What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weightlifting/Powerlifting Thread. Trying the sarms (1 Viewer)

flapgreen

Footballguy
Couldn't find any of the weightlifting threads that weren't archived so thought I'd start a new one.  I've been lifting for probably 20 years and work in the field as well.  Starting a thread for us meatheads. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy of mine made Elite... He's paying for it now with little nagging injuries despite training with one of the best (David Allen at NBS fitness) 

I do 5x5. Very casually. 

Thinking of changing to buff dudes just because 5x5 is boring after awhile and I have stalled out a bit. 

at it for 30+ years, but mostly for tone/sculpt/lean definition ... as far as 'bulking up', do you need to significantly up your calorie intake? 

I do 5x5. Very casually. 

Thinking of changing to buff dudes just because 5x5 is boring after awhile and I have stalled out a bit. 
I guess depends on how hard you're going at it.  I wouldn't call it casual if you're doing 5 RM on deadlift,  squat,  or bench.  I'll frequently do 3 RM or heavier on a regular basis.   If you really want to add on strength,  you have to up the weight. 

I've always loved lifting heavy and going at it pretty hard but I've got a little more into power movements over past couple years, along with exercises to compliment the big 3 lifts. 

Alright, I'll be the lean guy standing in the corner between sets of squats with the weight most of you curl.  

If you only wanted to spend 20 minutes, 3x/week in the weight room, what would you do?  This is to supplement running and tri, no desire to get huge but strength and being cut is good.  I'm currently 6', 175 lbs and measured 6% body fat in the egg last year (pretty sure I'm still close to that %)

Alright, I'll be the lean guy standing in the corner between sets of squats with the weight most of you curl.  

If you only wanted to spend 20 minutes, 3x/week in the weight room, what would you do?  This is to supplement running and tri, no desire to get huge but strength and being cut is good.  I'm currently 6', 175 lbs and measured 6% body fat in the egg last year (pretty sure I'm still close to that %)
Squat 3x5 every time. Then alternate 1x5 deadlift with probably 3x5 bent over rows. Add weights consistently. 

Yes.  Healthy calories and gain strength. 
that's always been my concern (higher caloric intake), and has dissuaded me for years ... my metabolism is glacial, and that's why i lift the way i do, with tons of cardio - maintaining a solid 175/180 lbs. is a mofo

:(

Squat 3x5 every time. Then alternate 1x5 deadlift with probably 3x5 bent over rows. Add weights consistently. 
:thumbup:

Why is 5 the magic number?  Back on college we were always told 6-8 for max strength, 10-12 for endurance strength. 

I've never been into the huge weights, it just seems that the guys who push tons of iron have their elbows and knees wrapped up like mummies, and while they have tons of muscle, they also have a good bit of fat.

I try to maintain a lean, muscled physique.  The kind where you might not be able to tell I lift with a dress shirt on, but with my shirt off you can definitely tell.  And I try to stay in the 12%'ish bf range.

I run push/pull 4x per week.

While I deadlifted for a few years, I've moved away from it just because as I started to pull "decent" weight (425) it made me nervous that my form wasn't perfect enough to prevent back issues.  And I've had back issues my whole life (which ironically lifting has helped me control for the most part).  Anyway, to substitute deads (and I know there's no perfect substitution) I do bent over rows and seated rack pulls.  Good enough or should I add something else?

High cardio and that little of weight lifting will limit you significantly from making gains but I'd stick to the compound lifts and forget isolation stuff like curls and such.  Optimize your time in gym. 

While I deadlifted for a few years, I've moved away from it just because as I started to pull "decent" weight (425) it made me nervous that my form wasn't perfect enough to prevent back issues.  And I've had back issues my whole life (which ironically lifting has helped me control for the most part).  Anyway, to substitute deads (and I know there's no perfect substitution) I do bent over rows and seated rack pulls.  Good enough or should I add something else?
Nothing is a substitute for deadlifts,  as you stated.  I see no reason to avoid deadlifts if you're form stays good.  If you were substituting things in,  you would need a lot of hip and glute exercises.  Big component of deadlifts.  I do a decent amount of upper back and hip work already to compliment my deadlifts. 

