What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Secret Sauce - #2 WR in Good Situation (1 Viewer)

RaiderDave99

Footballguy
We all have our secret sauce that we add to our drafting strategy.  One of mine that I have incorporated is watching a #2 and even maybe #3 receiver leave or get traded from a great passing offense.  For example Emmanuel Sanders going to Denver with Peyton throwing to him helped me in a lot of leagues because I grabbed him earlier than the ADP.  To me Eric Decker is a good receiver but Peyton made him really good.  It was a no brainer Sander would come in and have the season he had and it paid off in spades.  Also Decker going back to the pack in NY which kind of proves that.  Now a bad example was Davante Adams who I drafted last year after Jordy went down higher than I should have.  To be fair though, that was a #1 WR going down not a #2.  

I think a new #2 WR on a great passing team is a fine way to steal value in a draft if they are just coming over and are under the radar as Sanders was when he went to Denver.  However, I am not seeing this too much this year.  Granted I am just dipping my toes back into FFL for this season.  Does anyone see any Sanders for 2016 who are primed to be #2 on a new team with a top 10 QB/Passing Offense?

I was just about to post Benjamin as well.  I liked him before but now that Stevie is hurt it will be all Benjamin as the WR2.

Maybe Marvin Jones? Some people think he has just as good of a shot to get the bulk of targets as Golden Tate. Also, I think Decker proved the opposite of your point last year with a 80/1000/12 season. 

Maybe Marvin Jones? Some people think he has just as good of a shot to get the bulk of targets as Golden Tate. Also, I think Decker proved the opposite of your point last year with a 80/1000/12 season. 
Yeah good season no doubt but really a small part of my point.  More new #2 in a great system.

The answer is Tyler Lockett.   Seahawks are going to be a top 5 offense in both scoring and plays run.  It's Russell Wilson's team now 100%.  After this year the Seahawks will not be thought of as a run first offense.  

Mohamed Sanu

and this doesn't really fit 100% of your criteria, considering he didn't change teams, just recovered from an injury but...Kevin White

The answer is Tyler Lockett.   Seahawks are going to be a top 5 offense in both scoring and plays run.  It's Russell Wilson's team now 100%.  After this year the Seahawks will not be thought of as a run first offense.  
The Lockett love has gone overboard.  I'm not paying his price anymore.

To be honest, I don't care who is an NFL WR1, WR2, or WR3. I only care what they cost in either draft or auction capital and what I see their production being, both best case and worst case.

We all have our secret sauce that we add to our drafting strategy.  One of mine that I have incorporated is watching a #2 and even maybe #3 receiver leave or get traded from a great passing offense.  For example Emmanuel Sanders going to Denver with Peyton throwing to him helped me in a lot of leagues because I grabbed him earlier than the ADP.  To me Eric Decker is a good receiver but Peyton made him really good.  It was a no brainer Sander would come in and have the season he had and it paid off in spades.  Also Decker going back to the pack in NY which kind of proves that. Now a bad example was Davante Adams who I drafted last year after Jordy went down higher than I should have.  To be fair though, that was a #1 WR going down not a #2.  

I think a new #2 WR on a great passing team is a fine way to steal value in a draft if they are just coming over and are under the radar as Sanders was when he went to Denver.  However, I am not seeing this too much this year.  Granted I am just dipping my toes back into FFL for this season.  Does anyone see any Sanders for 2016 who are primed to be #2 on a new team with a top 10 QB/Passing Offense?
Decker finished as WR11 last sason?

Decker isn't a call. Decker was a WR1 last year. 
Its a new season, he's still the #2 WR on NYJ depth chart and I still think he's in a good situation - things that can change year-to-year.

Just trying to answer OP - Sorry for offending you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a new season, he's still the #2 WR on NYJ depth chart and I still think he's in a good situation - things that can change year-to-year.

You're right, The Hank.  OP asked a question concerning getting a WR2 on an NFL roster, not a WR2 in fantasy scoring.  I think the idea here is to target someone who is not thought of as the main receiver on a team that puts up points like a WR1 in fantasy, a la Sanders and Decker ...

You're right, The Hank.  OP asked a question concerning getting a WR2 on an NFL roster, not a WR2 in fantasy scoring.  I think the idea here is to target someone who is not thought of as the main receiver on a team that puts up points like a WR1 in fantasy, a la Sanders and Decker ...
Thanks themitch!

Other ones that I like (some have been mentioned):

Allen Hurns - JAX

Markus Wheaton - PIT

Marvin Jones - DET

Right, pleas forget about how Decker did.  Not my point.  It was about how a #2 being slotted in with Peyton and that potent office and he became more that he was in Pitt.  That happens every year.

Decker is the greatest, I get it.  But not point pf post.  Looking forward to 2016.

Benjamin might be the best one as example.  Rivers throwing to him, he is new, and for sure #2. 

Yessir.  Its great value.

Thanks themitch!

