What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Ryder Cup - Hazeltine (1 Viewer)

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Now that the PGA Championship is complete we can start looking forward to the 41st Ryder Cup, to be played September 27th through October 2nd, 2016, at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota. Team USA leads all-time 25-13-2 but Team Europe is 8-2 in the last 10 matches and 10-4-1 since 1985. 

2016 Ryder Cup http://www.rydercup.com

Format:

The tournament will be a Match Play Competition between two teams of 12 Players representing Europe and the United States.  On both the 1st and 2nd days there will be a series of 4 foursome matches and a series of 4 four-ball matches, and on the final day a series of 12 singles matches.

Selection Process:

USA

The Top Eight: Eight of the 12 members of the U.S. Team will be named on points earned following the conclusion of The Barclays, which is scheduled to conclude Sunday Aug. 28, 2016. This new timetable gives two additional weeks for players to earn Ryder Cup qualifying points.

- Captain's Picks: U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III will select three of his four Captain's Picks after the conclusion of the BMW Championship, which is scheduled to conclude on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016. His fourth pick will take place Sunday evening after the TOUR Championship, Sept. 25, 2016. This new timetable also is pushed back two weeks.

Current Standings (as of 7/31/2016, after the PGA)

1   Dustin Johnson 11,860.361

2   Jordan Spieth 11,179.143

3   Phil Mickelson 5,764.936

4   Jimmy Walker 5,337.662

5   Brooks Koepka 4,688.830

6   Zach Johnson 4,297.160

7   J.B. Holmes 4,149.716

8   Brandt Snedeker 4,086.115

9   Bubba Watson 4,008.084

10 Patrick Reed 3,999.405

11 Matt Kuchar 3,933.965

12 Rickie Fowler 3,768.946

13 Scott Piercy 3,272.359

14 Bill Haas 3,194.090

15 William McGirt 2,959.897

Europe

The European Team to compete in the 2016 Ryder Cup shall comprise of the following Members:

(a) The leading four Members1 on The Ryder Cup European Points List (1) on Sunday 28th August 2016, (or as at the conclusion of the Made in Denmark Tournament, whichever is the latter).  In the event of a tie between Members (i.e. a number of Members having accumulated an equal number of points), placings will be decided by the Member1 with the higher ranking on the 2016 Race to Dubai Rankings on Sunday 28th August 2016, (or as at the conclusion of the Made in Denmark tournament, whichever is the latter);

(b) The leading five Members1, not otherwise qualified under paragraph (a) above, on The Ryder Cup World Points List (2) on Sunday 28th August 2016, (or as at the conclusion of the Made in Denmark tournament, whichever is the latter). In the event of a tie between Members (i.e. a number of Members having accumulated an equal number of points), placings will be decided by the Member1 with the higher ranking on the Official World Golf Ranking as published on Monday 22nd August 2016; and

(c) The Captain, Darren Clarke, will choose (at his own discretion) the remaining three Members1 in the week commencing Monday 29th August 2016.

Current Standings (as of 7/31/2016, after the PGA)

1 RORY MCILROY 4,169,004.20

2 DANNY WILLETT 4,044,082.18

3 HENRIK STENSON 3,289,167.60

4 CHRIS WOOD 2,574,311.30

5 Andy SULLIVAN 2,449,414.68

6 Matthew FITZPATRICK 2,202,295.14

7 Rafa CABRERA BELLO 2,169,312.30

8 Soren KJELDSEN 1,765,201.00

9 Victor DUBUISSON 1,672,920.37

10 Thorbjorn OLESEN 1,626,076.81

11 Shane LOWRY 1,514,011.71

12 Lee WESTWOOD 1,501,899.38

13 Tyrrell HATTON 1,477,424.09

14 Kristoffer BROBERG 1,447,993.13

15 Martin KAYMER 1,353,461.05

Every time I hear Hazeltine, I think about the 1970 US Open held there.  Long time tour pro Dave Hill got in trouble by saying it was "missing 80 acres of corn and a few cows tp be a good farm."  

He also said that Robert Trent Jones, who designed the course, had the blueprints upside-down when he laid the course out.  

It has since undergone redesign.

