What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will there be a Fanduel FBG Championship again? (1 Viewer)

Yes...although there may be a minor shake-up in whom you have to beat each week to obtain your entries into the championship. ;)

More details to come.

5 experts, now.

More max entries per week for worse double-up odds.

$20,000 pool instead of $40,0000.

Not quite as enticing.

I have no problem with them adding more pro's to beat, but making the odds worse on the double ups and cutting the prize pool in half is a deal breaker for me. I will check back next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 experts, now.

More max entries per week for worse double-up odds.

$20,000 pool instead of $40,0000.

Not quite as enticing.
You're going to see a lot of prize reductions this year because of key states deciding against the legality of DFS. When the details of the contest were decided upon, New York was still on that list and NY represents ~ 10% of the DFS-playing population (it has since been approved). As of today, there are 11 states in which DFS is illegal (for FD). Just look at the championship prize pools this year--they're significantly less than last year and those are marquis events for the various sites.

I have no problem with them adding more pro's to beat, but making the odds worse on the double ups and cutting the prize pool in half is a deal breaker for me. I will check back next year.
I didn't play in this series last year, so I can't comment on the odds being worse...but here is my take: The typical rake on large-field 50/50's on FD this year is around 13%. The rake on this contest, assuming it fills every week, is 15%...but there is a $20K bonus for anybody who qualifies for the Week 11 Championship, which significantly tilts the odds in favor of the folks playing in the FBG Championship. Over the course of the season, the contest (if filled every week) will take in $115K...but will pay out $120K.

If those odds make this contest a "deal breaker" for you, please share where you're finding better odds/payouts.

Just because it is better odds than other contests, which is debatable, since I am not a DFS guru and only play on one site. Doesn't mean I have to play when they make the odds worse. Whether it is right or not making cuts on tournament payout for a company that is making that kind of money looks bad. Anyways good luck to everyone. I will check back next year. 

Just because it is better odds than other contests, which is debatable, since I am not a DFS guru and only play on one site. Doesn't mean I have to play when they make the odds worse. Whether it is right or not making cuts on tournament payout for a company that is making that kind of money looks bad. Anyways good luck to everyone. I will check back next year. 

Not trying to antagonize you here, but there is literally no debate about the odds. The numbers don't lie...if the contest pays out more than it takes in, that's the type of contest you want to enter. Always.

And the comment "...on tournament payout for a company that is making that kind of money looks bad" is also incorrect. I assume you were talking about FanDuel and, if you were, their books have been open for years and they have never shown a profit. Footballguys makes literally no money off this contest--it is a perk for their subscribers.

Not trying to antagonize you here, but there is literally no debate about the odds. The numbers don't lie...if the contest pays out more than it takes in, that's the type of contest you want to enter. Always.

And the comment "...on tournament payout for a company that is making that kind of money looks bad" is also incorrect. I assume you were talking about FanDuel and, if you were, their books have been open for years and they have never shown a profit. Footballguys makes literally no money off this contest--it is a perk for their subscribers.
You are trying yo antagonize me and you are right the tournaments to get into are the ones that pay more than they take in, but when you start lowering the perks I an going to boycott the tournament, if enough people feel the way I do maybe they will change it back. If not it will survive without me. 

The fan duel has never shown a profit is such a weak and lame stance, as is the FGB site making no money off it. This perk helps them make money else where, just as it does for Fanduel. My husband's company he works for hasn't shown a profit ever as well, they have been in business since 1982. Go figure.

Anyways I will say it for the last time good luck to everyone and I will check back next year. 

I understand not wanting to enter this contest if you don't want to play at FanDuel.

If you are going to play at FanDuel and it's just a matter of which contest to enter, I don't think you'll find one with a better EV than this one. (If you do, please post it in this forum so the rest of us can enter it as well. :) )

Of course, not everything is about EV. Some people like the thrill of competing for $1 million prize, which this contest doesn't offer, so I understand that it's not for everybody.

I love both sites.

FD not making a profit and spending what they did on advertising was calculated. They were everywhere. I assume this year will be very nice for them

You are trying yo antagonize me and you are right the tournaments to get into are the ones that pay more than they take in, but when you start lowering the perks I an going to boycott the tournament, if enough people feel the way I do maybe they will change it back. If not it will survive without me. 

