What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best draft slot this year? (1 Viewer)

Auction.

But to not be a #### and actually answer your question: late-mid, like 7-10ish. I prefer to be reactionary and this gives you the best of both "turns".

12, 1, 11, 2 and so on.

I like to be a close to the ends as possible. Prefer to draft at 12 over 1 though. In almost every round someone falls that shouldn't have. Then I take a "reach" player with the next pick. Of course if you get a pair of steals than all the better. I also like that I don't miss guys because I convince myself to wait "one more round." This is especially a problem when those dropping players come by. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely dependent on league rules.  In PPR non 3rd Round Reversal, it's very hard to argue against something outside of the top 3 picks.  A pretty big advantage to get brown/Julio/ODB and also get a couple other of those guys right around the tier drop around picks 22-27.

In Standard, Anywhere in the top 4 or 5 is good.

I think in non 3rd round reversal, it's tough to argue for a late pick being the best this year as much as it was last year.  In 3rd round reversal it's a crapshoot and I don't really think there's any best or worst spots (unless it's ppr and i'd still look to take top 3). 

Antonio Brown with Ben playing last year...

was on pace for 169.3 catches.

was on pace for 2,132 yards.

was on pace for 13.3 TDs.

And just to be clear... He was 129-1,700-13 the year before. With Ben leading* the NFL in passing yards per game each season.

I like the 1st spot this year.
Anyone who has first choice of draft slot this year in a PPR league and doesn't opt for the 1-slot needs his (or her) head examined.

In 0PPR, it's closer, but I'd still feel much safer with a pick somewhere in the top 3 than anywhere outside it. If I can't be somewhere in the top 4 (I'll take 4 over 5-10 on the off chance someone ahead of me goes RB at 1, 2, or 3), I'd rather be closer to the turn this year, as in standard scoring I see very little that separates ADPs 5 through ~13 and I'd rather have a crack at two of those guys rather than one.

Another reason (same as every year) is the talent cutoff points, so earlier always serves you better. I see one at the top 28 ADP and two of those guy Im not keen on. So after 2 rounds I want to be early again in round 3. Money around 2/3 turn. The next cutoff is right around 60 ADP and the top of round 1 drafters have a great chance of getting 2 guys (a few inside 60 I dont like) within those ranges at the 4/5 turnaround. 

I dont see the 1/2 turn guys getting enough advantage (statistically this is a historical fact) from their second rounder to make up for the difference in the first. And then they heavily chance being on the outside of talent dropoffs. Of course one-or-two drafters in the middle or the late will get advantages from coaching and make-up or outdo the inherent bias of a standard serpentine. But if it was a draft filled with you as the coach 12 times, then the later spots would lose every time - sans luck.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Anyone who has first choice of draft slot this year in a PPR league and doesn't opt for the 1-slot needs his (or her) head examined.
I agree. Normally I like being near the middle, but this year I'm hoping for #1 to just take Brown and rest easy.

Probably 1st, and then towards the back. I'm liking about #9 (especially if I think I can get something like Green/Freeman or Miller/Robinson). Maybe not quite 12 if I'm looking at Bell and Charles as the 'best' RB options there, but that depends on who falls plus how some things shake out in preseason. This is 0PPR though; in PPR I can't argue with finding the top 3 (if not top 6) WRs more attractive than a RB.

I agree. Normally I like being near the middle, but this year I'm hoping for #1 to just take Brown and rest easy.
If you want to go WR heavy early, the first spot is amazing. You have a realistic chance of getting 3 of the top 12 WRs. If you wanted to go Zero RB, you could get 5 of the top 24 WRs. Something like

One mock I did, I was able to get Brown, Alshon, Evans, Maclin, Decker.  Getting Alshon and Evans at 2/3 might be a bit optimistic. A Cooks or Cooper is probably more likely in the 3rd. Either way, it's quite a start to your team. 

If you want to go WR heavy early, the first spot is amazing. You have a realistic chance of getting 3 of the top 12 WRs. If you wanted to go Zero RB, you could get 5 of the top 24 WRs. Something like

One mock I did, I was able to get Brown, Alshon, Evans, Maclin, Decker.  Getting Alshon and Evans at 2/3 might be a bit optimistic. A Cooks or Cooper is probably more likely in the 3rd. Either way, it's quite a start to your team. 
This.  But I would try to take Brown, one RB and another top 12 or so WR if I held pick 1.  But if I can start with Brown, Alshon and Evans.......yeah I would do that instantly.

The top 3 spots are really good.  I think Brown, Julio and OBJ are so far ahead value wise.  4 and 5 are OK since Gurley and David Johnson are good consolation prizes if you can't land the super elite WRs.  6-8 is where it's really tough.

I'm drafting 10/12 in my big non-PPR money league.

I'm pretty happy with #10 (if I didn't have #1) because I'm pretty much guaranteed one of:

Hopkins
Elliott
Gronk
Miller 

If I could pair Elliott or Miller with a Dez (if he fell to #15) or ARob I'd be pretty happy with that start. I really no want part of Bell or Charles there. I expect a big run on WR through the second round and into the third and I see some real value at RB at the 3/4 turn.

This.  But I would try to take Brown, one RB and another top 12 or so WR if I held pick 1.  But if I can start with Brown, Alshon and Evans.......yeah I would do that instantly.

The top 3 spots are really good.  I think Brown, Julio and OBJ are so far ahead value wise.  4 and 5 are OK since Gurley and David Johnson are good consolation prizes if you can't land the super elite WRs.  6-8 is where it's really tough.
Good chance McCoy or Ingram will be there at 2/3 turn which I think is almost stealing. 

