What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

Hi guys.  I've honestly never tried bourbon (not a big liquor drinker, prefer a good IPA) but have recently begun to consider... expanding my tastes. 

Couple of questions:

1. How do you drink bourbon?  Straight, rocks, mixed with anything?  I'm guessing (from what I've seen on tv) a small glass (snifter?).

2. Any good suggestions for a first-timer as far as brand?  Keep in my I don't do liquor much, so something on the... tame side would probably be best to start.

I just started dating a chick who likes her bourbon so I want to at least have a working-knowledge of it if at all possible.

TIA

GP

Hi guys.  I've honestly never tried bourbon (not a big liquor drinker, prefer a good IPA) but have recently begun to consider... expanding my tastes. 

Couple of questions:

1. How do you drink bourbon?  Straight, rocks, mixed with anything?  I'm guessing (from what I've seen on tv) a small glass (snifter?).

2. Any good suggestions for a first-timer as far as brand?  Keep in my I don't do liquor much, so something on the... tame side would probably be best to start.

I just started dating a chick who likes her bourbon so I want to at least have a working-knowledge of it if at all possible.

TIA

GP
Cant speak for others but my drinking preference for bourbon was a bit of a progression, started with drinking decent bourbon with coke, bout 50/50, I would try different mid level bourbons to see what I liked.  From there I slowly reduced the amount o coke I was using over several years till I was at a point where I preferred it on the rocks.  I then started exploring more expensive bourbons.

As for glassware I almost exclusively drink from rock glasses(also know as low ball), I have many of them to include ones with my favorite NFL team on them for Sunday and a Yetti for when I want to be outside or by the fire

Good bottles for under 40 bucks

Eagle Rare

Knob Creek

Makers & Makers 46

Woodford Reserve

Four Roses

Weller Reserve

Buffalo Trace

Last edited by a moderator:
Grey Pilgrim said:
Welcome to the party. Let me get you a glass...

Was at the Yardbird in Vegas over the weekend.  They had Pappy on their menu... "Market Price"  Here is how the conversation with the waitress went..

TD : I see you have Pappy 20 yr on the menu. How much is that?

Waitress: I don't know, let me check.. [leaves for a bit]

Waitress: I'm sorry. We are out of the 20 yr, but we do have the Pappy 23 year.  That is $280.

TD: Hmm.. Tempting, but I'll just stick with my Lagunitas IPA.

Why does the ice have to be crystal clear? What have I been missing about ice all these years?
First of all, it looks super cool. Like, super cool.

Second, and I'm sure this is placebo ish, it tastes "cleaner." Now sure, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test, but in my mind, when I have crystal clear ice, I enjoy the drink more.

Cant speak for others but my drinking preference for bourbon was a bit of a progression, started with drinking decent bourbon with coke, bout 50/50, I would try different mid level bourbons to see what I liked.  From there I slowly reduced the amount o coke I was using over several years till I was at a point where I preferred it on the rocks.  I then started exploring more expensive bourbons.

As for glassware I almost exclusively drink from rock glasses(also know as low ball), I have many of them to include ones with my favorite NFL team on them for Sunday and a Yetti for when I want to be outside or by the fire

Good bottles for under 40 bucks

Eagle Rare

Knob Creek

Makers & Makers 46

Woodford Reserve

Four Roses

Weller Reserve

Buffalo Trace
I agree with this, and my progression was very similar.

HOWEVER, if you are dating a chick who likes bourbon, you'd better not mix yours with coke. Suck it up and start drinking it on the rocks or she'll bail on you.

First of all, it looks super cool. Like, super cool.

Second, and I'm sure this is placebo ish, it tastes "cleaner." Now sure, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test, but in my mind, when I have crystal clear ice, I enjoy the drink more.
I know it looks cool. And I've seen the cool devices that make awesome ice cubes for as little as $180 all the way up to $1000. I'm with you. And while it looks cool, I don't know if there's a taste difference than what I have with these

I know it looks cool. And I've seen the cool devices that make awesome ice cubes for as little as $180 all the way up to $1000. I'm with you. And while it looks cool, I don't know if there's a taste difference than what I have with these
I have those too. I will say that when I use my McCallan Ice ball carver with clear ice, it seems to taste better than the silicone ice. Maybe it’s getting the entire outside layer of ice off which may pick up freezer tastes? I’m not sure, but there seems to be a difference.

My whiskey cubes are in a dedicated beer fridge. There are no odors. Just beer in the bottom and two of those trays in the little freezer. 

I have those trays. They make nice cubes, but definitely pick up odors from the freezer. I'd love one those baller cube makers, but my fly-fishing hobby is expensive enough and my wife would probably leave me.
So when are you getting the baller cube maker?     :excited:

The local beverage store sent out an email of $42.99 for Bulleit Bourbon Barrel Strength  750ml. Is it worth drinking,  and is that a descent price?

The local beverage store sent out an email of $42.99 for Bulleit Bourbon Barrel Strength  750ml. Is it worth drinking,  and is that a descent price?
I’ve never had the Barrel Strength Bulleit.

But, Bulleit bourbon is pretty good, the barrel strength is probably better, you’ve never had it, the price point isn’t bad, so do it so you can try something new.

Was at the Yardbird in Vegas over the weekend.  They had Pappy on their menu... "Market Price"  Here is how the conversation with the waitress went..

TD : I see you have Pappy 20 yr on the menu. How much is that?

Waitress: I don't know, let me check.. [leaves for a bit]

Waitress: I'm sorry. We are out of the 20 yr, but we do have the Pappy 23 year.  That is $280.

