What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2016 Summer Olympics (1 Viewer)

Ned

Footballguy
Figured I'd start a thread where we can discuss the actual Olympics in here without all of the stupid conditions at Rio.  I have a ton of respect for these athletes that have dedicated their lives to their sport.  I love the track & field events - can't wait!

The US women's soccer looked good last night winning 2-0 against New Zealand.  France looked even better against Colombia.  US vs. France is going to be awesome.

Google has a nice schedule that makes it easy to follow along what's happening and when.  https://www.google.com/#q=olympics+schedule&mie=oly%2C["%2Fm%2F03tnk7"%2C1%2C"r"%2C1]

NBCSN's app was great for watching the 2012 Olympics on the go - hopefully its as good or better this time around.

Today kicks off the Men's soccer tournament - 8 games going on from 12-9pm today. :popcorn:  

Do we have any other fencers here?  I took up fencing a few years ago after falling in love with the sport during the 2012 Olympics.

Though the sport is traditionally dominated by European countries, I think the US could possibly do some damage this year.  For men's foil, Alexander Massialas is the current world #1 and Gerek Meinhardt is #4.  Miles Chamley-Watson is #18.  Massialas and Meinhardt should be challenging for individual medals, and the team should have a shot at a medal.  In men's sabre, Eli Dershwitz and Daryl Homer each have outside shots at a medal, though I would be surprised if either earned one.

For women's foil, Lee Kiefer has a strong chance at a medal with Nzingha Prescod having an outside chance.  Prescod has been getting some publicity as a rare black female fencer at the top levels of the American sport.  Women's sabre is really the American bread-and-butter.  Mariel Zagunis won gold in 2004 and 2008 and is still the world #3.  Ibtihaj Muhammad is ranked 8th and has an outside shot at a medal.  The women's team sabre should contend for a medal as well.  

I suspect we'll be hearing a lot about Ibtihaj Muhammad in the coming weeks as she will be the first American to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab.  She just finished second to Michael Phelps in the team vote for who gets to carry the American flag in the Opening Ceremony and was profiled by both CNN and the Wall Street Journal literally within the past 24 hours.

I suspect we'll be hearing a lot about Ibtihaj Muhammad in the coming weeks as she will be the first American to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab.  She just finished second to Michael Phelps in the team vote for who gets to carry the American flag in the Opening Ceremony and was profiled by both CNN and the Wall Street Journal literally within the past 24 hours.
I saw a story on her by ESPN a few days ago.  Cool stuff!

Pretty cool to see her intensity while fencing, but seemed like a really sweet girl when being interviewed.  

Steve Tasker said:
Do we have any other fencers here?  I took up fencing a few years ago after falling in love with the sport during the 2012 Olympics.

Though the sport is traditionally dominated by European countries, I think the US could possibly do some damage this year.  For men's foil, Alexander Massialas is the current world #1 and Gerek Meinhardt is #4.  Miles Chamley-Watson is #18.  Massialas and Meinhardt should be challenging for individual medals, and the team should have a shot at a medal.  In men's sabre, Eli Dershwitz and Daryl Homer each have outside shots at a medal, though I would be surprised if either earned one.

For women's foil, Lee Kiefer has a strong chance at a medal with Nzingha Prescod having an outside chance.  Prescod has been getting some publicity as a rare black female fencer at the top levels of the American sport.  Women's sabre is really the American bread-and-butter.  Mariel Zagunis won gold in 2004 and 2008 and is still the world #3.  Ibtihaj Muhammad is ranked 8th and has an outside shot at a medal.  The women's team sabre should contend for a medal as well.  

my alma mater was a perennial US powerhouse in fencing... lots of national titles and olympic competitors, so I became loosely aware of it and always found it interesting. would love to get my 9yo involved; will make sure he watches some of it this year.

my alma mater was a perennial US powerhouse in fencing... lots of national titles and olympic competitors, so I became loosely aware of it and always found it interesting. would love to get my 9yo involved; will make sure he watches some of it this year.
It's actually a pretty good sport for kids.  My club has a lot more kids/teens than adults in their programs.

