What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Percentage Wise, what type of raise to leave a job you like? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
If you like your job, boss, and company - what type of raise (percentage, not dollars) to leave? 

Hypothetically, due to structure of your company, you can comfortably coast in your current role with as much vacation, being late, leaving early, minimal pressure, for a few years, but no real advancement opportunities, what type of premium (or non-premium) is that? Also assume, your role might be eliminated in 3 years or so, but confidence is high it wouldn't be difficult to quickly find new employment. 

Same commute, vaca, schedule, pressure in new job?  At the salary I'm at which is enough for the lifestyle I desire, these other things are a lot more important.

More pressure usually equates to a less lenient schedule.  That being said, I'd say 40%.  Even if the jobs are identical, I'm not leaving for anything less than a 10-15% bump b/c it takes years to reacquire that familiarity and comfort level with the new job.  I know exactly how much I can get away with and how to get away with it with the current job.

Left for a 30 percent raise(big step up for me at 31 years old) just over a year ago. I liked the job and was getting really good at it but the advancement was coming a little slower than I wanted and I didn't like my boss at all.

Took me all of about a week to realize I'd made a mistake. Much better management at my new place but the processes are much more inefficient and I spend most of my time doing the worst parts of the job. And to top if off, the boss I didn't like at the old place was baaically forced out like 9 months later. 

Puting  a lot of money in the bank and everyone at the new gig is really supportive but I still can't wait to get out. The grass isn't always greener and the extra money feels like it means nothing to me right now because my lifestyle hasn't changed at all. (Other than the fact that that new job makes me miserable and the commute is a little longer) The goal was to upgrade to a bigger place but I got spooked because I'm not sure if I'll have to take a payout when/if I leave. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Left for a 30 percent raise(big step up for me at 31 years old) just over a year ago. I liked the job and was getting really good at it but the advancement was coming a little slower than I wanted and I didn't like my boss at all.

Took me all of about a week to realize I'd made a mistake. Much better management at my new place but the processes are much more inefficient and I spend most of my time doing the worst parts of the job. And to top if off, the boss I didn't like at the old place was baaically forced out like 9 months later. 

Puting  a lot of money in the bank and everyone at the new gig is really supportive but I still can't wait to get out. The grass isn't always greener and the extra money feels like it means nothing to me right now because my lifestyle hasn't changed at all. The goal was to upgrade to a bigger place but I got spooked because I'm not sure if I'll have to take a payout when/if I leave. 
This is what worries me. I love my current boss, but 30% is just so much money to leave on the table.

Considering the same here.  Looking for a 25% bump at least plus other options to make it even more attractive (Closer to home or work from home, stocks, bonuses, etc)

Based on the position I am looking for and the skillset, the market says I should be able to get that and potentially more.  Good chance I could bump up by 35%

If you like your job, boss, and company - what type of raise (percentage, not dollars) to leave? 

Hypothetically, due to structure of your company, you can comfortably coast in your current role with as much vacation, being late, leaving early, minimal pressure, for a few years, but no real advancement opportunities, what type of premium (or non-premium) is that? Also assume, your role might be eliminated in 3 years or so, but confidence is high it wouldn't be difficult to quickly find new employment. 
If you are happy and financially comfortable, it's kind of hard to put a % on it. More money is always great, but in my experience, almost no amount is worth hating going to work every day. If we're talking enough money to seriously upgrade your lifestyle, then different story.

Considering the same here.  Looking for a 25% bump at least plus other options to make it even more attractive (Closer to home or work from home, stocks, bonuses, etc)

Based on the position I am looking for and the skillset, the market says I should be able to get that and potentially more.  Good chance I could bump up by 35%
How happy are you at your current job?

More money is always great, but in my experience, almost no amount is worth hating going to work every day. If we're talking enough money to seriously upgrade your lifestyle, then different story.
This is a good point. I think you really have to consider what you'd do with the money, how it would improve your life and how much happier it would make you. If it's just going to sit in the bank while you hate your job it's not worth it.

For what it's worth, I had a time in my current job some years ago when people I had to deal with there were making my life miserable, and I was very close to looking around and leaving. Years later that person has moved on, my workload and the people I deal with have changed, and I'm in a great place with a bright future. Not leaving is probably one of the best things I ever did. 

took a pretty big pay cut to come out west to get into an emerging industry.  I'm now part of a small group building a start up with skin in the game.   I just came out of start up after 20 years making a great income, but never got the big pay off.  I'm going to try it one more time.

The more you make, the lower the percentage I'd consider. 20% is about right for me now. My job 1 to job 2, and job 2 to job 3 were both 100% raises. I'll never get that again. 

The intangibles are a big part of the picture.  If you like the people you work with and like the job the bump needs to be significant for the risk that you don't find that same comfort.  For me a flexible schedule is a huge part of the "payment" of a job.  With kids playing sports and having other interests that require a flexible schedule that is more important than just a flat salary increase.  Also, enjoying the people you work with is a biggie.  Being able to enjoy being there and not stressed out because of an ##### causing issues really helps the day go by better.

To me it is more about the intangibles associated with the total job package that is important.

I left a big firm legal job for a huge pay cut but much more manageable lifestyle. I'm still making enough where my quality of life wasn't materially impacted, and I have two little kids that I would never see otherwise, so I don't regret the move. 

On the other hand, it's possible for me to go back to a big firm and more than double my salary for about twice the work and pressure. Even though I'd probably be miserable, sometimes I wonder if it would be worth it. Haven't been sufficiently motivated to pursue it further though, at least yet. 

The short answer is that it's all relative. Depends where you are on the lifestyle/compensation continuum and where you want to be. 