I'm sure time was a factor, but it would have been more fun if they did the Olympics in something similar to Ryder Cup. Team based match play or something like that. More Olympic IMO.

I'll be there all week in the International Pavilion but I don't have any extra tickets. Here is a link to the official ticket exchange. Practice Rounds are especially reasonable and are very fun days too. https://www.primesport.com/d/ryder-cup-tickets

It would be great to meet up with other FBGs that go!
I'm going. I have a full week but will probably sell a few of the practice days tickets. I live in Eden Prairie. 

Why are the US captain picks spread out in two different dates?  Why not just let him pick all 4 players on the latest agreed upon date possible to allow for him to have the most up to date information when making his choices?

Now that the PGA Championship is complete we can start looking forward to the 41st Ryder Cup, to be played September 27th through October 2nd, 2016, at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota. Team USA leads all-time 25-13-2 but Team Europe is 8-2 in the last 10 matches and 10-4-1 since 1985. 
I've been fortunate enough to see two of those US victories. I went to all three days of the 1991 at Kiawah Island which the US won 14.5-13.5 (Langer missed a 6 footer on 18 that would have halved the tourney) and also went in 2008 at Valhalla which the US won 16.5 to 11.5 (only went to the Sunday singles).

Great competition and looking forward to it!  :thumbup:

They aren't allowing any walk-ups onto the course. Sounds crazy but apparently even people who live or rent just blocks away can't walk over. They need to take transit buses $5 each way or park at Canterbury Park for free. 

That fact, and my experience at other golf events and the Ryder Cup tells me that the scalper market will be thin. 

I can keep an eye out for people dumping tickets if anyone is seriously interested. There's usually very little to no activity but you never know. 

My brother received his single day ticket in the mail last Saturday that he bought for a friend to go with us. I saw another guy online say he got his tickets on Monday. 

I have not received my tickets yet. :tumbleweed:  Have you?

My tickets came in the mail!  :towelwave:

Good article here http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/22/12584024/ryder-cup-standings-usa-scenarios-europe-top-8-barclays-rickie-fowler by Kyle Robbins at sbnation on how the teams are shaping up. Summary:

USA

LOCKS

Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Jimmy Walker, Brooks Koepka

ON THE BUBBLE

Brandt Snedeker, Zach Johnson, Patrick Reed, JB Holmes, Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar

WIN (OR MAYBE JUST A TOP 10) AND YOU’RE IN. MAYBE.

Rickie Fowler, Scott Piercy, Bill Haas, Jim Furyk, Daniel Berger, William McGirt, Kevin Chappell, Jason Dufner, Kevin Na, Daniel Summerhays, Charley Hoffman, Ryan Moore

CAPTAIN’S PICKS, RIGHT NOW

Bubba Watson, JB Holmes, Matt Kuchar, Jim Furyk

EUROPE

LOCKS

Rory McIlroy, Danny Willett, Henrik Stenson, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Chris Wood, Matt Fitzpatrick, Andy Sullivan

CAPTAIN’S PICKS, AT THE MOMENT

Martin Kaymer, Russell Knox, Lee Westwood

I just stopped by Hazeltine national pro shop to pick up some shirts and other swag.   Right now any apparel purchased,  proceeds go to the golf club whereas during the week of the Ryder Cup proceeds go to the PGA. 

I watch them building the first tee grandstands and the international pavilion is already up alongside the entire depth of the driving range.

The cute young blonde in the pro shop showed me around the grounds a bit and it's going to be an amazing event. 

Fun fact: the members of the golf club had to carry artificial turf mats with them over the last month and place the mats on par three tee boxes and in the fairway or first cut because they are not allowed to take divots. 

Going to Friday's round. At the PGA several years back, it was often several people deep all the way around some of the holes of the popular groups. With only 4 foursomes on the course at a time on Friday/Saturday, I can't imagine how difficult it will be to see. Probably have to go a few holes ahead of the lead group and sit and wait; then repeat a few times. Looking forward to it though- everyone rooting for USA will be cool. I actually played Hazeltine in high school as well; it's not as beautiful & exciting as some others courses, but it sure is a great test of golf.

