What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Star Trek series (1 Viewer)

Tackle Breaker

Footballguy
I've been a low long Star Trek fan and I wanted to ask other fans if they hated the design of the new ship and the fact that the show takes place pre TNG. I feel like the post TNG DS9 and Voyager era would make for the best unexplored territory.

Yes,  I would have preferred new stories and characters,  but reboots are all the rage in this decade.  

I've been a low long Star Trek fan and I wanted to ask other fans if they hated the design of the new ship and the fact that the show takes place pre TNG. I feel like the post TNG DS9 and Voyager era would make for the best unexplored territory.
It probably wouldn't be a big deal if everything Star Trek over the last decade or so wasn't already a prequel/reboot.  Does this take place in the rebooted movie universe or something?

I agree that it's time to move back to the future.

It probably wouldn't be a big deal if everything Star Trek over the last decade or so wasn't already a prequel/reboot.  Does this take place in the rebooted movie universe or something?

I agree that it's time to move back to the future.
The only sure thing right now is that the show takes place in the "prime" timeline, and has nothing to do with the Abrams movies.

The time period in which the series will take has place has *not* been set.  They just confirmed that at Comic-Con last week. 

The only sure thing right now is that the show takes place in the "prime" timeline, and has nothing to do with the Abrams movies.

The time period in which the series will take has place has *not* been set.  They just confirmed that at Comic-Con last week. 
All it takes is 1 look at that junk ship and you can tell...

I'm not a fan of the small saucer section and the larger triangular nacelle section. It's designation is NCC 1031 which means it came before the NCC 1701 TOS Enterprise. The nacelles look like an early version of the TOS Enterprise as well. I respect your opinion but I feel strongly that the ship doesn't look good. 

I'm not a fan of the small saucer section and the larger triangular nacelle section. It's designation is NCC 1031 which means it came before the NCC 1701 TOS Enterprise. The nacelles look like an early version of the TOS Enterprise as well. I respect your opinion but I feel strongly that the ship doesn't look good. 
The registry number doesn't have to mean anything.  During my favorite TOS episode, "The Doomsday Machine," they encountered a wrecked sister ship, the Constellation, NCC-1017.  (The out-of-universe explanation for this is that TPTB bought an AMT model kit of the Enterprise to beat up and film as the Constellation, so the registry number had to be an anagram of NCC-1701.)  That's "earlier" than NCC-1031.  Also, in an era when they were making starships with five-digit registry numbers like Voyager's NCC-74656, they were still building NCC-1701-Xs.  Finally, the Starfleet science vessel (the Grissom) in ST: III was NCC-638, as were several other members of its class later shown in TNG, etc (including the DS9 pilot).  So the available evidence conflicts and may mean that the registry number refers to the class of the vessel instead of its time/date of construction. 

There are also fan theories speculating on a possible Section 31 tie-in, noting that Bryan Fuller likes Halloween references, guessing at the possibility of a time ship or a ship lost in time but found in another era, etc. 

There's also the significant possibility that the registry number will change from the trailer. 

In short, I wouldn't attach too much significance to the number as indicative of the era just yet. 

Did not know images were out on the new ship, my initial impression is not good. Looks like fan art to be honest, an even worse design than the NX-01 from Enterprise. Was surprised to learn it is likely a homage to Ralph McQuarrie's concept art of a movie Enterprise from the 1970's. Explains why it doesn't really jive with any existing designs from the previous shows/movies.

Based on the ship design, setting seems almost certainly in between Star Trek Enterprise and TOS. Top views of saucer section reminds me of the the Reliant, which in original canon was an older ship design than the retrofitted 1701.

Also bummed that anyone outside the US will be able to watch this on a normal Netflix subscription, but us Americans would have to sign up for a new CBS streaming service. As much as I loved Star Trek decades ago, I doubt I will be paying extra to watch it.

Also :nerd:

It looks like a TOS Romulan ship with a saucer added to the front.  They need to paint a bird on the bottom of it.

The registry number doesn't have to mean anything.  During my favorite TOS episode, "The Doomsday Machine," they encountered a wrecked sister ship, the Constellation, NCC-1017.  (The out-of-universe explanation for this is that TPTB bought an AMT model kit of the Enterprise to beat up and film as the Constellation, so the registry number had to be an anagram of NCC-1701.)  That's "earlier" than NCC-1031.  Also, in an era when they were making starships with five-digit registry numbers like Voyager's NCC-74656, they were still building NCC-1701-Xs.  Finally, the Starfleet science vessel (the Grissom) in ST: III was NCC-638, as were several other members of its class later shown in TNG, etc (including the DS9 pilot).  So the available evidence conflicts and may mean that the registry number refers to the class of the vessel instead of its time/date of construction. 

There are also fan theories speculating on a possible Section 31 tie-in, noting that Bryan Fuller likes Halloween references, guessing at the possibility of a time ship or a ship lost in time but found in another era, etc. 

There's also the significant possibility that the registry number will change from the trailer. 

In short, I wouldn't attach too much significance to the number as indicative of the era just yet. 
Fair enough. Another theory is that it takes place after the Khitomer Accords and is a hybrid Starfleet/Klingon ship which explains the triangular back sort of. At the end of the trailor there is rhe subtle sound of a cloaking device being activated which I completely missed before. Check out the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9_S9HaVMzSQ

All it takes is 1 look at that junk ship and you can tell...
She'll make point five past light-speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

Wait, so you have to pay more than the normal ridiculously expensive cable bill to watch this? Oh well, it was almost a run.

Users who are viewing this thread