About 40% for me.. I make good money,  no stress,  have good teams under me,  make up own hours, good vaca, don't travel much,  within 20 miles commute, have great work life balance in that can almost always leave when I want and dint work over my 40 hours

Part of me has pondered jumping back into a high paying city gig when the kids are gone at 50.  I really liked working in the city, but the commute was brutal. Maybe get a place in the city as well as some smalll retreat out in the boonies. That is if I don't decide to just cruise it out for 5 more years and retire early with less loot. 

Part of me has pondered jumping back into a high paying city gig when the kids are gone at 50.  I really liked working in the city, but the commute was brutal. Maybe get a place in the city as well as some smalll retreat out in the boonies. That is if I don't decide to just cruise it out for 5 more years and retire early with less loot. 
I couldn't imagine living with my parents until I was 50. 

IMO, if it doesn't change your life significantly, stay where you are. Sure, we all want more money, but the grass isn't always greener. Many people, dare I say most people, can't claim to like their boss, company and job. 

I moved internally for a 30% bump plus SVP title. I loved the people I previously worked with and had been there 15 years.  I then hated most of the next 2 years, until the CFO offered me a new role in his Division for a 12% raise.   I've loved the last 3 years and am happy again.

So, 30% was the number that got me to jump and I'm glad now that it has worked out, but if I knew what it would be like and they told me I had to stay 5 years, I would have required a lot more than 30%. 2 - 5 years of misery is a hefty price in the prime of your life. 

IMO, if it doesn't change your life significantly, stay where you are. Sure, we all want more money, but the grass isn't always greener. Many people, dare I say most people, can't claim to like their boss, company and job. 
Two out of three ain't bad

It would have to be quite a bit...at least 40% or 50% more.

The money will be no good if you are miserable/stressed out all day. 

I left a job last year that I liked, but it was starting to go south.  I had all the freedom I wanted (I was a functional dept head), great salary for the placed I lived, etc.  I moved a couple states over for 15% salary increase.  If the job hadn't started to deteriorate it would have taken a lot more (probably 30%+).  Thankfully the new job is great.  For me to leave now, even if I didn't have to relocate, it would take 30%+.  I've worked some jobs that I hated to go to everyday and that's a big fear in changing jobs.  My lifestyle is very comfortable, so the intangibles are big.

Anyone else leave a good situation for more money? 

Regret it or happy with decision?
I got a 30ish percent raise for a good job that I like.  I hate my boss and my new location.  The pressure is 100x greater than my old job used to be.  Financially, when it is all said and done, after tax it was definitely a huge mistake.  I took 2 days of vacation last year and 3 so far this year.  Not worth it.  Make sure you do a ton of diligence before you go.

I just had a second interview today. I'm asking for a 50% increase over what I'm making now. (I fall in the low income portion of the FFA) I don't hate my job, my boss can be a tool sometimes, but the biggest concern is that my company probably won't be around in 3 years. I asked for 50% because I'm expecting a promotion in the next 60 days at my current job. Same boss, and somewhere around a 40% increase. I could just stay and keep looking for another job. But I like the company I've been interviewing with and it would offer new challenges. 

Now that I look at the numbers, should I be asking for more than 50% ?

Anyone else leave a good situation for more money? 

Regret it or happy with decision?
I left a crappy situation for more money and love where I am at now. To get me to leave now it would need to be a step up and 30% min raise, and then I would still have to really think about it. To get me to leave without hesitation would take 50% more.

I'd say 20%, but depends how happyyou are there. I recently switched companies for quite a bit less (like 5%) but I had grown sick of where I was at and what I was doing and there just werent any opportunities there.  New position offers me a lot of opportunity and seems pretty exciting so far.

I was also closer to top end of range where I was and have some room to grow here.  Likely could have gotten more money elsewhere in the long run but this new role gave me the opportunity to do something totally different.  New boss seems really cool as well (old boss was cool on a personal level but terrible manager)

50 cents an hour more and I am packing up my ####.  I am kinda like a mercenary. Go to whoever pays the most.  

I left a high stress job for a lower stress job and a 15% pay raise two years ago.  Probably the best decision for me, high stress jobs can burn you out and 6 years was enough for me.  Those kinds of jobs do build your resume though, and although I enjoyed that job more day-to-day, there is some comfort in not having to respond to things at 11pm on Saturday night. 

So the averages in here from all answers so far equates to roughly 30% for a very happy employee to leave... Makes sense.

Good stuff BTW, thank you everyone. I'm sure a bunch of us have faced these decisions at some point or another. Sounds like there were some good and some bad outcomes.

What's the potential new job's policy on sleeveless shirts?  :gunshow:
Looking around the office, much less laid back :kicksrock:

Some questions I don't want to ask during interviews:

So, I've gotten comfortable coming in around 10 and leaving around 5 at my current job, is that sort of thing frowned upon here?

What conference room is best for a nap?

Can we start drinking in the office around 4pm?

Also, big pointer... Huge success that they loved:

Came into the first interview with a 30/60/90 plan in a well crafted PowerPoint. Home run! 

Highly recommend this, you'll thank me later.

Looking around the office, much less laid back :kicksrock:

Some questions I don't want to ask during interviews:

So, I've gotten comfortable coming in around 10 and leaving around 5 at my current job, is that sort of thing frowned upon here?

What conference room is best for a nap?

Can we start drinking in the office around 4pm?
Is a 2 hour lunch break too much?    Can anyone tell if I've been surfing the web all day?    How much can I inflate my time estimates before someone will call me on it.  See that type of accumulated knowledge, its hard to put a price tag on.   I love coming in after all the new guys have arrived for the day and leaving before they do.   Sucks being new.

I just had a similar situation ( minus possibly being eliminated in 3 years).  Raise was about 20%, and I ended up staying put - so for me, I'd say 30-40%.

Users who are viewing this thread