What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#1 overall PPR draft strategy (1 Viewer)

In my 12-team PPR league, start 1,2,2,1,1,1 with 1 flex (RB, WR, TE), I'm probably going to draft WR, WR, WR in the first three rounds unless something strange happens. My dream scenario is Brown, K. Allen, D. Thomas in rounds 1-3. After that I'll fill in my other positions, but I'm thinking that would be a pretty damn good start.

In my 12-team PPR league, start 1,2,2,1,1,1 with 1 flex (RB, WR, TE), I'm probably going to draft WR, WR, WR in the first three rounds unless something strange happens. My dream scenario is Brown, K. Allen, D. Thomas in rounds 1-3. After that I'll fill in my other positions, but I'm thinking that would be a pretty damn good start.
That's not bad.  What RB's would you look after rd 3?  

It's interesting the differences in thoughts on which WR's to take at the 2/3 turn. Not every league will have the same players available but I very often see (in mocks at least) a huge range of WR's available there such as Cooks, Marshall, Hilton, Evans, all of whom I have ranked personally (so far) above K.Allen and D.Thomas. Maybe i'm just scared off by Denver's QB situation. I mean DT had an off year last year but still had 1300 yards so maybe i'm the one missing something. I was thinking Brown/OBJ, followed by Marshall/Evans but maybe i'll reconsider, interesting discussion.

It's interesting the differences in thoughts on which WR's to take at the 2/3 turn. Not every league will have the same players available but I very often see (in mocks at least) a huge range of WR's available there such as Cooks, Marshall, Hilton, Evans, all of whom I have ranked personally (so far) above K.Allen and D.Thomas. Maybe i'm just scared off by Denver's QB situation. I mean DT had an off year last year but still had 1300 yards so maybe i'm the one missing something. I was thinking Brown/OBJ, followed by Marshall/Evans but maybe i'll reconsider, interesting discussion.
Well, admittedly, I'm a bigger DT fan than most. I think he's elite, and I think he will actually have better QB play than he did last year. But, I fully understand the hesitation some people have, and I'm hoping I can get him in the 3rd in all my leagues.

Well, admittedly, I'm a bigger DT fan than most. I think he's elite, and I think he will actually have better QB play than he did last year. But, I fully understand the hesitation some people have, and I'm hoping I can get him in the 3rd in all my leagues.
Likely, he appears to be a mid-3rd rounder which could be excellent value. Like I mentioned, he had 1300 yards in a down year with a lot of drops and very iffy QB play, not to mention a team that was hugely proficient on defense and perhaps didn't throw as much as years past. I think starting at 1 with Brown, then following up with 2 more WR's whomever they may be, is a good way to go, but there's the last of the decent RB's sitting there also, guys like Ingram (sometimes), Martin and McCoy so lots to consider at that spot.

That's not bad.  What RB's would you look after rd 3?  
I'm not really sure. Hyde, Dion Lewis, Jeremy Hill, Duke Johnson, and Woodhead are all guys I would take if they fell to me at the right spot. Hyde is probably out of the question, but he's another guy I'm higher on than most, but I expect he'll go well before my fourth round pick.

I prefer to lock up the best WRs right away.  If a great RB is available then I'll take him early.  I after the 3rd round I like RBs like Duke Johnson, Ryan Mathews, Gio Bernard, Danny Woodhead and Theo Riddick.  Basically any backs that will get a lot of receptions.

I have almost never seen Allen make it to the end of round 2 in PPR, maybe he would last there in standard. I think more realistic targets are Cooks, Marshall(may start drifting up after Fitz signing?), Cooper, and Hilton. 

Taking D.Thomas is early based on his ADP but I agree with Kutta. Love the floor on that guy and I don't think the DEN defense is going to be close to as good as last year. The skill at the QB position may be SLIGHTLY worse but I think the attempts will have to go up so the floor on Thomas is just so safe.

Devonta Freeman is all over the board but he is more likely to be there at the end of the 2nd round than Allen in the drafts I've been in. In PPR he is a pretty safe pick as well, and he's already shown the potential to have huge games to pair with his high PPR floor. 

