. I vote either before or after work. If the lines are long in the morning I come back at night. If the lines are still long I have a choice. Either wait in line or go home and don't vote. Its simple.

I work. I vote either before or after work. If the lines are long in the morning I come back at night. If the lines are still long I have a choice. Either wait in line or go home and don't vote. Its simple.
I'm happy that you have great access and flexibility to vote.  Kudos!

Make them free if the $10 is an overwhelming burden.  Not much point in having voter rolls if no one is required to verify identity.

If you want to advocate funding for IDs (transportation as well as processing fees) and guaranteed leave for voting or even a holiday so that people can wait in lines generated by ID checks without worrying about losing money, I'm with you  Unfortunately we don't have those things right now, so until we do we should make sure our voting laws don't discriminate on any basis- race, socioeconomic status, whatever.  The John Oliver bit on these laws is pretty good if you want to check it out.
I'm for a middle ground on this. I'd make monetary concessions in the form of taxation to make it very easy for anyone to get an ID, open more centers and staff them. But, you gotta get one to vote. We spend tax money on things much more ludicrous than ID centers, I'd sign off on this for sure if left up to me.

There is always absentee voting for those who can't stand in line. Or is the postage stamp cost too much to bear?

Sorry, we need voter ID to prevent fraud. I hope thid gets overturned at the next level.
I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but the states I have voted in Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Maryland, and Florida either didn't ask for my ID, or if they did it was a little old lady who didn't give two ####s about it.  Would be very easy for any person to borrow another person's ID to vote.  Now recently in Oklahoma they ask for your address, and they mark you off in a book to show you have already voted.  This would work without an ID in a small state like Oklahoma, but I don't see how in the world they keep up with this issue in a large populated area.   

If people were serious about this issue we would go to a standardized voting system that can be taught in high school, so that we don't have 1500 different ways to vote in different states, counties, and cities.  We could use a fingerprint machine or some other high tech mechanism.  But, it shouldn't cost the tax payer to vote.  

Do you drive to these places and can easily just bounce back and forth between home, office and the polling place or do you use mass transit?  Do you have children whose care you need to account for (and pay for)?

There is always absentee voting for those who can't stand in line. Or is the postage stamp cost too much to bear?
Urban areas have a higher density of people sans legs and may not be able to make it to a mailbox on a regular basis.

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but the states I have voted in Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Maryland, and Florida either didn't ask for my ID, or if they did it was a little old lady who didn't give two ####s about it.  Would be very easy for any person to borrow another person's ID to vote.  Now recently in Oklahoma they ask for your address, and they mark you off in a book to show you have already voted.  This would work without an ID in a small state like Oklahoma, but I don't see how in the world they keep up with this issue in a large populated area.   

If people were serious about this issue we would go to a standardized voting system that can be taught in high school, so that we don't have 1500 different ways to vote in different states, counties, and cities.  We could use a fingerprint machine or some other high tech mechanism.  But, it shouldn't cost the tax payer to vote.  
Fingerprinting minorioties? OMG!

The flaw here is that you're thinking of these rules as they apply to a single hypothetical person ("couldn't they just do ____").  But that's not the issue.  The issue is disparate impact.

Let's say we need to save some money on elections so someone suggests that we should just have one polling place for every X people, rather than a range that allows for considerations of geography and whatnot. This sounds decent and fair and not intended to target anyone unfairly, right? But the result would be way more urban voters (because there would be a polling place on every corner) and way fewer rural voters (because some of them would have to drive a while to get to the polls).  The impact would skew voting to increase %s for liberal, democratic, young and African-American and Hispanic voters.

I could look at any one rural voter and say "what, you can't sit in your car for 20 extra minutes or vote by absentee ballot?" just like you're doing here.  And that might be true. But that logic wouldn't do anything to change the disparate impact of the law, and you can bet your ### that every rural voter and every politician who benefits from their support would lose their minds about such a law.

Does anyone really know of any voter fraud?  I hear people speak about it from time to time.  But, have never seen the fraud or the consequences. 

I don't buy that it's because someone is poor as the reason for not having ID.

I grew up poor...dirt poor.  A couple of the places I lived actually had dirt floors...and yes, you can sweep a dirt floor.  There were times we couldn't afford toilet paper...so we'd take the free telephone books and tear a page and use that. There was one place I lived where'd I'd go to sleep to the sound of rats gnawing on the walls every night like some deranged lulluby.  I'd see teeth gouges in the concrete steps where they had to grind down their teeth.  You'd have to check the mail with a stick because the possum - sized rats would actually stand you down as you neared the trash by the curb.  I still put all my cups and glasses face down in the cupboards because of how roaches were an everyday part of life.  I can still hear the sound in my head as you'd turn on the lights at night...the scurrying of every foul creature taking up residence with us.  I learned very quickly how if you wanted to keep something, say your bike or basketball, you better not leave it outside.  If it's outside, even by your door...then you're just donating it.  My uncle lived by a city dump and had an outhouse for a bathroom...but I loved to go see him cause we'd rummage the dump for broken lamps and toasters and fix them so we could have some of those nice things.  Trust me...I know poor...and through all that, my mom had proper ID.

But then again...maybe it's because she checked Caucasian on the form...who knows.