The fan duel has never shown a profit is such a weak and lame stance, as is the FGB site making no money off it. This perk helps them make money else where, just as it does for Fanduel. My husband's company he works for hasn't shown a profit ever as well, they have been in business since 1982. Go figure.

Anyways I will say it for the last time good luck to everyone and I will check back next year. 
I'm not tracking with your thought-process, MSU. It's still a +EV play, albeit closer to break-even than it was last year. Seems like it's a better play than a "regular" $10 double-up. Assuming you're going to play $10 in double-ups, not playing this contest out of spite will hurt your bottom line. 

I'm not tracking with your thought-process, MSU. It's still a +EV play, albeit closer to break-even than it was last year. Seems like it's a better play than a "regular" $10 double-up. Assuming you're going to play $10 in double-ups, not playing this contest out of spite will hurt your bottom line. 
I am on my phone so this will be a quick response. I hate double ups. I do much better and the cut line is usually lower in 5050 especially against mutli entry double ups. So if you lower the EV that much, plus make it a larger field for the double up, then I prefer to keep my money in the 5050, where I have a better track record of winning. 

I am on my phone so this will be a quick response. I hate double ups. I do much better and the cut line is usually lower in 5050 especially against mutli entry double ups. So if you lower the EV that much, plus make it a larger field for the double up, then I prefer to keep my money in the 5050, where I have a better track record of winning. 
That at least helps me make some sense of your approach.  For whatever reason you dislike double-ups, the old +EV was enough to overcome that dislike, and the new +EV is not enough to overcome that dislike.

achemen said:
I see blackeyedjoe sitting at 228 with 111.6 pts, anyone happen to see where the other 4 are?
  • Dodds (jigandreel) is sitting at 107.40 with Antonio Brown left to play (291st overall)
  • Bob Henry (stringer_bell) is at 94.58 with Antonio Brown left to play (529th overall)
  • Maurile (klmq) currently has 82.46 with Antonio Brown and DeAngelo left to go (787th overall)
  • Me (tipandpick)? I have 99.00 points with Gurley and Reed left to play (463rd overall)

Hopefully with this score - 149.8 (124 of 1089)  I got a ticket :popcorn:

I see Maurile at 143.16 in 210th place. Is there a 'search for entry' function on FD that I'm missing? Also, is there a max # of tickets you can win?

I see Maurile at 143.16 in 210th place. Is there a 'search for entry' function on FD that I'm missing? Also, is there a max # of tickets you can win?
Lol, I'm 209th.  I got a ticket so I guess he was the highest.  I beat him by .02.

Yes...although there may be a minor shake-up in whom you have to beat each week to obtain your entries into the championship. ;)

More details to come.
Any chance you will post h2h contests again like you did last year?  I love scooping free money and feel like I'm missing out this year as I have not seen any h2h's offered by either you or steviet or other easy RG marks.  I'm guessing you guys have realized you can market yourselves well but cannot actually compete with the pros?   I'm glad you can talk like a pro but I have yet to see you make long-term profitable decisions, such as when you started Johnny Manziel against me on 12/13/15 last year and I pwn3d you ;)

Want to do a $100 heads-up every week (or $500 or more)?  If you just want to coast on your sponsorship deals I understand, you have done a great job marketing yourself, something I could use lessons on!   Good luck either way!

Any chance you will post h2h contests again like you did last year?  I love scooping free money and feel like I'm missing out this year as I have not seen any h2h's offered by either you or steviet or other easy RG marks.  I'm guessing you guys have realized you can market yourselves well but cannot actually compete with the pros?   I'm glad you can talk like a pro but I have yet to see you make long-term profitable decisions, such as when you started Johnny Manziel against me on 12/13/15 last year and I pwn3d you ;)

Want to do a $100 heads-up every week (or $500 or more)?  If you just want to coast on your sponsorship deals I understand, you have done a great job marketing yourself, something I could use lessons on!   Good luck either way!
harsh but fair!

Two weeks, two entries, two tickets to the final.  Not too bad for a low stakes DFS noob.  This contest is paying for my GPP learning curve.