TD: Hmm.. Tempting, but I'll just stick with my Lagunitas IPA.
I’ve got a bottle of 23. I strongly suggest you not waste the money. It’s good.... but no way near worth that. 

Drinking Knob Creek as I type. Best stuff ever. 
Love me some knob creek 120pf Barrel picks these days. Some are 14-15 years old... nearly Barrel proof.... usually non chill filtered... and really damn tasty for $35-40z 

I generally don’t #### with Ice but when I do, most of the time if’s a single cube from the ice maker on my fridge. Sometimes when entertaining guests I’ll fill the big silicon cube trays. 95% of the time it’s neat or with a splash of room temp water. 

I agree with this, and my progression was very similar.

HOWEVER, if you are dating a chick who likes bourbon, you'd better not mix yours with coke. Suck it up and start drinking it on the rocks or she'll bail on you.
  Yeah. She's a chick. I guarantee she's mixing. Ginger probably.

Also, she probably hasn't heard of 1/8 of the potables mentioned in this thread. Play along. You'll be fine.

Havent been able to find Eagle Rare lately... went with my son to the PX and they had a ton of them. $8 less a bottle too.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Went to a really cool bourbon bar in Covington Ky recently called OKBB (Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar). Nice atmosphere & knowledgeable bartender. Started with the flight of the day which was Old Forester Statesman, Cassius Clay & Colonel E.H. Taylor SB. Followed that up with some Weller Special Reserve. 

Will be going back.  :banned:

OK, so I was not at my normal bourbon supplier recently and decided to take a chance on something I've never seen before. Cask and something. It was right around $25 so I decided to take a shot at it (see what I did there?). I popped it last night after a very long day and took a sniff of the bottle to see what would resonate. Whoa. It had a heavy sweetness aroma to it. Like candy and nuts almost. I took another sniff, thinking I somehow 'mis-smelled' it (not even sure that's a thing). Still there. Really sugary and nutty. I check the bottle and find that it's Toffee-Walnut bourbon. Now not being a fan of flavored whiskies (what's wrong with bourbon flavored bourbon?), I decided to give it a go anyway since I had opened the bottle. I didn't hate it. I'm glad I smelled it though. Had I sipped it and not known that it was supposed to be sweet, I probably would've hated it. 

This is the stuff.

Not something I would sip often, but I'll leave it on the shelf and imbibe from it from time to time. Might be good for guests of folks that are looking to ease into the brown spirits. 

Debating what I’m going to sip on tonight. Think I’m going to start with a glass of the Old Fashioneds we are barrel aging for Memphis in May. About 3 weeks into the aging now... 4 more to go. 20L and 10L new oak casks with level 3 char. 

In 10 days my buddies from the TN Air Guard are off to Kentucky for a quick 2 day trip to pick a private barrel of Blantons from Buffalo Trace. We’ve done a couple of Eagle Rare barrel picks but this is our first Blantons. Can’t wait! Staying in downtown Louisville the night before. 

Debating what I’m going to sip on tonight. Think I’m going to start with a glass of the Old Fashioneds we are barrel aging for Memphis in May. About 3 weeks into the aging now... 4 more to go. 20L and 10L new oak casks with level 3 char. 

In 10 days my buddies from the TN Air Guard are off to Kentucky for a quick 2 day trip to pick a private barrel of Blantons from Buffalo Trace. We’ve done a couple of Eagle Rare barrel picks but this is our first Blantons. Can’t wait! Staying in downtown Louisville the night before. 
Sounds like a blast but quite partial to Lexington or Cincinnati

No idea what that means.  
They are almost certainly not making the whiskey, but instead purchasing whiskey barrels from a source and repackaging it as Heavens Door. Given they have a “Tennessee Bourbon” I am reasonably confident the source is George Dickel... as they sell barrels to private labels like this. 

Thats not a bad thing.. it’s quite common. 

They are almost certainly not making the whiskey, but instead purchasing whiskey barrels from a source and repackaging it as Heavens Door. Given they have a “Tennessee Bourbon” I am reasonably confident the source is George Dickel... as they sell barrels to private labels like this. 

Thats not a bad thing.. it’s quite common. 
Correct in that they're purchasing the liquid but I can't confirm that the source is Dickel.

Picked up some Four Roses Single Barrel last night.  Passed on a bottle of 4R Private Barrel (my local bar gets a barrel every year) at ~2x the price.

heckmanm said:
Picked up some Four Roses Single Barrel last night.  Passed on a bottle of 4R Private Barrel (my local bar gets a barrel every year) at ~2x the price.
4 Roses small batch is my go to. 

Well guys, 

Little backdrop. I am a huge BBA Stout beer snob. Love them. Over the last few months though I have been low carb and avoiding sugar, so that killed my hobby :-( 

I purchased my first ever bottles of bourbon last night.

Eagle Rare and Woodford Reserve. I was pumped to see if this could replace my love for Stout.

Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed. Does this mean it's probably not for me or are there huge variance in other brands?

Y'all need to embrace some Rye here. I mean, in today's day and age, the Scots can stay home, we need 'merican spirits. I get it.

But Rye is where it's at.

:boxing:  

Well guys, 

Little backdrop. I am a huge BBA Stout beer snob. Love them. Over the last few months though I have been low carb and avoiding sugar, so that killed my hobby :-( 

I purchased my first ever bottles of bourbon last night.

Eagle Rare and Woodford Reserve. I was pumped to see if this could replace my love for Stout.

Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed. Does this mean it's probably not for me or are there huge variance in other brands?
If you don't like Eagle Rare, you are not a bourbon guy.    Yet.   Give it a few more tries and if you still don't like it, I will be happy to take it off your hands.  

Users who are viewing this thread