Let me know.  I think I can get practice tix.  I'll probably have to do a human sacrifice to get tix for the actual rounds.
Might have some extras for actual rounds. Not sure though. My folks are coming our from BOS for the match, and they got the tickets, but I know they aren't planning on using them all. They aren't too keen on human sacrifices though

some great quotes here from a CBS article:

The Ryder Cup always brings out the stranger, more volatile side of golf, which is always enjoyable to me. Case in point: Golf Digest interviewed players, coaches, caddies and other folks inside the sport about the golfers involved in this year's matches at Hazeltine. All were provided anonymity and gave incredible quotes.

The quotes on Sergio Garcia and Jordan Spieth were probably my two favorites. Let's look at Garcia first.

Sergio Garcia

• "More than any of their guys, Sergio likes to mess with you. He likes to play little B.S. games, and he's comfortable winning playing those B.S. games if he can't beat you with his clubs. It's totally chickens---, and you have to give it right back to him or ignore him. And if you do give it back to him, it can affect him."
Here's more.

• "You can get in his head the easiest, but he still seems tough in the Ryder Cup. If you really wanted to try to rattle him, make him putt everything."
  • "If you need to have the last point of the Ryder Cup, you'd want to see Sergio playing for their side."
  • "Sergio isn't a choker, but has he ever made a putt in a major when it really counted at the end? That's why you feel like he can be beaten."
These are from Americans, and they're quite feisty. Garcia is 18-9-5 in his career in the Ryder Cup, which is pretty incredible. He's actually one of the great Ryder Cup golfers ever, although the point remains that we haven't seen him have to close out the last point yet. I hope he has to this year against Patrick Reed.

Jordan Spieth

• "Best player in the game, but he's high maintenance. I think the way you beat him is to rattle [his caddie] Michael Greller, if that's even possible. Jordan wears him out."
  • "Jordan knows this as well as anyone, but his iron play is fairly weak. He's squeezing it. He's squeezing it with the left hand coming down, and with that bent elbow it's leaving the clubface open."
That was from an American. An American!

• "It's hard to question someone so obviously good, but Jordan's ball-striking is nothing like as good as those around him at the top of the World Ranking -- nothing. There are people I know around the top of the game who call him 'the sclaffer; he can't hit it at all.' But he mis-hits straight, although he can lose it to the right, big-style. We've all seen that."
  • "Yes, his putting is extraordinary, but when he stops holing 20 percent of his 20-footers -- which no one has ever done for a sustained period -- the question arises: Is he that good?"
  •  
  • That was the European take on Spieth. The ball-striking thing is fair. I looked at that the other day. He's been an average ball-striker this year, and it seems like that's the portion of your game that is easiest to control long-term.

Other stand-out quotes

• European on J.B. Holmes: "If there is a worse lag putter in the game, I've yet to see him. I certainly wouldn't want him as a foursomes partner."
  • American on Phil Mickelson: "He's got every shot you can imagine, but the easy shots, the ones right in front of him, he tends to screw up. When he focuses his brain, he can hit any shot. He almost overthinks every shot. So in the Ryder Cup, focusing like he does, he's tough."
  • European on Bubba Watson: "He's easily upset, too. The crowd can get to him. He doesn't like being touched. So he has so much vulnerability."
  • American on Rory McIlroy: "The way to beat Rory is to tell him to show up three hours early with a good night's sleep."
I wouldn't go as far as to say he can't hit it all, but you know Spieth will be fired up at Hazeltine because you know he will read those quotes. Heck, I'm fired up for Hazeltine after reading those quotes. Spieth-Rory McIlroy and Reed-Garcia as the last two singles matches on Sunday would be some all-time drama. In the words of the immortal Bart Scott, "Can't wait!"

I'm hoping Bubba Watson gets the last pick. Guy can be a head case but love his passion and he'll be fired up.

Not a good putter and not a popular guy, 0-3 two years ago.  Love is looking for any excuse not to pick him.
This. The other guys really don't like Bubba, who is one of the most disliked guys on tour according to everything I've seen and read. I'm hoping they go for some younger guys who don't have a history of losing in the Ryder Cup - some guys I like are Daniel Berger and Justin Thomas. I hope like hell Love doesn't go Furyk. 