Strongly leaning towards Brown at 1.01, but the old day player in me is just having a hard time considering WR at 1.01 overall.  If there ever was a year that I didn't want the 1st pick (I have always had better seasons drafting from the end of the 1st), this would be the year.

My ideal roster construction this year from the 1.01 goes something like this..

1.01 - Antonio Brown
2.12 - KAllen/Jeffrey/Nelson/Evans/Cooper
3.01 - DThomas/Hilton/ Watkins/Cobb
4.12 - Maclin/Baldwin/Tate/Decker
5.01 - Russell Wilson (or another of 4.12 WRs)
6.12 - Giovani Bernard/Duke Johnson
7.01 - Arian Foster/TJ Yeldon
8.12 - Rashard Jennings
9.01 - Charles Sims
10.12 - Ertz
11.01 - Gates

I think you have to take wr in rounds 1-3.

the rbs in round 4-5, if you want one, are basically the same as the ones available at the end of round 2/beg round 3

might as well have 3 of  the top WR in the game

Strongly leaning towards Brown at 1.01, but the old day player in me is just having a hard time considering WR at 1.01 overall.  If there ever was a year that I didn't want the 1st pick (I have always had better seasons drafting from the end of the 1st), this would be the year.
are you complaining about having to draft Antonio Brown?  dude is a an overwhelming overall number 1 in PPR or standard.  hes awesome 

are you complaining about having to draft Antonio Brown?  dude is a an overwhelming overall number 1 in PPR or standard.  hes awesome 
Not complaining at all, just feel dirty taking a WR at #1 lol.  Just the old fashioned guy in me.  (remember when you were lucky if you saw 1 Wr go in the first round?)

standard 12 team ppr with no flex

1.01 - A. Brown

2.12 - Eddie Lacy

3.01 - Sammy Watkins

4.12 - Latavius Murray

5.01 - Jordan Matthews

6.12 - Tom Brady

7.01 - Arian Foster

8.12 - Julius Thomas

Championship

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown at #1 or you're pretty dumb, quite frankly. If Ben played a full season last year, Brown would have shredded the receptions record. After that, feel free to debate.

I think you have to take wr in rounds 1-3.

the rbs in round 4-5, if you want one, are basically the same as the ones available at the end of round 2/beg round 3

might as well have 3 of  the top WR in the game
The RBs in rounds 4-5 make my skin crawl tbh, I'd much rather get the value at WR/QB/TE and get nice arbitrage option in rounds 6-7

The RBs in rounds 4-5 make my skin crawl tbh, I'd much rather get the value at WR/QB/TE and get nice arbitrage option in rounds 6-7
I see people use the word arbitrage a lot in fantasy, but I don't think it's exactly being used correctly. Anyway, I strongly agree with your main point. 

I see people use the word arbitrage a lot in fantasy, but I don't think it's exactly being used correctly. Anyway, I strongly agree with your main point. 
To me it means I can get a player that has similar upside/floor at a cheaper price.  It definitely is a fantasy buzzword

To me it means I can get a player that has similar upside/floor at a cheaper price.  It definitely is a fantasy buzzword
Yeah that's not what an arbitrage is as I understood it from my little bit of Econ knowledge, but I totally agree that I would rather have Gio Bernard and he's going a couple rounds after Hill. 

Arbitrage in fantasy would be if I know player A would be willing to give a 1st round pick for Latavious Murray. Player B owns Murray and tells me he would trade him for a 2nd round pick.  So I have two deals in place where I am guaranteed to profit. I send my 2nd for Murray to player B and then Murray to player A for a 1st.

Yeah that's not what an arbitrage is as I understood it from my little bit of Econ knowledge, but I totally agree that I would rather have Gio Bernard and he's going a couple rounds after Hill. 

Arbitrage in fantasy would be if I know player A would be willing to give a 1st round pick for Latavious Murray. Player B owns Murray and tells me he would trade him for a 2nd round pick.  So I have two deals in place where I am guaranteed to profit. I send my 2nd for Murray to player B and then Murray to player A for a 1st.
You are failing to consider the possibility of making trade A and trade B never comes to fruition and you are stuck with LatMurray.  This is the risk factor.