Nothing is a substitute for deadlifts,  as you stated.  I see no reason to avoid deadlifts if you're form stays good.  If you were substituting things in,  you would need a lot of hip and glute exercises.  Big component of deadlifts.  I do a decent amount of upper back and hip work already to compliment my deadlifts. 
Makes sense, I kind of figured.  And I think my form is good but it just makes me nervous.

What's your big 3 total?

that's always been my concern (higher caloric intake), and has dissuaded me for years ... my metabolism is glacial, and that's why i lift the way i do, with tons of cardio - maintaining a solid 175/180 lbs. is a mofo

:(
I'm always been a hard gainer. In my late 30s and still that way. 

:thumbup:

Why is 5 the magic number?  Back on college we were always told 6-8 for max strength, 10-12 for endurance strength. 
Honestly, and this isn't the correct answer, I think it's easier to keep form on 5 lifts.  

I cycle between 5x5 for about 12 weeks then swap to high rep for 12 weeks and so on. Usually take a week or two off every 2 months and do nothing but hiit or plyo or cardiovascular.

I've never been into the huge weights, it just seems that the guys who push tons of iron have their elbows and knees wrapped up like mummies, and while they have tons of muscle, they also have a good bit of fat.

I try to maintain a lean, muscled physique.  The kind where you might not be able to tell I lift with a dress shirt on, but with my shirt off you can definitely tell.  And I try to stay in the 12%'ish bf range.

I run push/pull 4x per week.
I've always stayed in lower teens or maybe 11or 12 when I have more time.  Dialed my cardio back to 20 minutes 3x/wk now.  Lift about 3x/wk.  I've always loved lifting as much weight as possible.  Something about it gets me excited.  I hate cardio but do it to stay healthy.  I'm on my feet a lot with my job already. 

competed in my late 20s at 6'0, 280....joints shot to ####.  Surgery on shoulder elbow wrist.  Now at a lean 245-250*.  2-3 days weights, 2-3 days cardio.  My weight days are 90% Dumbbells, all range of motion and slow negatives vs the  old days of throwing barbells around.

Man, in your 40s to me it's all about diet.  You can lift or run all you want, but diet really rules all. 

*depends on beer intake :)

looking forward to big steel and stat cruncher to weigh in.  I remember those two as smart lifters.

Late 30s here.   Diet very important when get this age or older for sure.  And sleep.   Both of which can become difficult if you have small kids.  

Don't care for holding water with creatine but screw it.  Going to take some  for about a month and add on some strength.  On a good run the past couple of months.  Working at staying very limber on foam roller and stretching a lot while keeping muscles balanced out to keep my injury risk low.  Would like to add 100 pounds to my deadlift and 50 to my bench by next summer. 

I actually do find NoXplode to be the best pre-gym drink.  Low or no sugar, 2 carbs, lots of energy (and I'm sure lots of bad stuff for you chemically as well) but when I'm trying to ramp up the weights, those drinks are magically.  Of course, I feel like passing out and absolute #### after the workout. 

I've taken to lifting in my mid-30's now. I'm not going for any competition as much as to prove to myself (and my wife) that when I say I was in good shape before she knew me in my 20's that I can still defy my age and have that same look and confidence in my physique again. I started this year the heaviest I can remember and focused mainly on weight training to lessen the fat and build strength. Now I'm working to find the balance as I'm also not trying to get huge as much as I'm trying to get strong and lean while being ok with adding a little bulk.

No decline bench in my gym.  What are alternatives?  Dips, I assume.  Piling 45 lb plates under the bench foot never appealed to me.  

2 Part question

LEt's say I'm completely dumb (I am) and just for once in my life want to say I could bench press XXX pounds - just to max - just to do it, one time in my life.  

How does one properly ramp up to something like this?  Is there a specific program?  Number of days a week?  High reps, low weight, high weight, low reps, a mix of both?  I'm just curious.  Pick a number like 250, what's the proper way to ramp up to a new PR on a certain exercise.  Doesn't even have to be bench press to be honest.  Anything - leg press, squats, whatever.

---------

I work with a personal trainer for the past year twice a week.  Bench press is always the first thing we do and I prefer just to do 3 or 4 sets of a lower weight.  Recently though, he's got me building up to just doing something like 135 - 10 times, 155 - 8 times, 175 - 6 times, 195 - 4 times, 205 - 2 times is about the most i can do.  I don't even really care about benching a lot of weight, I'm just trying to stay healthy.  Should I find a new trainer? It feels like bench pressing for 2 reps is almost useless.  What say you all?

