What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kids Back to School 1970s vs Now (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
http://www.scarymommy.com/back-to-school-the-70s-vs-today/?utm_medium=partner&utm_source=howdoesshe

More geared toward moms than men but it's pretty ####### hilarious (if long) read. Especially the 1970s part for all you middle aged gen Xers. 

Back to School, 1970s

1. Take the kids downtown to go shopping at Sears for back to school clothes the last week of August. Get everyone a new pair of corduroys and a striped tee shirt. Buy the boys a pair of dungarees and the girls a pair of culottes. No, Jennifer, you can’t have that orange and red poncho. Promise you will crochet her a better one with much more fringe. Get the girls a package of that rainbow, fuzzy yarn they like in their hair. You are done. You have spent a total of $43.00. Now take everyone to the Woolworth’s lunch counter for grilled cheeses and chocolate milk.

2. On the night before the first day of school (that would be the Sunday night after Labor Day, of course, you know, mid-September) throw the kids in the way back of the station wagon and drag them downtown to Eckerds, K-Mart, Ames, Dollar General, Drug Fair or the like and hurry them over to the back-to-school area to pick out a lunchbox. Make sure to tell them get a move on because you don’t have all night for them to make a damn decision. They need to get in bed by eight and yes, they’re going to miss the Wonderful World of Disney if they can’t decide between The Fonz and Dukes of Hazzard. Good Lord, why is it so hard for them to pick? Tell Kimberly if she can’t make up her mind between Holly Hobbie and The Bionic Woman then you’re going to pick Pigs in Space and you don’t want to hear another word about it until June. Grab a composition book for each of them and a pack of pencils too. That’s all they need. Remember to save some grocery bags so they can cover their textbooks with them after the first day of school.

I remember a Woolworths downtown, or maybe the old Woolworths.  Not sure if it was closed mid-80's or not.  Did they really have a lunch counter that served grilled cheese & chocolate milk?

So stay at home mom's have always been lazy ####s.  Got it.

I remember a Woolworths downtown, or maybe the old Woolworths.  Not sure if it was closed mid-80's or not.  Did they really have a lunch counter that served grilled cheese & chocolate milk?

Oh hell yes.  Also cheeseburgers and great chocolate sodas, vanilla cokes, etc.  

My mom wouldn't let me wear jeans to school.  I always got a couple pair of the Levi's khaki colored pants and navy blue.  Also got a few shirts and of course the precious lunchbox until they became uncool (5th grade) - you had to go with the brown paper bag.  

I did have the blue Beatles lunchbox for a couple of years I loved it so much - 1st & 2nd grade.  

I remember being dragged to Woolworth's downtown by my mom.  Blue jeans, t-shirts, one pair of tan corduroys.  I remember wanting a new Adidas sports shirt so bad.  Finally got this one at a discount outlet store close to the Tasty Freeze.  But mine was white with red stripes on the shoulders.  

new backpacks every year?  :no:  

we bought each of our sons a good backpack from Land's End with their initials when they started Kindergarten.  My 8th grader still uses his and they replaced our 6th grader's pack for free last year (had to pay for initials).

seems appropriate

Last edited by a moderator:
Ministry of Pain said:
We were poor, had to brown bag it. Always jealous of the kids with lunch boxes. 
Penny wise and pound foolish.  We got metal lunch boxes, but had to keep them until they fell apart.  Of course they were made to last back then.  I only remember having a Pigs in Space lunch box, so I assume it was the only one I ever had.

Never had a trapper keeper until middle school, when my oldest sister was off paying her own way through college, so there was one less hungry mouth to feed.

My book bag was something my mom sewed together.  I'm pretty sure it was cool to show off in 1st grade, but probably looked like an oversized man-purse in 5th grade.

Penny wise and pound foolish.  We got metal lunch boxes, but had to keep them until they fell apart.  Of course they were made to last back then.  I only remember having a Pigs in Space lunch box, so I assume it was the only one I ever had.

Never had a trapper keeper until middle school, when my oldest sister was off paying her own way through college, so there was one less hungry mouth to feed.

My book bag was something my mom sewed together.  I'm pretty sure it was cool to show off in 1st grade, but probably looked like an oversized man-purse in 5th grade.
I was just trying to play the poor card...I had a lunchbox. 

My lunch box was Emergency--fireman show with Randolph Manytooth as Gage and his partner DeSoto back in the day. 

I remember they made a cartoon  spin off that came on like at 5 o'clock on Saturdays. I would get up early  every Saturday to see that and I think they didn't make many episodes so they were always repeats. 

We shipped at Wolco which was Woolworth's uppity cousin.  It was kind of an early version of Target. 

The Jerry Lewis telethon was always the symbol of summer being over. Now my kids go back to school next week  with an expanded school day to boot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All the kids had cool new plastic lunch boxes, with cool cartoons and toys on the outside.

My mom got me some metal Happy Days lunch box. Yard sale or something, had to be.  Devastating.

I had to kick some 1st grade butt in the cafeteria for a day or two. Seriously, PBJ's went flying.

Funny thing tho, I loved that lunch box after that. It was like, hells yah, that's my metal lunch box. Got a problem with that? 

My lunch box was Emergency--fireman show with Randolph Manytooth as Gage and his partner DeSoto back in the day. 

I remember they made a cartoon  spin off that came on like at 5 o'clock on Saturdays. I would get up early  every Saturday to see that and I think they didn't make many episodes so they were always repeats. 

We shipped at Wolco which was Woolworth's uppity cousin.  It was kind of an early version of Target. 

The Jerry Lewis telethon was always the symbol of summer being over. Now my kids go back to school next week  with an expanded school day to boot. 
I remember that show.  My brother and I loved it.  We even had the board game.

I had a metal Speed Buggy lunch box.  And yes, the thermos was awesome. 

I started getting Mead Trapper keepers in 5th grade (1980-81)

Was Dixie McCall on said lunchbox?

My mom thought she was being clever when she sewed a "Levis" emblem onto my Toughskins jeans, but the trademark "X" thread pattern on the pockets gave me away. I came home from school that day in a heap of tears. So we made a trip to Goodwill and found a real pair of Levi's. They were 4 sizes too big, but it was nothing that a little hemming couldn't take care of. For the rest of the year I wore the baggiest pair of pants that you ever saw on an 8-year old, but at least no one ever gave me crap about being too poor to afford real clothes.

Yup, guess we are all about the same age. I had the 76' lunchbox too. Always remember it because they screwed up the expansion and had Seattle and Tampa on the wrong sides

I got my first lunchbox in 4th grade.  Mom had always thought that buying brown bags was cheaper in the long run.  Finally after I begged and begged for a metal lunchbox my mom bought me one.

On her own.  Without me.   On sale at Kmart for like $1.50

Six Million Dollar Man?  No.    Happy Days?  Nope.   Batman?  Nah.

It was this one  Nothing says "cool" like a generic cartoon family driving through Ohio.   

I covered every square inch of that monstrosity in Wacky Package stickers.

Users who are viewing this thread