What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sunflower Seeds: Appropriate Office Snack? (1 Viewer)

Cracking Sunflower Seeds in the Office?

• Appropriate

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Inappropriate

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

RUSF18

Footballguy
We have a pretty open floor at my office. My desk isn't quite what you'd think of as a cubicle but maybe technically is...it's an L shape with low walls on two sides (North and West) and is open to the East and South. I'm about 7 feet from the big windows that line the entire side of the building facing Park Ave here in Midtown. The closest person to me is about 20 feet away, although people pass by me more closely when walking around the floor. 

I'm sitting here eating delicious shelled sunflower seeds. Well, more like enjoying the hell out of the salt overload before cracking the shells, getting the seeds, and spitting out the remnants. I realized that this might not be a very appropriate thing to do in an office setting. Please note...I'm not spitting these shells wildly and with force like I would back when I played baseball. It's more of a controlled, quiet spit into a paper cup. I know no one can hear it, and I don't think anyone can see me...but might if they were to pass by at the right time and I think I could understand if they thought this was gross. I definitely wouldn't bother if I had another guy sitting 5 feet from me in a typical "cube" setting.

So what do you say...sunflower seeds at work, appropriate or inappropriate?

Can you buy them unshelled?

might annoy people. Hard for me to say because I love them and wouldn't be bothered because I understand

alternatively you could try pumpkin seeds. Softer shells and much less noise

Last edited by a moderator:
100% appropriate. Not even gross. It's the only way to eat the shelled ones and thanks to baseball, it's something man and woman alike are used to the sight of. Completely socially normal and acceptable.

Depends.  Are one that cracks your seeds with your mouth open or closed?  Open where I have to hear your snapping and cracking would get old really fast.  If you do it closed and quite they are acceptable. 

Yea as long as you're not over there pretending to be Bobby Cox with 4 foot loogie sounding spits then you're fine.

Kind of gross, and the noise can be annoying, but there are much grosser behaviors that I'm sure are going on and you sound like you are being conscientious about it.

Wait, doesn't "shelled" mean the shells have been removed already and "unshelled" means they still have the shells on them?  Or is this one of those things I've been wrong about my whole life like the pronunciation of "Pho"?

Can you buy them unshelled?
What's the fun in that?

Depends.  Are one that cracks your seeds with your mouth open or closed?  Open where I have to hear your snapping and cracking would get old really fast.  If you do it closed and quite they are acceptable. 
I just popped a couple more in to double check. Definitely closed. I was thinking of the spitting, even in a quiet way, being more of an issue than the cracking. 

Wait, doesn't "shelled" mean the shells have been removed already and "unshelled" means they still have the shells on them?  Or is this one of those things I've been wrong about my whole life like the pronunciation of "Pho"?
It's like flammable/inflammable 

You're 100% right, my brain wasn't working right. Probably from all the salt. 

If we are allowed ear buds/headphones/speakers to prevent us from hearing the related sounds, by all means.

Denied that sound prevention, it gets old very quickly.

Chipmunk technique ftw.  Shelled in one cheek, bring one to middle, unshel, eat, move shells to other cheek.  Repeat.  

Appropriate, but then I don't work in an office, so I don't really know what office ninnies get upset about.

A couple tips from a dipper....a paper towel in the cup should help muffle the sound, if there is any. And there probably is some sound with a bare paper cup. A plastic bottle is also a consideration. You are transferring the shell directly to the rim of the bottle, so there's virtually no sound. You can do the same with a cup, but it's a bit more awkward. 

They're fine.

But then, I also peel carrots and dip them in peanut butter while talking with me coworkers. 

Appropriate, but then I don't work in an office, so I don't really know what office ninnies get upset about.

A couple tips from a dipper....a paper towel in the cup should help muffle the sound, if there is any. And there probably is some sound with a bare paper cup. A plastic bottle is also a consideration. You are transferring the shell directly to the rim of the bottle, so there's virtually no sound. You can do the same with a cup, but it's a bit more awkward. 
Rim? You get more points for hitting the bottom. 

Pretty simple IMO. If people can hear you, it's annoying and innapropiate. If they can't, you're fine. 

If he could afford nice pants then wouldn't he buy them pre-shelled?
Maybe the question should have been if I'm the only one who enjoys the activity of removing the seeds from their shells more than the actual eating of the seed. 

Maybe the question should have been if I'm the only one who enjoys the activity of removing the seeds from their shells more than the actual eating of the seed. 
Can you wear a motorcycle helmet at work?

just pop one in your mouth and put down the visor to muffle the sound.

Cjw_55106 said:
Pretty simple IMO. If people can hear you, it's annoying and innapropiate. If they can't, you're fine. 
I Iike this. People should be focused on their work anyways. It's one thing if people can hear you, but if they're getting distracted watching your inaudible spitting, then the problem is with them.

Users who are viewing this thread