2 Part question

LEt's say I'm completely dumb (I am) and just for once in my life want to say I could bench press XXX pounds - just to max - just to do it, one time in my life.  

How does one properly ramp up to something like this?  Is there a specific program?  Number of days a week?  High reps, low weight, high weight, low reps, a mix of both?  I'm just curious.  Pick a number like 250, what's the proper way to ramp up to a new PR on a certain exercise.  Doesn't even have to be bench press to be honest.  Anything - leg press, squats, whatever.

---------

I work with a personal trainer for the past year twice a week.  Bench press is always the first thing we do and I prefer just to do 3 or 4 sets of a lower weight.  Recently though, he's got me building up to just doing something like 135 - 10 times, 155 - 8 times, 175 - 6 times, 195 - 4 times, 205 - 2 times is about the most i can do.  I don't even really care about benching a lot of weight, I'm just trying to stay healthy.  Should I find a new trainer? It feels like bench pressing for 2 reps is almost useless.  What say you all?
I believe the answer to your question is "The Texas Method"  

I believe the answer to your question is "The Texas Method"  
Alright - reading about it now.  Not sure I really want to even go there but just curious what my trainer is going for here and debating getting off the program.  He's gotten pretty lazy, he texts and reads emails during my sets and just shuttles me from exercise to exercise.  Twice a week gets pretty expensive.

2 Part question

---------

If you want to lift heavier weight,  you have to lift heavy.  Lower reps and heavier weight.  Hard to up your 1 RM if you don't regularly lift heavier.  Depending on where you're at with your bench in comparison to your body weight,  working with lower weight and speed of the bar and explosion is what I would focus on.  Technique very important and having a strong upper back also important.  Doing a bunch of sets before 2 RM is counterproductive to me.  Warm up a few sets with lighter weight.  Hit heavy weight. 

Now I'm working to find the balance as I'm also not trying to get huge as much as I'm trying to get strong and lean while being ok with adding a little bulk.
I've been on this for a long time.  Size isn't a look on me that I like.  

I do lots of reps, really controlled, and really concentrating on focusing on the muscle-not cheating, letting the desired muscle group do all the work.

Concentrating on technique, making the rep as difficult as possible, really.  

Alright - reading about it now.  Not sure I really want to even go there but just curious what my trainer is going for here and debating getting off the program.  He's gotten pretty lazy, he texts and reads emails during my sets and just shuttles me from exercise to exercise.  Twice a week gets pretty expensive.
Sounds like an awful trainer. 

Sounds like an awful trainer. 
I've had good ones, but moved out of state and picked one up as it's motivation to actually get to the gym for me.  I never miss it.  If I'm scheduled, I'm there - even if I'm hungover.  But yes, I sometimes wonder what the point is.  Sure he shows me an exercise or two, but after a year I've pretty much got it.

I'm the one who has to add in supersets.  He'll have me doing curls or something on the TRX bands and in between sets I have to take it upon myself to go bang out the battle ropes for 30 seconds or something.  

I'm going to lose weight/get in shape.  Amazing that I'm the one who has to press the issue and push myself.  

Really is just a waste of money at this point.  

Ugh biceps curls are such a waste in tge grand scheme of things.  So many other exercises with much more bang for the buck.  I'll do a few curls here and there for the hell of it

One thing I've learned is to have to have one defined goal or complementary goals. 

Without steroids it's almost impossible and rather inefficient to get stronger AND lose fat so your six pack will show.

So pick one: Get stronger or get leaner. 

Also, decide are you lifting for absolute strength or for aesthetics. Obviously any good lifting program you do will have some improvements in both, but our time is valuable so pick one to maximize your training. 

Diet is king as many have mentioned. I track mine, but don't adhere to strict macros. I have my calorie goals and then make sure I have enough protein. After that I don't worry too much about fat and carb ratio....they're energy so our body will use it when it needs it.

So I'm quickly evaporating into a HS teen, I need to do something. 

I have access to free weights and a mini gym near work. It's not a 24 hour fitness, I would say it caters to old people. It's in connection with a rehab center and not open much to the public but I have access thru work. 