Not a good putter and not a popular guy, 0-3 two years ago.  Love is looking for any excuse not to pick him.
Not the greatest putter but with his distance he's a nice partner in Foresomes (alt shot). 0-3 is cherry picking as he's 3-5 all time. Not great but still a small sample size IMO.

Is he really not popular? I always thought it was more other golfers didn't understand him. He's definitely an odd ball but he's also pretty intense. At the Olympics he was out rooting for many of the other US athletes. I'd take a guy like that on my team for this format.

Not the greatest putter but with his distance he's a nice partner in Foresomes (alt shot). 0-3 is cherry picking as he's 3-5 all time. Not great but still a small sample size IMO.

Is he really not popular? I always thought it was more other golfers didn't understand him. He's definitely an odd ball but he's also pretty intense. At the Olympics he was out rooting for many of the other US athletes. I'd take a guy like that on my team for this format.
If Love wants him on the team, not sure why he is waiting for the final pick to add him.  Bubba is #7 in the world and just missed out as an automatic qualifier for the team finishing 9th. He is a multiple major winner to boot so from a resume standpoint he is the most obvious pick.  Giving this and factoring in his personality, Love had to know that more than any other golfer Bubba would be pissed by not being one of the initial picks.  It just seems like common sense that Love is really looking to keep him off the team and add Justin Thomas.  His hand might be forced if Bubba outplays Thomas next week at East Lake but to me all indications are that Love is looking elsewhere.

Bubba was a better cheerleader than participant in the Olympics seeing how he didn't come close to a medal.

If Love wants him on the team, not sure why he is waiting for the final pick to add him.  Bubba is #7 in the world and just missed out as an automatic qualifier for the team finishing 9th. He is a multiple major winner to boot so from a resume standpoint he is the most obvious pick.  Giving this and factoring in his personality, Love had to know that more than any other golfer Bubba would be pissed by not being one of the initial picks.  It just seems like common sense that Love is really looking to keep him off the team and add Justin Thomas.  His hand might be forced if Bubba outplays Thomas next week at East Lake but to me all indications are that Love is looking elsewhere.
I'm not in disagreement that Love is looking elsewhere. I'm simply stating that if it were me I'd take Bubba. A captain with more outward fire I think would be more akin to taking Bubba. Love however is extremely mellow and Bubba seems like the kind of player that would rub him the wrong way.

Bubba was a better cheerleader than participant in the Olympics seeing how he didn't come close to a medal.
Yeah, Bubba didn't play too well in Rio. Just saying I think his odd personality is sometimes misunderstood. Put him on a team and I think he'd mesh well.

Love is a complete moron, why would he come out and say his team is the best ever assembled? First off, it isn't close to being true.  The 81 US team combined for like 50 majors and last I looked this current squad only has Tiger as a coach. The US has had their hat handed to them for the last three contest, does he think it is a good idea to put even more pressure on them by declaring them the best ever? Combine that with Miller spouting about the Euro's having a bad team and the Euro's now have motivation and underdog status despite, you know, winning the last 3 ####### matches.

This all clinched it for me, I'm betting Europe and rooting for them once again.

My buddy invited me to go on Friday.

I like golf and all but convince me that this is a "not often, maybe once, in a lifetime" event that will be worth $130.

I like golf and all but convince me that this is a "not often, maybe once, in a lifetime" event that will be worth $130.
I paid 700 for the week. You will never have this event this close to home ever again. From what I hear the atmosphere is totally different. You will see these guys absolutely charged up. 

I'm biased cause I love golf and live like 10 minutes from the course but going one day?  No brainer IMO. Much rather spend it on that than a Vikes game or any other single event. 

Andy Dufresne said:

It's the Ryder Cup! There is no convincing. Even though I attended in 2004, I've been waiting for this event since April 22nd, 2002.  :excited:

Andy Dufresne said:

I hate you?

So Ryan Moore is the last addition.  Not sure if I like our chances again this year.  Fowler is the weakest spot, imo.  He can be very good or very bad.  Doesn't seem to be much steadiness with him.  I like Jimmy Walker and Koepka.. and Patrick Reed.  DJ and Spieth need to step up and represent.  

Users who are viewing this thread