Other ones that I like (some have been mentioned):

Allen Hurns - JAX

Markus Wheaton - PIT

Marvin Jones - DET
I agree those are all great #2 NFL receivers.  But part of the "sauce" is the fact they are on a new team coming into a situation with a great passing offense.  Jones fits this bill as Sanders did.  The other 2 are great #2's but no surprise in a draft therefore not  huge value to be had.  M Jones and Benjamin...I like it.

I agree those are all great #2 NFL receivers.  But part of the "sauce" is the fact they are on a new team coming into a situation with a great passing offense.  Jones fits this bill as Sanders did.  The other 2 are great #2's but no surprise in a draft therefore not  huge value to be had.  M Jones and Benjamin...I like it.
Maybe Hurns doesnt fit your description, thats my fault! - Wheaton will likely be #2 in pecking order taking over for Martavis which I thought he may have been relevant towards this discussion even though he did not change teams from 2015 to 2016

Maybe Hurns doesnt fit your description, thats my fault! - Wheaton will likely be #2 in pecking order taking over for Martavis which I thought he may have been relevant towards this discussion
Absolutely all relevant.  Just think the team switch people don't see coming buried behind the #1 WR.  That's all.  Kinda like I love M Bennett on NE.  They like a 2nd TE as much as 1 over there.  See him being a sleeper..at least relative to his ADP

Not offended, just pointing out Decker doesn't fit the premise of the thread. Decker might be the most underrated guy in fantasy. Last 5 years only Dez, Gronk and Marshall have caught more TD passes than Decker. 

Disagree on Benjamin. The Chargers are expecting to run a lot more formations with 2 TEs or with a FB this year, so WR snaps will be reduced. They are expecting to run more and pass less, so passing attempts and thus targets will be reduced. They not only have a strong WR1 (Allen) but also strong targets at TE (Gates) and RB (Woodhead). The Chargers WR2 has never been a strong fantasy performer, and that isn't likely to change this year. I like Benjamin as an impact player for the Chargers but not as a fantasy WR this year.

My votes...

Mohamed Sanu from Cincy to Atlanta

Mike Wallace from Minnesota to Baltimore could be a sneaky play if Flacco can be accurate on the deep ball enough.

Forget about Sanu. Shanahan's offense is look at Julio....look at Julio again...look at Julio one more time, ok he's covered, look at the TE. Sanu is a long way down the pecking order. Last year, Ryan had an easy 1st down to a wide open Hardy, 5 yards to the left of Tamme. Instead, he threw into a double coverd Tamme for an INT. It was like that all year. It takes a lot for Matt to progress to the right side of the field.....and more time than he will have behind the OL.

I think I'm probably stretching--but I do think that Anquan Boldin could be halfway decent.   Seems like a late round target that could be a WR3 with upside.  Could end up being one of those solid value plays for bye week fill in that might not win you the week--but probably won't hurt you the week you start him either.  

I think I'm probably stretching--but I do think that Anquan Boldin could be halfway decent.   Seems like a late round target that could be a WR3 with upside.  Could end up being one of those solid value plays for bye week fill in that might not win you the week--but probably won't hurt you the week you start him either.  
I think quan's ceiling is around 70 receptions...he definitely has some gas in the tank.

Well, anyone who has read my posts this offseason will not be surprised, but Michael Floyd is going to take over. 

Disagree on Benjamin. The Chargers are expecting to run a lot more formations with 2 TEs or with a FB this year, so WR snaps will be reduced. They are expecting to run more and pass less, so passing attempts and thus targets will be reduced. They not only have a strong WR1 (Allen) but also strong targets at TE (Gates) and RB (Woodhead). The Chargers WR2 has never been a strong fantasy performer, and that isn't likely to change this year. I like Benjamin as an impact player for the Chargers but not as a fantasy WR this year.
Now this is solid feedback. Want to hear the real Sanders of this year that will make the difference.  Debating the guys like Benjamin in that territory of new team, #2 WR, good offense/qb, is healthy. Doesn't mean they will be automatic studs but Sanders a couple years ago was no Brainer and stole him and the championship. 

Rishard Matthews just may be a very pleasant surprise
Agreed! If the O-line can keep Mariota upright I think Matthews will be targeted a lot. "Smash-mouth" run offense my ###, Titans are still going to need to throw in a lot of games.

My other votes would go to... Terrance Williams!

So strange to me that rather than pay their own and keep Rishard Matthews, the Dolphins traded, what, a 3rd rounder for Kenny Stills? Before then investing a 1st, 3rd, and future draft picks in Parker and Carroo...plus the 2nd they spent on Landry and the 3rd they spent on a pass catching RB in Drake. 

Had a perfectly serviceable WR2 on the roster in Matthews and just had to spend a little coin to use a draft pick or two elsewhere. Weird.

Not sure if he is #2 but Larry Fitz is the right answer.
Posted right after Michael Floyd? If Floyd is the #1 there he's even more underrated than I thought. Fitz will still produce but I can easily see the torch being passed this year. 

Users who are viewing this thread