Good chance McCoy or Ingram will be there at 2/3 turn which I think is almost stealing. 
With the way WR runs have been going in the second round that i've seen, there's a good chance that both of them plus Martin are there at the 2/3 turn. I'd like to take one of those 3 but tough to rank them and the problem will be trying to not take 2 of them. Ideally, Brown/Evans/Ingram, something like that. Gives more flexibility at the 4/5 turn as well.

I don't like OBJ as much and Julio/Brown are no-brainers.   1st or 2nd
Not sure why not OBJ, but mine would be Sheppard taking some yards and TDs, this guy will be a steal anywhere rounds 7 & 8 or after (but his ADP is rising).

I am at 1.  No brainer for me is Antonio Brown (ppr redraft)....but the number 2 is a HUGE Steelers fan, so I am entertaining the idea of trading the first pick IF he is willing to make it worth my while.  The problem is identifying what would make it worth my while.  Brown is about as can't miss as you can get in the first round.

I am at 1.  No brainer for me is Antonio Brown (ppr redraft)....but the number 2 is a HUGE Steelers fan, so I am entertaining the idea of trading the first pick IF he is willing to make it worth my while.  The problem is identifying what would make it worth my while.  Brown is about as can't miss as you can get in the first round.
you won't know until you make offer, offer high, at first  :shark:

drafted a $35 FFPC team last night from the 3 spot.  I have been all around it with the 1,2,4,5 picks so far in MFL 10s and the like, but last night in the 3 spot, everything felt perfect as I was drafting.  I didn't feel like I reached for a single player until Jameis in the 10th, and some would  argue that isn't even a reach.  It helps that the two spot took OBJ, so I got Julio, but given the choice in a serpentine draft, I am going 3 all day long and it isn't close right now. 

I drew a 4 spot in the FFPC main event, and am really hoping someone covets the 1.5 TE ppr and takes gronk 1-3.  It seems to happen in a few main even drafts every year.  If that happens, then I imagine I will be just as happy with the 4 spot as the 3.  Getting one of those top 3 WRs is a nice start IMO. 

KFFSC is a little different because of the 3rd round reversal, so in that format, I really don't think it matters too much, but if I can't get the 1-3, I would be happiest at 11 or 12.

In general I'm pretty comfortable from the #5 spot this year. Good chance of either Gurley/Johnson/Hopkins with a solid WR3 in the 4th (Decker/Landry/Mackin.) The 2nd round is problematic. If Freeman is there I grab him and take Jeffrey/Nelson/Thomas. Trickier if I take a stab at Marshall with Forte/Hyde/Lacy/McCoy on the board - often see a late 2nd/early 3rd run on RBs. Which typically means you end up with a great set of WRs but starting RBs are from the Bernard/Duke Johnson/Lewis tier. Or reaching for Jones or Matthews and hoping they get the touches.

I like to be flexible in my approach and let the draft come to me, but that 2nd/3rd round (20 & 29) are tough to predict.

In TE mandatory leagues, Where do you want to draft to get Gronk.

12 team - Q-R-W-T-F-F-K-D

I'm thinking either 9, or 3

In general I'm pretty comfortable from the #5 spot this year. Good chance of either Gurley/Johnson/Hopkins with a solid WR3 in the 4th (Decker/Landry/Mackin.) The 2nd round is problematic. If Freeman is there I grab him and take Jeffrey/Nelson/Thomas. Trickier if I take a stab at Marshall with Forte/Hyde/Lacy/McCoy on the board - often see a late 2nd/early 3rd run on RBs. Which typically means you end up with a great set of WRs but starting RBs are from the Bernard/Duke Johnson/Lewis tier. Or reaching for Jones or Matthews and hoping they get the touches.

I like to be flexible in my approach and let the draft come to me, but that 2nd/3rd round (20 & 29) are tough to predict.
Yeah I think the 5 spot could be nice. You're either getting one of the elite RB1s or could still land a WR like Green or Hopkins. And then in the 2nd, they'll still be plenty of good WR and RB options to choose from.

We are drawing spots today.  The dominator has Gronk 4th overall in these settings.  I'm confident I could get him 8 or 9.   Or is it better to pick 1-2-3

12 TEAM PPR 6 per TD

QB- 1 RB - 1 WR- 1 TE- 2 FLEX- K - D (4 bench)

Drafted from the 5 hole last night...Big 3 went in order (Hopkins 4th)... I wound up with Green/Evans/Edelman

I have 5,  the only problem is that OBJ and David Johnson are keepers.  So Brown, Gurley, Julio, and Ezikeil will likely be gone, leaving me with the choice of WRs D. Hopkins or  AJ Green, RBs Adrian Peterson or LaMarr Miller or TE Gronk.   If a miracle happens and Bell isn't suspended then I'll probably get a shot at Julio or Ezikeil.   Coming back it really depends on what I take in the first.

Link? Where did Gronk go? 12 teams?
12 Team (PPR)....Gronk went 2.3...

The rest of the 1st went

6-Robinson

7-Gurley

8-Dez

9-Devonta

10-AP

11-David Johnson

12-L Bell

The Running Backs I wound up with I'm not proud of, but could shake out ( at least that's what I keep telling myself)

Hyde in the 4th

Langford in the 6th

Duke Johnson in the 7th (PPR Beast)

Rashad Jennings in the 9th

Derrick Henry in the 10th

Users who are viewing this thread