I grew up poor...dirt poor.  A couple of the places I lived actually had dirt floors...and yes, you can sweep a dirt floor.  There were times we couldn't afford toilet paper...so we'd take the free telephone books and tear a page and use that. There was one place I lived where'd I'd go to sleep to the sound of rats gnawing on the walls every night like some deranged lulluby.  I'd see teeth gouges in the concrete steps where they had to grind down their teeth.  You'd have to check the mail with a stick because the possum - sized rats would actually stand you down as you neared the trash by the curb.  I still put all my cups and glasses face down in the cupboards because of how roaches were an everyday part of life.  I can still hear the sound in my head as you'd turn on the lights at night...the scurrying of every foul creature taking up residence with us.  I learned very quickly how if you wanted to keep something, say your bike or basketball, you better not leave it outside.  If it's outside, even by your door...then you're just donating it.  My uncle lived by a city dump and had an outhouse for a bathroom...but I loved to go see him cause we'd rummage the dump for broken lamps and toasters and fix them so we could have some of those nice things.  Trust me...I know poor...and through all that, my mom had proper ID.

But then again...maybe it's because she checked Caucasian on the form...who knows.

What if you don't want ID? Isn't that your right as an American to not have an ID? And isn't voting also a right? 

Look at me!!!  My mom has ID!   

The reason the law was overturned seems to be based on intent to discriminate. I find their logic weak. I also noted that these were 2 Obama appointees and one Clinton appointeee, so I'm not surprised.  Just think of how many more judges Hillary will get to appoint.

What if you don't want ID? Isn't that your right as an American to not have an ID? And isn't voting also a right? 
Voting is a right for citizens. One person, one vote. But there are other requirements that must be met - like an address so you vote for the candidates that represent that address. Like proving who you are so no one steals your vote from you by pretending to be you.

Voting is a right for citizens. One person, one vote. But there are other requirements that must be met - like an address so you vote for the candidates that represent that address. Like proving who you are so no one steals your vote from you by pretending to be you.
Can you explain to me how this would happen? Not just logistically, but also how someone could arrive at the conclusion that the potential reward is worth even 0.00001% of the risk?

Didn't they also lower the early voting range from 17 to 10 days just so they would lose out on one "soul to the polls" event held on Sundays where local African American churches bussed people to their voting centers? 

When you register

When you register to vote, you get a voter registration card. Is that sufficient for you?

Make them free if the $10 is an overwhelming burden.  Not much point in having voter rolls if no one is required to verify identity.
I think the burden is that it is a PITA in large cities to get IDs/drivers licenses and because people take public transportation around, they literally do not need an ID for anything. So they don't have them. When I was living in Philadelphia when I was young, I let my drivers license expire for several years because I didn't have a car at the time and didn't want to deal with PENNDOT. It'd burn me at a bar every once in a while but it still didn't motivate my ### to deal with spending an entire day waiting in hell to get a new license.

Now this wouldn't fly anymore since 9/11 because IDs are being required for much more. But poor people aren't getting on airplanes and probably don't find themselves in many situations where they need an ID. So election day rolls around and they can't vote where maybe they would have without the voter ID law.

Now that being said..... I do think that a basic check to make sure someone pulling a lever in the voting box is legitimate is not unreasonable. But maybe they could implement other ways to prove who you are. Like you could show up with a birth certificate and two pieces of mail with your name and address on it, a check book, etc. - the types of things accepted when applying for a passport or drivers license that are reasonable and if someone is who they say they are would have. 

You really gotta stop with this line of thinking.

It's also my right to drink alcohol...but if I want to buy it at a store or bar...I have to show ID.

Look...you can choose not to have valid ID...fine.

But that will exclude you from a lot of things.

Make your choice.

It's also my right to drink alcohol...but if I want to buy it at a store or bar...I have to show ID.

Make your choice.
if you choose not to have an ID you are basically giving up on the chance to ever be a productive member of society..     

Make your choice.
I don't think a constitutional right can be denied because you don't have ID. I suspect that's what the Court said today (though I admittedly haven't read the decision. Maybe I'm wrong).

Make your choice.
ID requirements also open up the door for all kinds of other shenanigans, because every requirement adds to the human element and someone might be racist or sexist or having a terrible day or think you look too much like their ex-husband or whatever.  Or the law itself might be too narrowly crafted or interpreted.  Check out the story of Eddie Lee Holloway.

They (conservatives) WONT make them free or have them paid for because then it wont have its intended effect -- to discriminate.

In Texas when the compromise was considered to have the state pay for it it was immediately rejected by all republicans. Heck they often try and make it illegal to even help a person to register to vote. And the history of almost no fraud is plain as day from every study ever done.

They (conservatives) WONT make them free or have them paid for because then it wont have its intended effect -- to discriminate.

In Texas when the compromise was considered to have the state pay for it it was immediately rejected by all republicans. Heck they often try and make it illegal to even help a person to register to vote. And the history of almost no fraud is plain as day from every study ever done.
You've never canvassed Bueno's district.

state lawmakers sought data breaking down voting practices by race. The judges said that the law's provisions singled out the practices disproportionately popular among African Americans, such as preregisteration and provisional voting.

In the opinion, the panel of judges said that the law restricted voting in ways that "disproportionately affected African Americans" and that its provisions targeted "African Americans with almost surgical precision." 
Shame, NC. 

Seems they are scared in Texas.  You wouldn't think so with the way Texas has voted "R" for so long.  The RNC has a deathgrip on Texas, so why is Texas so worried about minorities and poor voting?  Can't be that many people disenfranchised that it could sway the state.

A couple of weeks ago when the big issue was HRC's email server, there was a lecture about how (in the practice of law) extremely difficult it is to prove intent.  

In this NC case, these 3 judges determined that it was the intent of the NC legislature to "restrict voting in ways that disproportionately affect African Americans" and it specifically "targeted African Americans..."  And "their justification (for the laws) cannot and do not conceal the state's true motivation."  

They know the state's true motivation and intent?  That is a mighty big accusation.  

Users who are viewing this thread