It's actually a pretty good sport for kids.  My club has a lot more kids/teens than adults in their programs.
cool. do the kids actually get exercise doing it? I've always wondered about that. also... at least here- seems like a sport of the rich folk. 

cool. do the kids actually get exercise doing it? I've always wondered about that. also... at least here- seems like a sport of the rich folk. 
The place where I play squash/racquetball has a fencing program for kids. Based on the drills and stuff I've seen they get tons of exercise. It looks like a lot of fun. A friend's kid is pretty into it (travels for tournaments, etc) and they are not rich. Probably different in the NE though, and It does seem like it would require a lot of expensive gear. Looking forward to watching over the next few weeks. 

The place where I play squash/racquetball has a fencing program for kids. Based on the drills and stuff I've seen they get tons of exercise. It looks like a lot of fun. A friend's kid is pretty into it (travels for tournaments, etc) and they are not rich. Probably different in the NE though, and It does seem like it would require a lot of expensive gear. Looking forward to watching over the next few weeks. 
I think it depends on how serious you want to take it.  Our club's monthly fees cover equipment rental for everything but the glove.  I own the glove and a foil (the only discipline I currently fence, though I will be trying sabre at some point in the future), but rent everything else - jacket, mask, electric equipment, etc. - as part of my monthly fee.  Same applies to the kids.  I'm sure there are ultra-prestigious schools where you are required to pay for a ton of equipment up front.  No one at our club is going pro any time soon though....

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the electronic sensors pretty much mandatory? Doesn't seem like a judge would be able to keep up on his/her own. 

Are the electronic sensors pretty much mandatory? Doesn't seem like a judge would be able to keep up on his/her own. 
For tournament fencing, yes.  For training sessions, no.  Again I think it depends on the club and the level of competition.  Our club holds quarterly tournaments....outside of the tournaments we train without electric equipment.  Some of our fencers (not me, I'm too old for this ####) do travel to tournaments in the region and they definitely have their electric gear.  For schlubs like me though, really no need at this point.  If you're looking to get your kid into a martial art - which is what fencing is, at its core - and active with something to do a night or two a week, probably no need for electric gear.  If you want to compete and you're angling for a college scholarship and whatnot, you'll probably need electric gear.

Let's get back to talking about hot chicks, because if there's one thing the internet doesn't have enough of...

Looking to get my toddler involved too.  Starting him off with moving some hot cigarettes we stole off a delivery truck.

Olympics are terribly boring.  Really should just axe the whole thing 
They've largely jumped the shark for me personally but I can see where there is value for some. More and more, though, I'm thinking that all the team sports need to be jettisoned because of the nationalistic implications.

I hope one of them is goofily sexual in nature, papajohnpizza2000.

eta: wait... not in regards to the toddler of course. :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness for the live feeds from other countries. And I won't have to stay up til 2-4AM to watch them.
You can watch literally everything on the nbc sports app provided you have cable or a streaming service like vue or sling. 

NBC coverage of the origin of flight pissed me off.  America's invention of flight is a source of pride and NBC's willingness to sell it away it without claiming our heritage is shameful.  The commentator essentially said, "This is what they believe...  Let's give it to them."  #### you, NBC!

NBC coverage of the origin of flight pissed me off.  America's invention of flight is a source of pride and NBC's willingness to sell it away it without claiming our heritage is shameful.  The commentator essentially said, "This is what they believe...  Let's give it to them."  #### you, NBC!
This is probably just below "slow driver in left lane" of things that bug me.

Are you talking about during the opening ceremonies? What were they supposed to do, not show it? Kind of a dumb thing to be angry about.
That's what Mr. Ham believes. Let's give it to him.

Are you talking about during the opening ceremonies? What were they supposed to do, not show it? Kind of a dumb thing to be angry about.
No, just correct the history.  I'd be equally put out if they took credit for jazz, hip hop or bailing Europe out of World War II.  

Edit:  in fairness, at least they took credit for slavery and environmental abuse, so there was that.  

Last edited:
Need a Red Zone-like channel that automatically switches to the most interesting thing being aired on any of these channels at the current moment. 

Users who are viewing this thread