Sustanon or Dianabol
No No, nothing like that. I just need a good workout regimen. I used to lift about 8-9 years ago and went from over 300 to around 250 but then stopped. I was doing arms one day, legs another, chest and back...1-2 times a week per muscle group or area. 

I would like to lift maybe 2-3 times a week max. 30-45 minutes tops. Want to tone up more than add any bulk, at least in the beginning. 

Man this thread is well timed.  I just switched to a new routine and was looking for some fellow meatheads to bounce some bro science off of.

4 day power, muscle, burn

The basic premise is working both strength (high weight/low rep) and size (low weight/high rep) into the same workout.  The burnout stuff (a couple 40 rep sets at the end) I doubt does much of anything but they're a fun way to finish, so let's mainly focus on the power/muscle balance.

The basic problem I've had is that when moving back and forth between strength and size (~3 months of one before switching to the other, etc) I feel like I waste a month or so every time getting my body used to it again.  That is to say if I finish a strength routine doing bench press triples at 225 (and 5x5 @ 205) then moving to 3x10 @ 155 should be fairly easy.  But my body is so used to low rep work that it basically tells me to GTFO when I ask it to put up 30 reps in 3 minutes.  It takes me a good 3 weeks or so to get to that point even though it should be an easy weight.  Then when I switch back to strength the same thing happens.  Heavy weight is so foreign to my body by then that it will take me several weeks just to get back to the same strength lifts that I was doing before the switch.  It feels like so much time wasted spending one month in every four just catching back up.

Charlie's post up above seems to imply that you need to either pick size or strength, especially at our age.  What say the rest of you about mixing both into the same workout with the routine above?

I quit deadlifts after a back injury about 18 months ago.

I've kind of adopted the mindset that lifting 400+ lbs on any exercise is for dudes in their early 20's who can recover from a back strain in a few weeks.  At my age (mid 30's) recovery time from an injury is exponentially longer.  I don't want to be out of the gym for 6 months (not to mention unable to pick my kid up out of the crib for a few weeks) because I lost focus for 3 seconds during a lift one day.

As far as supplementing it goes I've added lunges for glutes/hammies.  I'm not talking about grabbing a couple of 20lb dumbbells and walking across the gym like the distance runners are doing.  Throw about 80% of your squat weight onto a bar and do the standing lunges in the squat rack (in case you start to lose your balance).  Doesn't hit your lower back but just destroys your glutes and hamstrings.

Size and strength usually go hand in hand.  There are some subtle nuances between the two but if you're squatting and deadlifting over 300 or 350 while benching over 225 or 250, you won't be a small.  I've never been one to work arms or do a lot of isolation movements unless they are complimenting my bigger lifts.  Just me.  If you're lifting heavier weight,  you're arms won't be small.  Calves,  on the other hand,  are a different animal altogether. 

Size and strength usually go hand in hand.  There are some subtle nuances between the two but if you're squatting and deadlifting over 300 or 350 while benching over 225 or 250, you won't be a small.  I've never been one to work arms or do a lot of isolation movements unless they are complimenting my bigger lifts.  Just me.  If you're lifting heavier weight,  you're arms won't be small.  Calves,  on the other hand,  are a different animal altogether. 
I think they are correlated, but there's some metabolic thresholds you need to account for.  

If you look at drug tested big lift total world record the increase in lifting plateaus really quickly at 200#  The world record at 198 is only 200 pounds off the world record at 308, for example.  but the guy at 123 is 700 pounds lower than the guy at 198.  One would argue that most of that extra weight is probably mass if they are setting records.  

Class Lift Name Country Year Fed123 1,306 Andrzej Stanaszek Poland 1996 EPF132 1,477 Sergey Fedosienko Russia 12/26/15 RPF148 1,580 Tony Conyers USA 1999 WNPF165 1,609 Aliaksandr Hrynkevich-Sudnik BLR 06/25/16 IPF181 1,766 Brett Gibbs NZL 03/05/16 IPF198 2,015 Jesse Norris USA 12/13/14 USAPL220 1,874 Jesse Norris USA 10/17/15 USAPL242 1,934 Tyson Meyers USA 11/16/14 NASA275 2,175 Dennis Cornelius USA 12/19/15 AAU308 2,217 K Konstantinovs Latvia 2009 AWPCSHW 2,336 Mark Henry USA 1995 WDFPF

Users who are viewing this thread