Not sure what I did to agitate you, but sure...Post the contest, send me the link via PM, and I'll join. 

For somebody who is apparently as successful as you are, I'm surprised you remember the exact details of when you have beaten little ole' me. 

We'll also ignore the fact that you know pretty much know who I'm playing in advance since I share it with the masses here and RG. For the record, that is a large reason why I have gotten away from H2H's...you can still find me in many different 50/50's across DK, FD, and Aces. 

Last year's final results from the FantasyPros "Expert" contest, where I finished 10th overall: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/accuracy/daily-fantasy-experts.php, but, yeah, I'm a mark.  :unsure:

John Lee said:
Not sure what I did to agitate you, but sure...Post the contest, send me the link via PM, and I'll join. 

For somebody who is apparently as successful as you are, I'm surprised you remember the exact details of when you have beaten little ole' me. 

We'll also ignore the fact that you know pretty much know who I'm playing in advance since I share it with the masses here and RG. For the record, that is a large reason why I have gotten away from H2H's...you can still find me in many different 50/50's across DK, FD, and Aces. 

Last year's final results from the FantasyPros "Expert" contest, where I finished 10th overall: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/accuracy/daily-fantasy-experts.php, but, yeah, I'm a mark.  :unsure:
As far as agitating goes, it has to do with your default reaction to protect the industry over the players, such as trying to defend continuous rake increases by the sites.  FD and DK have both been profitable when accounting for what their normal spending would be when not intentionally choosing to overspend on advertising in years past at attempts at infinite growth which we all know are not possible (and their CEO's have admitted so).  We are probably already raking more than is sustainable yet industry pundits like you keep supporting more rake increases (that are only going to continue) instead of joining with the players and lobbying sites due to short-term interests that are hurting the industry long-term.  Just because the industry leaders are terrible at managing their own finances (and companies) does not mean every player should have to pay the price  FD and DK probably both deserve to go out of business and be replaced by companies that are managed more properly, hopefully some other sites with lower rake will be able to end up competing with them.  This was starting to happen until the legislation fiasco.  If the rake goes any higher the industry is dead.

That being said, I'm not sure why I was so agitated the other night.  I was pretty intoxicated but that is not an excuse as I still knew what I was doing.  I do apologize for my tone being overly harsh. I'm not a big pro or anything, just a casual player that has been slightly profitable every year that sees the industry being destroyed by its own greed.  I would like to be able to keep playing this fun hobby but the direction it is going I won't be able to.

As far as agitating goes, it has to do with your default reaction to protect the industry over the players, such as trying to defend continuous rake increases by the sites.  FD and DK have both been profitable when accounting for what their normal spending would be when not intentionally choosing to overspend on advertising in years past at attempts at infinite growth which we all know are not possible (and their CEO's have admitted so).  We are probably already raking more than is sustainable yet industry pundits like you keep supporting more rake increases (that are only going to continue) instead of joining with the players and lobbying sites due to short-term interests that are hurting the industry long-term.  Just because the industry leaders are terrible at managing their own finances (and companies) does not mean every player should have to pay the price  FD and DK probably both deserve to go out of business and be replaced by companies that are managed more properly, hopefully some other sites with lower rake will be able to end up competing with them.  This was starting to happen until the legislation fiasco.  If the rake goes any higher the industry is dead.

That being said, I'm not sure why I was so agitated the other night.  I was pretty intoxicated but that is not an excuse as I still knew what I was doing.  I do apologize for my tone being overly harsh. I'm not a big pro or anything, just a casual player that has been slightly profitable every year that sees the industry being destroyed by its own greed.  I would like to be able to keep playing this fun hobby but the direction it is going I won't be able to.
I appreciate the candor about your state of mind when you posted what you did. I truly wondered what I had done to draw that kind of negative attention...

Regarding my stance on the sites and their rake increases, if you can find one single mention of me defending the rake increases in anything I've posted, recorded, or otherwise shared in social media, I'll PayPal you the $100 you referenced in your previous post. I have been a vocal opponent of rake increases, removal of referral bonuses, and reduction of rake-back (i.e., FPP's, etc) for some time now. Anybody who has asked me about these things, privately or publicly, has gotten my honest opinion. I, literally, was texting with a close friend earlier today about how the sites are pricing grinders out of the business; with the latest rake increases (15%), it has me second-guessing how long I want to stick around the industry.