Yeah that's not what an arbitrage is as I understood it from my little bit if Econ knowledge, but I totally agree that I would rather have Gio Bernard and he's doing a couple rounds after Hill. 

You are probably right from an Econ perspective.  Looking at the definition it does align to what you are saying.  That said every time i've seen it used on twitter,articles,etc it's in the context of two players who offer similar value propositions at a different price.   I think that the latter could also be interpreted from it when just applying the "differing prices for the same asset" to a fantasy perspective. 

the simultaneous buying and selling of securities, currency, or commodities in different markets or in derivative forms in order to take advantage of differing prices for the same asset.
Either way, 4th-5th RBs are  :X

I'm not really sure. Hyde, Dion Lewis, Jeremy Hill, Duke Johnson, and Woodhead are all guys I would take if they fell to me at the right spot. Hyde is probably out of the question, but he's another guy I'm higher on than most, but I expect he'll go well before my fourth round pick.
Yeah Hyde/Lewis are not sniffing the end of the 4th round in PPR leagues.  They will be long gone.

You are failing to consider the possibility of making trade A and trade B never comes to fruition and you are stuck with LatMurray.  This is the risk factor.
Ofcourse, there's always risk but arbitrage is usually set up to totally avoid risk. 

I actually have the #1 pick in one of my leagues this year.  It's a 12 team PPR

Obviously going AB #1...at the 2/3 turn I'm more likely than not going WR-WR as well but the one RB who tends to fall to that spot who tempts me is Mark Ingram.  He's got absolute garbage behind him so he's as close to a sure bet in regards to being a 3 down back as you'll see in the NFL these days.

To me, that's the biggest question.  It's either WR-WR-WR or WR-WR-Ingram.  I'm scared as to what WR will be there at the 4/5 turn so I'm leaning going with the 3 receivers but Ingram is tempting.  If I knew for sure that someone like Tate would be there at the 4/5 turn I'd take Ingram in a heartbeat but in most mocks he's gone before that.

As for the 2/3 turn, you're dreaming if you think K. Allen will be there.  I'd do a backflip if he was since I personally have him as top 10 ppr option but I'd be shocked if he falls that far in a ppr. More likely than not I'll be choosing between the likes of Evans, Jeffrey, Cooks, Cooper, etc etc.  I'm really struggling with ranking the WR's that fall to that range cause in my mind there is a clear drop off once you get past K. Allen.  If you put a gun to my head as of today I'm leaning Evans and Cooper but my opinion changes daily on this group.

I actually have the #1 pick in one of my leagues this year.  It's a 12 team PPR

Obviously going AB #1...at the 2/3 turn I'm more likely than not going WR-WR as well but the one RB who tends to fall to that spot who tempts me is Mark Ingram.  He's got absolute garbage behind him so he's as close to a sure bet in regards to being a 3 down back as you'll see in the NFL these days.

To me, that's the biggest question.  It's either WR-WR-WR or WR-WR-Ingram.  I'm scared as to what WR will be there at the 4/5 turn so I'm leaning going with the 3 receivers but Ingram is tempting.  If I knew for sure that someone like Tate would be there at the 4/5 turn I'd take Ingram in a heartbeat but in most mocks he's gone before that.

As for the 2/3 turn, you're dreaming if you think K. Allen will be there.  I'd do a backflip if he was since I personally have him as top 10 ppr option but I'd be shocked if he falls that far in a ppr. More likely than not I'll be choosing between the likes of Evans, Jeffrey, Cooks, Cooper, etc etc.  I'm really struggling with ranking the WR's that fall to that range cause in my mind there is a clear drop off once you get past K. Allen.  If you put a gun to my head as of today I'm leaning Evans and Cooper but my opinion changes daily on this group.
Keenan Allen ADP is 2.07 so it is a bit optimistic to think he'd fall, but I did list a group of players.   Gimme Alshon & Demaryius at the 2.12/2.01 turn and I'd be super happy.  

