What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Changing over to a FAAB- Other league changes (1 Viewer)

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy
Right now the league is a 10-team (4 keepers) league with roster limitations (2 QB's- 4 RB's- 5 WR's- 2 TE's- 2 Kickers- 2 Defenses) and a WW system determined by your standings week to week with the last place team picking first etc.  The league has gotten a bit stagnant over the past year or so and we're looking to make some changes. For starters we're looking to replace the current WW system with a FAAB.  My questions would be what's considered a standard budget for FAAB?  Are low bids normally $1?  The idea would still be to have a FCFS waiver after each bidding period (one on Wednesday night and another Friday night)...what would be an acceptable charge for the FCFS waivers? Currently FCFS waivers are $2.50 for a drop and $2.50 for an add.

The other proposals were to eliminate the roster restrictions and add a flex.  Currently we roster a total of 21 players...what's a standard roster limit for when there's not restrictions?  21 seems like a lot especially when it doesn't seem like many wont roster a back-up kicker or even a defense maybe.  Also, due to the restrictions being removed is a flex necessary?  Since its just a 10 team league there seems like there would be plenty of players around, however, now more position players will be picked some teams may need the flex.  if so, what's the best flex option?  We currently start  one QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR's 1 TE, K and D.

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently trying to convince one of my leagues that we should go to FAAB. One of my other leagues has it and it has been fun and lead to even more trash talking. The budget we go with is $100. The lowest bid is $1 and then after the FAAB period, it's FCFS for anyone not placed on Waivers.

The same league that uses FAAB decided 2 years ago to go with a more flex friendly lineup. We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 W/R/T, 1 K, and 1 DST. We have a total of 15 players on the roster, but it is a 12-team league.

I'm currently trying to convince one of my leagues that we should go to FAAB. One of my other leagues has it and it has been fun and lead to even more trash talking. The budget we go with is $100. The lowest bid is $1 and then after the FAAB period, it's FCFS for anyone not placed on Waivers.

The same league that uses FAAB decided 2 years ago to go with a more flex friendly lineup. We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 W/R/T, 1 K, and 1 DST. We have a total of 15 players on the roster, but it is a 12-team league.
Are you charged for FCFS waivers after the bidding period?

No one is against it at all and I don't know why we haven't made this change sooner.  Can you give me some insight into how your league operates? 
Sure. Every team gets $100 to start the year. When a player's game begins they are locked and placed on WW. Tuesday is WW claim day. You may place a blind bid from 0 to your full remaining budget on players. Then you rank the claims so you can have backup plans. Wed AM, the winners of the WW bidding get their players. All the other players not bid on become FA and can be added for free until their next game starts. If a player is cut, he goes on WW for 24 hours. People can place blind bids on him during that 24 hours. If nobody bids, he becomes a FA. We allow the trading of FAB $ during the draft and season.

Sure. Every team gets $100 to start the year. When a player's game begins they are locked and placed on WW. Tuesday is WW claim day. You may place a blind bid from 0 to your full remaining budget on players. Then you rank the claims so you can have backup plans. Wed AM, the winners of the WW bidding get their players. All the other players not bid on become FA and can be added for free until their next game starts. If a player is cut, he goes on WW for 24 hours. People can place blind bids on him during that 24 hours. If nobody bids, he becomes a FA. We allow the trading of FAB $ during the draft and season.
What's the roster size you're using and do you also have a flex?

FAB is a must. I don't even understand why anyone would oppose it. 
The one league I'm trying to get people to use it, some of them say it will take up too much of their time. I'm not really sure how putting a $ amount in when you click "add player" will add so much more time to the process.

The one league I'm trying to get people to use it, some of them say it will take up too much of their time. I'm not really sure how putting a $ amount in when you click "add player" will add so much more time to the process.
It definitely favors the better, more prepared owners. 

We went to FAAB two years ago and it has worked great.  Ours process is the same as @Ilov80s described.  $100 per team to start the season.  Players are free after bidding has ended. 

12 team league
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1Flex(RB.WR,TE) 1K 1D

15 man rosters with position limits of 2 Qb, 5 RB,  5 WR, 2 TE, 2 K, 2 D

I don't get the argument that it takes more effort or time over the other way, but it does favor the more informed and savvy players.

FAAB is the only way to go. Every league should be using it.

Really, once you've decided on FAAB, very few of the other parameters matter all that much - all that having, say, $200 instead of $100 does is wind up doubling most of the bids. The only parameter that really does matter is whether to allow FCFS waivers after the FAAB weekly run. If you're easing a league into FAAB, I'd strongly suggest that you permit this - cutting less sophisticated owners off after Week 4 or whatever because they didn't budget for $1 pickups over the course of the entire season leaves people frothing at the mouth. 

Also IMO just run FAAB once a week, as late as reasonably feasible (we use 11am on Wednesdays) - one league I was in ran FAAB literally every day and it was just stupid, especially for people who have jobs / families / travel and can't be checking into their leagues every single day.

In terms of per-transaction costs, they don't really work all that well in conjunction with FAAB IMO, so pretty much every league I run includes transactions into the entry fee. But if you're feeling adventurous, set a FAAB with no or a very high cap, and make it payable in real money ($1 for $1 FAAB if you're a high-roller, I guess, though I like something like $0.25 real money per $1 of FAAB, since at most sites $1 is the minimum increment).

How does it work if 2 teams bid the same amount for a player?  Is it the first to place a bid or the team with the worse record or do you have those 2 teams rebid?

Yes. This is the most fair way to play imo

How does it work if 2 teams bid the same amount for a player?  Is it the first to place a bid or the team with the worse record or do you have those 2 teams rebid?
I believe on yahoo there is a ww list for tie breakers. And I believe it is set up that when you bid and win you go to the bottom of the list

Users who are viewing this thread