The two times (where I can remember) where I've been vocal about supporting the companies were:

1) When Ethan (Haskell) was accused of wrongdoing by the mass media prior to getting his fair shake. I think time has shown that he was not guilty of any wrongdoing, as two different investigations (one by DK and one independent) both concluded.

2) Recently, a person in this thread said that playing in the FBG Championship was dramatically less favorable to the players involved, in terms of odds and payouts. I also stand by my statements to that individual because that contest is structured with built-in overlay.

In both of these cases, I would state that I was more in support of the facts than the companies themselves. In both instances, my opinion was based on what-I-perceived-to-be facts...although I will admit that some people may be less inclined to agree with me about #1.

Why the change in #'s?  5 max entries, now, and 920 total.  Trouble filling?

And what is the max # of tickets to week 11?

I appreciate the candor about your state of mind when you posted what you did. I truly wondered what I had done to draw that kind of negative attention...

Regarding my stance on the sites and their rake increases, if you can find one single mention of me defending the rake increases in anything I've posted, recorded, or otherwise shared in social media, I'll PayPal you the $100 you referenced in your previous post. I have been a vocal opponent of rake increases, removal of referral bonuses, and reduction of rake-back (i.e., FPP's, etc) for some time now. Anybody who has asked me about these things, privately or publicly, has gotten my honest opinion. I, literally, was texting with a close friend earlier today about how the sites are pricing grinders out of the business; with the latest rake increases (15%), it has me second-guessing how long I want to stick around the industry.

The two times (where I can remember) where I've been vocal about supporting the companies were:

1) When Ethan (Haskell) was accused of wrongdoing by the mass media prior to getting his fair shake. I think time has shown that he was not guilty of any wrongdoing, as two different investigations (one by DK and one independent) both concluded.

2) Recently, a person in this thread said that playing in the FBG Championship was dramatically less favorable to the players involved, in terms of odds and payouts. I also stand by my statements to that individual because that contest is structured with built-in overlay.

In both of these cases, I would state that I was more in support of the facts than the companies themselves. In both instances, my opinion was based on what-I-perceived-to-be facts...although I will admit that some people may be less inclined to agree with me about #1.
It looks like I owe you a big apology.  I have some extremely negative feelings towards RG based on how they have overly-protected the industry and censored player voices, and I just blindly projected them onto you, for that I'm sorry.  I'm also completely sorry for my tone and aggression towards you, as for that I have no excuse and was just out of line. I agree with everything you said that this is the exact type of contest players should want to enter.  The one thing I think that was slightly overlooked (not necessarily by you), was the concern that it is now harder to cash as rake has gone up across the board resulting in more entries and less winners (on a percentage basis), which is still a valid concern as that is a site-wide thing, but now that I have re-read you are clearly against rake increases and was only talking specific to this contest being a net-positive. 

Good luck this season, also thank you for explaining why you are not offering as many h2h's anymore, that is completely reasonable.  If I happen to see you offering any I will still be glad to join a few.  While I like to talk a big talk, we would probably be pretty close to just trading rake.  There are a lot of easier marks out there that takes up most of my free time trying to target.

Why the change in #'s?  5 max entries, now, and 920 total.  Trouble filling?

And what is the max # of tickets to week 11?
Normally the site has its most casual users at the beginning of the year and it declines as the season goes on.  That would be why they are increasing the number of entries allowed per individual while reducing the max amount of entries, yes, to make sure the contest fills or comes close to it.  I believe they have done similar in years past, but perhaps not as quickly or extremely as they have done already.

It is now a mature market as opposed to a growing market so I expect future contests to be even worse than this year, as the sites have completely blown investor capital without providing any returns, and now are being pinched by investors to get something back for their money short-term, which is just going to result in a net long-term loss for everyone, players, sites, and investors included.

As far as I know, the max to week 11 is still 10 entries.

Looks like Stringer_Bell was the top expert with 116.96 good for 356th place. I thought for sure one of the 'targets' would have had a better score than that. Good news for a lot of us.

Users who are viewing this thread