People in my leagues still draft qbs early so some of the better rbs might slide to me.   Prob still go wr wr wr

1.01 - Antonio Brown
8.12 - Rashard Jennings
9.01 - Charles Sims
10.12 - Ertz
11.01 - Gates
Is Foster really falling that far? I suspect he's going to climb quite a bit as we get closer to the season.

Duke Johnson seems like a bit of a steal at 6.12, too. 

I haven't really done much prep for redrafts, yet, so I'm not sure what other options might be available. If you were able to land Foster (behind the improved OLine in Miami) and Duke (assuming he secures the primary role) then that team is interesting, and could be solid. If you don't get Foster and Duke that's a really scary team, though.

Also, I don't like the idea of painting myself into a corner where I have to draft a specific position. That's what you;ll have to do round 6 on, and you could really get stuck at the end of some long runs.

Also, I don't like the idea of painting myself into a corner where I have to draft a specific position. That's what you;ll have to do round 6 on, and you could really get stuck at the end of some long runs.
Totally agree with that statement and am leaning towards Brown/RB/WR at the 2/3 turn so that I leave options open later in the draft.  When I have gone really heavy on one position there is usually a point in the draft where I realize I could have waited and let value fall to me instead of hoarding up on one position early.  Instead, I had to pass on what was obvious value because I had needs at other positions.  Depends on who's there, but I would be fine with an Ingram/McCoy type back and taking Hilton/Cooper or someone like that at the turn.  In the drafts I have been doing those guys are all typically there.  A lot of the other guys mentioned here haven't typically lasted to the turn (K. Allen/Jeffery/Nelson/Evans) in the drafts I have been doing.

1.01 - Antonio Brown
8.12 - Rashard Jennings
9.01 - Charles Sims
10.12 - Ertz
11.01 - Gates
Not a bad idea, but in my experiences this year, your ADP'S are off starting in the 4th. 

Your receivers at 4.12 are all gone. They start going at the end of the 3rd and are gone by 4.06ish usually. 

You can hold off on Wilson until the 6/7 turn. 

Duke and Gio are both going in the mid 5th to mid 6th. 

Yeldon has  dropped into the 9th. 

Ertz is going in the 9th or early 10th. 

Is there a general estimation of how high RBs like Forte or Woodhead are going to go in this format?
At least a round earlier than people in this thread are assuming. Most likely 2.

Unless you're playing with total guppies, the days of winning titles in PPR by falling into a slew of pass-catching RBs in the mid rounds are long gone.

Forte's FP ADP is late-3rd, Woodhead's is mid-5th, and Gio's early-6th ... which, let's not forget, means that in half of drafts they're going earlier than that.  Good luck going with 4 WRs and a QB or TE to start things off and expecting two of these guys to fall into your lap.

At #1 it's pretty straightforward to me.....

I take Antonio Brown, and then BPA for the next 4 rounds.  I prefer to go RB/WR in rounds 2-3, but I can start with 3WRs out of the gate in a PPR start 3 WR format.

Starting to rethink the 2/3 turn.  If the best wr don't fall, it might be best to take one rb like Ingram or mccoy there so you don't get shafted at the rb position 

It sounds like any PPR league upsets the draft positional balance with a premium on WR.  Is this good for your league or would you be better off with a scoring system that puts equal 

weight on each position (QB, RB, WR and TE)??

It sounds like any PPR league upsets the draft positional balance with a premium on WR.  Is this good for your league or would you be better off with a scoring system that puts equal 

weight on each position (QB, RB, WR and TE)??
I'm not a fan of PPR. It was put in place to even the field between WRs and RBs, but that was when you had guys like Jamal Lewis posting 2200 yards, 14 TDs but only finishing as RB4 on the year. Those days are gone, the league is more pass happy than ever. There's no need to prop up pass catchers anymore. It does make more pass catching RBs viable but I'm not sure that really makes sense. Why is a RB that catches 50 passes for 500 yards worth more than a RB that rushes for 500 yards and 7 TDs?

the main problem with going wr-wr-wr, or rb-rb-rb whatever you choose, is if any value guys fall it makes it harder to take them if you still don't decent players at the running back position.

edit to say main and not man

the man problem with going wr-wr-wr, or rb-rb-rb whatever you choose, is if any value guys fall it makes it harder to take them if you still don't decent players at the running back position.
exactly...you need to think of the meta game...which is why I proposed taking Lacy at the 2/3 turn.

and I understand people will say you can trade if you draft idk tyler locket a round or 2 after your supposed and he blows up. you can deal him for a quality rb, but from my experience a lot of my re drafts leagues seem to have little to no trading... or in ffpc trading isn't allowed

msudaisy26 said:
Not a bad idea, but in my experiences this year, your ADP'S are off starting in the 4th. 

Your receivers at 4.12 are all gone. They start going at the end of the 3rd and are gone by 4.06ish usually. 

You can hold off on Wilson until the 6/7 turn. 

Duke and Gio are both going in the mid 5th to mid 6th. 

Yeldon has  dropped into the 9th. 

Ertz is going in the 9th or early 10th. 
I was using https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php for ADP

Maclin (5.01)/Baldwin(4.11)/Tate(4.09)/Decker(5.08)
Wilson (5.05)
Duke(7.03)/Duke(6.08)
Foster(6.07)/Yeldon(8.07)
Ertz(10.12)

Picking at 1.01 seems like the pick is pretty straight-forward, you take Brown, PPR or standard. Taking anyone else *could* work out too (OBJ, Gurley maybe) but you're really trying to outsmart yourself, he's as safe and with as much upside as there is to be found. The real question is the 2/3 turn and what to do there. I don't have a current ADP list in front of me, from memory you could pick any 2 of the following:

K.Allen

D.Thomas

M.Evans

TY

Marshall

Jeffrey

A.Cooper

B.Cooks

M.Ingram

D.Martin

L.McCoy

Personally hate the RB's available at the 4/5 turn, as someone pointed out earlier, they "make your skin crawl". So I find it hard to turn down one of those RB's plus a WR from that list and give some flexibility to the remainder and not be pushed into positional drafting, rather than value drafting.

ebsteelers said:
the main problem with going wr-wr-wr, or rb-rb-rb whatever you choose, is if any value guys fall it makes it harder to take them if you still don't decent players at the running back position.

edit to say main and not man
I don't think so with WR. I plant to go 5 or 6 WRs (I count Gronk as a WR and maybe Reed) before I likely touch a RB.

Ilov80s said:
I'm not a fan of PPR. It was put in place to even the field between WRs and RBs, but that was when you had guys like Jamal Lewis posting 2200 yards, 14 TDs but only finishing as RB4 on the year. Those days are gone, the league is more pass happy than ever. There's no need to prop up pass catchers anymore. It does make more pass catching RBs viable but I'm not sure that really makes sense. Why is a RB that catches 50 passes for 500 yards worth more than a RB that rushes for 500 yards and 7 TDs?
I think I was listening to uth the other day, and someone had a question about playing in ppr league based off yardage rather than position or just regular ppr

catch for 1-10 yards was .5 points  Plus points for receiving yards

catch for 11-40 yards  1 point  plus receiving yards

catch 40-65 2 points

catch 65 + 3 points

I don't remember if that was exact numbers but I thought it was a neat idea,  it kind of is a big play bonus but still a bit different

I thought it was neat

I think I was listening to uth the other day, and someone had a question about playing in ppr league based off yardage rather than position or just regular ppr

catch for 1-10 yards was .5 points  Plus points for receiving yards

catch for 11-40 yards  1 point  plus receiving yards

catch 40-65 2 points

catch 65 + 3 points

I don't remember if that was exact numbers but I thought it was a neat idea,  it kind of is a big play bonus but still a bit different

I thought it was neat
Interesting. Whatever is fun for the league is what should be done. It's just a game and as long as everyone knows the rules, all scoring options are fair. To me standard already has a built in bonus for catching a 60 yard pass vs a 40 yard pass. 

will post my draft from mastersfantasyleague  in a moment. i drafted from the 1.01 tonight

start 1 qb    

1-3 rbs   1-3 wrs   need to start at least 1 rb and 1 wr  

1 te  

1- kicker

1- defense

Users who are viewing this thread